Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

wow
Although I'm not very fond of 4chan. Have to admit that some posts there, are the most interesting stuff one can ever stumble across.

So we've got Robco Certified, a fighting spectacle mod based off the many Youtube videos pitting X NPC against Y NPC, and an expansion with the biggest add-on landmass they've ever devised. Now does that include all Bethesda titles, thus including Tribunal, Shivering Isles and Dragonborn? Or just their Fallout titles....thus Fallout 3. Not much competition if the latter.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Saw this on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/46gnmp/dice2016_summit_todd_howard/

Watch it live: here. todd has left the stage, there might be a q&a later on.

• Fallout's 4 simplification confirmed to be intentional. Something along the lines of it being too hard other wise (could be misquoting here!). He said it was too overwhelming/ confusing on some areas of the game for some/newer players.

• Insomnia confirmed to be in the new survival mode

• They want to expand and do more (he mentioned the new Montreal studio) and 3 big other projects are currently in the works, details on a later date. Todd didn't answer when asked about fallout 5..

pippin

Gotta say insomnia sounds neat, but Neo Scavenger already had something similar :P

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Insomnia in Fallout 4 = You can't sleep anymore to get the 10% XP Bonus

Wow, such hardcore, many difficult, very extreme.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I prefer to build manned barricades instead anyway

Well they are better since settlers can't die unless you mod away their protected status
Oh I think they can die even in the base game. It's like Skyrim: when they are down, the AI doesn't target them anymore, but they can still die from assploshuns and stray shots (at least player's shots). I may have "accidently" wiped out one of my settlements once because I got a little triggerhappy with my assplosive minigun. And Piper killed one because I stupidly gave her some 'nades to carry. Oh well, you live and learn. Well, I live and they... learned.

Now I am curious if settlers can die as well if they get hit by a missile turret barrage. Need to check that. FOR SCIENCE!

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I prefer to build manned barricades instead anyway

Well they are better since settlers can't die unless you mod away their protected status
Oh I think they can die even in the base game. It's like Skyrim: when they are down, the AI doesn't target them anymore, but they can still die from assploshuns and stray shots (at least player's shots). I may have "accidently" wiped out one of my settlements once because I got a little triggerhappy with my assplosive minigun. And Piper killed one because I stupidly gave her some 'nades to carry. Oh well, you live and learn. Well, I live and they... learned.

Now I am curious if settlers can die as well if they get hit by a missile turret barrage. Need to check that. FOR SCIENCE!
As I understand, it's a combination: they can be injured to a point where they are put in a incapacitated mode, but when that happens only the player character is capable of killing them. Once say a downed settler take a stray grenade to the face from a careless bandit and he just got right back up straight afterwards.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
  • They want to expand and do more (he mentioned the new Montreal studio) and 3 big other projects are currently in the works, details on a later date. Todd didn't answer when asked about fallout 5..
I guess we can write off there ever being an Obsidian-developed Fallout entry again.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It's just from the player or his/her companion then. But it makes sense, otherwise missle turrets would be a bigger danger to their owners than the enemies.

On a different note: Bethesda missed a perfect opportunity for moah immershun at Univershitty Point. To sum it up,
a teenage girl in that settlement read about a new efficient energy project and asked a wandering trader what it would be worth in Diamond Shity. Since all traders are Institute snitches, they ratted her out and the cereal guy put a gun at their head. demanding to hand the energy source over or he kills them all. The girl didn't even have it, she just read about it. Settlement wanted to hand the girl over to save their asses, girl tried to find source by herself, institute killed them all. When you arrive, only bones and toasters remain. And a perfectly built settlement that would rival DC but you cannot resettle it. Meh
Now imagine they had used corpses instead of skeletons, making it look more recent. THAT would given an awsome "oh crap, I could have prevented it if I had followed the mainquest sooner instead of arranging flowerpots in my settlements" moment.

Then again, Beth probably did it and changed it after test players were afraid they could miss something if they stray away from the mainquest. Choices and consequences are bad!

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
But it makes sense, otherwise missle turrets would be a bigger danger to their owners than the enemies.

They could have just made them immune to friendly fire in the same way enemies seem to be.

Instead we have a situation where placing defenses in logical positions is practically larping.

circ

Arcane
It's just from the player or his/her companion then. But it makes sense, otherwise missle turrets would be a bigger danger to their owners than the enemies.

On a different not: Bethesda missed an perfect opportunity for moah immershun at Univershitty Point. To sum it up,
a teenage girl in that settlement read about a new efficient energy project and asked a wandering trader what it would be worth in Diamond Shity. Since all traders are Institute snitches, they ratted her out and the cereal guy put a gun at their head. demanding to hand the energy source over or he kills them all. The girl didn't even have it, she just read about it. Settlement wanted to hand the girl over to save their asses, girl tried to find source by herself, institute killed them all. When you arrive, only bones and toasters remain. And a perfectly built settlement that would rival DC but you cannot resettle it. Meh
Now imagine they had used corpses instead of skeletons, making it look more recent. THAT would given an awsome "oh crap, I could have prevented it if I had followed the mainquest sooner instead of arranging flowerpots in my settlements" moment.

Then again, Beth probably did it and changed it after test players were afraid they could miss something if they stray away from the mainquest. Choices and consequences are bad!
Yeab. I did a quest there for Railroadans. All I did was shoot synths in the face and then some mirelurks. I think there was a deathclaw too because what is an area without a fucking deathclaw. NOTHING.

This formula extends to almost every area and quest. There's some lore here and there, but all you end up doing is shooting the same shit for the same reasons.

I had to plant a MILA at a ruined skyrail metro train. Cool area I thought. And then I fought a deathclaw on top of a building. Wow so much imagination.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I had to plant a MILA at a ruined skyrail metro train
At least it was a little tricky to get there. I fully expected it to become the new "where in Balmora is Caius Cosades?" on Gamefags. But then again, most of the consoletards probably didn't even bother.

Zerth

Arbiter
It's the guy responsible of Wanderer's Edition/Project Nevada working in an Overhaul for Fallout 4?

circ

Arcane
I hope not. They're both nice ideas mixed with shit ideas - inserted most likely because of filler, and abandoned before bug fixing/final game patch - hey kinda like Bethesda.

I'm already noticing a shitload of patches for mods - mostly because of AWKCR. I suspect Skyrim modding all over again.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess we can write off there ever being an Obsidian-developed Fallout entry again.

Maybe that'd not be such a bad thing anymore. What's the most to expect form pumping a bit air into the ravaged and beaten body of the late prom queen of yesteryear anyway? She'll never be the same again, a bit of makeup and mouthwash won't do anymore. Let it go, no vain hopes or expectations.

Zerginfestor

Learned
The lack of creative creatures really kills it for me as well. Sure, you have Bloodbugs, Stingwings, Mirelurk Hunters, Mirelurk Queens, and Mutant hounds, but they don't really give a feel of uniqueness, ya know what I mean? Like they're just copy-pasted of something else, but just made bigger/uglier (Mutant hounds=Hounds with moar HP and damage, Bloodbugs the new cazador), not only that, but they're harder to find than even a fucking Deathclaw. Really?

I always thought a swamp region could use an alpha predator that would make even Deathclaws avoid the region, like massive, mutated toads the size of large boulders, with the mold and rocky look upon them giving them a disguise in ambushing players and snapping them up. Or a Bullfrog. hell, Giant mutated spiders would be a nice addition.

Zerth

Arbiter
The lack of creative creatures really kills it for me as well. Sure, you have Bloodbugs, Stingwings, Mirelurk Hunters, Mirelurk Queens, and Mutant hounds, but they don't really give a feel of uniqueness, ya know what I mean? Like they're just copy-pasted of something else, but just made bigger/uglier (Mutant hounds=Hounds with moar HP and damage, Bloodbugs the new cazador), not only that, but they're harder to find than even a fucking Deathclaw. Really?

I always thought a swamp region could use an alpha predator that would make even Deathclaws avoid the region, like massive, mutated toads the size of large boulders, with the mold and rocky look upon them giving them a disguise in ambushing players and snapping them up. Or a Bullfrog. hell, Giant mutated spiders would be a nice addition.

Rampant Voracious gargantuan bullfrogs in the swamp region. That makes more sense than the presence of SuperMutants in commonwealth
Also would fit well in one of those bizarre Monster mod packs. Therefore is doable

circ

Arcane
Fuck frogs. Giant leeches in camo that spit acid, incapacitating you because that's what Bethesda would do.

Anyway, I hope the most likely upcoming new FO4 Monster Mod learns what the word restraint means. But who am I kidding, there are going to be 20 versions of bulletsponge mutants and a bunch of creatures that make no fucking sense.

Zerth

Arbiter
Fuck frogs. Giant leeches in camo that spit acid, incapacitating you because that's what Bethesda would do.

Anyway, I hope the most likely upcoming new FO4 Monster Mod learns what the word restraint means. But who am I kidding, there are going to be 20 versions of bulletsponge mutants and a bunch of creatures that make no fucking sense.

heh There is a lot of creative potential within Swamp critters and radioactive mutations. One can come up with really frightening Guillermo del Toro-like ideas.

Yup, lots of Cringeworthy palletteswapped monsters. But that can be solved by removing them manually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom