Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Hassknecht

Learned
I'm pretty sure Bethesda took most of their inspiration from the movie Radioactive Dreams and took it as a serious movie.
To be fair, the soundtrack kicked ass.

curry

Arcane
FO4 would have been better with a TWEEST like
you're actually a synth and the real you was killed not your partner, and they were alive taking care of Shaun the entire time.
I suspected that the player is a synth when I played the game and was relieved that wasn't the case because I hate predictable plots. The end game was anticlimatic,especially if you side the Institute, but that's still better than pulling a predictable "twist".

That being said I feel like the game could have been a lot better

Zer0wing

Cipher
Fallout 4/3/NV
NV as an RPG is direct continuation and evolution of Fallout 1 & 2 design principles. Isometric camera or not, it's just an engine. Oh, wait...
fanboy.png
!
Just :dealwithit:, FNV is superior to previous installments and Fo4 where it matters the most, only possibly overshadowed by F:Nevada but it's also debatable.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
This thread is actually longer in pages then minutes I put into this game. I don't even think I got an hour and a half into F4 before requesting a refund lol(which didn't surprise me which is why I only bought it digitally on steam).

Easily one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Fallout 4 is honestly better than Fallout 3, since Beth gave up on makeing mediocre RPGs and simply made an Open World shooter with a fun crafting system.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Fallout 4 is honestly better than Fallout 3, since Beth gave up on makeing mediocre RPGs and simply made an Open World shooter with a fun crafting system.
I argue that even as open world shooter it's still not good.

Gunplay is maybe better than in F3 and FNV, but only slightly. Skills-based accuracy was bad, but skills-based damage have led to annoying bulletsponge-fest in the late game. Nothing makes me wish for a nuclear winter more than a bunch of stupid fucking legendary raiders that keep regenerating my damage because my dps is low because i didn't invest enough in damage perks. Upgrade system is deep as puddle cuz most of upgrades are simply about increasing dps. It also made all guns feel samey and lame.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Gunplay is noticeably better, especially with enemy AI and variety changes. In F3/NV you very rarely meet anything that wasn't melee attacker or hitbox shooter and you even rarely fought combinations of those. Both behaved very predictably. F3 at least had a lot of verticality in some of its areas and FNV only had this in Lonesome Road expansion. F4 has much more varied enemy roster, you have animals who may suddenly attack from underground, ghouls who attack in hordes and pretend dead, androids with exaggerated reactions to body part damage, human enemy groups with all kinds of weapons. As a shooter it's much better. And in F3/FNV RPG system didn't feel like it affects combat that much anyway, it was mostly there to limit the equipment you can use.

Most of Fallout 4 systems are better and more expansive, they've made progression system more straightforward but it's OK for action-RPG. Plus the survival mode made it all matter more. The problem is, of course, with dialogue system even if writing itself is slightly better than in Fallout 3. Plus the switch to survival/crafting focus feels appropriate for the setting and the theme but is relatively frustrating. Playing on Survival with this crafting system is strange. There's a dissonance between various systems. On one hand it feels like a very hardocre experience but on the other it wants to have emergent gameplay and sandbox feel. Some systems - like traps - are completely different. In a usual gameplay traps just mean a quick game reload. On Survival it turns ruin exploration into a very tense experience.

I have a soft spot for Iron Man games - always feels like a right way to play with no save/reload option, makes your choices important. But very few games ever come to properly optimizing game mechanics for this kind of play. Being able to die because of physics engine, random encounters with unimaginable horrors, fuck-you traps and, on the other hand, frivolous tone of social interactions - all of this is self-contradictory. I think Bethesda-style Fallout game would benefit from always being in Iron Man mindset. This gives the game its own identity as opposed to cargo cult attempts at copying classic RPG mechanics without really copying them.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
If I had to rate them all

Fallout NV : 8.5/10
Fallout 3 : 6/10
fallout 4 : 2/10

Fallout 3 is actually my favorite bethesda game which isn't saying much :backawayslowly:

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Fallout 3 is actually my favorite bethesda game which isn't saying much

I applaud your honesty. I tried to brute force through Fallout 3 but uninstalled it after bunker escape. Dialogs are too retarded.

6/10 isn't much, I thought it was playable and managed to beat it considering I expected it to be one of the worst games ever.

I didn't like daggerfall, morrowind or oblivion before it. Aside from an hour on fallout 4 before getting a steam refund I haven't played one of their games since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom