Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Play a one-province microstate instead, NJClaw. ;)
I've already done my world conquests as Dithmarschen, Ryukyu, Oda, and Gorkha. Now I just enjoy picking important nations to go through their mission trees. But probably the most fun I had with this game was with the mod that makes you switch tag every 20 years or every time your ruler dies:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1511543643

I don't know if it works with the current patch, though.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Lmao, just realized you had to click the shield to claim a particular hegemon... I'm fucking moron.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Four provinces, four cardinals:

937xELm.png
I'm almost sad I have to ruin this perfection by conquering Ferrara...

CK2 is way better at modelling the political realities of the EU era than EU4.

Hard Agreement.

Man, I would love a game that is pretty much Crusader Kings but in the EU period. It was a period driven by many great men, and a character-focused game would definitively despict far better.

Also, EU has stupidly Westphalian states that look pretty stupid outside of Western Europe and China. There were plenty of non-Westphalian states at the time.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah, a pal gifted me CK3 recently and I'm really enjoying it, it's a step forward compared to CK2 in some ways (but a step back in others).

And I had played some EU4 before that, so when I got into CK3 I couldn't help but think how much better EU would be if it followed CK's model of character interactions. Every single historical event in that timeline would be so much better: conquistador characters setting out towards the new world even without your orders (like viking adventurers in CK), the reformation making some characters in your court convert and some stick to Catholicism, leading to some proper religious conflicts within larger empires, the development of absolutism and centralization to concentrate power under the kings and strip it from the local nobility, the revolutions of the Napoleonic age with kings being deposed and peasant factions rising up... all of this would work so well with CK's gameplay model.

EU really is the weakest of all Paradox games.
CK has the best character simulation.
HoI has the best combat.
Vicky has the best population simulation.
Even Imperator takes some cut-down versions of the character and population models from CK and Vicky.

But EU? EU is the most basic of them all. Nothing is simulated, everything is just a list of abstract boni. The historical period is so full of flavor, but the game brings nothing of it across. It's just super basic. EU covers 400 years of history during which a lot of stuff happened... yet its mechanics are super simplistic. Combat changes from late medieval heavy infantry and cavalry formations to pike and shot to musket line infantry, yet EU has the most simplistic combat model of all Paradox games. Even CK and Imperator have more interesting combat models with different unit types, EU only has generic inf, cav, arty. Most nations play exactly the same apart from some abstract bonuses and different tech development speeds, no matter if they're European, Muslim, Asian, Native American, African, or even Australian aboriginal... they all play similar (except North Americans with their migration mechanic I guess). There's no unique flavor like there is in the CK games. And tech development doesn't feel half as impactful as in Vicky or even CK, either. It's all just very generic and boring.

I hope that if they ever make EU 5, it's gonna be inspired more by CK than by the existing EU formula.

some time ago i mentioned i tried mongolia already but didn't know how long ago. turns out it was in eu3 :V
i take suggestions on how to restart and develop. i tried it once, i conquered pretty much everything around china and halfway through siberia but i can't do anything else because i can't sustain an army. if i detach from china (to whom i'm a tributary) relations move from +200 to -88, and having half the military power... yet i'm a superpower if i do. i can't stop corruption (up to 7 now) because if i stop conquering (and now i have to, everyone around me is just too big for my tiny army) my economy further deflates.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
i can't do anything else because i can't sustain an army.

I've been solving the cash problems mostly by colonizing and having long trade routes with that.

As Mongolia you probably can colonize Indonesia and Australia relatively early and maybe set up a colony on the West coast (higher force limit, but not necessarily more cash).

Higher Game

Arcane
i can't do anything else because i can't sustain an army.

I've been solving the cash problems mostly by colonizing and having long trade routes with that.

As Mongolia you probably can colonize Indonesia and Australia relatively early and maybe set up a colony on the West coast (higher force limit, but not necessarily more cash).

I've found out that bankruptcy abuse is the solution to cash shortages, and slackening recruiting standards gets you all the manpower you need (and mercenaries, of course), and vassal feeding gets you all the expansion you want without being bottlenecked by mana. Really, the hardest limit to how rapidly one can blob is the aggressive expansion problem. I think the best way around this is just knowing exactly where to declare an unjustified war at the edge of one's colonial range to dilute AE as much as possible. Colonies are ok at this, but they cost you a few decades of needing to use expansion rather than a pure AE reducing idea, and if you have full diplomatic then a few -1 stability hits is probably less of a loss than going down a weak idea group for a while.

i restarted, trying to do things a bit better. the eastern states allied each other and uzbek wouldn't ally with me. i'm locked with no way out. there shouldn't be this kind of randomness in the first few years.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
some time ago i mentioned i tried mongolia already but didn't know how long ago. turns out it was in eu3 :V
i take suggestions on how to restart and develop. i tried it once, i conquered pretty much everything around china and halfway through siberia but i can't do anything else because i can't sustain an army. if i detach from china (to whom i'm a tributary) relations move from +200 to -88, and having half the military power... yet i'm a superpower if i do. i can't stop corruption (up to 7 now) because if i stop conquering (and now i have to, everyone around me is just too big for my tiny army) my economy further deflates.

Just attack Ming whenever they pass their first reform and get low imperial authority (or whatever it's called). You then put Ming in a death spiral and eat them up.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
they've never been weak, and always fielded at least double my army.

Surely they've implemented an imperia reform at some point?

Your army is much stronger than theirs when their mandate is low, especially on flat terrain. Stack wipe them and cause rebellions.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I'm telling you that you can crush their army even if it is twice your size.

It's not about them "being weak" it's about them having low mandate which they get after they implement a reform.

Higher Game

Arcane

Your timing is off if you aren't going through at least 3 strategic bankruptcies before the age of absolutism if you start out as a great power, and probably 6 of them if you're starting as a meme country. Are you remembering to drill as much as you can to max military professionalism ASAP?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom