Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

circ

Arcane
Gee that's nice Bethesda. I see you didn't bother explaining how stimpacks are able to heal limbs in an instant. Or nerf armor weave - which makes no visual changes but suddenly a piece of shit dress offers more protection than metal. And I see being infused to power armor is now required with the new save feature, seeing as how 99% of my deaths are due to OP grenades.

MWaser

Arbiter
Game-saving through sleeping? That could be fine if we were not talking about fucking Bethesda and their crappy Gamebryo engine. I remember Fallout 3 crashing every 5 minutes. What if the game crashes after 4 hours of constant play?
Got the idea to write this after my previous point, seems I wasn't quick enough to write it while away. It's almost as if you had looked into my thoughts.

I don't imagine this going particularly well, one of the main reasons I spammed F5 every 10 seconds in all Bethesda games was because the game could have crashed on any given second, trying to load... well... anything.
Watch the no-progress playthroughs happen with hardcore mode.

orcinator

Liturgist
which makes no visual changes but suddenly a piece of shit dress offers more protection than metal

That's dumb, that upgrade

I'm pretty sure futurkevlar would offer better protection against bullets than scrap metal.

Also upgraded sturdy and heavt metal armor outperforms it anyway and you can't legendary bonuses so not like it's worth using unless you want to be fashionable.

Jozoz

Prophet
At least it's now a slightly better Far Cry copy!

But I'm still very glad to see this. Good design decisions from Bethesda, bless up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Some of it sounds good, the rest fairly tedious. No fast travel is a huge time sink. But most of the stuff sounds like the game might be hard enough to finally have a use for power armor.

circ

Arcane
LOLOL Bethesda. So I fought my first Courser. It had more HP than anything else I've fought so far. I haven't spent as long on even a glowing legendary deathclaw or whatever.

OH SHIT DAWG. JUST WOW LOL. VIRGIL WARSN YOU DUDE. THEY FIRECE. TOUGH.

Just no. I've fought tougher - I don't know, think of something that isn't tough like your mom. ZING. It had a shitload of hp, or maybe it's just SUPER resistant to lasers? Why Bethesda? They're humans with robot brains or something? Slightly more resistant vs radiation. But seeing as how I was wearing maxed out X-01 PA, I'm not sure it did any damage to me.

WHY DO YOU LIE SO MUCH TODD? WHY CAN'T YOU BE CONSISTENT WITH YOUR OWN LORE BETHESDA?

edit: oh forgot. Atleast there's this.

CLcKbf3.jpg

Last edited:

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
FO4 is actually pretty stable.
Had one, maybe two crashes within a tripple digit playtime.

There is a fuckasshuge warning indicator if somebody throws a nade at you (on top of the pretty obvious voicefile that enemies play while throwing). Just move your sorry ass out of the way.

This game has a ton of flaws, high difficulty isn't among them. Its pretty hard to die. On higher levels you can literally walk around buttassnaked on Survival without much problems, as long as you stay away from radiation and don't run into one of these Assaultrons.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Survival difficulty 'breaks' around level 20ish when you can put multiple points into the damage boosting perks. You still take significant damage yourself but there are so many damn chems lying around you'll have more than enough. I stopped looting animal meats and shit a while ago because a quarter of my carry weight was bogged down by food I didn't need.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Oh boy, upon further digging there are strings referencing developing Insomina and being unable to sleep or only having a few hours. And there seems to be references to being forced to resort to cannibalism.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Survival difficulty 'breaks' around level 20ish when you can put multiple points into the damage boosting perks. You still take significant damage yourself but there are so many damn chems lying around you'll have more than enough. I stopped looting animal meats and shit a while ago because a quarter of my carry weight was bogged down by food I didn't need.
basically, I'm having the same issue as well: Over 132 mirelurk eggs, 40 Mirelurk roasted meat and 23 cakes, along with 40 queen meats. There's so much other crap in my aid, along with over 100 stimpaks, I'm starting to dump my food into the storage at Sanctuary. There's no point once you're stocked up with that much stimpak. Probably later on will take the medic perk once my damage is going through the roof to stay alive as long as possible, though it only truly works when you hit at lvl.48, I think.

typical user

Arbiter
Not to mention you get power armour in first hour of the game. In my second playthrough which I abandoned because this game was plain boring and broken while trying to be as evil as I could get, I picked up that power armor, repaired it with scrap I already got and decided I will try to go as long as I can until I run out of fuel. That never happened. Everywhere I went I found fusion cores, in destroyed trucks on the way to Lexington, in some rundown buildings in Concord, in chests and trashcans. Everywhere.

Fusion Cores are a strange topic for me. I'd typically find one or so an hour, most often in the generator of a building. But then sometimes I'd stumble over your average trash can or container and get three at once. Three. I can't tell you the number of times I've checked my inventory afterwards thinking I saw wrong and it must have been Fusion Cells.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
Now watch how survival mode will be a simplistic, limited, featureless hunk of gunk, and modders as usual will struggle with improving the piece of shit.

pippin

Nice to see that they really captured the subtle nuances of Boston culture.

This is something I've been wondering for a while.
I'm not going to assume that older FOs captured local subcultures because they were meant to offer a pitcure of America in general, but since Bethesda acquired the franchise it became a "localized" endeavour. I mean, New Vegas really felt like Nevada and shit. At least it gave the feeling the region still had its identity and all that. But how do the Bethesda games capture the "soul" of their locations? I'm going to assume they do it poorly, because in 3 nothing really tells me this is Washington, other than landmarks and shit.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Yeah, i've been wondering for any codex member that have been visiting Boston in the past or Boston Native themselves.

Did Bethesda captures Boston culture and vibes really well ?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Most of the response I've seen from people living in Boston has been very positive, Emil, the Lead Designer is also from Boston and apparently one of his main tasks was to make it feel accurate.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't use power armor at all. I've yet to find an instance where it's needed. PsychoJet handles just about any and all situations. The new Survival is going to dial back the time that locations respawn with enemies and loot (way too fast currently) but hopefully it dials back the amount of materials out there, too.

Also... explosive combat shotgun. Barring derpy shit like the Fat Man and missile launchers this has to be the most broken weapon in the game. If you max out the non automatic rifle and explosive perks this will destroy nearly any enemy in two or three quick shots and will easily one shot most weaker enemies. The only drawback is you can't use it at point blank range since you'll blow yourself up, too. At this point I'm probably just going to sell off all my other ammo and get shotgun ammo.

Re: Boston -- they did a good job with 'replicating' it for in-game purposes. I had a funny moment of E-Deja vu walking by the Old Granary Burial Ground because I used to walk past that nearly every day to work when I lived there. As far as the culture goes... eh... it's very campy/generic. Shallow parodies but I'm sure no one was expecting anything deep. They do go a bit overboard with some of the accents, too.

At the very least the design of Boston is far superior to D.C. which was mostly a heap of impassible rubble dotted with small pockets connected by the subway. Here they have a bunch of the neighborhoods and have some decent level design given the city's vertical nature as opposed to D.C. where nothing can be taller than the capitol building.

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
So I was watching a review of MGSV, and um, it looks like it takes Bethesda's concepts and actually puts effort into them. Or Bethesda got their hands on the MGSV design docs and tried their best to implement things like base building but fucked up every step of the way.

Meanwhile in Fallout 4 I maxed Rifleman. It just completely breaks the game. I can't say it was a challenge headshotting people, specially when stealthing too, but why did you have to make Rifleman so ridiculously overpowered? That goes for just about every skill. You end up being an invulnerable superman by the end it seems - naked and unarmed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As if things weren't broken enough I stumbled on to the ballistic weave mod (after doing a few Railroad quests). I've been wearing a baseball uniform under my limb/chest armor for the stats... but now I can give it up to +110 DR... and STILL wear it under my other armor. Hilarious. Progressed the main quest to the point where I faced Kellogg (what a terrible name for a villain) and he died in two seconds.

Do they even have internal testers?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well there isn't really a Washington D.C/Northern Virginia or California accent so it wouldn't matter much in FO3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom