Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Has powah armoah become so common that nobody comments on it anymore? I reloaded a save before talking to Paladin Derp and came back in PA, hoping he would comment on it or even try to remove it from inventory... but nope. "Hello citizen, I am amazed you are just charging in to our help." Dude, I am wearing PA? I kill ghouls with one hit of my machete? Meh.

A few noobmistakes to avoid if you are starting while still caught in FNV mindset like me:

- Charisma is THE dumpstat again. Rolled 6 CH and I am failing even the easiest speech checks. The CH 6 perk is only useful if you spend most of your time building settlements (first perk shares workbench inventory between settlements, so no hauling around anymore)
- Automatic weapons are king now, since dmg resistance is just like FO3. Taped me a pipe machinegun together and it mows down enemies like no tomorrow, while using the common .38 ammo
- Gun Nut is a must have if you use normal weapons. GN2 let me double my shotgun dmg and build a pretty accurate full auto rifle, helping the twitchy combat a lot.
- Single shot pistols are made for consoletards, click as fast as you can! I value my mouse too much for that shit. Don't use.
- Always loot meat from dead animals, cooked stuff can be far more effective for healing than stimpacks with no +rad.
- The elevated highways seem to be the new metro tunnels now. You can walk high up on them and avoid enemies under you, with occasional elevators to bring you down to settlements.
- Melee weapons are pretty effective even with low STR in the beginning. Found a serrated machete and it deals some 35 dmg already, slicing ghouls into handy bits.
- Always remove the fusion cell from your PA after exiting. Otherwise it's like a car with it's keys inside, begging to be stolen. If an enemy steals it and you kill him, you don't get the frame back, only the parts, happing hunting for a new one.
- While traveling with dawgmeat you may encounter NotGarrus selling his dog for 250 caps. After getting boozed and wearing a cocktail dress with a stupid hat, I managed to pass the speech check to buy it. I never found it again, but it seems to increase the defense rating of the settlement you sent it to. Not really worth it.

Did they actually record extra lines for when you are boozed? When I talked to him my toon was giggling during introduction. If that's so I am going to pick party girl and PARTY THE WASTELAND TO DEATH!.

Funfact: The old fortune teller will NEVER leave her chair after you build it. I placed it in the middle of the road and she just sits there even during radiation rain. Still waiting for her face to melt off.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Also I have no idea how to connect generators to stuff that requires power because the game doesnt explain anything. Prolly through those laser wires but I cannot find stuff to build them.
Build a generator. Build what you want to power. Press space when highlighting it to connect a cable. Press space when highlighting the other thing to connect cable. If you cannot connect it, the distance is to large and you have to build a relay pole or what those things are called in between.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Meh, fuck settlements. When I play my build will be something like...

End 3
Str 7 (hip firing perk)
Per 5 (explosives)
Cha 3 (high enough for lone wanderer perk)
Int 4 (hacking)
Agi 2 (nothing important here)
Luck whatever.

It's pretty stupid that hip firing is tied to strength but whatever.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Overall it's ok as your typical AAA game but you must not see it as anything Fallout-related. It just happens to bear the same name.

No it's not when you have AAA games like The Witcher 3. Fallout 4 fails in everything it tried to achieve, from the setting, to the production values, to the writing, to the being an RPG.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So far I am kinda having fun with it, honestly. I have to add Fallout 3 was my first Fallout and I first played FO1 2 years ago and yes, FO1 is of course better. Yet I just try to see the game as an FPS genremix that is not related to Fallout, so it's ok-ish. The Minecraft part tho is absolutely horrific and making me wanna scream, I really really hate it, it is so un-fun to run around in circles in your bases trying to scrap stuff. Also I have no idea how to connect generators to stuff that requires power because the game doesnt explain anything. Prolly through those laser wires but I cannot find stuff to build them.

I have a stream going in the background because gotta have noise to code. The guy is minecrafting to the max.

If you have a generator, YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS. You then need copper and you can wire everything up by looking at the generator and pressing space to start laying wire and space to attach. There's a range limit and it needs a clear line of sight between the hookup points. Some things need to be directly connected. Other (like radios) seem to be 'k if there's one of those powered mini-pylons nearby.

Also, if you don't use a pylon with a switch (and the switch is off) when you wire up a trap, the trap goes off immediately and you complain about bugs to the viewers.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So far I am kinda having fun with it, honestly. I have to add Fallout 3 was my first Fallout and I first played FO1 2 years ago and yes, FO1 is of course better. Yet I just try to see the game as an FPS genremix that is not related to Fallout, so it's ok-ish. The Minecraft part tho is absolutely horrific and making me wanna scream, I really really hate it, it is so un-fun to run around in circles in your bases trying to scrap stuff. Also I have no idea how to connect generators to stuff that requires power because the game doesnt explain anything. Prolly through those laser wires but I cannot find stuff to build them.

Which leads me to my next point, the fact that you have to collect every single item ingame just to get the shit you need for building. I am an avid collector in games, quite addicted to collecting actually so I can make money, but this is taking it too far. I'm cramming up my inventory with ashtrays, baby bottles and used gas canisters so that I can extract resources from it and this is not fun at all. Jesus.

The slow-mo V.A.T.S. is also pretty bad, it's too fast and you often end up fumbling around while trying to aim for the head.

Yet exploration is ok, there are more handplaced items than in Fallout 3 and so far level scaling wasn't too bad. Dialogues are an utter joke tho, I already forgot half of what people told me because I cannot give a damn about them and the stupid dialogue weel doesn't help.

Overall it's ok as your typical AAA game but you must not see it as anything Fallout-related. It just happens to bear the same name.

PS: Ignoring people who play the game, oh so edgy. If you are 12 years old :roll:
I know it's cheating but typing "tgm" into the console helped me saving a lot of brain cells.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Charisma is laughally bad.

The speech checks are fucking bugged. I got like charisma 10 and the same speech checks are just as hard as with char 1 or 5.

gg

Also: How the fuck do y ou find 5mm ammo for y our minigun? Shit is rarer than intelligence on blondes

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
No it's not when you have AAA games like The Witcher 3. Fallout 4 fails in everything it tried to achieve, from the setting, to the production values, to the writing, to the being an RPG.

Yet it still is fun on a basic level if you don't expect anything great.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm really hating the conversations system (that arrow-keys wheel-ripoff drives me mad). AND the conversations themselves. Even Skyrim is better written than this.

Turjan

Arcane
They wanted people to feel awesome from the beginning and then realized everything became too easy and "fixed it" by limiting usage, likely. Now, it was easy to solve. Give the player a "defective power armor" so you can justify the short usability and still keep in the game the goal to find a fully functional one. But I suppose that's not the case, right.
Such a lost opportunity.They should sell fusion cores for real money.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Also: How the fuck do y ou find 5mm ammo for y our minigun? Shit is rarer than intelligence on blondes
It's most likely level based. So far I found only a whooping 10(!) 5mm rounds in some lone house's ammo box. Maybe the Diamond Shitty dealer has it, but I haven't checked. The usual problem with those miniguns, the amount of ammo you find is in no relation to the amount of ammo you burn through for a single enemy. You are better off building a pipe machine gun, at least that ammo falls of the sky.

I am lvl 18 or so now, and boxes are starting to contain nice upgraded 10mm auto pistols. The lockpicking perk was a waste tho, since (like Skyrim) the content of boxes is based on your level. So even if you could open a master lock at lvl10 you would only get a pipe pistol...

Some unique weapons are ridiculous tho, I found a 10mm pistol with endless ammo (no reload needed). How is that even possible?

Todd: "It just works!"

Moving on...

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really appreciate them putting indicator lights on frag mines. Wouldn't want someone walking into one in the dark.

WBo33eO.jpg

they are red already.... EU safety norms in action! :incloosive:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
So, you guys are level 18-20 after a couple days. I suppose that means you level up to 100 and become Good At Everything

pippin

I think Bethesda took a peek at the achievements for different Steam games and they realized that if they don't include some kind of Press Awesome Button element really early in the game the general public would just drop it, or even worse, ask for a refund.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom