Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

This is kind of their entire development cycle in a nutshell isn't it?
They play around and brainstorm some AWESOME features, then build a shitty game with AWESOME scenarios to make use of these AWESOME features, with no thought given to the cohesive whole.

Yup~

There's an interview where Todd admits that their late inclusion of companions in Fallout 3 utterly destroyed the logic of the base game's 'epic' choice. There were three different companions (Ghoul, Super Mutant and Mister Gutsy) who could have waltzed into the rad chamber and done the job with no drama whatsoever. His defense?

"At least they were cool, right?!"

pippin

Not only that, don't you get BoS buddies who have power armor, which apparently is highly resistant to radiation?
Besides their pathfinding was shit.
However, I must concede one point: with the exception of the dog, when they died, they died for real, without the need of "hardcore" modes.

Cerulean

Cipher
As long as we're back on Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4 comparisons again, these images (spoilered for size) should demonstrate the difference in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4's quest design...

Seeing it laid out that it truly was that ridiculously linear is just... :negative:

Dustin542

Liturgist
This is kind of their entire development cycle in a nutshell isn't it?
They play around and brainstorm some AWESOME features, then build a shitty game with AWESOME scenarios to make use of these AWESOME features, with no thought given to the cohesive whole.

Yup~

There's an interview where Todd admits that their late inclusion of companions in Fallout 3 utterly destroyed the logic of the base game's 'epic' choice. There were three different companions (Ghoul, Super Mutant and Mister Gutsy) who could have waltzed into the rad chamber and done the job with no drama whatsoever. His defense?

"At least they were cool, right?!"
You also had a slave (Clover) you could make go in there.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
no one else has found this yet but this is the wip in-game overview of what survival mode is:

Is the struggle of this world merely a pleasant game for you? Do you long for a more brutal take on a life lived post apocalypse?

If you answered "Yes and yes!", then Survival difficulty is for you!

Survival upends many of the rules of life in the Commonwealth for maximum challenge. For a full list of these changes, see below.

To enable Survival, press [Pause], select "Settings," then "Gameplay" and choose "Survival" from the "Difficulty" options.

Saving
Manual and quicksaving are disabled. To save your game, you'll need to find a bed and sleep for at least an hour.

Combat
Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with "Adrenaline" (see below).

Fast Travel
Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to be somewhere, you'll have to physically travel there.

Weighted Ammo
Bullets and shells now all have a small amount of weight, which varies by caliber. Heavier items such as fusion cores, rockets, and mini-nukes can really drag you down.

Compass
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as enemies will no longer appear on your compass. As well, the distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened.

Adrenaline
Survival automatically grants the Adrenaline perk, which provides a bonus to your damage output. Unlike other perks, the only way to increase your rank of the Adrenaline perk is by getting kills (hostile or otherwise). The higher your Adrenaline rank, the higher the damage bonus. Sleeping for more than an hour, however, will cause your Adrenaline rank to lower. You can check your current Adrenaline rank at any time in the Perks section on the Stat tab in your Pip-Boy.

Wellness
You'll find it difficult to survive without taking proper care of yourself. You must stay hydrated, fed, and rested to remain combat-ready. Going for extended periods of time without food, water, or sleep will begin to adversely affect your health, hurting your SPECIAL stats, adding to your Fatigue (see "Fatigue" below), lowering your immunity (see "Sickness" below), and eventually even dealing physical damage to you.

Fatigue
Fatigue works like radiation but affects your Action Points (AP) rather than your Hit Points (HP). The more Fatigue you've built up, the less AP you'll have for other actions. The amount of Fatigue you've accumulated is displayed in red on your AP bar.

Sickness
A comprised immune system and a few questionable decisions can end up getting you killed. Eating uncooked meat, drinking unpurified water, taking damage from disease-ridden sources, such as ghouls and bugs, or using harmful Chems all put your body at increased risk for various ill effects. When you are afflicted with an illness, a message will appear onscreen. You can view specifics about your current illnesses by navigating to the Status section on your Pip-Boy's Data tab and pressing [RShoulder] to view your active effects.

Antibiotics
Antibiotics, which can be crafted at Chem Stations or purchased from doctors, heal the various effects of sickness.

Bed Types
The type of bed you're sleeping in determines the length of time you are able to stay asleep. A sleeping bag will save your game and may help save your life when you're desperate, but it will never allow for a full night's rest and the benefits that come with it.

Crippled Limbs
Crippled limbs will no longer auto-heal after combat and will remain crippled until healed by a Stimpak.

Carry Weight
Exceeding your carry weight reduces your Endurance and Agility stats and periodically damages your legs and health. Think of your back!

Companions
Companions will no longer automatically get back up if downed during combat and will return home if abandoned without being healed.

Enemy and Loot Repopulation
Locations you've cleared will now repopulate enemies and loot at a significantly slower rate.

(found in game files)

Tom Petty

Literate
no one else has found this yet but this is the wip in-game overview of what survival mode is:

I hate to say it but all that stuff sounds pretty alright. To be honest this is unprecedented for Bethesda.

Sickness from raw meat? Quality of rest depending on your bed? Overburdening can cripple? This is a step up from hardcore in NV (which was kind of easy TBH) and a level of challenge that doesn't fit into their targeted demographic. Are they perhaps testing whether the CoD kids like trials and tribulations in their hiking simulator? Why else would they go above and beyond by making so many things as deadly and hindering as possible? From the descriptions, it seems like this mode/difficulty will be a tedious challenge the like of which haven't been seen in AAA gaming in a very long time. It almost seems like overcompensation for all the complaints of the game being too easy by level 20~ or so.

Perhaps they are trying to push the game into survival sim territory in order to counter the lack of story and consequences that one should expect from a main series Fallout title. It's a brilliant maneuver if that is the case - surely, they have seen enough of their blind supporters' disappointment at the lack of C&C in the base game. By putting focus on the day to day survival aspect instead of overarching theme, they are in discounting all of the criticism that has been pushed their way since launch, effectively propagating the idea that this entry to the series is about survival over any story considerations.

That is the only explanation I can think of by them trying to make Survival so brutal. While cool, this move seems to be a deflection of criticism by doubling down on what they really wanted this entry to be experienced as.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Nah, tedious is the word that comes to mind. As if introducing a whole bunch of survival hiking sim mechanics makes the actual hiking part more enjoyable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adrenaline seems pretty cool, an incentive not to retreat to a bed after every fight.

Tom Petty

Literate
Adrenaline seems pretty cool, an incentive not to retreat to a bed after every fight.

They really did think of all angles when considering the flow of gameplay. As you point out, a system that seems superfluous at first is actually there to prevent exploitative playstyles. It makes one wonder what they could do in the realm of C&C if they honestly tried and made that their goal; the outline of their current goal of hardcore survival sim is actually well thought out/balanced from the first looks of it. Seeing this level of competency from Beth is like a slap in the face after the dismal failure of F4 to deliver on anything expected of a series entry. Where the fuck has their effort been going to in the meantime?

Ash_Firelord

Educated
I was pretty bored with it after a couple of days of extended play, not sure if this will make it any better or not. Got the nagging feeling that it will make it even more important to pick up every bit of junk you can, while making it more inconvenient at the same time.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The survival mode doesn't look that bad in theory, but I fear it will just lead to moah powah amoah use to avoid getting sniped by some nameless gunner on a highway.
Beds are common enough to allow saving every 15 mins or so, plus being forced to walk lets you actually see random encounters for a change, instead of just savescum fast travel to the ass fushun containment shit and farm them.

Crippled limbs healing automatically was a retarded consoletard decision to begin with, I maybe used 5 stimpacks in total so far, since food items give other boni and limb healing is not needed.

Could be good. Good enough to warrant a new playthrough? Unlikely. Maybe in a year.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Hm, i'm positively surprised.
Would have expected something a lot more retarded.

The only problem i see is the gathering of materials. If Bullets start to weight something, the amount of shit you can carry around really gets pretty small (and i'm already at 16 Strength).
Might make it interesting, might make basebuilding (or rather, the ressourcecollecting part) tiresome. We'll see.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
But it makes scavenging benches more useful. Right now they're pointless since you bring in scrap by the truckload. If you can't fasttravel, all those useless bums can actually do something productive for the food they remove from inventory. And provisioners become more than just a "I can't be arsed to write down what I need and fasttravel there" crutch.

I wonder how base defenses will work out tho. Unless they change it so that the battles are auto calculated even if you are not present, it's going to be a huge pain. Imagine being in Quincy and having to run all the way back up to Sucktuary Hills. Maybe even taking a nap a few times to save.

"We just have to hold out another 6 hours until the blue guy arrives. Only he knows how to switch on our 10 turrets!" :retarded:

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not playing FO4, but the new Survival difficulty sounds great. The Adrenaline mechanic sounds especially interesting. Designated save points and no fast travel are cool, but since the game wasn't designed with them in mind I can imagine them being an incredible tedium at times.

Now Obsidian have a detailed hardcore mode already laid out for them to use in New New Orleans! And maybe Bethesda will implement a similar mode in the next TES? Implementing all of it is unlikely, as "survival" doesn't fit a pre-apocalyptic fantasy land. But maybe they could limit saves, remove fast-travel and add weight to arrows - and design the game around those settings?!

:negative:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Now Obsidian have a detailed hardcore mode already laid out for them to use in New New Orleans! And maybe Bethesda will implement a similar mode in the next TES? Implementing all of it is likely, as "survival" doesn't fit a pre-apocalyptic fantasy land. But maybe they could limit saves, remove fast-travel and add weight to arrows - and design the game around those settings?!

What's the point, the world will still be filled with shallow fucks, boring caves and shitty trashmobs.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
But it makes scavenging benches more useful. Right now they're pointless since you bring in scrap by the truckload. If you can't fasttravel, all those useless bums can actually do something productive for the food they annihilate. And provisioners become more than just a "I can't be arsed to write down what I need and fasttravel there" crutch.

I wonder how base defenses will work out tho. Unless they change it so that the battles are auto calculated even if you are not present, it's going to be a huge pain. Imagine being in Quincy and having to run all the way back up to Sucktuary Hills. Maybe even taking a nap a few times to save.

"We just have to hold out another 6 hours until the blue guy arrives. Only he knows how to switch on our 10 turrets!" :retarded:

Striclty speaking about mechanics, i don't think they would have to change anything.
Fast travel already progresses the time by quite a lot, you probably already have a high chance of going where you need to be by foot in time.

Speaking of ressources:
Seems like scraper would be a lot more usefull. Don't go out hunting for ressources, let them be delivered to your home via Raider Express.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with "Adrenaline".

How will that work with all the +20% damage perks?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Probably similar to the extra defense legendary armor mod: up to 30% or so extra dakka on top depending on your adrenaline bar. Unless they also beef up enemy's hps, everything still dies after one shot from a 2shot hunting rifle anyway. As usual all those survival things will become less of an issue once you hit level 30 or so. We'll see.

Striclty speaking about mechanics, i don't think they would have to change anything.
Fast travel already progresses the time by quite a lot, you probably already have a high chance of going where you need to be by foot in time.
I think an active settlement defense has a real time timer until it fails. That timer is of course not an issue if you can just fast travel there, but I had situations where a defense got triggered when I entered a large building and it failed after I exited and walked around a little. Well, nothing a timer extension wouldn't fix, but certainly annoying if you try to take a route you haven't used yet or that has already respawned. And I fear sprinting increases exhaustion, so you will arrive with your pants down.
Actually a good thing come to think about it.

orcinator

Liturgist
Limited saving in a game where you can get killed by a physics glitch is dumb.

Also as stated earlier, the game isn't designed around survival mechanics so after a few hours you'll be swimming in everything you need and the only lasting effects will involve having to do a lot of traveling to drop off crap and get more purified water bottles.

Also with no fast travel, how is the institute teleporter going to work?

orcinator

Liturgist
Oh yeah, they didn't mention if they'd make the settlers nonprotected so you can still defeat any attack by hiding in a corner and waiting for the enemy to be overwhelmed by the undying bums.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I limited all my settlers pool cues for a reason. An angry mob of wasteland potatofarmers will kill everything. Until someone mods me pitchforks of course.
:mob:

I assume they will make porting in and out of the 'stute require you to be at the CIT ruins.

typical user

Arbiter
Game-saving through sleeping? That could be fine if we were not talking about fucking Bethesda and their crappy Gamebryo engine. I remember Fallout 3 crashing every 5 minutes. What if the game crashes after 4 hours of constant play? Otherwise it is all good. It's like Bronzeman mode, where you can save but only under special conditions. Sleep spamming will be fixed with mods that edit hunger/thrist/sleep rates and fatigue.

No fast traveling? What about Institute teleporter? You teleport to CIT and teleport back wherever you wanted to go. Or BoS vertibirds? No fast-traveling would work in Skyrim because you could hire carriage in major cities and those were pretty much in every part of the map. Fallout 4 is broken in that regard. Even Morrowind had fast travel under fancy teleportation spells and stuff. Expect people to rush story to the point of Brotherhood arrival then overstocking Vertibird flares.

Adrenaline? Why not just limit XP rewards by 75% and increase it by 1% point or more with each minute since last save? You can already have instagibbing build with Coilgun, rifle-man and two-shot legendary mod. This adrenaline mechanic again makes no sense in broken game.

Healing limbs with stimpacks? Why not doctor bags? Why do those cretins in Bethesda ignore New Vegas with every fucking fix for their problems? Stimpacks are in large quantity in every Fallout. Add weight, make them regenerate small amount of HP and have doctor bags require 5 stims or more to craft.

Diseases? Go to doctor in Dankmod Shitty and ask him to put his empty syringe to your body. Problem solved. It is surprising anyone can heal your addictions without fucking Auto-Docs. Otherwise I wouldn't mind if they included that machine behind those folks.

This game is broken. I will repeat it, broken. No matter how they try to fix it. It is BROKEN beyond repairing. Broken perks, dialogues, AI, nonsense world, factions, quest rewards. They might as well try to turn bike into submarine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom