Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

Beans00

Augur
Gotta say, I was wrong to doubt the devs as much as I did. The difficulty has been just about perfect for me. I guess I was just surprised the first couple hours weren't a little bit more of a challenge, but once you hit C12-Nashville and beyond, it feels like a proper challenging CRPG. It might also be because I intentionally gimped my character pretty hard, but we'll see. That's not to say I wouldn't like a higher difficulty available, but I've been pleasantly satisfied with the difficulty as is. Biggest gripe I would have right now is some HP bloat, but that is easily mitigated once you upgrade your equipment and abilities - then the HPs start falling at a reasonable pace again. Besides that, enemies have some tricks up their sleeves and it is certainly not just "buff with meds, shoot, kite, win" like that one Russian reviewer said.

Again, this could all change, but as of now I'm happy enough with the difficulty.

How does it compare to ATOM(or underrail but I haven't played that) in terms of quality?

At first I was fairly skeptical of this due to complaints about easy difficulty and them dumbing down the tutorial. I've read enough good things on this thread to strongly consider this.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Clearly you have a big hate-boner for the game
Don't listen to him, he's Russian intelligentzia. Like Serbian, Czech, Croatian, Polish etc. intelligentzia, he hates his own country, and finds everything about it either retarded shit or cringe. He jerks off to EU flag and plays only Western RPGs. He thinks he's oh! so smart, because he can min-max video game. Dude hasn't even played final version of game yet talks shit

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
My Early Impressions:

Encased is really good. Mixture of Fallout and Arcanum set in 70s. You work for Weyland-Yutani like multi-national corporation that is extracting all the artifacts from highly advanced Aliens that had picnic in the middle of desert and left a lot of magnificent trash behind them. Soon, things go wrong, and giant Dome gets sealed. You're in this local post-apocalypse, and giant Maelstorm in the middle of Dome is getting slowly bigger while employees of company make their own factions with different goals battling over resources, artefacts and survival. Cool af. Writing is good, mechanics are classic Fallout++, many different builds and ways to solve same quest. There are even vehicles and piloting skill, and your home is armored & armed, shape-shifting train Ursula. Many different experiments previously done for decades by now bankrupt corporation inside different facilities remind strongly of Fallout Vaults . There is even The Thing - like creature captured and experimented upon in one of facilities

Good UI; Good VA; Great Writing; Many different builds; Stats galore; Decent challenge; 0% WOKE

After 11h with Encased, I can say: BUY it

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
William Tell vs Inspiration?
Basically I am stuck decided for 10 perception or 10 deftness for my build. I have 10 charisma so the evasive bonus will not be wasted.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
When you start your character creation in Encased, default is white straight male, as it should be. Portraits are good, if too few. Many portraits are brilliant and would make fine addition to Codex

Beans00

Augur
6kLUkqd.png

Updated my backlog

Jinn

Arcane
How are the loading times on HDD? Should I free some space on my SSD?

Loading times are really good on my SSD, so I can only assume they would be decent on HDD. In a game like this where there are semi-frequent screen transitions and open world travel akin to Fallout, I would say you'd be better off just freeing up some space though.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BUY ENCASED! FINANCE GOOD SIDE IN RUSSIAN RPG DEV CIVIL WAR:

BASED ENCASED VS WOKEFINDER

Trickster/BestDeal move: Buy both AND Trudograd and finance cRPG genre. Keep buying Russian RPGs and Putin will allow you to move to Russia when West goes 100% WOKE. Pre-order Russian RPG and get free Russian wife

Oh, but even without all the wokism Russia is still a poor, corrupt shithole. Why would I want to live there? As for Russian wives, you can get then delivered to your home abroad.

(Purchased Encased and Trudograd long time ago while they were still being developped)

jackofshadows

Magister
Don't listen to him, he's Russian intelligentzia. Like Serbian, Czech, Croatian, Polish etc. intelligentzia, he hates his own country, and finds everything about it either retarded shit or cringe. He jerks off to EU flag and plays only Western RPGs. He thinks he's oh! so smart, because he can min-max video game. Dude hasn't even played final version of game yet talks shit
I assume it's natural for your caveman's brain to categorize everything in order to not overheat it or something. Good for you I guess but all of that ^ is fake news. Including that I've played the final version the whole day yesterday, firing it up again.

Jinn

Arcane
Ok, companions are great to have in combat, but it is absolutely retarded that there isn't an option to tell them to stay where they are until you come back to them. Can't navigate anomaly fields without them running after me and getting ripped apart. Probably the most annoying thing I've found in the game so far. If the option does exist, I can't find any evidence of it in the controls or tutorial codex.

EDIT: FALSE ALARM. Just have to click the little chain coupling that connects the character portrait. Be patient though, because the animation takes a second.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Or the time-outs are too short?

The companions just follow way too slowly, so by the time the anomaly is materializing again, they're standing right in the middle of it. They really should have just allowed for individual movement of companions in general without having to swap position with them, but at the very least give the player the ability to say "stay here."

EDIT: FALSE ALARM. Just have to click the little chain coupling that connects the character portrait. Be patient though, because the animation takes a second.

On a positive note, I think the reputation/relationship system with the companions is kind of cool. They'll like or dislike certain things you do, which will lead to them eventually opening up to you or leaving your party entirely, depending on what they think of your actions. Nothing particularly new there, but it is interesting how frequently they'll have a reaction and what will be the triggering factor.

Last edited:

filpan

Scholar
My Early Impressions:

Encased is really good. Mixture of Fallout and Arcanum set in 70s. You work for Weyland-Yutani like multi-national corporation that is extracting all the artifacts from highly advanced Aliens that had picnic in the middle of desert and left a lot of magnificent trash behind them. Soon, things go wrong, and giant Dome gets sealed. You're in this local post-apocalypse, and giant Maelstorm in the middle of Dome is getting slowly bigger while employees of company make their own factions with different goals battling over resources, artefacts and survival. Cool af. Writing is good, mechanics are classic Fallout++, many different builds and ways to solve same quest. There are even vehicles and piloting skill, and your home is armored & armed, shape-shifting train Ursula. Many different experiments previously done for decades by now bankrupt corporation inside different facilities remind strongly of Fallout Vaults . There is even The Thing - like creature captured and experimented upon in one of facilities

Good UI; Good VA; Great Writing; Many different builds; Stats galore; Decent challenge; 0% WOKE

Alo Srbendo,
do you think I should wait for some patches or is it good to go as of now?
Krenuo bih ovo, a WoTR bih da se ispegla jos malo, sad ce i ATOM Trudograd.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My Early Impressions:

Alo Srbendo,
do you think I should wait for some patches or is it good to go as of now?
Krenuo bih ovo, a WoTR bih da se ispegla jos malo, sad ce i ATOM Trudograd.
Seems good to go. I will be giving it a run tomorrow. Glad I stopped even before the prologue- equally glad that my initial good impression from the early access days is not likely to be let down.

Quillon

Arcane
Finished Nashville, confused for a sec that it seemed like a game ending sequence, too much drama for I guess the prologue or act 1's end(?), is the real gaym starting now? :P

razvedchiki

Erudite
played a a bit untill nasville and was pleasantly surprised with the survival and resource management. though resources (from the little i have played) seem abudant, looks like the hardcore mod of new vegas were you found water/food every 5 steps.

jackofshadows

Magister
I've listed what I condidered the most important and went for it the first time (perseption/deftness/fortune) and now I went for same stats even if I went for heavy non-stealth route this time.
Turned out, this was a huge mistake. Formula for crit chance is fortune x 2 and servoshell gives penalty for crit chance value of... 20. I mean, WHY? Why the fuck? Well, won't reroll because I cba to loot the whole day again but Christ, what a nut game.

jackofshadows

Magister
We'll see but I don't think so since it looks like some weird balancing thing. By the way, the fact that local power armor is adding resistances to those from your common armor boggles my mind too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom