Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Daedalos, Nov 10, 2015.

1. roll-a-die Magister

roll-a-die
    The core gameplay loop is designed to be addictive to the same people who zone out to questing in MMO's or ARPGs. It's literally the same gameplay loop. You go out, you grab a quest, you go to a dungeon, you do the dungeon, you loot the dungeon, you go home, you manage your inventory, you check on various timed activities(Like the settlements.) You go out, you grab a quest. Ad infinitum.

People play it because it's mindless. People play it because they can turn their brain off to play it. People play it because they are sheep, and easily led by a shepherd of bright lights, dinging sounds and habit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    I play it because it is roguelike in 3D.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TC Jr Learned

TC Jr
    Actually bought this pos at launch when I still had a PS4, was high at the time and actually had a little bit of fun with headphones on playing the classical station just fucking about with the shotgun. Couldn't imagine playing it sober

^ Top  
  4. Old Hans Cipher

Old Hans
    this is what I did my last game. I just ignored the story and kept doing those radiant quests from the brotherhood at the police station until I died.

^ Top  
  5. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Well, I didn't mean that "1 life" part.

^ Top  
  6. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    But... that's part of a roguelike...

^ Top  
  7. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Not always, and not the only part.
    In rest it is quite similiar to Cataclysm for example, in gameplay I mean.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Folk signer Dion DiMucci pulls a Steve Jackson to Zenimax: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lawsuit-from-singer-dion-over-fallout-4-promo

• Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Old x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Codexlurker Savant

Codexlurker
    *Shrugs*. Dude should be suing for having his music in such a mediocre game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    I hated that song, thought they must have written it recently just for bethestard's fallout. Cringy as fuck when put together with "wanderer" of bethesda.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    ^ Top  
  11. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    ^ Top  
  12. Mastermind Cognito Elite Material Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    he's a pussy ass faggot. i hope bethesda's lawyers bury him

• butthurt butthurt x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Todd_the_Liar Novice

Todd_the_Liar
    Too bad Dion DiMucci didn't click on the EULA before he sang that song:

According to the FO4 and Skyrim SE EULA:
    (a) All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by LICENSOR and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby transfer, assign and convey to LICENSOR all right, title and interest in and to the Customized Game Materials and LICENSOR and its permitted licensors may use any Customized Game Materials made publicly available to you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to for purposes of advertising and promoting the Software;

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Old One Arcane

Old One
    I hope this lawsuit leads to the utter demise of Bethesda so they cease to exist.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    And decent rebalance mods for this yet? From ones I've found at a glance, none use DT or emphasis on bleeding, everyone's idea of 'difficulty' is dying in one hit, spending half the play time staring at the loading screen and the other half larping their toon's "needs".

^ Top  
  16. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I actually enjoyed the 1 hit mods, I mean, it's not 1 hit, but damage is multiplied 2-3x, meaning you have a lot less breathing room in a battle, but it's not bad.

^ Top  
  17. circ Arcane

circ
    Give it up give it up give it up give it up give it up.

There's nothing to salvage here. There was nothing to salvage in FO3 - well other than combining it with the atleast more life-like FONV through TOTW.

FO4 is not even 2 years old and it has already reached the waifu phase of modding - where the vast majority of mods seem to be character cosmetic mods/dolled up followers. By comparison, Oblivion didn't enter that phase until sometime around the release of Skyrim - 5 years later? And there are still surges of landscape and UI mods from time to time.

Skyrim, 6 years later, not counting SE, is still not fully in the waifu phase.

Mods like Sim Settlements are good - but the settlers still use the Bethesda AI™. No mod has fixed survival mode; they've made some annoyances less apparent, but it needs a complete overhaul - NV survival wasn't that bad, and it was really simple. Bethesda weren't happy with it apparently and made additions, but hit their head on some doors repeatedly in the process.

Exteriors aren't interesting, partly because of the extremely boring encounters and again AI. Interiors use the same few templates and the only purpose of interiors is to gather more junk for the horrible settlement mode.

Story is shit. Mechanics are shit. Companions, though some start out better than others, ultimately become stuck records you want to turn into bullet pincushions - some quicker than others.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    It's fine when you're shot in the head while wearing no helmet. But apart from that, bleeding makes more sense as the #1 reason to die - which also makes for better gameplay, where you still can't be a bullet sponge, but don't constantly reload for no good reason either. 1-hit-kill gameplay only encourages stealth archery as the sensible option, which I've never found fun and feels more like cheating, given Bethesda's AI.

That bad, huh. Oh well.

^ Top  
  19. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Jesus I'd forgot this peice of shit existed.

Running around The Witcher 3's vast, tiresome, empty, pointless, repetitive, and frankly awful open world bored the shit out of me.......but at least the odd quest was decent, with some actually very interesting. However, FO4..........ye gads. One of the most empty & soulless games I've ever played, and each quest i played just felt totally shit & work-like.

And why on earth did they introduce that whole fucking Minecraft bollocks? What a total waste of life that was.

As each Underrail play draws me in more & more, lushly enticing & exciting me to return again & again, it's frightening to see how such a big budgeted game like FO4 can be so vastly inferior to something like that.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    I think Survival Mode in the Vanilla is hardcore enough for me. Once I got the radium rifle in an early game Legendary drop that causes 15 points of splash damage and modded it with the vanilla mod options along with maxing out the Rifeman perk, the game became a faceroll. However, with that kind of power comes cockiness. I'm playing the Far Harbor DLC now and it rarely occurred to me that certain enemies ALSO have that Rifleman perk maxed out. So I was cut down 5 times like a mad dog by a Courser with a low-level laser pistol I was hunting. Also got one shotted by a harpoon. Really hated that Cyberspace puzzle in Far Harbor but I'm enjoying it for the most part.

^ Top  
  21. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    My problem is the HP bloat. I don't mind dying easy, but my enemies better not take 16 shots to the face. So the weapon damage mods that up the damage by 2-3 times along with survival mode make the game pretty fun imo

^ Top  
  22. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    I feel it's by far the worst of the Fallout series, but still compelling enough for a playthrough, and maybe even a re-play with some good mods. It lacks the intricacy of the first Fallout, the fun of FO3 and that sense of wonder that was New Vegas, but I give Bethesda kudos for trying a few different mechanics, like the settlements feature, though it was implemented rather poorly. And I like the idea that the modding community literally taught Bethesda how to make a fairly different and interesting game rather than the samo samo we would have gotten had that community not existed.

Tip for newcomers: as is the case for most of these ridiculously huge open world games, I recommend sticking closely to the main quests and DLC and not do too much exploring off the beaten path for a first play-through. It's far too easy to get burnout playing these things.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    In Fallout 4, Hardcore mode is playing it for 2 hours and then not blowing your brains out in RL.

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    I heard the Horizon mod corrects a lot of the irritations of Survival Mode. I mean, why should eating the roasted ass of a Super Mutant Hound cure me of radiation sickness? Shouldn't it make me sicker, causing my colon and bowel to shit myself to death because its DNA has been destroyed from scarfing down tainted radioactive meat? But then again, the mod author for Horizon lists thousands of changes, so it's one of those mods obviously. When in doubt, just lick a vanilla Fallout 4 cone, with maybe an unofficial patch, a music redux mod (even though Old World Radio Boston is vulgar and obviously DJed by retardos) or a good UI interface.

^ Top  
  25. mogwaimon Erudite

mogwaimon
    To be fair, can't you blame the lack of decent mods on a lack of a proper script extender? I think even the barebones beta was released only recently.

Frankly I couldn't stand Fallout 4 for more than like...4-6 hours. It just sucked so damn bad. I'm still holding out hope for the VR version though, FO4 is a pretty terrible game but as a VR experience I feel like it would beat out everything else on the platform
    Show Spoiler
    only because there's no competition

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.