Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

pippin

Well it took two games (The Witcher 3 and MGS5) to make people realize this kind of game can be good. All in all, I can see they made certain aspects of gameplay more comfortable (like the looting), but the sacrifices are just too big. Not only the skills. For many people, crafting will be part of what makes a FO game. I mean, crafting was always there, even in 1, if you consider making antivenoms to be crafting. But if you release a FO game without crafting people will just not accept it. I wonder if they feared having a fixed protagonist would negatively impact on the community, which is weird, because both Twitcher 3 and MGS5 have those and people loved them.

Gord

Arcane
:lol:
I fucking love that. "Yeah you know, their games are consistently buggy and broken, but at least they never made a game that you couldn't actually run."
Thanks Beth! :salute:

Well, what does it take for you to get all upset and scream murder? Most people need more than a few clipping issues or occasionally glitchy AI. Sure, watching all those Youtube vids might make it look as if Bethesda games are consisting of nothing else, but the thing is, most of the time you won't actually encounter that stuff (or at least not notice it).

I do admit, though, that even I am bewildered at how many people are willing to full price :d1p: or even pre-order Bethesda's games.

Alfons

Prophet
Well, what does it take for you to get all upset and scream murder?
That doesn't matter. The fact that standards have been lowered to a point where people say that it's ok because it's Bethesda and that at least the game runs is retarded. Instead of saying they've been doing practically the same game for years and that they should have fixed this shit by now, it's the complete opposite.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

They got Myron's recipe right
GFXzKXb.jpg
Fertilizer and plastic? Sounds more like Fallout 4's recipe, amirite? :M

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Well, I have to say against all odds that I'm enjoying the game more than I expected. And as the Bethestard that I am, I have to say that I never had any hype or expectations with this Fallout 4. But I'm having fun with it. Gunplay is finally fun, the AI is finally some better, the crafting and building system gives a new sense to recolect shit in a prospector way, music and art direction looks fine. The world feels more consistent and solid that FO3. Is a breath of fresh air see how each location has water and food resources, defenses and stuff in comparison with how Megaton and Rivet city were in FO3. This lead to the thing that this game isn't a Fallout game anymore, netiher a Bethesda Action RPG Hiking simulator. It is The Sims in postapocaliptic Boston.

Unafortunately the game isn't extent of fails. Graphics are mediocre. I can't understand the elimination of the skills. Even as a simplification. If you want to make a game simplier to make it accesible to more players you never think in adding a system as the society management, which some of the playesr will find heavy. This game needs complexity. The same thing can be said of the dialoge system, which looks very cinematic and better than in any previous Bethesda game. But again, I think that the dialoge wheel was unnecesary and senseless. This game could have had a dialogue system like New vegas, and keep that cinematics that currently has. Also, the main plot looks pretty generic nad the writing is bland, and I'm getting tired of the fucking synthetics. They are the new zombies in the currently postapocaliptic pieces or what?

But I'm having fun with it. It's solid. More that I expected. Let's see how evolves.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm currently "acquiring" the game, but there's one thing I know I'm not going to do and I have no clue why other people do it: taking followers.

Why the fuck would you take followers with you in a first person game? They just get in the fucking way.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I'm currently "acquiring" the game, but there's one thing I know I'm not going to do and I have no clue why other people do it: taking followers.

Why the fuck would you take followers with you in a first person game? They just get in the fucking way.

Packmule, bro. On my Strength 2 character, carrying extra shit around on companions is useful :D

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
There's a perk that gives you damage mitigation and bonus carry weight at a very high rate if you roll solo.

But does it outweight the dmg and carry weight that your companion can handle?

Personally, Paladin Danse wrecked a lot of face for me. I played Survival, and shit was p. hard without combat skills.

Veelq

Augur
Well it took two games (The Witcher 3 and MGS5) to make people realize this kind of game can be good. All in all, I can see they made certain aspects of gameplay more comfortable (like the looting), but the sacrifices are just too big. Not only the skills. For many people, crafting will be part of what makes a FO game. I mean, crafting was always there, even in 1, if you consider making antivenoms to be crafting. But if you release a FO game without crafting people will just not accept it. I wonder if they feared having a fixed protagonist would negatively impact on the community, which is weird, because both Twitcher 3 and MGS5 have those and people loved them.
They accepted Geralt and Snake because those were games/series about them, and the player was just an observer with an ability to decide what to do. Fallout games ( and all Bethesda games ) were always about you being the character, not an observer. Thats why voiced protag sucks.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But does it outweight the dmg and carry weight that your companion can handle?

Personally, Paladin Danse wrecked a lot of face for me. I played Survival, and shit was p. hard without combat skills.

Each point in the perk gives you 50 carry weight and ~15% damage mitigation (stacks).
I hate companion management in Bethesda games. I hate sneaking with them, hearing them, dealing with their ai.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Larping always was a way to enjoy Bethesda games. Problem is you can't larp very much when you play as a good/angry/sarcastic/Not my business soldier who is a family man who is searching for his son.

pippin

They accepted Geralt and Snake because those were games/series about them, and the player was just an observer with an ability to decide what to do. Fallout games ( and all Bethesda games ) were always about you being the character, not an observer. Thats why voiced protag sucks.

Many people only knew about The Witcher with 3, same for MGS and 5, and even for Fallout 4. One of the basic principles of game design and marketing these days is "we have to make a game for people who have never played (our) games before". Remember Mass Effect 3's marketing campaign? "If you haven't played any ME game yet, this is the perfect place to start!". You could argue that part of the success of the rpg kickstarters from last year was based on the fact that they marketed their products to jaded audiences who wanted something they could feel more comfortable with. As it has been said, some of the people who are complaining about cut out and/or simplified features from FO4 are the ones who knew about the franchise with FO3, but the former isn't for them anynore, this is a game for a new generation.

In contrast, compare this with all the franchises who died in the mid-late 90s because they changed too much stuff.

Some people think the simplification of dialogue - which is hand in hand with the voiced protagonist - is bad because it was designed in a clunky way. Some people even expected 100% cinematic mode and cutscenes during conversations, even. Some of them are being lenient because they think Bethesda will improve this in the future, but in the end the answer is the same: mods will fix it.

People who already complained with FO3 won't be happy with 4 or any future FO game, because, sadly, the game does not "belong" to them anymore.

Veelq

Augur
Many people only knew about The Witcher with 3, same for MGS and 5, and even for Fallout 4. One of the basic principles of game design and marketing these days is "we have to make a game for people who have never played (our) games before". Remember Mass Effect 3's marketing campaign? "If you haven't played any ME game yet, this is the perfect place to start!". You could argue that part of the success of the rpg kickstarters from last year was based on the fact that they marketed their products to jaded audiences who wanted something they could feel more comfortable with. As it has been said, some of the people who are complaining about cut out and/or simplified features from FO4 are the ones who knew about the franchise with FO3, but the former isn't for them anynore, this is a game for a new generation.

In contrast, compare this with all the franchises who died in the mid-late 90s because they changed too much stuff.

Some people think the simplification of dialogue - which is hand in hand with the voiced protagonist - is bad because it was designed in a clunky way. Some people even expected 100% cinematic mode and cutscenes during conversations, even. Some of them are being lenient because they think Bethesda will improve this in the future, but in the end the answer is the same: mods will fix it.

People who already complained with FO3 won't be happy with 4 or any future FO game, because, sadly, the game does not "belong" to them anymore.
What i get from your post is that Bethesda is not only killing Fallout but the whole company that is based on games like TES series by changing too much. I dont know if thats what you meant tho.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Been playing it for a about 20 hours.

It's not a terrible game. The dialogue system has been lobotomised and the lack of skills is jarring, but it's a big improvement over Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly I don't know what I expected from F4. Maybe a surprisingly good game, or maybe something hilariously bad which still can transform into another New Vegas after a few years, but what I'm seeing is just a boring, below-average bugfest. Even the codex butthurt turns out to be rather disappointing.

Sure human radiant ai companions would act the same, but since red light is outside a dog's visible spectrum (and even if he did, how'd he know these lights bring death?), this part hardly counts as stupid ai. Still funny though.

Perkel

Arcane
The bit with the bed is funny. It's nice to see they at least think of those sort of details.

Nah best part is that raider trash talk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom