Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
So... it's been eons since I stopped playing this shit, but I'm kind of bored and would like to give it another shot.

Questions:
- are there any mods that are currently recommended that make this game a tiny bit better?
- how are the DLCs? Are they worth it? Are they in any way interesting story wise? Do they introduce better dialogs, with more consequences? Do they add new locations and/or NPCs?
- does this game, while still being bad, have any interesting quests or locations or whatever that do seem to have at least a little bit of goodness?

Sorry, I couldn't read the few hundred pages since I last posted here ;)
I mean you could try literally reading the page you posted this comment on, where I've written a detailed writeup of the decent mods/modlists available for FO4

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
the settlement stuff, that stuff is required on Horizon

I played it and I didn't bother myself with settlement bullshit.

That's the only part of the game that kept me from uninstalling (for a while). Any time some character would start making sounds with their mouth it made me just wanna run off and gather enough scrap to build another water purifier or generator. Hell, they should have just thrown out all the weak story/quest stuff and called it 'Fallout Settlement Simulator.' Actually, I guess they did. They called it Fallout Shelter and made it a mobile game.

There is a new player guide (and wiki) for Horizon here: https://fo4horizon.gamepedia.com/New_player_guide

Water
Main articles: Survival, Purified water

Unlike vanilla Fallout 4, just placing water pumps in a settlement won't cause settlers to produce Purified Water. To get Purified Water, you need 20 water ratings by building regular water resources, and a water purification unit, which can be found under architect -> production. To build water purification unit, you will need water purification module, which can be crafted in Tech lab, or sometimes general goods vendors in DC or GN will sell it. Lastly, craft Maintenance Kits and add them to Resource station.

Once you've built one or more Water producing buildings, you'll need to build the Resource Management table to run them. The recipe for the Resource Management table requires a Cargo Bot. To build one, you'll need to use the Tech Lab, and you'll either need rank 1 of the Robotics Expert perk to build it yourself, or you'll need to use the more expensive contracted work option.

Once you have a Resource Management table in place, you'll need to supply it with Maintenance Kits for the water purification to run. One Maintenance Kit will allow you to produce one bottle of Purified Water over the course of one day. So obviously you'll need lots of Maintenance Kits, which means you'll need lots of Tool Kits, so you should always collect any tools you find during your travels.

Note: There's a limit of how much purified water you can produce each day. It's equal to 4 + successful settlements.

Jesus, all that effort for one miserable bottle. That water better taste like gamer girl bathwater.

Perkel

Arcane
Horizon also is garbage since it doesn't fix main fallout 3 problem retarded world and story. Speaking of mods that actually do fix it.

FROST by same dude who made DUST for FNV

It is total overhaul mod that removes completely fallout 4 story, npcs and pretty much edits most of the world to contain less stupid and transforms Fallout 4 into rogue like Stalker game with barely any friendly NPCs in it and world that wants you killed very fast.

Features:
- setting: Fallout world early after bombs fell before F1
- vanilla story, npcs are gone and most of levels are edited in smaller or greater way
- commonwealth is now radioactive winter desert
- several factions army remnants, metro aliance, maidenhood, hunters, survivors etc
- combat is overhauled as well as skill system and perks, perks are oriented more on survival aspects that damage, so if you want to make some extra types of traps better make sure you take perk etc.
- combat is lethal and based around real life scenario. So trying to kill someone will rusty pipe is that much harder than killing someone with a gun but you need ammo for guns...
- new maps added to game (subway system)
- almost all loot is gone, only scraps remain, you can't grow food (winter duh), finding bullets, food or even settlement supplies is hard.

Max Edge

So... it's been eons since I stopped playing this shit, but I'm kind of bored and would like to give it another shot.

Questions:
- are there any mods that are currently recommended that make this game a tiny bit better?
- how are the DLCs? Are they worth it? Are they in any way interesting story wise? Do they introduce better dialogs, with more consequences? Do they add new locations and/or NPCs?
- does this game, while still being bad, have any interesting quests or locations or whatever that do seem to have at least a little bit of goodness?

Sorry, I couldn't read the few hundred pages since I last posted here ;)

1. Graphic mods, for example
2. Worth? No. But if you like base game, but, you know, REALLY like, you can buy them.
3. No.

DeepOcean

Arcane
There is a new player guide (and wiki) for Horizon here: https://fo4horizon.gamepedia.com/New_player_guide

Water

Unlike vanilla Fallout 4, just placing water pumps in a settlement won't cause settlers to produce Purified Water. To get Purified Water, you need 20 water ratings by building regular water resources, and a water purification unit, which can be found under architect -> production. To build water purification unit, you will need water purification module, which can be crafted in Tech lab, or sometimes general goods vendors in DC or GN will sell it. Lastly, craft Maintenance Kits and add them to Resource station.

Once you've built one or more Water producing buildings, you'll need to build the Resource Management table to run them. The recipe for the Resource Management table requires a Cargo Bot. To build one, you'll need to use the Tech Lab, and you'll either need rank 1 of the Robotics Expert perk to build it yourself, or you'll need to use the more expensive contracted work option.

Once you have a Resource Management table in place, you'll need to supply it with Maintenance Kits for the water purification to run. One Maintenance Kit will allow you to produce one bottle of Purified Water over the course of one day. So obviously you'll need lots of Maintenance Kits, which means you'll need lots of Tool Kits, so you should always collect any tools you find during your travels.

Note: There's a limit of how much purified water you can produce each day. It's equal to 4 + successful settlements.

Jesus, all that effort for one miserable bottle. That water better taste like gamer girl bathwater.
And all you needed was a pan, some wood and a fire to get purified water. Those Nexus survival mods are a joke, I don't know why people want to make things ultra annoying for no reward.

Yosharian

Arcane

Water

And all you needed was a pan, some wood and a fire to get purified water. Those Nexus survival mods are a joke, I don't know why people want to make things ultra annoying for no reward.
How do you remove radiation from water using those tools? If you don't like the mod, that's fine, but don't be so retarded.

Yosharian

Arcane
Horizon also is garbage since it doesn't fix main fallout 3 problem retarded world and story. Speaking of mods that actually do fix it.

FROST by same dude who made DUST for FNV

It is total overhaul mod that removes completely fallout 4 story, npcs and pretty much edits most of the world to contain less stupid and transforms Fallout 4 into rogue like Stalker game with barely any friendly NPCs in it and world that wants you killed very fast.

Features:
- setting: Fallout world early after bombs fell before F1
- vanilla story, npcs are gone and most of levels are edited in smaller or greater way
- commonwealth is now radioactive winter desert
- several factions army remnants, metro aliance, maidenhood, hunters, survivors etc
- combat is overhauled as well as skill system and perks, perks are oriented more on survival aspects that damage, so if you want to make some extra types of traps better make sure you take perk etc.
- combat is lethal and based around real life scenario. So trying to kill someone will rusty pipe is that much harder than killing someone with a gun but you need ammo for guns...
- new maps added to game (subway system)
- almost all loot is gone, only scraps remain, you can't grow food (winter duh), finding bullets, food or even settlement supplies is hard.
Yes I agree that Horizon alone doesn't fix FO4's awful story/writing. I've always wanted to try FROST but never got around to it.

Codex Year of the Donut
How do you remove radiation from water using those tools? If you don't like the mod, that's fine, but don't be so retarded.
Good news, you wouldn't even need to remove radiation. Well water from a deep enough well would be completely uncontaminated after a nuclear fallout.
But you don't even need to do that: Sanctuary is perfect for water. They have a stream that runs right next to it. Dig a shallow well about 10 feet away from the bank, the earth would filter the water just fine.

Yosharian

Arcane
Good news, you wouldn't even need to remove radiation. Well water from a deep enough well would be completely uncontaminated after a nuclear fallout.
But you don't even need to do that: Sanctuary is perfect for water. They have a stream that runs right next to it. Dig a shallow well about 10 feet away from the bank, the earth would filter the water just fine.
Alright but I was contending his particular point about using a freaking pan and a wood fire.

Yeah there are a bunch of ways you could do it I guess with deep wells, maybe also catching rainwater, though maybe the rain is irradiated somehow.

Codex Year of the Donut
Alright but I was contending his particular point about using a freaking pan and a wood fire.

Yeah there are a bunch of ways you could do it I guess with deep wells, maybe also catching rainwater, though maybe the rain is irradiated somehow.
Don't drink the rainwater, it's irradiated.
I'd suggest reading Nuclear War Survival Skills(NWSS), it's a public domain book primarily about civil defense research from the US DOE's Oak Ridge laboratory published in the 80s.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, a man made earth filter work too and you only need soil and stones to make one. I thought beyond retarded that you need a complex system to get purified water, that type of autism pretty much kills most of those so called "survival" mods for Bethesda games, that and the fact that you consume more water per second than a whale. Going from fully hydrated to completely dehydrated on a matter of hours even when you are just walking around is as fun as having my balls receiving random electrical shocks to make things more "challenging".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
FROST looks interesting but I'm not going to buy all the shitty DLC just to have it work.

Yosharian

Arcane
Wow there's a whole bunch of mods here. I got this from the page for Outcasts and Remnants:

The following quest mods are optional, but they're by the same co-authors as Outcasts and Remnants, and when combined with OAR will give you over 20 fully-voiced companions, 60+ hours of integrated quest content, and a completely alternate path through the vanilla main quest if you choose.

Project Valkyrie
Depravity
Fusion City Rising
50 Ways to Die at Dr. Nick's

Very interesting. If it's all high quality, this could be an interesting way to replay the game. 'If'.

Perkel

Arcane
So to sum up what can "fix" main/sidequests in F4:

FROST - total overhaul removing main storyline and npcs, changing world to nuclear winter with focus on survival, very scarce resources and deadly combat, few factions, barely any npc that is friendly.

Sim Settlements Conquest - Play as Raider and outright get quest to kill preston, form your own faction like raiders and conquer wasteland with them attacking other settlements which by this mod will be expanded into settlements. Those factions you attack will hit you back in kind taking over your settlements if you are shit at playing game. Equip your team and go make war.

Depravity - play as a bad guy, add evil options to main quest and few side-quests. Join Kellog and enslave people etc. While it is standalone it is also part of Project Valkyrie series of quest mods, which add ton of new quests and gives option for main quest to have additional endings and different quest outcomes.

No essential npcs - world is fucked and you see world becoming hellhole were clowns exist, time to purge wasteland out of those clowns. No gangsters, clowns, experiment subject and so on. Keep wasteland clean of that scum. Even better combine it with start me up mod and join raiders as background bringing tribal justice to the wasteland.

So to sum up what can "fix" main/sidequests in F4:

FROST - total overhaul removing main storyline and npcs, changing world to nuclear winter with focus on survival, very scarce resources and deadly combat, few factions, barely any npc that is friendly.

Sim Settlements Conquest - Play as Raider and outright get quest to kill preston, form your own faction like raiders and conquer wasteland with them attacking other settlements which by this mod will be expanded into settlements. Those factions you attack will hit you back in kind taking over your settlements if you are shit at playing game. Equip your team and go make war.

Depravity - play as a bad guy, add evil options to main quest and few side-quests. Join Kellog and slave people etc. While standalone it is also part of Project Valkyrie which adds ton of new quests and gives option for additional endings for main quest.

No essential npcs - world is fucked and you see world becoming hellhole were clowns exist, time to purge wasteland out of those clown. No gangsters, clowns, experiment subject and so on. Keep wasteland clean of that scum. Even better combine it with start me up mod and join raiders as background bringing tribal justice to the wasteland.
If my "fix" you mean "remove" then sure.

jf8350143

Liturgist
There's a new mod out on nexus that supposedly adds more options to how you tackle the main story, adding RPG.
Oh? What's it called?
Depravity a harmless bit of fun.

it lets you fight gunners to advance the main plot instead of finding Nick.
Yeah that one. According to the description it adds far more than just that tho. Haven't played it myself yet.

I played part of it. Kind disappointed since most of the quests added didn't have any variation(there is one that has the 'let's talk about it' option and didn't involve any persuasion check), it's just another route to finish the main quest. Although it lets you recruit Kellog, so that's a plus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom