Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I've noticed the textures in Uncharted 4 also don't have full parallax mapping, in fact I'm not sure if many games have it nowadays.

Regardless, Bethesda still have the effect in certain areas as seen here:
maxresdefault.jpg

Out of curiosity though, why do you think the lighting engine is shitty? What's missing from it? It's completely tiled so they've optimized it to handle a lot of lights at once and it even has very modern features such as subsurface light scattering on skin.

circ

Arcane
I don't know about the internals, but visually it's always too bright and fog encompasses all interior spaces and reflects light badly, making it even brighter - just look at the above. Plus there's Beth's habit of using fake lights in cells.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Why the fuck is that room so bright? There's hardly any light source in there besides the fucking candles, and from what I recall in past experiences, candles don't give off a ton of light. I feel like they made this cell in the Maya program, placed several light sources outside of the ceiling, and then said "Fuck it, this will do".

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The problem I have with Bethesda's lighting is the interiors. I've found out that this is related to a light called a 'skylight' in some cases, after having worked with unreal engine 4 a bit. The interior objects don't properly cast shadows on the floor and other areas so everything always looks artificially lit. This is much more apparent in the 'exterior' interior areas (like a ruined building that you can enter w/out area transition.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The problem I have with Bethesda's lighting is the interiors. I've found out that this is related to a light called a 'skylight' in some cases, after having worked with unreal engine 4 a bit. The interior objects don't properly cast shadows on the floor and other areas so everything always looks artificially lit. This is much more apparent in the 'exterior' interior areas (like a ruined building that you can enter w/out area transition.

Yeah, Creation doesn't have that style of Directional Light, but the effect can be faked and they do fake it in some scenarios. It's just that shadow casting lights are always super expensive and the first to go during optimization.

Regardless, Bethesda still have the effect in certain areas as seen here:
maxresdefault.jpg

Out of curiosity though, why do you think the lighting engine is shitty?

This very picture is a good example of a problem. I see some candles here or there, a couple lanterns and I think there's a rectangular portable light in the HQ. That room should be dark as an old basement with little islands of light. If you want to make it just enough to navigate, fine...but it could be a location where that seldom used light on your wrist comes in handy. Make it easier to notice details, etc.

Instead:

resized_ScreenShot607.jpg

It's an issue I've had with every game since Oblivion. That's why two of the first five mods I always install for New Vegas are Fellout and Electro-City.

Last edited:

Mrfactty

Educated
Weird, why did Skyrim get those boosts? I imagine the first few are DLC-related, are the later ones major mods or something?

OTOH it looks like nothing drew people back to FO4.
The mod Enderal for skyrim was released last month:
https://youtu.be/6hrmSD6DZt4

Really good animation mods have been released:
https://youtu.be/nICd31PDul8

https://youtu.be/8dg12Oq6-E4

And a very advanced animation framework has been released for modders to make more complex animations and good UI:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76744/?

The author first made this mod for a interactive sex mod with really good animations and UI:
https://youtu.be/gNkpRxCOuZA

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
New Beta update released (1.7)

NEW FEATURES
  • Support for upcoming DLC, Nuka-World
  • New store art type for Workshop settlements
  • Ability to delete Add Ons without doing a full uninstall (PS4)
FIXES

• General optimization and stability improvements
  • Jun and Marcy Long are no longer essential after completing "Sanctuary"
  • Vendors can offer large shipments of Ceramic, Copper, Rubber, Steel and Wood
  • Improvements to accuracy and control with picking up and placing objects (not Workshop mode)
  • Grenades and molotov cocktails can now be used with the Junk Mortar (Contraptions)
  • Fixed issue with companions unequipping clothing when fast traveling with player
  • Fixed an issue with player animations not loading properly after reloading a saved game
  • Fixed issue where certain dog armors would not equip properly on Dogmeat
  • Fixed an issue where objects from Add Ons would not scrap correctly or would not be stored properly
  • Fixed infinite load that would occasionally occur while logging off while downloading a mod
  • Fixed a crash related to investing in a store while trading
  • Fixed issue where "Quartermastery" would send player to erroneous locations
  • Fixed performance issues related to dropping certain weapons
  • Fixed issue where melee weapon would not properly after dying and reloading the save
  • Fixed a rare issue where Sturges and Mama Murphy would stop moving
  • Fixed snapping issue with Surgery Center in Workshop mode
MODS FIXES
  • Increased the number of Mods that can be paged through Mods browsing menu
  • Fixed issue where Mods images would stop displayed while scrolling through Mods menu
  • Disable All Mods now works properly when offline
  • NPCs that are changed in a Mod will update changes like hairstyles properly
  • Fixed animation error related to NPCs changed in Mods who have died, and reloading the save without the Mod activated
  • Fixed issue where sneaking would turn player invisible while running with Mods
  • Master files no longer automatically sort above plugins in Load Order menu
  • Localization strings moved to Interface archive
  • Minor UI improvements to Mods menu and Mods Detail menus

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bethesda games may be shit on technical aspects, they might look fugly with tons of bugs, but they are still more fun than shit games like twitcher 3 or biowhore games, and that says a lot about the other games.

Beastro

Arcane
Bethesda games may be shit on technical aspects, they might look fugly with tons of bugs, but they are still more fun than shit games like twitcher 3 or biowhore games, and that says a lot about the other games.

Like food, not all games are the same and enjoyed in the same way. Bethesda is pure fast food and too much of it. Actually the way they're going is more like candy, more and more sugar that makes you suddenly realize that fact and realize how sickening it is to eat that shit. They aren't making anything better, using flavours and shit in different ways, just more sugar to fill that need and FO4 is making a lot of people wish they'd done more than something like that in a gameplay sense, even those not all that interested in RPGs.

Games like that are fine, but like Howard Hughes eating nothing but cake, you should be playing something more than simple, brainless shit like this all the time.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Far Harbour is the most complex DLC that BethSoft has developed to date for whatever that is worth, with multiple faction questline outcomes and conditions based upon what point of the main plot one is at and which main game factions that one has sided with. There is even a bit in there that tracks whether or not one purchased a joke item from a random encounter NPC in the main game. Nuka Wolrd looks set up to do something similar in scope but with raider tribes in a massive themepark setting.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Has anyone actually tried the Vault DLC to the fullest capabilities, yet? I just can't see the point of it, honestly, especially when the ghoul cunt looks squarely at my face and speaks with a straight face that we should do experiments 'for the greater good'. Also, has anyone managed to do a Minutemen ending on Survival Mode? All that backtracking and shit just to get resources to make those settlements must be a fucking nightmare. Survival mode seems like it only presents you 3 options for story-telling, which two of the options are terrible, unless you want to be a masochistic fuck.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Has anyone actually tried the Vault DLC to the fullest capabilities, yet? I just can't see the point of it, honestly, especially when the ghoul cunt looks squarely at my face and speaks with a straight face that we should do experiments 'for the greater good'.
Heh, "fullest capabilities" he said... The whole "quest" is just a short tacked on gimmick so it doesn't look like an overpriced equipment pack.
It doesn't really matter how you do those experiments, it only changes the handful of lines said by Clem (the volunteer settler) and the female settler while using them. In the end you get an object that buffs one SPESHUL stat when used (only one at a time) and a vaultsuit that lowers dmg done by ghouls by 15%.
Well, the settlers may die from cardiac arrest or other sources when you do it mad scientist style. After giggling for 10 seconds you reload and do it the normal way to continue.

I did the experiments in a nice, un-vaulttec way, prompting the overseer to be mad at me. Then she gave me the suit anyway and just sat in a chair forever. Choices and consequences bitches! :hahano:

If you don't care about minecrafting your own vault (have fun getting the resources without cheating), the whole questline takes 30-60 mins.
Including some gangRAEP by packs of albino rapescorpions while in buildmode if your level is high enough. :salute:

Also Brotip: you don't need powerlines in the vault, just place a vault outlet on any built wall. The game either doesn't tell you that, or it was the usual short tooltip while you are busy figuring out something else. :argh:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Ok, I will admit that this is kinda impressive for Bethesda, if you don't meet Codsworth until after the game is over and you killed the Institute you get a different conversation:

typical user

Arbiter
Impressive? More like questionable on borderline stupid because why would you not follow quest markers and run in entirely different direction? You can get more of these dialogues if you get to Concord or if kill Kellogg or at any other important moment in the story but again - why? I remember this 2 hour long video why Fallout 3 is trash and how you can use your character's skills to skip content to have more fun not doing boring tasks and I guess it is true for Fallout 4 too. You get these unique dialogues if you decide to skip entire tutorial section of the game and go to Diamond City or Vault 114 but how first-timer would know where he needs to go and how much content he can skip? And why would he do that, refuse to gain XP and other rewards?

Last edited:

Zerginfestor

Learned
Impressive? More like questionable on borderline stupid because why would you not follow quest markers and run in entirely different direction? You can get more of these dialogues if you get to Concord or if kill Kellogg or at any other important moment in the story but again - why? I remember this 2 hour long video why Fallout 3 is trash and how you can use your character's skills to skip content to have more fun not doing boring tasks and I guess it is true for Fallout 4 too. You get these unique dialogues if you decide to skip entire tutorial section of the game and go to Diamond City or Vault 114 but how first-timer would know where he needs to go and how much content he can skip? And why would he do that, refuse to gain XP and other rewards?

Exactly. This feels pretty idiotic honestly, and the 'unique' dialogue you get is pitiful compared to what you get from the beginning. That's pretty bad, honestly. Bethesda really fucked up with choosing an emotional tie-in for the character rather than an epic one like in NV.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Far Harbour is the most complex DLC that BethSoft has developed to date for whatever that is worth, with multiple faction questline outcomes and conditions based upon what point of the main plot one is at and which main game factions that one has sided with. There is even a bit in there that tracks whether or not one purchased a joke item from a random encounter NPC in the main game. Nuka Wolrd looks set up to do something similar in scope but with raider tribes in a massive themepark setting.

Far Harbour might be the biggest DLC Bethesda produced, but its not really great.
Its better than the base game, but thats about it and really not THAT much of an acchievement..

Bloodmoon was better anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom