Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Black

Arcane

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Many of the elements Bethesda did in 3 could be easily explained with the logics of FO's world. For instance, you could have made Megaton into some sort of mini dictatorship or religious cult, and say this is the reason why people live there (because they can't leave). This also could help you to explain other small elements of this world. Like the Republic of Dave being an effort to stop being as evil as Megaton, just to produce a new kind of evil. It made me mad to realize that Dave was marked as a Good character (if you kill him you get bad karma) but he just seemed to be an asshole imo.
I always assumed that Fo3 orignally was meant to take place right after the war, as opposed to 200 years later. Specifically, players could find a Chinese Paratrooper's corpse and everything looked burnt. As for Megaton, I thought that the people stayed, because it was the only place that was not directly bombed. Of course, in a setting that takes place 200 years after the war, none of it makes sense, especially a 200 year old corpse left exposed in a desert.

Don't hold your breath. This thing will crush all the sales records, now matter how many pages of whining we produce. The nu-Fallout fanbase is far too big for it to fail.

I rather meant post sale reaction. It hurts long term. Reputation is a thing central to how those enterprises function.

You're overestimating their core audience. I have an inkling of hope that maybe some of people who played New Vegas will compare that with FO4 and come out disappointed. But I assure you that most probably won't give two poops on a stick about the story and C&C.

I didn't mean C&C or story. Those leaks are full of bad graphic, extremely retarded dialogue choices, very cheap looking things like a dog AI. It looks like those leakers notice those. Maybe leakers are smarter than general public, who knows, but few weeks ago there were not even a slim chance for a backlash.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Guise don't forget

wGLxG2t.png

Adon

Arcane
I didn't mean C&C or story. Those leaks are full of bad graphic, extremely retarded dialogue choices, very cheap looking things like a dog AI. It looks like those leakers notice those. Maybe leakers are smarter than general public, who knows, but few weeks ago there were not even a slim chance for a backlash.

Still applies. Fallout 3 wouldn't have been as successful as it was if those things mattered that much to Bethesda fans.

Riskbreaker

I have read those last several or more pages and I must confess nothing I have read recently made me so much uplifted. It looks there is at least a slim chance this turd will backfire. Nothing could made me more happy! I wish bethesda to burn so much that even writing words "bethesda" and "burn" in one sentence makes me unconsciously grin. Burn bethesda! Burn!
No way in Hell.
Try to read that incredibly masturbatory "Making of" mega-article from GameInformer, one that was posted a couple of pages ago. Hell, just skim over it and read a few bits.

After that, it is nigh impossible that this game will receive anything short of glowing praise from that publication. You can be assured that it will be the same with basically every single major site and magazine out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeronet

Learned
Y'know, I had this strange deluded notion that Fallout New Vegas might of taught them something, I don't know why I'm surprised that every game they make seems to just get worse. I had middling expectations for Fallout 4 and they failed to meet even those based on these leaks.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
:updatedmytxt:So much glorious butthurt in this thread, it is almost worth it to see Bethesda destroy the Fallout franchise, obliterate it even... The popamolers can have it evermore like their Call of Duty (which was a damn good series up to Modern Warfare) Crysis and all that console shit
:mrpresident:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh and how come the couple at the start of the game have to man and woman, what about my transexual right to equal marriage and all that good shit

To further expand on this, a quote from someone on /v/

Why would they make a place with planes debris and stuff and live in there while an active nuclear bomb is on the center of that place, while just couple blocks away there's a supermarket that's bigger than the place and perfectly viable to live?
If you ask around Megaton, you're told the cultists were a large part of the original population and wouldn't accept living away from the bomb. The bomb lacks the mechanism that makes it explode anyway so it's harmless...unless some bored asshole finds a spare one somehow and installs it for the lulz, but what are the chances of that?

I always assumed that Fo3 orignally was meant to take place right after the war, as opposed to 200 years later. Specifically, players could find a Chinese Paratrooper's corpse and everything looked burnt. As for Megaton, I thought that the people stayed, because it was the only place that was not directly bombed. Of course, in a setting that takes place 200 years after the war, none of it makes sense, especially a 200 year old corpse left exposed in a desert.

You can find living (well, ghoulified) Chinese troopers still waiting for invasion instructions. Don't think about it too much.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Y'know, I had this strange deluded notion that Fallout New Vegas might of taught them something, I don't know why I'm surprised that every game they make seems to just get worse. I had middling expectations for Fallout 4 and they failed to meet even those based on these leaks.

New Vegas was made by Obsidian and it didn't sell as much as Fallout 3, that's why they are going the F3 route.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
New Vegas was made by Obsidian and it didn't sell as much as Fallout 3, that's why they are going the F3 route.

I know a lot of people who gave up on Fallout after 3.. Obsidian got the short stick coming right after that game..
"Oh yea.. I heard about New Vegas.. never tried it.. I didn't really like Fallout 3"

Those same friends are going to buy Fallout 4 though because they figure "Hell, let's see if this game got it right"

And thus.. the endless cycle continues.

No way in Hell.
Try to read that incredibly masturbatory "Making of" mega-article from GameInformer, one that was posted a couple of pages ago. Hell, just skim over it and read a few bits.

After that, it is nigh impossible that this game will receive anything short of glowing praise from that publication. You can be assured that it will be the same with basically every single major site and magazine out there.

I already watched that retarded polish video preview that was posted several pages earlier. Please have mercy on me, it was enough for my poor brain!
Major sites and magazines can only do so much for a game. They can boost sales, somehow manipulate the public but, when dissonance becomes too big their efforts is rendered ineffective. In the long term the players will have more influence on the game and studio reputation. I know it's tempting to blame all stupidity on press subtly manipulating the masses, but in reality there is an extent to which they can be manipulated. People usually are manipulated when they themselfs want to be manipulated, when they craw for an illusion. But there is a limit how much detachment from reallity an average human can accept. Sometimes the dissonance is jut to big. It's looks that we are approaching this level with this.... thing.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron
http://kotaku.com/5078237/fallout-3-moves-47-million-copies -4.7 million.
http://www.ggsgamer.com/2010/11/08/bethesda-announce-record-sales-figures-for-fallout-new-vegas/ - Five million. Yeah, that was almost certainly mostly due to the new fanbase created the two years in between them, but the basic numbers clearly show it sold more. And that isn't counting most of the gazliion steam copies.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
You can find living (well, ghoulified) Chinese troopers still waiting for invasion instructions. Don't think about it too much.
That makes my brain hurt. At this point, maybe I am giving Bethesda the benefit of the doubt with regards to a complete change in direction of the story. Otherwise, I cannot imagine Bethesda's thought process behind 200 year old Chinese ghoul paratroopers and Megaton.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom