Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Puukko

Arcane
Fire Emblem Awakening chugs during battle animations in Citra, and quite badly. I think this is the biggest performance issue I've had on the emulator. Of course, the easiest solution is to disable the animations which leads to considerably smoother gameplay, but that is still odd.

I also couldn't get the DLC to work on two different images, it simply gets stuck loading in the DLC area. Also, changing the voice language likes to get reverted, though I suspect this may be an issue with the game itself.

Edit: DLC works fine, just have to make sure to acquire unencrypted versions.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just thought I'd mention that for years I was searching for a good android emulator and the only one I really liked over the years was AMIDuOS which was discontinued several years ago. So I searched for another. Discovered Andy a couple of days ago and it's the best one I've tried since AMIDuOS since there's a minimum of pre-configuration bullshit and setup or needing extra apps or ARM crap like Genymotion. The "personal edition" is very basic with no frills or extra junk like so many of the others I've tried, and, most importantly, NO ADS. It's very fast too and it worked with every game I threw at it. Just a FYI for you emus.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Fire Emblem Awakening chugs during battle animations in Citra, and quite badly. I think this is the biggest performance issue I've had on the emulator. Of course, the easiest solution is to disable the animations which leads to considerably smoother gameplay, but that is still odd.

I also couldn't get the DLC to work on two different images, it simply gets stuck loading in the DLC area. Also, changing the voice language likes to get reverted, though I suspect this may be an issue with the game itself.

People with a lot of decrpyted dlc files:
iu

Also what was the problem?Unecrypted/decrpyted roms or dlc cia files.

Puukko

Arcane

People with a lot of decrpyted dlc files:
iu

Also what was the problem?Unecrypted/decrpyted roms or dlc cia files.
Just had to acquire unencrypted DLC .cias as the ones I had gotten earlier turned out to be encrypted. A bit confusing with the same file extensions as the games themselves go from .cia to .3ds when unencrypted.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Did a ll bit of nintendo emu testing.

Switch:
Both ryujinx and yuzu are necessary if you want to play most games.
Cemu is quicker but less compatible for less popular games.The amount of game i get just a black screen on cemu while ryujinx gets full video is staggering.
Romhacking wise ,they both fail.You need to do a lot of trick to get anything running and event hen there are issues.
Conclusion: Shockingly competent and the first time we have two emu's for modern consoles being viable.

WII-U:
Cemu has become quite better,no thanks to the actual programmer.If you want to play most games you are gonna need the graphics paks made by the community to fix most of the errors and slowdowns.The community fixing closed source emus never changes.
Also be very wary of cemu's auto cpu mode bullshit.It just doesn't work for most games.Edit the cpu mode per game basis until you get something stable.
Also i have never seen that a emu won't load a game if the game folder name is changed.Must be something in the load line files pointing to a specific name.
Conclusion:You can practically play anything and just downgrade to a earlier version if performance tanks when you update.
Edit:
Forgot to talk about the gamepad screen.If any game requires significant use of the gamepad screen,use separate gamepad viewer to make it manageable.Also you can use shift + tab to toggle the gamepad screen.

3DS:
Citra is still somewhat shaky.Stuff like luigi mansion,fire emblem and other jap srpg seem to be lagging in some cases hard(animation wise mostly).It is better then what was available years ago but,it is snail paced when it comes to fixing stuff and performance wise.
Biggest improvement by far is the ability to install encrypted cia files and emulating new3ds circle pad pro.
Do not attempt to even use the retoarch core,it is slower and buggier.
Conclusion:Good for what it is,but that is all.

Also fuck Nintendo for its bullshit Pokemon shenanigans.
Here is a qr code list for pokemon sun and moon already made to be used with citra:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P7fQ5AByFW8Q6cwNVr3zF2VTUHodIrBZ
But that is not all,how about those annoying one time events bullshit you ask.Well,got you covered there as well.
Here is a general pokemon editor to add whatever the fuck you want to:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/1-pkhex/
And here are the event files needed:
https://github.com/projectpokemon/EventsGallery
Instructions:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/tutorials/save-editing/using-pkhex/importing-wondercards-r29/

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
3DS:
Citra is still somewhat shaky.Stuff like luigi mansion,fire emblem and other jap srpg seem to be lagging in some cases hard(animation wise mostly).It is better then what was available years ago but,it is snail paced when it comes to fixing stuff and performance wise.
Biggest improvement by far is the ability to install encrypted cia files and emulating new3ds circle pad pro.
Do not attempt to even use the retoarch core,it is slower and buggier.
Conclusion:Good for what it is,but that is all.

Citra really suffers under Yuzu's development. It's been relegated to a side project for them at best.

BTW: Has anybody tried Vvctre? That one seems to be at least in active development.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If anyone's interested, it seems they're accepting anyone for beta testing RetroArch on Steam. Just click "Request Access" button on the store page.

lightbane

Arcane
RA devs didn't have enough money after that drama stunt about "a pirate robbing the code" thing? Also, will Steam even accept the emulator? It is a direct access to ROM emulation, which is illegal.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
RA devs didn't have enough money after that drama stunt about "a pirate robbing the code" thing? Also, will Steam even accept the emulator? It is a direct access to ROM emulation, which is illegal.

I'm not sure it's illegal, but anyway there's a precedent.

Though this is closed source. Releasing open source software on Steam can be more tricky AFAIK.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Can anybody with windows 10 test a mac emu setup?
The previous version worked fine on windows 7 but the new one won't even let me install.The file is here:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/MacSys761Installer.exe

You don't need to install it,just wondering will it let you go on with the installation to the point where you can choose the location.
It is a preconfigured basilisk 2 emu for anybody wondering.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The previous version worked fine on windows 7 but the new one won't even let me install.The file is here:

You don't need to install it,just wondering will it let you go on with the installation to the point where you can choose the location.
It worked on my windows 10.

flyingjohn

Arcane

It worked on my windows 10.
Thanks for trying.
Guess the error is connected to windows 7 only.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Fuck mac emulation.It is not worth the hassle.

Spend hours dealing with emu setups and then might and magic bitches about low memory on a machine with 1000x memory.
Edit manually to make it use more memory and it crashes,fuck me.

And all i get for my troubles are black and white versions of popular games with worse ui and a mediocre ultima clone.At least the GS had bards tale hd and pirates.
And yes,i know that some mac games had slightly better graphics,still ain't worth the hassle.

For anybody wanting to do mac emulation:
Go here and follow instructions for your emu of choice:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/mini_vmac_setup
OR go here and install a preconfigured version of the mac os you want:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9win.html

A couple of notes:
-Sheep emu is mostly designed for more modern os(late 90's)
-Basilisk is designed for older macs but leaves files on your computer which is annoying(they are hidden but it still a pain)
-Minivmac is a weird middle ground.You can find boot disks and os roms on their website
-Pick quadra machine roms,they are the preferred versions

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I totally agree that it's very complicated to make one game work and then no other won't work with the same settings, it's likely I'll never bother with it in the future either. Now, if it works with your current config then you could give Jewel Of Arabia : Dreamers a try. It's not an Ultima clone but rather an Exile/Realms clone, in a cool Arabian nights settings.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I can't actually disagree, even with prebuilt Mac installers. I remember once upon a time I had Sheepshaver working perfectly, at least, I didn't have any issues.Then I update my OS from Ubuntu 16 to Ubuntu 18...and its broken. I somehow manage to fix it and sound is still broken and none of the fixes work at all. Its probably easier on Windows, but its been a while since I last had anything to do with that. I think the only real interesting exclusives it has are Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis, A-10 Attack and Pathways of Darkness, outside of adventure games and all those Japanese ones which are probably even harder to get running. Pathways technically has a port, but its probably awkward, since its in the Marathon engine.

v1rus

Arcane
How good are the PSP emus? I want to play Tactics Ogre, and I have an actual PSP. But, Im not leaving my house a lot these days, and that small screen is a PITA.

Should I play it on the PSP, or on the emu?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How good are the PSP emus? I want to play Tactics Ogre, and I have an actual PSP. But, Im not leaving my house a lot these days, and that small screen is a PITA.

Emus are pretty good for years, TO should be playable and can be finished.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Emus are pretty good for years, TO should be playable and can be finished.

Does it look good on PC screen?

If you use some antialiasing then sure, even better than original console.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Due to the low resolution of the display and the easy to use dump/load textures of Citra, the 3DS games are among the best candidates to be emulated in HD with AI-upscaling algorithms. Inspired by this work on SMTIV, I tried to do something similar for SMTIV-A and Soul Hackers. The following are some preliminary results...

SMTIV-A
original:
u0eMJwS.png

upscaled:
2ZnmBHA.png

original:
je1QKwf.png

upscaled:
TeYpPvV.png

original:
db9oU1R.png

upscaled:
MaNdtYZ.png

mmm...

edit: Soul Hackers tests
original
eQfybrk.png

upscaled:
7QJv93k.png

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
Seems like a cheap way to make some patreon bux, at least you could fix something you halfway enjoy.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
How is DS emulation? I'm having trouble finding compatibility lists, does that mean that pretty much everything works or that nothing does?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom