Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Jozoz

Prophet
KZDcQIf.png

MWaser

Arbiter
We're getting absolutely roasted.

Are we? Whoever made this cartoon has never played Fallout. Likely never played a single RPG made in 20th century. It all falls apart with his "complex, value based skills that take hours upon hours to improve". That phrase is loaded.

1) It's gibberish technospeak meant to feign knowledge on subject he knows nothing about. WTF are "complex value-based skills" ? Why would you phrase it that way?
2) The main strengths of Fallout were C&C, world reactivity, world cohesiveness, and dialogue. Not its skill system, which was rather ordinary. But someone who hasn't played it, wouldn't know.
3) The whole "hours upon hours" thing is a generic insult the moderntard applies to "old-school RPGs". Despite it not being true in Fallout, of course. It was not a grindy game at all. But someone who has not played it, wouldn't know.

Tards gonna tard.
The comic works perfectly for everyone it is pandering towards. It will fulfill its goal.

Scientists are well known for their love of high adrenaline action, as opposed to this boring "reading" shit

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I think the comic is actually making fun of Fallout 3 fans who are unhappy with Fallout 4's hyper-streamlining.

typical user

Arbiter
I think the comic is actually making fun of Fallout 3 fans who are unhappy with Fallout 4's hyper-streamlining.

When someone bashes Fallout 4 for it's streamlining and then points out that Fallout 3 had great quests and dialogue then I immediately assume he is an idiot.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
wtf there are people who dislike fallout 4 but likes 3

this game is definitely better than fallout 3

circ

Arcane
What the fuck is better about 3 exactly? Other than getting to be somewhat more evil in your choices and blowing the shit out of shit like Fuckaton.

FO3 - Shittier, and boy do I mean shitty, character visuals. Facial animations are pretty much the same - shit.

FO3 - Lulzy as fuck animations. Atleast they have diagonal animations now, not that they're much of an improvement - the walking animations is stiff and actually has missing frames, because??

People say gunplay has improved since FO3. I don't get this. I can't tell the difference. Because you now have a really shitty mechanic that makes you able to pop out from behind walls?

Better story? Oh boy. Not giving FO4 any awards in this category either but come on.

Better more varied locations? HAHAHAHAHA. Hueh.

Better quests? FO3 had two passable not blow your cock off quests - Riley's Rangers and Sydney something. Not seen anything like those, they're badly paced and devoid of character, but atleast there's no downright stupid shit like THOSE or WASTELAND SUPERHEROES.

Jozoz

Prophet
In Fallout 3 you had a lot more options in the dialogue. It wasn't well written or anything but you could just ask people about random shit in the world.

Now everyone just has a one line if you attempt to talk to them if they aren't quest givers.

For example imagine all the random people in Megaton who meant fuck all in the game. You could talk to them and that was nice.

Fallout 3 is obviously not a good game by any means but I could stomach playing through it. With Fallout 4 I just can't.

circ

Arcane
Yeah ok, that's true I guess.

In FO4 dialogue choices go something like this:

Tell me more. Ok I'll do it.

I'd be happy to do it.

Unghhh. Ok I guess I'll do it.

I'll do it later ok? But I'll do it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As hard as it is to say 3 had better writing overall. 4 certainly has better combat and they get the crafting/scavenging stuff right but the story/quests/writing are all lazy beyond belief. Not that I play these games for a rich RPG experience so I'd just as soon as they focus on the combat aspects. It's a good step for the franchise that obviously wasn't going to revert to a traditional CRPG.

4 has better gunplay because it's faster and smoother over the shitty stilted animations of 3. Never mind the variations in guns via crafting.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Story wise, I agree with people above.

Combat wise, I still find 3 better. I don't know, the clunky animation was somewhat.. charming I guess? It has something unique going on with it. 4 is basically just another FPS/shooter combat wise.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Eh, fallout 3's combat felt confused between an rpg and an fps it'd be often that despite aiming correctly your shots wouldn't hit, whereas now it's based on aiming. Also shots seem to feel better and have more impact but it's subjective, I do wish they improved skills though instead of throwing them away.

Also, the new beta update just re-added support for mods and apparently it's improved performance for some people too.

And, this interview with Todd "sweet little lies" Howard just revealed a bunch of new info (http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...iscusses-fallout-4-dlc-mods-amp-survival-mode):

Pretty much, Creation Kit is dropping in April and Survival Mode will only save your game when you sleep and they're planning on running a long beta for it and tweaking it based off player feedback before it hits public release. They've also "improved combat making enemies less bullet spongy" and fast travel will be disabled.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
They're both terrible, just for different reasons. I'd say Fallout 3 was more entertaining owing to its sheer level of "What the fuck were they thinking?" Moments (Turning Harold in to a fucking tree, Little Lamplight, Tranquility Lane, the entire finale), where Fallout 4's quests are the deadly combination of badly written and incredibly boring and dull. The guns in Fallout 4 are uglier than the ones in Fallout 3, though it's a pretty close call, and the gunplay is definitely improved. This is still an important improvement, because about the only way you'll find Fallout 4 entertaining, as the comic ironically demonstrates, is if you're content with doing absolutely nothing but slaughtering nameless raiders and supermutants for hours and hours until your character becomes so stupidly broken that it becomes boring.

As with most Bethesda games, Fallout 4 has a lot of surface level variety that tricks you in to thinking it's a vast, complex world, but when you actually try to jump in to its vast ocean, you quickly realize it's as deep as a puddle.

EDIT: I'd also say a big weakness of Fallout 4 is that it just lacks the grit that prior games (even Fallout 3, to an extent) have. I don't know if I can nail it down to anything in particular, whether it be the fact that your voiced protagonist is a clearly-defined character who can never really act like a real hood when the player wants them to, or the somewhat cushy way it handles a lot of its themes (it mostly regulates the issue of slavery to synths, and if anything somewhat belittles it with the Railroad faction, despite it being something of a hallmark of the series), it just feels too soft to be a real Fallout game.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah it was fun at first because combat was extremely challenging. Now I'm at level 25, though, I destroy things on Survival. Explosive combat shotgun sort of demolishes anything and everything.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Transcript for those that don't want to click gameinformer article.

I don’t think anyone thought of Bethesda Game Studios as a multi-game studio, and then you did Fallout Shelter and Fallout 4. Now you’re saying you’re stepping up the efforts to three games. What can you tell us about this switch?

We’ve always kind of overlapped stuff, but I guess we’re doing more now than we ever have. [The projects] aren’t all the same scale, but they are longer term. We’re also doing DLC, and Fallout Shelter, creation kit, and mod stuff, updating the game – we’ve got a lot going on.

We got to the point with the studio in Montreal where we can start expanding. We thought that ‘Hey, these are things we talked about doing, so why not, let’s start.’

I was in your studio 25 days before Fallout 4 released, and it was very much the calm before the storm. Talk me through the game’s launch.

It was pretty amazing in retrospect. I think you lose a little perspective when making games, and you’re happy that it got done. You hope that when it comes out, it’s really good, and sells like crazy. That’s what’s in your head. One of the things that is amazing: Fallout 4 sold more day one digitally than at retail. That’s a big change.

All of that Fallout energy when it came out, it was so much. That blur of finishing it excites us a lot. We have a really good platform with the Fallout platform, and now we say ‘What can we do with it?’

What was your big takeaway from the player feedback you were getting?

They played the game a lot. There is some ‘I played the main quest, I finished it, I’m done,’ but there are so many people that play the game for so long. It’s not just feeding them content; it’s how do you make that better?

After finishing up The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you revealed your team did an internal game jam to generate new DLC ideas. Did you do that for Fallout 4?

We did. Survival mode came out of that. We had talked about doing robot stuff, and there was a bunch of that in there. We do that every game. We do that in the middle of development. So we did that in the middle of Fallout 4. When we finished what we call our vertical slice preproduction build – when you can actually play the game – we do one for a week then. That fuels features for the main game like jetpacks and a number of other things. And we do another at the end, which is focused on mining ideas for DLC. We kind of talk about stuff, but when we start to see it on screen, we say ‘That’s really good. Here are the things we can do. What’s going to be in an update? Hey these fit in a package.’

What are some of the most surprising and creative things you’ve seen from the community in regards to the settlements?

Giant, animated, inappropriate images. [laughs] The popularity of the workshop stuff; that fueled a lot of communication between players.

When I interviewed you prior to launch, you said there was one big thing you didn’t put into the game, but you wouldn’t tell me what it was. Is that something that is in the DLC now?

If it’s the one that’s in my head right now, it’s too big for DLC. [laughs]

With all of the new projects in the works, is Fallout 4’s DLC created by the internal team that made the core game?

Yes. We kind of split the team up. We’re also expanding so that helps us. We have the team in Montreal; that helps too. It’s the same group.

You announced three pieces of DLC recently. What can you tell us about this first wave of content?

The one thing we’ve found about DLC is that we’ve done all types at all price points and all sizes, and we’ve come to the realization that it all works. It all sells really well. We went into [Fallout 4] and decided to do all types at all price points. With this initial run, we want to have a little bit of everything.

The first one Automatron has a little quest line and this Pokémon-esque ‘kill robots, get their parts, build your own’ [gameplay]. The robot building is really deep. It’s great.

The Wasteland Workshop DLC is obviously for Workshop people. We wanted it to scratch that itch of ‘Can I build my own Thunderdome?’ You can build your own arenas, capture animals, and also build other things.

A lot of people gravitate toward the larger ‘Okay, I’m going to a new landmass, it’s somewhere new.’ That’s Far Harbor. That costs more, takes us longer, and there’re more people on it.

In our previous DLC [offerings], we kind of did them one at a time and announced them that way, but because we were working on all of these three at one time, and fit a different niche, we thought ‘Let’s announce them at the same time.’

You said you are going to beta test Survival Mode. How is that going to unfold?

That’s going to be something different than we usually do. Survival mode has a lot of changes that can be pretty dramatic. Once we get it honed where it’s working well enough, we’re going to put it on Steam beta for a while. ‘Here it is. Start playing it. Give us feedback.’ It’s far easier to update and iterate on [PC]. Once we settle on it, then we’ll release it for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. We want to get it up soon on Steam beta. It’s not going to be months and months off. If it’s not really working, and we need to iterate on it, it may stay in beta for a month, depending on what we are changing. But we want to make it have the game feel different. The bits we’ve done, and me recently playing it, it’s absolutely some of the most fun I’ve had playing Fallout. I mean that honestly. It changes it in a good way for me, but it might not for everybody.

We’re doing things like you can’t save, it only saves your game when you sleep. You can’t fast travel. There’re all of these diseases. We’re trying it all. It’s a different experience. We’re not trying to make it a ton harder. It’s harder because you’re doing more things. We want the combat to feel different, as opposed to just being a bullet sponge.

When can we expect to see mods, especially on console side?

Our goal is between the first two DLCs. It’ll go up at that time on PC. In April. All of that stuff will go up on PC. People are beta testing it. There’ll be a lag on consoles. We want to get it up on PC and have it work. It’ll probably be a good month before it hits Xbox One, and another month for PlayStation 4.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Between the first two DLCs...so does that mean after the large DLC and the other? Because they're already shitting out several DLC at once.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After finishing up The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you revealed your team did an internal game jam to generate new DLC ideas. Did you do that for Fallout 4?

We did. Survival mode came out of that. We had talked about doing robot stuff, and there was a bunch of that in there. We do that every game. We do that in the middle of development. So we did that in the middle of Fallout 4. When we finished what we call our vertical slice preproduction build – when you can actually play the game – we do one for a week then. That fuels features for the main game like jetpacks and a number of other things. And we do another at the end, which is focused on mining ideas for DLC. We kind of talk about stuff, but when we start to see it on screen, we say ‘That’s really good. Here are the things we can do. What’s going to be in an update? Hey these fit in a package.’

This is kind of their entire development cycle in a nutshell isn't it?
They play around and brainstorm some AWESOME features, then build a shitty game with AWESOME scenarios to make use of these AWESOME features, with no thought given to the cohesive whole.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
We’re doing things like you can’t save, it only saves your game when you sleep. You can’t fast travel.

Might actually be not bad.

There would be still some fast travel in a way, since you have the BoS to give you rides in the Vertibirds, but it would be a bit more of a choice.

Lets see.
I still don't really trust Beth to make this usefull and i'm a bit annoyed that it took them so long to shit this out. Game has absolutely no replay value.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
People say gunplay has improved since FO3. I don't get this. I can't tell the difference. Because you now have a really shitty mechanic that makes you able to pop out from behind walls?
"We haz ironsights nao! What is this F:NV you are talking about? If it's not made by Bethesda it's not a real Fallout lol!"

Better quests? FO3 had two passable not blow your cock off quests - Riley's Rangers and Sydney something. Not seen anything like those, they're badly paced and devoid of character, but atleast there's no downright stupid shit like THOSE or WASTELAND SUPERHEROES
Saying FO3 had better quests doesn't mean FO3 had many good ones, it just shows how uttlery bad FO4 is in that department.
99% of all quest might have just been radiant random ones, if they aren't already, and nothing would have changed. Go there, kill dude, loot stuff, come back.

When I finally buttered up Nick Metaldick to reveal his dark and edgy past to me, I had a real sliver of hope for a moment:

"Help you come in terms with your conflicting memories by wrapping up unfinished busines? Yes, please tell me more, talk is good! Oh great... pick up 8 items across the map, mkay."
*after collecting all that shit we are about to confront zombiewinters*
"Now we are going to witness a heartwarming conversation between Valentine and Winters and-"
*Winters is just a named enemy without dialog and dies after one shot*
Fuck you Bethesda.

Go hire some writers already, having the interns come up with shit in their lunchbreak doesn't cut it.

The Toddler blurting about DLCs said:
blahblahblah
That's even worse than another Operashun Anchorage. More workshop options, and did he really call collecting robot parts "deep"? On top of making "robot expert" useless if you can build one from scratch..
STOP TALKING CRAZY TODD AND TAKE SOME JET! Your brain is getting jittery...

Lemming42

Arcane
As long as we're back on Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4 comparisons again, these images (spoilered for size) should demonstrate the difference in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4's quest design:
Fallout 3 quests:
xieidv1.png

bWkto7C.png

tseFRkA.png

RnlChTb.png

hCnpuPs.png

Fallout 4 quests:
Jt2XYuF.png

CkMIrP6.png

7TfPAsd.png

G4FQnl6.png

0RJ40lX.png

ZvkazKP.png

Please please PLEASE for the love of God don't take this as a defence of Fallout 3's writing.

Also just in case I get accused of cherry-picking, feel free to go to the Fallout wiki and pick a Fo3 and Fo4 quest at total random, which is what I did here. You'll likely see similar results.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom