Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I guess nobody ever told Bethesda that you can use both collision meshes and per-pixel hit detection... technology that was used in games 15 years ago.

How exactly would you do "per-pixel hit detection" in a 3D game in which the smallest unit of movement is something along the lines of 1 * 10^-63, and where small enclosed areas probably reach 100 in all directions, minimum, with the boundaries being all over the place?
I'm not a programmer, I just know that fucking Halo did it on the original Xbox.

AngryKobold

Arcane
I guess nobody ever told Bethesda that you can use both collision meshes and per-pixel hit detection... technology that was used in games 15 years ago.

How exactly would you do "per-pixel hit detection" in a 3D game in which the smallest unit of movement is something along the lines of 1 * 10^-63, and where small enclosed areas probably reach 100 in all directions, minimum, with the boundaries being all over the place?

The magic word here is "raycasting". A mind- bending, unbelievable method used in every single 3D game since first Wolfenstein.

Now the best part. Not like Bethesda didn't used it; it's there. The problem is, VATS and real time shooting are two completely separate modes, each with its own method for detecting intersections. The intersections for real time are tested only after the bullet is shot...

A perfect real world analogy: two morons working together at the same thing, both not knowing what the other one is doing. It's an intentional example. Certainly that's how an average day in Bethesda looks like.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well Wolfenstein 3D and Doom only checked if you hit in 2 dimensions, so they were cheating a little bit.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I remember id making a big f'in deal about how shots would go through the legs of monsters in Doom 3.

Hah, yes, I remember this book dedicating a full page or two to talking about how a rocket could fly between the legs of a Hell Knight.

68573.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I remember id making a big f'in deal about how shots would go through the legs of monsters in Doom 3.

Hah, yes, I remember this book dedicating a full page or two to talking about how a rocket could fly between the legs of a Hell Knight.

68573.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuck, I remember reading that years ago. Had an entire page or two dedicated to splerging about how mindblowing ragdoll physics were and how big a game changer they'd be to the industry as a whole.

Which to be fair, it kinda was, I guess.

Psquit

Arcane
I still don't know who would give Aaron Diaz so much fucking money for that goddamn webcartoon. Fuck.

Somehow, that is more interesting than Fallout 4.

fallout 3 is so bad that make brotherhood of steel look like a real fallout game... infact that game still have better story than any bethesda game to date.

Bony

Learned
Queued
ITZ ON !!! YAOOOOOOOWWWW TO ALL MY FANS, ITZ THREE DAWG @@@@!!

Fallout 4 Release Date News; Inon Zur Hints At May 15 Announcement At PAX East And ThreeDog Tweets About A 2014 Release

FALLOUT 4 will be THE BIGGEST GAME OF 2014!!! And Three Dog WILL BE BACK!!! — Erik Todd Dellums (@ETDellums)

Reliable source #2 comes from Bethesda themselves, albeit in a roundabout kind of way. A job posting on Bethesda site looking for "experienced programmers to work on cutting-edge technology for an unannounced game on future-generation consoles."

the ad lists "experience playing Bethesda game studios games a plus" in the requirements. The speculation is that the post refers to Fallout, as Bethesda Game studios(as opposed to their sister company and Dishonored publisher Bethesda softworks
) has only published Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles in the last decade

I was at an audio panel today at PAX East. Inon Zur(who has worked on Fallout 3 and New Vegas) kept teasing about an upcoming project. He said it would be announced on May 15th.. Considering the place(Boston) and whose mouth it came from, i'd love to think that it's Fallout 4. I guess we'll see, eh?

I think it's safe to say the wait is almost over fellow Fallout fans. Hopefully this time next year we're trekking around the ruins of Boston using V.A.T.S. to liquefy bandits and mutants and tweeting about the killer next-gen graphics and enormous open-world.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/16312/20130401/fallout-4-release-date-news-inon-zur.htm

I think it's safe to say the wait is almost over fellow Fallout fans. Hopefully this time next year we're trekking around the ruins of Boston using V.A.T.S. to liquefy bandits and mutants and tweeting about the killer next-gen graphics and enormous open-world.

:yeah:

The essence of Fallout!

:bravo:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:yeah:

The continuing misinterpretation of Fallout by Bethesda officially continues!

:hearnoevil:: Because Boston is fuckin' funny!

:balance:: Wait 'til you see the ghouls we've got planned for ya!

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The magic word here is "raycasting". A mind- bending, unbelievable method used in every single 3D game since first Wolfenstein.

Now the best part. Not like Bethesda didn't used it; it's there. The problem is, VATS and real time shooting are two completely separate modes, each with its own method for detecting intersections. The intersections for real time are tested only after the bullet is shot...

A perfect real world analogy: two morons working together at the same thing, both not knowing what the other one is doing. It's an intentional example. Certainly that's how an average day in Bethesda looks like.

I'm well aware of it, it's one of the two main methods used for collision detection afterall.

First off, we've got raytracing, in we shoot out a ray to find a point of collision and well, collide, to add some extra precision, we shoot out more rays to test for hits.
Secondly, we just move the entity in a step and see if he ends up inside anything, and if he does, we typically try progressively smaller steps until we moved somewhere in which we're not inside somethng.

Both of these have their own pros and cons, raytracing for example works great for really small objects (which using the other method would move in steps far exceeding itself in size), especially ones which are moving really fast, since you can cheaply check a vector (or several) for their collision points and update accordingly.
On the other hand, raytracing is really bad for big objects, as the amount of rays you'll need to shoot out to check for collisions with adequate precision become rather prohibitive; you never know what kind of weird stuff you'll have to test against.

The other method moves things in deltas at a fixed rate per time-slice, and you can increase the amount of steps to accomodate smaller objects, and this is what's typically used. Basically the entity is moved, and then the engine checks to see it it'll end up inside anything, if yes, it responds in some way, some try progressively smaller steps, others will attempt to apply resistance/inertia/momentum to other things.
This is great for big objects, as it allows them to be moved far more cheaply, for small objects it's really bad and it will always end up in one of two ways; 1) The object moves so fast, it will test on the otherside of the obstacle, and will therefore completely avoid said obstacle 2) the movement resolution is made so fine, it becomes prohobitively expensive to do, just like raytracing is with large objects.

Both of these can technically be made (much) cheaper and more accurate via the use of collision meshes, but that brings us right back to the original issue, things with bounding boxes far exceeding itself.

tl;dr, raytracing is not the silver bullet you make it out to be.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are we talking about Fallout 4? Is this some kind of viral marketing thing, where Bethesda agents infiltrate RPG forums and start discussion about the game soon before it is announced, to get more hype?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Can Fallout 4 set the bar even lower than Fallout 3? Will we ever get NPCs uglier than Moira? Can the retarded ideas like Little Lamplight or the Antagonizer be surpassed? How many kilometers of generic metro tunnels will we crawl through? WILL STEEL BE WITH YOU OR AGAINST YOU?

Find out in 2014 thanks to the Toddster!

granit

Scholar

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm interested in seeing what their engine revamp from Skyrim can do with 8GB of RAM though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom