Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

circ

Arcane
Yeah saw that the other day, not really a huge annoyance in the first place. Anything to fix the shit story? Mesh bugs would be noise too.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Nope, as far as I know there have been no major story overhaul mod to fix the storyline itself or the terrible dialogue writing.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
That perk/skill mod is cool. Is there an enhanced camera mod for Fallout 4 like New Vegas has, and Skyrim?

Nevermind, I just realized how slow this thread moves, that my question was asked only a few spaces up. Disregard this post.

Gerrard

Arcane
What the fuck was the point behind Bethesda's redesign of some elements like weapons or the way the vaults look and making it more HURR 50s sci-fi movies? This shit has been bugging me since 3.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What the fuck was the point behind Bethesda's redesign of some elements like weapons or the way the vaults look and making it more HURR 50s sci-fi movies? This shit has been bugging me since 3.

Capting normies. It's more about something aesthetically charming than creating an original product that is charming on its own. So "blend of different sources and inspirations" in Fallout became "retrofuturism" in Fallout 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
That's what bethestards think Fallout is, a running joke about 50s sci-fi. Like FNV: OWB but unironically. Both devs, fanbase, people tagged as Bethestard™ at RPG Codex and Todd Howard personally. If someone believes "Todd dindu nuffin wrong" narrative, that's your chance to reconsider.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
That's what bethestards think Fallout is, a running joke about 50s sci-fi. Like FNV: OWB but unironically. Both devs, fanbase, people tagged as Bethestard™ at RPG Codex and Todd Howard personally. If someone believes "Todd dindu nuffin wrong" narrative, that's your chance to reconsider.

Fallout 2 had plenty of goofiness and retardness -talking deathclaws, brainiac rat, drugs made from manure, and many many more. Fallout 4 isn't any worse in that regards. The problem of F4 is not the gooofiness, since that won't change as it's with fallout series for 20 years, but the bad engine, bad RPG elements, no distinct builds, bad quests.
Fallout 4 is not a challenging RPG with great combat that keeps you on the edge, and makes you think what build you want to do, it's not an RPG with great choices and consequences -it excels as a LARPing simulator, and it's really good at that. You have lot of ambient mods, you can LARP pretty much anything, and if there's no mod for that, thanks to SDK you can relatively easily make your own.

Last edited:

Lurker47

Savant
Sorry if this has been asked before but which was better written; 4 or 3? I'm leaning towards 4 because there was at least an attempt to make some interesting central conflicts but it hurts to say that they improved.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I completed 3 a bajillion years ago and barely remember anything, but Fallout 4 just last year.
I'd say that 4 is sort of better written, but just barely. There's far more interesting factions with more nuanced scales of good and evil compared to Fallout 3, which was Brotherhood of Steel Good Guys and Villain Enclave Bad Guys. Note that I am not saying 4 is really good at all, Elex did factions better and I wouldn't say that game is particularly well written either.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The Brotherhood in FO4 are still the same Good Guys (TM) they were in FO3, regardless of what that little dipshit Elder Maxson tries to feed you. Big speech about getting rid of the old Elders who have betrayed the mission blablabla.. and then they continue to do the same.
"Our mission is to cleanse the commonwealth of ferals and mutants". Same as FO3.
Isolationist? Nope, still taking on wastelander mostly "looking for a handout".
Removing high tech weapons from other people's inventory? Nope, they never clash with the gunners anywhere. Or even raid their strongholds.
At least FO3 had the Outcasts who resembled the original FO1/2 Bros. Point for FO3.

The Institute is supposed the Bad Guys (TM). Boogieman. Snatching people in the night. Mercilessly erasing settlements. Until you meet them and wonder WTF are they even supposed to do there. "Humanity 2.0", "Mankind redefined"? Yeah sure, if the next step in evolution is a human looking personal robot to do all your chores... :hahano:
You know, those "human looking synths" who are full of "sprockets" and strange parts according to the NPCs. Then you watch them getting assembled from prebuilt organs. How does that thing not need food or sleep if it's identical in ev--- "it just works".
200 years of weapon research and all they managed to create is a shittier version of the laser rifle. But hey, it's blue now!

And don't get me started on the Railroad. Most people don't even know what or IF they are going to eat next, let alone survive the day with all those roaming raiders. Someone should help them right? But nope, the Railroad uses its "limited resources" and at least 100 agents to rescue the poor poor synths slaves. Like some rich kids looking for a hobby as long as daddy's CC is still valid. Plus Bethesda's writers apparently have ADHS and don't even know what they wrote at the beginning of the dialog. Glory will tell you "I'm as real a girl as you'll ever meet." and end the conversation with "Synths ain't human!". Wut. Make up your damn mind womyn.
Also no human slaves this time. Huzzah, emancipation! Since that spot was taken by synths, they left that out.

Bethesda... just cannot into writing. Or having things make sense.

:hearnoevil: "IT JUST WORKS!"

Gerrard

Arcane
Bethouts are much worse in that aspect than Fallout 2 ever was. They took shit that was only in random encounter easter eggs and made it into regular things.

Codex Year of the Donut
FO4 would have been better with a TWEEST like
you're actually a synth and the real you was killed not your partner, and they were alive taking care of Shaun the entire time.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Sorry if this has been asked before but which was better written; 4 or 3? I'm leaning towards 4 because there was at least an attempt to make some interesting central conflicts but it hurts to say that they improved.

They are pretty bad at equal level.
Fallout 3 was mostly a copy and paste job of Fallout 1 and 2 and a half assed one at that as designers looked at the visuals, lore, and gameplay but did not bother to learn the mindset that led to these designs, they could not comprehend it, or assumed because they were not interested in it really other than post apocalypse world with mutants and power armor that their audience would feel the same. And they were pretty much right.

With Fallout 4 there may have been an attempt to try to create a conflict of ideologies but it is pretty clear that Emil and the designers never wanted to go to deep into this. Perhaps they feel environmental story telling is superior to any story telling through character interaction or information from sources such as computers and books to make the conflicts more believable.
But what I think it comes down to is that we are dealing with a group of designers who simply are not good writers that are not really interested in world building and the research effort that comes with it.
And why should they? Their superiors couldn't give a damn about the quality of the design document as long as they have a product that sells. They are not even interested in the Fallout universe, so why should their employees?

Arnust

Savant
The thing is that Fallout 3, even if shoddily, relived interest in the franchise, with some surprisingly high amount of respect when you look at it (even if superficially), creates a whole subsection of the universe at their own bubble to work with, got many into RPGs considering the plac in time where it came out and ultimately allowed New Vegas to exist. Fallout 4 has basically no positive merits whatsoever among those lines, and even if the scenario for New Vegas happened to repeat AND turn out well it still wouldn't collect a net positive of reasons to simply exsist.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

you're actually a synth and the real you was killed not your partner, and they were alive taking care of Shaun the entire time.

heh that would be a lot more interesting... But sadly expecting briliant writing from Emil Pagliarulo is like cut a potato and expect it to bleed..

Hassknecht

Learned
Indeed. Fallout 4 had so many possibilities to be good. Or at least decent.
Instead it's quite possibly the laziest game of all time. Every fucking time they apparently had a good idea during development they just went "Eeeeeeh I'm kinda tired though, our cultists will eat it up anyway".

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This must be the NMA gangbang. Reporting for duty so we can rape Mxplsfuckstiks in the corner again.

Hassknecht

Learned
I think he enjoys it.
Anyway, Fallout 4 had some potential. If it had been written and made by competent people and not the laziest arsewipes this side of Lazyarsewipeistan.
The whole "Is the player a synth" thing they did in Fart Harbour could have been massively improved on. Like, have the game decide on start-up randomly wether the player is a synth or not. Have a mysterious figure work against you throughout the main quest. In the end you meet "yourself" and the only way to determine who of you is the synth is by having one of you killed. Bonus mindfuck possibility: Both are synths.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Fallout 4 in general should be more freeform and less dependent on quest markers and storytelling, because this is bethestards' weakest point. But then again, that would undermine Emil's importance, and his feel of unwarranted self-importance can't let it happen.

2house2fly

Magister
Never played a whole lot of Fallout 4, but from what I've seen Fallout 3 has better quest design overall and they're about equal in writing otherwise. If you were specifically looking for role playing and only had those two games to choose from, 3 would be the best bet.

catch up dude, you're old! it's called "incompetence".

4 vs 3? it's like watching a fistfight between two blind men with cerebral palsy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom