Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

agris

Arcane
Patron
Antigoon that’s a convoluted way of saying “no”.

Antigoon

Augur
Of course, and no amount of content or other patches will fix these issues. That's why they should acknowledge these shortcomings, move on and try to fix them in their next game. Actually, I am quite curious if they are having these issues on their agenda. Given that their game is seemingly doing OK on Steam I am not too sure about it.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I dislike idea of "bottomless trunk" they'll implement with their new update to transportation system. It de facto does away with limited carry/weight system, makes all resource management (food, water, weapons, ammo, artifacts) meaningless and from game mechanic which you need to respect because you wanna avoid penalties or have to be clever with what you've got, it makes all of that pointless and many mechanics whose meaning relies on weight system renders pointless and nothing more then UI clutter which might as well not exist

Yet another concession to casuals by the Devs. There is clear trend here. I'll try to lobby at Discord for car trunk instead of being magical loot blackhole it should be adding +200kg more carry space on Hard Difficulty

Alphons

Cipher
It de facto does away with limited carry/weight system, makes all resource management (food, water, weapons, ammo, artifacts) meaningless and from game mechanic which you need to respect because you wanna avoid penalties or have to be clever with what you've got, it makes all of that pointless and many mechanics whose meaning relies on weight system renders pointless and nothing more then UI clutter which might as well not exist

It's already meaningless, pointless UI clutter and might as well not exist.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Actually, I am quite curious if they are having these issues on their agenda. Given that their game is seemingly doing OK on Steam I am not too sure about it.
I highly doubt it, the genre isn't exactly full of fans who are articulate critical thinkers. But I'm not on their discord, I don't know what kinda feedback they are really taking to heart.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
They have withdrawn their presence from Codex (used to post here a lot), reduced their presence and chat on Discord by -95%, and only post occasional, every other day, Twitter post about some game trivia

In almost all patches since release there is clear trend of making game easier and easier, pulling teeth out from any mechanic (hunger, travel, combat) so that it can't bite Player in the ass. That is my 0%BS honest impression

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What I find fascinating is that they have different difficulty levels and barely utilize potential of Hard Mode to give authentic exp of game as it was ment to be experienced and played instead of as yet another product in THQ Nordic's portfolio for financial year 2021. Any interesting originallity and thrilling danger is caged so that normies can watch it, safe from experiencing any genuine emotion or hardship in their NPC lives. Only cheap dopamine boosts, before bed stories and fancy graphix

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Hopefully they'll release good & powerful ModTools. That was another reached stretch goal during Kickstarter

jackofshadows

Magister
They're just bad at game design. Why add mechanics in the first place if you can't properly refine them? It's not even about difficulty. Let's add hunger and thirst and then make it obsolete by overabundance of supplies. Let's add fucktons of loot in general and then give player a car where you can store whatever amount of it (was there since release, just a big car and not a optional small car as now). They were just adding feature after feature mindlessly to advertise this or that on twatter. In that sense yes, this trend goes back to EA and never stopped.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Let's add hunger and thirst and then make it obsolete by overabundance of supplies
Many such cases in gamedev in past 3-4 years. Many survival games have protagonists tripping over supplies. What's the point? Simulating feel of playing classic and challenging RPG instead of actually making one?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Bad influence on Devs' perception what gamers want by Discord can not be overstated. Entire books can be written about demonic sissy trannies with anime avatars from there who made many indie Devs give up on their game's identity. Conformity is a hell of drug

Keep in mind - Discord is #1 place many indie Devs go to for feedback and opinion

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bad influence on Devs' perception what gamers want by Discord can not be overstated. Entire books can be written about demonic sissy trannies with anime avatars from there who made many indie Devs give up on their game's identity. Conformity is a hell of drug

Keep in mind - Discord is #1 place many indie Devs go to for feedback and opinion

Clearly codex is the best place for feedback when building based games.

And also nuanced/civil conversations.

:smug:

Die Healing

Novice
Well I for one hope they improve the game enough so one day it isn't a bore to complete. Someone please tell me though what is the point of a car with another bottomless trunk when the player already gets one at every campsite?

Divine Blessing

Scholar
its called convinience, cuz majority wants to play a game and not excercise a diploma in logistic. the good thing is: use of player storage is optional, as is the use of Ursula and other convinience features. dislike flying? then simply dont fly...

there r more pressing issues than convinience, like almost no boss encounters (one boss-like), the itemisation etc.

Codex Year of the Donut
its called convinience, cuz majority wants to play a game and not excercise a diploma in logistic. the good thing is: use of player storage is optional, as is the use of Ursula and other convinience features. dislike flying? then simply dont fly...
There's a concept in game theory called dominant strategy.
To put it succinctly, players will always prefer to use the most effective strategy available to them if they're aware it exists.

This is why the "don't like X? Just don't use it" arguments fall flat on their face. It is contra to how humans inherently operate.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
point taken, but its an abstract reduction of a much broader issue - if dominant strategy is true and fun is the surpreme goal (which may seem subjective, but originates of an objective base), what would be the most effective strategy to fun in a game with some (subjectively) unfun non-gameplay relevant features? (yeah, exactly to just ignore those unfun non-gameplay relevant features)

its not the features per se, but the implied rationale, that (unknowingly) understands fun exclusively as representation of the socio-economic status. usually anti-conviniencers r teh hardcore crowd, who desperately need to distinct from the majority of (l)users to feel special...

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
How can you role-play in post-apocalyptic World without SCARCITY? Gold has no value to King Midas and survival mechanics in shopping mart are just bad larp
its called convinience, cuz majority wants to play a game and not excercise a diploma in logistic
I didn't know that little boys successfully playing RPGs and having fun in 80s, 90s and 2000s were logistics geniuses on par with general Patton and Caesar

Also, I repeat: keep normies happy and provide true role-playing experience. How? It's not hard: Hard Mode

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
and fun is the surpreme goal (which may seem subjective, but originates of an objective base)
There is nothing more subjective then fun
fun exclusively as representation of the socio-economic status. usually anti-conviniencers r teh hardcore crowd, who desperately need to distinct from the majority of (l)users to feel special...
Stay in normie difficulty mode, where you belong and be happy. What's the problem? I said that other modes would get their bottomless trunks and unlimited ammo. Why you wanna pull all teeth out from Hard Mode? Why you wanna shit on others' fun? Are you perhaps, may Allah forgive me for uttering these words: game journalist?

Antigoon

Augur
Also, I repeat: keep normies happy and provide true role-playing experience. How? It's not hard: Hard Mode
That should be the default and only mode they are actually putting time in developing. To keep casuals happy just tune down enemy damage, skill checks etc. to the point that none of the systems actual matter and every choice is valid. Sure its a shit way to implement different difficulties, but casuals won't notice or care anyway.

Antigoon

Augur
One new quest, gamepad & linux support, bug fixes and more work on their transport systems

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-school-isometic-turn-based-rpg/posts/3427412

ENCASED - Content patch 3: cars, a plane in the desert, gamepad support and Linux

9ced2654a47ad82d76a49c81c0ee3a52_original.png

Hello, backers! Our team was working hard these past few months to bring new and exciting content into Encased world. Today we're celebrating the release of the third content patch. Let's talk about it for a bit!

The full version of Encased was released in September and we’ve since introduced several hotfixes - and a couple of major patches - where we thoroughly worked on the UI, optimisation, level design and other aspects of the game. But all of this (with the exception of the special Halloween patch) was related to the content that was already in the game. That's great, but how about something new? Such as what we promised during our kickstarter campaign.

With this in mind, we started developing Patch 3. Today we are happy to present it to you and let you know what awaits you in the first (but not last!) large-scale Encased update.

b8686281dab913000aac98d8236c5fcd_original.png

A new adventure and cars
Before the Spire Station was built, cargo was delivered under the Dome by aircraft. One such aircraft - a decommissioned military transport callsigned Eldorado - made a hard landing in a mountainous area and was abandoned. A few years later, the plane which was devoid of life, began to broadcast strange signals... You’ll need to find out what is happening at the crash site and what fate befell the scientific group that went to investigate the plane shortly after it crashed. Oh and, by the way, on board the plane you can find a unique piece of clothing for your character as well as tons of loot.

We have redesigned the game's transport system; players can now steal almost any car (except those that will never run again). Having a car brings on many changes: not only can you navigate the map faster, but you also unlock new encounters, many of which can lead to highly unpredictable outcomes.

And conversely, we’ve added a little more predictability to random events in which you can encounter travelers named after kickstarter backers; as of now, if you convince someone to join one of the factions, upon arriving at the settlement, you will most certainly meet them, and some of such characters will become merchants.

33d4145d191f1ab21e9ba5a38e04ec8b_original.jpg

Bug fixes, gamepad and Linux version
We have long promised to add gamepad support to the game and spent a lot of time and effort on its implementation. Additional options have been added along with the gamepad and now you can adjust the font size - or enable high contrast mode – which will make the game more accessible to play on a large monitor or TV. Or, for that matter, on a small Steam Deck display.

We also released a Linux version of the game and fixed a lot of bugs, errors and polished some minor rough edges – the fixes were so numerous that we decided not to make a list at all this time. Believe us, you will still see enough of them, because we do not plan to abandon Encased, and in the near future a lot of new and interesting things await you.

Thank you for your support and please stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
The game is getting 8 GB update. I did not play it yet, but it seems pretty vast. I wonder if its only patches, or some additional content to flesh out mid- and endgame.

Its basically one big nothing. You get 1 quest, you can now steal random cars (big whoop!) and some bugfixing.

The game is still barren post act 1 months after release.

Vatnik Wumao
The game is still barren post act 1 months after release.

Such a shame. I've just downloaded it because I was bored of Wrathfinder, tutorial location felt really comfy, with a lot of effort put in. Gonna play through the first half, I guess, and quit when it turns into placeholder/scam.

Act 1 is pretty meaty. That's around 15 hours of solid content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom