Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Cool, thanks all. I've got a PS3 and PS4 controller that I'll try. I have some Wii controllers so I guess I'll setup a bluetooth for the PC so I can play Xenoblade Chronicles. Unless there is a better alternative?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the ps4 controller has a touchpad, which can be useful for DS games. Granted, it's a too small touchpad. Its linux driver is probably acceptable.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
360 Controller for Windows, despite having a mediocre d-pad and triggers, is probably the best controller to use for emulation and console ports in general for PC. Not because it's superior to dualshock or others but simply because it's the most supported and popular. With RetroArch and even PPSSPP, you can bring up the emu menu by hitting the big "X" button on controller then navigate with it as well. You also get rumble and xinput takes care of your default binds. If only the d-pad wasn't stiff plastic and it had the same top triggers as a PS3 dualshock.
Withe the xinput wrapper you can use a ds3 on the PC and everything sees it as a xbox controller so same compatibility + everything on the controller works fine including rumble, bluetooth, charging while wired, etc

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

There's a similar solution for ds4.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Since Google gave me zero comprehensive results, I'm going to ask this here:

Any chances of emulating GP2X Wiz on PC? There were several commercial games for it (I'm personally interested in Deicide 3), which were probably translated.
I'm expecting a clear no on this one, but who knows, I might be wrong and shit.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool, thanks all. I've got a PS3 and PS4 controller that I'll try. I have some Wii controllers so I guess I'll setup a bluetooth for the PC so I can play Xenoblade Chronicles. Unless there is a better alternative?
I even played Xenoblade with my PS3 controller. There wasn't much of an issue. Of course, if you have Wii controllers, that might be the best way to play it.

I even played Xenoblade with my PS3 controller. There wasn't much of an issue. Of course, if you have Wii controllers, that might be the best way to play it.

For some reason I can't get the game to detect it, but I can calibrate it in Dolphin settings, anything I'm missing?

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
From my experience of using different pads -- ps3, 360, directinput pads, etc. -- the PS4 one is the best one can get purely due to its functionality. It takes just a couple of minutes to map different touchpad combinations to different macros. Given how unstable emulation can be, I found it to be a real lifesaver to map savestate and loadstate emulator functions to different regions of the touchpad.

I use InputMapper with the ds4 and it has been a plug-and-play affair after the initial install. Even the bluetooth pairing works effortlessly, along with vibration. It even supports directinput.

I would certainly try this option first since you already have the controller.

A user named cat

360 Controller for Windows, despite having a mediocre d-pad and triggers, is probably the best controller to use for emulation and console ports in general for PC. Not because it's superior to dualshock or others but simply because it's the most supported and popular. With RetroArch and even PPSSPP, you can bring up the emu menu by hitting the big "X" button on controller then navigate with it as well. You also get rumble and xinput takes care of your default binds. If only the d-pad wasn't stiff plastic and it had the same top triggers as a PS3 dualshock.
Withe the xinput wrapper you can use a ds3 on the PC and everything sees it as a xbox controller so same compatibility + everything on the controller works fine including rumble, bluetooth, charging while wired, etc

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
My motherboard actually has bluetooth support and I've yet to even try it for some reason. I do have a PS3 (used primarily for Netflix) so I'll probably try that out soon, thanks.

Edit: looks like a dongle is needed, this shit doesn't work unless plugged in directly to USB port. Maybe my bluetooth mobo isn't supported.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

For some reason I can't get the game to detect it, but I can calibrate it in Dolphin settings, anything I'm missing?
What program do you use for the Dual Shock 3 to get detected by your PC? Not MotionInJoy, I hope?

All I had to do was follow the guide and everything worked like a charm.

I use this for my PlayStation controllers: http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/SCP_Driver_Package
Makes the computer think I'm using an Xbox 360 controller.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Edit: looks like a dongle is needed, this shit doesn't work unless plugged in directly to USB port. Maybe my bluetooth mobo isn't supported.
Mine wasn't either, but you can force install the bluetooth driver like it's pointed there on step 11. It worked here but it'll make bluetooth only pair with the ps3 controller and nothing else

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Meanwhile on linux you plug and play. Dual Shock driver had some updates for the touchpad recently.

mck

Cipher

Is there a way to fix the way the triggers work? It's impossible to play some games because the left and right triggers are on the same axis, making it so you can't press both simultaneously.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Retroarch 1.2.1 was released (including Android/WII/Gamecube versions)
Rushed 1.2 release

First of all, we admit that the 1.2 release was rushed and we regret that we were in such a rush to get something out there that we might have lost the forest for thre trees at some point. Bear with us here, it has been over a year since we had started a very big initiative to rewrite the entire codebase from scratch so that it could be future proof from now on, and there is only so much that can be tested in a controlled environment. Once it gets out in the wild, a lot more potential usecases can be tested and therefore, issues can pop to the surface that you didn’t anticipate before.

A user named cat

Is there a way to fix the way the triggers work? It's impossible to play some games because the left and right triggers are on the same axis, making it so you can't press both simultaneously.
I've never even noticed that before or have had any trigger issues, they're just uncomfortable from Microsoft's shitty overusage of plastic. Do you have the actual 360 controller drivers installed instead of just generic Windows drivers? I recall having some issues before installing them but I use the wireless version, not sure if that's any different.

mck

Cipher

I've never even noticed that before or have had any trigger issues, they're just uncomfortable from Microsoft's shitty overusage of plastic. Do you have the actual 360 controller drivers installed instead of just generic Windows drivers? I recall having some issues before installing them but I use the wireless version, not sure if that's any different.

I've got the wired controller with 360 drivers installed.

A user named cat

Sorry, I really have no idea mck.

Have you guys updated to latest version of Dolphin? Not sure when this was added in. Check out how high you can set your internal res now (though it's recommended to not go above your monitor res):

qYLTcJj.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Psx emulation is bugs everywhere. Goddamn mednafen urgently needs a fork for adding some quality of life stuff like compressed .ecm support, opengl renderer and upscaling.

No Great Name

Arcane
Psx emulation is bugs everywhere. Goddamn mednafen urgently needs a fork for adding some quality of life stuff like compressed .ecm support, opengl renderer and upscaling.
Are you saying that there's a Psx emulator that supports ecm files directly? I've always just uncompressed them and then converted them to bin/cue files if necessary. I never had much luck getting any other file types to work with mednafen or retroarch psx.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Are you saying that there's a Psx emulator that supports ecm files directly? I've always just uncompressed them and then converted them to bin/cue files if necessary. I never had much luck getting any other file types to work with mednafen or retroarch psx.
ePSXe does that.
Even on Android. Now I can stuff more games into these 16 gbs of space.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes, both pcsxr and epsxe support them (pcsxr even supports 7/zipped on top, which is the most efficient way to store psx isos). UNFORTUNATELY this has bugs because their emulation io timing is complete shit, like in pcsxr, only 'simulate bios' will actually boot some .ecm'ed isos and to can fuck up on disc change even then (as i just discovered with Koudelka).

Also pcsxr is kinda dead. Also it just decided to segfault on loading a 7zip file. Tried again, no segfault. What great coding. Epsxe still works much better grrrr (open source blues). I just tried it with Koudelka and it loaded .ecm on disc change fine. Although epsxe is complete shit in linux (it won't even have sound out of the box with the plugins it comes with because they're OSS, which was deprecated, and if you try, it crashes. Not to mention having no GUI to configure the plugins - another deprecation).

You can also use CDEmu image mounter to mount .ecm'ed cds (it even has a library called libmirage for projects to mount isos including ecm support), but it seems that pcfailsxr manages to still be buggy on disc change even with a virtual device.

Last edited:

A user named cat

I have a complete 7zipped English PS1 set and yeah it's a beast. With ecm compression, it'd probably be quite smaller. Thank hell for multi-terabyte drives but it'd still be nice to save drive space. Sucks that Mednafen doesn't support them but certainly not enough of an issue to go back to shitty inaccurate epsxe, pcsxr and friends.

XlHrMVh.jpg

A user named cat

For Hyperspin databases, we do English sets first, followed by Japanese which are deemed playable. The PS1 Japan db was never finished or a high priority. As you can imagine, this is a hell of a lot of work for a niche community and I quit working on this stuff months ago. I contributed enough over there, including a shit ton of frontend artwork, and this stuff is too time consuming.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7004074/Sony Playstation.xml

A user named cat

http://www.emucr.com/2015/07/demu-wip-v07-alpha-20150719.html

They're really getting some work done now. Nice.

– Crackin’ DJ 1&2 playable
– Ferrari F355 Deluxe have sound/music
– fix Naomi 2 materials, lights refactor (gpuDX11ng)
– foolproof VMU files creation
– remember last path in gdrCHD, gdrImage, etc
– better Xinput deadzone handling
– fix GDI audio in gdrCHD (this plugin is recommended now for usage with GDI images too)
– workarounds for newest ATI bugs in 15.7 drivers (gpuDX11)
– SH4 MMU fixes & improvements, Shenmue’s Afterburner II minigame playable
– several minor tweaks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom