Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
If you dont gimp yourself, its very easy. But maybe mid to end game is a bit harder. Lets hope.

Jinn

Arcane
If you dont gimp yourself, its very easy. But maybe mid to end game is a bit harder. Lets hope.

How far are you? I'm a ways past the Maelstrom and getting my ass handed to me repeatedly even with two strong companions at my side. To the point where I'm actually considering starting over and rerolling.

I feel like even if I optimize my character and slurp up as much experience I can in the opening few hours, life post-Maelstrom under the dome will still be pretty brutal for awhile.

To be clear, combat is easy for the first couple hours, but after that things change a lot.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
unknown.png
They should lower max brains for Neandertal genes. And MORE importantly Blacks DON'T have Neanderthal intermixture. (East Asia genetic do. 2x)

BTW why is she wearing Jacket and Pants with No Pantsu trait?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
BUY ENCASED! FINANCE GOOD SIDE IN RUSSIAN RPG DEV CIVIL WAR:

BASED ENCASED VS WOKEFINDER

Trickster/BestDeal move: Buy both AND Trudograd and finance cRPG genre. Keep buying Russian RPGs and Putin will allow you to move to Russia when West goes 100% WOKE. Pre-order Russian RPG and get free Russian wife

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Without Russian RPGs, what would American Codexers do? Watch Bachelor? Role-Play as Country? Start Civil War out of boredom?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

dacencora

BUY ENCASED! FINANCE GOOD SIDE IN RUSSIAN RPG DEV CIVIL WAR:

BASED ENCASED VS WOKEFINDER

Trickster/BestDeal move: Buy both AND Trudograd and finance cRPG genre. Keep buying Russian RPGs and Putin will allow you to move to Russia when West goes 100% WOKE. Pre-order Russian RPG and get free Russian wife
Why not both?
You already said to buy both. so nvm.

If you find the combat easy you could do something radical like actually role play a character in the role playing game instead of just min maxing your personal avatar.

jackofshadows

Magister

How far are you? I'm a ways past the Maelstrom and getting my ass handed to me repeatedly even with two strong companions at my side. To the point where I'm actually considering starting over and rerolling.

I feel like even if I optimize my character and slurp up as much experience I can in the opening few hours, life post-Maelstrom under the dome will still be pretty brutal for awhile.

To be clear, combat is easy for the first couple hours, but after that things change a lot.
You're talking like it's a linear game when it's not. Sure you can wander around and get your ass kicked but that doesn't mean shit. Did you at least try to aquire decent gear? To buy highest available tier weapon, armor, search for servoshell (otherwise you can go for stealth and it would be even easier but that's for solo route only I guess). How much AP/Presicion/crit chance do you have? I don't see a reason to not-max them tbh. Post your build if you're sure that it's solid and should be viable i.e. not a problem. I didn't check companions but assume that they don't help much in combat, rather a pain in the ass. At least early on.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Did you at least try to aquire decent gear?

Yes, I've done everything I can so far with my current financial situation to acquire the best that I can.

Post your build if you're sure that it's solid and should be viable i.e. not a problem.

I already said several times and literally implied it in this very post that my character is unoptimized and gimped. Sure, if you min-max everything, go for ultimate cheese in every situation, and somehow find a way to make tons of money right out of the gate (though I'm not sure how easy this would be without a large amount of meta-knowledge) things are going to go easier for you. My point is that someone who has never played the game before and hasn't re-rolled their character 5 times isn't going to be having piss-easy encounters.

I didn't check companions but assume that they don't help much in combat, rather a pain in the ass.

The companions are not a pain in the ass in the least, and come with a strong focus in one thing or another. Got the melee meat shield who beats ass and the energy weapon girl with great medical skills. They've changed things significantly, but haven't totally changed the tide of battle. You also have complete control over them in combat.

Clearly you have a big hate-boner for the game. I'm not trying to convince you to play it. Nor am I saying that the game is a ultra-challenging tactical masterpiece. I'm just saying that reports that it's "piss-easy" are hyperbole. It's got decent challenge to it, unless again, you have a ton of meta-knowledge and are min-maxing from the very beginning.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Pretty much avoided it at start, only nuked all the turrets outside nashville because each gives nice xp. Once i got the Nashville servoshell i curbstomped the crazies inside.
Insane amount of xp can be gained by exploring so combat atm is not a priority for me

Much more satisfying blowing up the generator!

Action points will be low due to low fortune sadly

Deftness will compensate.

True, but what about that sweet sweet xp

jackofshadows

Magister
I already said several times and literally implied it in this very post that my character is unoptimized and gimped. Sure, if you min-max everything, go for ultimate cheese in every situation, and somehow find a way to make tons of money right out of the gate (though I'm not sure how easy this would be without a large amount of meta-knowledge) things are going to go easier for you. My point is that someone who has never played the game before and hasn't re-rolled their character 5 times isn't going to be having piss-easy encounters.
I'm not talking about bug-abusing or anything like that. Just plain, straight playing the game as it present itself. Selling all the crap and buying only what will boost you the most is a common approach here, is it not?

I don't know what's your RPG background of course but in Encased you don't have to have any meta-knowledge to build a min-maxed character. Especially if you've played similiar games before, like, you know where was something about water chip problems and such. Because you can see derivatives at the char creation screen and decide what's more important. I've listed what I condidered the most important and went for it the first time (perseption/deftness/fortune) and now I went for same stats even if I went for heavy non-stealth route this time.

There's an important nuance however: Encased don't provide perk list at the char creation which is really bad: F1/F2 didn't provide it because it was expected that player would read the manual beforehand while these guys either blindly aped it or handwaved with the wiki in mind (players who want to know without starting themselves will go there and read, idk). Anyway, any player who did play similiar games will want to examine the list before rolling ahead for real. If your point was that an RPG newb can corner himself on tactical - sure, I agree but I thought we're on rpgcodex? By the way, the game allows to change the difficulty on a fly - that's how hardcore it is.
The companions are not a pain in the ass in the least, and come with a strong focus in one thing or another. Got the melee meat shield who beats ass and the energy weapon girl with great medical skills. They've changed things significantly, but haven't totally changed the tide of battle.
Just keep in mind that solo chars can (and should, obviously) have +75% base XP. Means that by having companions you aren't necessarily gain power, it's hard to say what's better (I think solo is).
Clearly you have a big hate-boner for the game. I'm not trying to convince you to play it. Nor am I saying that the game is a ultra-challenging masterpiece throughout. I'm just saying that reports that it's "piss-easy" are hyperbole. It's got decent challenge to it, unless again, you have a ton of meta-knowledge and are min-maxing from the very beginning.
I don't. I could give that vibe of course but that's just because I was writing about things I consider more objective rather than I would describe my impressions about the setting, the writing etc etc. That's why my feadback was negative: combat aspect seems quite shitty here and the base role-play system is wonky, messy and derivative. Anywa, I'm playing it right now again and maybe will write some more impessions once I get to the parts that I haven't seen.

Why wouldn't I min-max from the very beginning if I was going to pick the highest difficulty? I didn't know what to expect so I went for a sneaky thievy rat but then quickly became clear it's a total cakewalk. You loot, then you loot, and then you loot again while this crazy-ass game gives you XP for it. You easily aquire some decent gear and then kill everything from stealth. Now with non-stealth approach it's harder in a sense that you can actually stumble at too strong enemies but that doesn't mean the game's hard. Not at all.

Jinn

Arcane
A bunch of valid stuff.

I have to reiterate yet again here that I don't think the game is hard, per se. I don't want anyone interested in this game buying it thinking they are going into a hardcore, ball-busting combat RPG extravaganza. I don't even want them to think that they're going to be dying more than a few times in a playthrough. I don't want someone going into this game with the wrong expectations for what it has to offer, or buying it mistakenly thinking its something its not. The point I've been trying to make is that the difficulty is much more even than the "babies first RPG" it has been made out to be in a few instances. And if you're someone who likes to just go with the flow and play a fun character, yes it can offer some decent challenge from time to time.

I also think there are a number of different ways to play the game, that the RPG systems in place are fun, but can be rather thin at times, and that the game lacks balance as whole in that there are many different ways you can play it while both succeeding and failing greatly. For me, that's not a deal-breaker, or even necessarily bad. Yes, I do want a higher difficulty option. Especially for subsequent playthroughs. Yes, I do feel the RPG systems could have been much more refined and less derivative in general. Yes, there's a lot of stuff that actually annoys me about the game, such as the amazing amount of junk loot centered around an overall mediocre crafting system, and the sometimes annoying survival mechanics (though I ultimately think they are a good thing in terms of resource management), and the long enemy turn times in combat with no speed-up option. The most important thing though, is that I'm having fun, and I think that a number of codexers will too despite the lack of great challenge.

To anyone hesitant to buy, I would say wait for more impressions from people in this thread. I've obviously been one of the more vocally positive posters about the game, but that's no surprise to anyone who knows me. I'm sure there's a great deal of negative posts to come that I'll ultimately agree with. But for me, the good has so far outweighed the bad in this game.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
All right, that's fair. I just don't want people would assume this "feels like a proper challenging CRPG" (your words) as much apparently as you don't want them to think it absolutely cannot provide challenge.

Jinn

Arcane
I just don't want people would assume this "feels like a proper challenging CRPG" (your words)

Yes, this was probably a bit misleading of me to say it the way I did. For several hours of play it felt like a proper challenging CRPG to me, in a very subjective way, with the build that I chose, etc. I shouldn't have stated it as objectively.

GloomFrost

Arcane
That 60s old school sci-fi vibe and soundtrack mmmmmm so good. The setting alone makes Encased more appealing to me then the generic fantasy Pathfinder WOTR ( still a good game though). :thumbsup:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
imagine thnking combat is the most important aspect of an crpg..

Theres a reason fallout 1 is alltime nr. 1

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Why "post-apocalyptic"? There is nothing obviously post-apocalyptic in this game. At least at the beginning. Maybe they left a spoiler in the subtitle?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom