Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
BROs. Two cents about PS1 emulation. I've got a Wipeout itch recently, so went back to the best one:

6HL3SxC.jpg

:obviously:

Unfortunately, initially it looked like I'm too old for this shit, since I've had serious problems with last two tracks, which have to be completed to enable championship. Somehow, the later games, which include analog stick support, were much easier for me to play. But nothing can be done about about it, since Wipeout 2097 doesn't support analog pad, right? Well, wrong!

Wikipedia said:
The Sega Saturn version supported analog control by using its 3D Control Pad, whereas the PlayStation version supported analog control only through using the optional NeGcon twist controller.

:what:

RTK7E5o.jpg

giphy.gif

Well, fuck me. More liek NeOcon, amrite? I had no idea such thing even existed. Switching control device in retroarch:

ueOfW0u.jpg

Changes game's options from this:

MWwLJXH.jpg

To this:

Dy8iuhs.jpg

2g88oir.jpg

gC6n2M3.jpg

Analog stick works fine as NeGcon's twitchery replacement (maximum deflection = maximum lock), plus you can twerk it in emu's options:

7GM9ENI.jpg

And it gets the job done ingame (ship's turning speed depends on how far from the center you turn the analog stick, same way as in "proper" analog support).

:incline:

So, having controls inclined, I moved to graphics (Beetle PSX HW core). Cranking internal res to 4x and enabling PGXP is a good idea.

xg8AnFm.jpg

Distant textures are no longer "wobbly" due to PGXP and game looks great in hi-res:

9hHRrG2.jpg

NutTt2b.jpg

I went with "Nearest" texture filtering, because I preferer pixelated 2D elements to "borked by filtering artifacts" 2D elements:

4CIX1Px.jpg

ZVHf430.jpg

But your mileage may vary.

Protip: Disable "Crop Horizontal Overscan" to get proper Aspect Ratio.

gXJucHE.jpg

Crop enabled / disabled:

XF09P93.jpg

MWwLJXH.jpg

7QSnZST.jpg

NutTt2b.jpg

And that's all, I think:

eWZPhcx.jpg

TDwr4iy.jpg

OFC, you can always switch to 1x Internal Res for vanilla experience:

mkDGoN8.jpg

And try scanlines / shaders instead of increased internal res.

Wipeout 3 works great on these settings:

qtl5f6a.jpg

fBuZPKC.jpg

zbYbRM6.jpg

Except maybe fonts, but these look meh even on 1x Internal:

niGYCId.jpg

Out of curiosity, I've tried the antediluvian way as well, by testing epsxe 2.0.5 + gpuPeteOpenGL2 2.09 plugin. Unortunately, using increased internal res always leads to problems with 2D elements (heavy filtering can help, but leads to new probles with 3D elements) and lack of PGXP hurts the experience (wobbly textures).

Werdict: Resistance is futile. Retroarch all the way.

BTW, I can't go back to other emulators, when RA allows to switch emulation options on the fly, create options / input settings by core / directory / game, map emu hotkeys (save state / load state) to gamepad buttons and use gazillion of other options as well. And you can tweak almost any option of the emulator / gui:

T5vJ5y5.jpg

Let's hope the devs won't screw it up in the future . But knowing humanity, they sure will.

:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
BROs. Two cents about PS1 emulation. I've got a Wipeout itch recently, so went back to the best one:

6HL3SxC.jpg

Unfortunately, initially it looked like I'm too old for this shit, since I've had serious problems with last two tracks, which have to be completed to enable championship. Somehow, the later games, which include analog stick support, were much easier for me to play. But nothing can be done about about it, since Wipeout 2097 doesn't support analog pad, right? Well, wrong!

Wikipedia said:
The Sega Saturn version supported analog control by using its 3D Control Pad, whereas the PlayStation version supported analog control only through using the optional NeGcon twist controller.

:what:

RTK7E5o.jpg

giphy.gif

Well, fuck me. More liek NeOcon, amrite? I had no idea such thing even existed. Switching control device in retroarch:

ueOfW0u.jpg

Changes game's options from this:

MWwLJXH.jpg

To this:

Dy8iuhs.jpg

2g88oir.jpg

gC6n2M3.jpg

Analog stick works fine as NeGcon's twitchery replacement (maximum deflection = maximum lock), plus you can twerk it in emu's options:

7GM9ENI.jpg

And it gets the job done ingame (ship's turning speed depends on how far from the center you turn the analog stick, same way as in "proper" analog support).

:incline:

So, having controls inclined, I moved to graphics (Beetle PSX HW core). Cranking internal res to 4x and enabling PGXP is a good idea.

xg8AnFm.jpg

Distant textures are no longer "wobbly" due to PGXP and game looks great in hi-res:

9hHRrG2.jpg

NutTt2b.jpg

I went with "Nearest" texture filtering, because I preferer pixelated 2D elements to "borked by filtering artifacts" 2D elements:

4CIX1Px.jpg

ZVHf430.jpg

But your mileage may vary.

Protip: Disable "Crop Horizontal Overscan" to get proper Aspect Ratio.

gXJucHE.jpg

Crop enabled / disabled:

XF09P93.jpg

MWwLJXH.jpg

7QSnZST.jpg

NutTt2b.jpg

And that's all, I think:

eWZPhcx.jpg

TDwr4iy.jpg

OFC, you can always switch to 1x Internal Res for vanilla experience:

mkDGoN8.jpg

And try scanlines / shaders instead of increased internal res.

Wipeout 3 works great on these settings:

qtl5f6a.jpg

fBuZPKC.jpg

zbYbRM6.jpg

Except maybe fonts, but these look meh even on 1x Internal:

niGYCId.jpg

Out of curiosity, I've tried the antediluvian way as well, by testing epsxe 2.0.5 + gpuPeteOpenGL2 2.09 plugin. Unortunately, using increased internal res always leads to problems with 2D elements (heavy filtering can help, but leads to new probles with 3D elements) and lack of PGXP hurts the experience (wobbly textures).

Werdict: Resistance is futile. Retroarch all the way.

BTW, I can't go back to other emulators, when RA allows to switch emulation options on the fly, create options / input settings by core / directory / game, map emu hotkeys (save state / load state) to gamepad buttons and use gazillion of other options as well. And you can tweak almost any option of the emulator / gui:

T5vJ5y5.jpg

Let's hope the devs won't screw it up in the future . But knowing humanity, they sure will.

:rpgcodex:
A little bit of gaming lore: the Negcon is the OG "analog controller", as far as Jap console devs are concerned. No, no, I don't mean it was the first (put that fucking pitchfork away, you in the back there!), I mean it was the first that actually took off and made it beyond "expensive novelty toy" status. This was ground zero for Nipps thinking that just mayby, possibly, the cross pad (+) wasn't the only one true input control method. That, even as the frontiers of 3D gaming peeled back at lightspeed on home consoles, they would do well to give an alternative control schema with much more nuance still serious consideration for equal footing with the beloved eight-directional Old Faithful. And so engineers at the big three cast their dice, striving to both improve upon the Negcon's possibilities and at the same time make the end-design more practical. The results were literally gaming history wrought in silicon and plastic.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
!EXCITEMENT!

!SUSPENSE!

!PASSION!

!BETRAYAL!

IT'S...

EMUDEV DRAMA HOUR!!!

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/byuu-byuu_nyan-setsunakun0.43056/

Highlights include:
- byuu finally realizing what a poisonous shithole twitter is.
- byuu finally realizing most of his "friends" are actually deranged furry pedo trash.
- byuu finally realizing his politics are borderline insane and should be kept far far away from his preservation work.
- byuu finally realizing....Say, is anyone else noticing a running theme here?
:positive:

Gotta say, the impending retirement putting the kibosh on any further Wonderswan or NeoGeoPocket work kinda bites. But wadayagonnado, eh? Autists gonna aut.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
got muh first horsie. riding Incel around... hehe:
lolBOTW.png

the jerkiness in the video is from the capture, don't know why. It's pretty smooth in the emulator:

EDIT: the point of uploading this short clip was to show that Cemu works great w/ BotW; i mean it has for a long time now but I'm only now getting into it.

Still, not all games run as well as BotW. I also have Xenoblade Chronicles X downloaded, uh i mean "backed up", and while FPS-wise it runs better than Zelda (I can reach 60fps, whereas on Zelda I top out at around 45fps and it hovers around 35, which is why I locked it down to 33fps)-- so, XCX runs better FPS-wise but in terms of smoothness it's nowhere near as polished. BotW will rarely drop frames, but XCX drops frames CONSTANTLY and it's annoying.

And with XCX it really doesn't have to do with overall performance from the gpu or the cpu, as it will frame-drop the same way on 720p or 4k, doesn't seem to matter, so that tells me it's an overall emulation problem. BotW is fine, tho. Oh I forgot to mention i'm on OpenGL there, but Cemu has vulkan now which runs better on AMD hardware.

I'm on i5 8400 / gtx 1060 / 16gb ram / ssd. BotW-specific options being:
- resolution set to 1440p,
- anti-aliasing set to FXAA
- and the FPS++ pack set to 33fps
- Cemu itself set to VSYNC ON
- precompiled shaders DISABLED (have to for NVIDIA)
- Dualcore-Recompiler cpu option
- gsync-Draw-Done option ENABLED
- shaderMulAccuracy set to TRUE
- bufferAccuracy set to LOW
- NVIDIA/OpenGL-specific workaround graphicsPacks all enabled.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Is there any way to get rid of those terrible slowdowns in Soul Fuckers on Citra? I don't belive this geam is much more demanding that SMT4.
Soul Hackers works smoothly without slowdowns on my computer. However I have noticed in citra that some games have dramatic slowdowns during the reproduction of videos, while during the game itself the fps are consistently at 100%. Resident Evil Revelations is an example.
I verified that this happens no matter how much computing power is available and for different high-tier gpus and cpus. The cpu and gpu aren't either at 100% when these slowdowns happen.
Anyone experienced anything similar?

Last edited:
Lately i've been trying several DS emulators on my old pc,i found them all to have terrible performance which is strange since the psp emulator PPSSPP runs fine with much more graphically demanding games.So,back to ds emulation:

DeSmuME: worst performance of them all.

NO$GBA: a bit better than DeSmuME but still bad and you can only play with a really small screen.

MelonDS: in sofware mode is the best performance so far but still bad,audio cracking and some really bad framerate drops in Metroid Prime hunters(possibly the most demanding DS game??).

So,the best option for me so far may sound retarded but is playing on a android emulator(MEMU in my case)with a DS emulator(Drastic).unfortunately drastic is android only,but performance-wise is the best DS emulator.I've played metroid prime hunters on Drastic with MEMU and there's no audio cracking and no framedrops.

Here's what looks like:

zK0g4yb.png

lzaJ5qm.png

DQ4:

dib2Ium.jpg

I admit,it doesn't look that good,but at least is playable.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
DS emulation just isn't there yet, unfortunately. Depending on when StapleButter (or whatever the fuck they're going by now) an hero's it may be quite a while yet.

Puukko

Arcane
I'm yet to try Yuzu out, the only game I seriously want to try out is XC2 and that's still far from being playable, though there is apparently another emulator under development:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Is anyone actually working on a PSP Vita emulator these days?

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah. Last year I planned to upgrade my rig to "current" CPU, MB, RAM & GPU (I do this every 4-5 years). But I quickly learned that all modern CPUs and MoBos support Win10 only.

So I've bough used i5 CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and new GPU for less than a half of what the new components would cost. And jammed it into my old MoBo. Was able to complete games like Nier - Automata, Dishonored 2 or RE2 Remake on this rig without problems (medium or high details).

I don't get what's wrong with Intel and Microsoft, but we're reaching the situation described in old cyberpunk novels, where hackers were scavenging old hardware because it was better than the newshit.

Age of :decline:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Yeah. Last year I planned to upgrade my rig to "current" CPU, MB, RAM & GPU (I do this every 4-5 years). But I quickly learned that all modern CPUs and MoBos support Win10 only.

So I've bough used i5 CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and new GPU for less than a half of what the new components would cost. And jammed it into my old MoBo. Was able to complete games like Nier - Automata, Dishonored 2 or RE2 Remake on this rig without problems (medium or high details).

I don't get what's wrong with Intel and Microsoft, but we're reaching the situation described in old cyberpunk novels, where hackers were scavenging old hardware because it was better than the newshit.

Age of :decline:
There are pirated windows 7 version that have support for modern cpu's and motherboards. Most of the problems come in usb support during installation.You can use a old ps2 keyboard to bypass that if you don't like pirated stuff.
Almost all motherboard manufacturers have windows 7 drivers,even on their newest boards.

spekkio

Arcane
I've had serious problems with a new Lenovo laptop (was able to install Win7 with USB 2.0 support, but some drivers were MIA). So when I saw that new MoBos sometimes lack official Win7 support (same way as new Intel CPUs), I just went with: "Fuck Yuo!".

Plus used "high-end" CPUs have similar performance to brand new "budget" CPUs.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
BROS. OP is faggot has been updated.

Changes to the list of recommended shit:
  • Atari XL/XE: added Atari800,
  • Snes: added RA - bsnes-hd and RA - bsnes cores; removed RA-bsnes-mercury-balanced and RA-higan cores,
  • N64: added RA - Mupen64Plus Next and RA-ParaLLEl cores; removed m64p (old, authors went Patreon and shit),
  • Wii: added Primehack,
  • Switch: added yuzu (Ryujinx sadly failed a physical with me),
  • Dreamcast: added RA - Flycast core; removed RA - Reicast cores; same shit, new name,
  • Vita: added info (no emu yet).
Also removed some broken links and shit.

DISCUSS! / bitch / moan. :obviously:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom