Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Hope soon there will be mod to get the fuck out +xx % to y type weapons.

On other hand you can now steal like in Fallout 1/2 ! Equiped armors included.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tumblr_nxoktb0Vv11ucdjr7o1_1280.jpg

For a Bethesda game a face-gen is really impressive.

Also great expression.

:fallout 4:

:lol:

anus_pounder

Arcane
02E9B7B0BB4ED530E60434ABF72DD97EA87789A8

I have no idea what happened here. I'm guessing the 'jump down' animation fucked up or something. Piper can still move, be interacted with, shoot and melee enemies. Shes just permanently frozen in that stance. Gonna reload later and see if it isn't fixed.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
e8iUJot3IdI.jpg

X - You were like a brother to me!
Y - I loved you!
B - You were supposed to destroy console dialogue, not join it!

rado907

Savant
I m not judging or anything but someone payed you to write that, right? Or you just havent played many RPGs.
A few pages back I had a couple of posts with many complaints about the game. I'm just conveying my impressions - the beginning sucked balls, and then the game got better. I like some parts of the game - the fun areas and quests, and the attention and love put into some of the NPCs; and I hate the shitty parts of the game - such as the abysmal interface, the wobbly pacing, the poorly implemented introduction, and the frustrating resource system.

Like I said, the game reminds me of Gothic 3 - it's not for everybody, but if you can overlook its problems, it can reward you with a good deal of solid content and gameplay.

I have no idea what happened here. I'm guessing the 'jump down' animation fucked up or something. Piper can still move, be interacted with, shoot and melee enemies. Shes just permanently frozen in that stance. Gonna reload later and see if it isn't fixed.

sooner or later it'll fix by itself.
also it's not a bug, it's a feature. it just works.

Gerrard

Arcane

[VGTG]

e8iUJot3IdI.jpg

Y - I loved you!
I thought Russians wouldn't be this delusional.

pippin

What i get from your post is that Bethesda is not only killing Fallout but the whole company that is based on games like TES series by changing too much. I dont know if thats what you meant tho.

No, they are getting new fans because they are changing everything, ironically. They do keep the same appearance across most of their games. Imagine if they finally dropped gamebryo. But at the same time people believe FO4 has a completely different engine, just because Todd told them so.
People these days see change between games as something positive. They laugh at AssCreed or CoD because of the contrary, they keep releasing the same games. They think that, by changing stuff, you're pushing gaming forward.
However, many things in FO4 feel like they were in FO3. And that's what bothering people, FO4 isn't "advanced" enough.

Veelq

Augur
I see this situation with FO4 as the one Bioware had with DA2, they tried more personal stuff and they failed. But i agree on the fact that people see change as something positive w/o thinking about it. Thinking is very weak these days.

e8iUJot3IdI.jpg

Y - I loved you!
Huh. Fucking vkontaktik generation, not only they reference SW prequels, possibly unironically, but also somebody really thought that Fallout 4 wouldn't be consolized.
Oh well, if we are talking about Russian reactions, this is way better and also oldschool. It can be understood only by us (and probably Mexicans) though.

Last edited:

pippin

I see this situation with FO4 as the one Bioware had with DA2, they tried more personal stuff and they failed. But i agree on the fact that people see change as something positive w/o thinking about it. Thinking is very weak these days.

I don't think you can really compare them. DA2 was hated among many, with a strong passion, and even some Bioware fans I've met admit it's a terrible game. However many people think FO4 is seriously a great game, and even if we've been reading and hearing lukewarm reviews, I don't think it's going to be as damaging to Beth's reputation than DA2 was for Bioware.
We'll still have to see how they manage to deal with mods for consoles, because I don't think you could have many negative reviews from the DLCs.

Zeronet

Learned
You know, this is exactly the problem. I mean the whole "but this is Bethesda" mentality that miraculously perpetuates itself no matter what.

No other company was ever allowed to enjoy such leniency. Piranha Bytes made Gothic 3 and got burned all the way to hell. Bethesda made Oblivion... well, guys, this is Bethesda. Mythic made WAR and now where's Mythic? Bethesda made FO3... hey, this is Bethesda, give us a break. BioWare made DA2 and somehow survived it, though just barely. Bethesda made Skyrim... this is Bethesda, silly, what did you expect?

Ubisoft was forced to apologize for AC:U. Rocksteady had to refund Arkham Knight. Do I need to give your more examples? But for Bethesda somehow everything just works™. They release a game with the story made of idiocy and nonsense, with FPS drops, with a glitch at every step - and everyone's happy. I guess they could fill boxes with dog droppings and it'd still sell like hot pies.

I don't know if it's Todd's animal charisma or just gamers' stupidity but after 10 years it's really annoying to hear the very same excuse every time.

At this point in time, Bethesda is a PR company with a game development team, look at that horrific and embarrassing Fallout party, i bet most of the devs felt weird being there because it wasn't celebrating their work, it was a PR exercise. They clearly throw all the money at marketing and not fixing the failbyro engine or hiring animators and artists to make AAA popamole quality graphics. I honestly don't know how true the theories that adbuys affect reviews (i just think its a case of moronic reviewers, in theory proper publications separate business and editorial sides), but Bethesda clearly go big on them either way.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Pro-tip: never buy stimpaks for two reasons: every second raider drops one as loot, and they're pretty useless overall early game unless you're willing to invest in the medic perk. They're set to only heal about 30% of your health, and it's not instant. That can be boosted to higher levels via the medic perk, but I don't think that's worth the investment over others, like the lockpicking/hacking trees and the damage buffs/item crafting ones. The various foots you can craft, on the other hand, can heal anywhere from 40 to 150 points of health per use, and almost all critters will drop meat upon death, and they can drop even more if you find the right magazine. No perks required, just an area to cook in. I'd imagine stimpaks will get more useful later on in the game, when my health increases to such a point that the percentage-based stimpaks will heal more than the food is capable off, but that's a long ways off yet.

Frozen

Arcane
DA2 is "underrated" when you compare it to DAI - an unplayable game.
I hated DA2 with passion but could still play through. DAI, no way its impossible.
DA2 was still BioWare story driven RPG only really cheap version of it with terrible stupid plot.
So, FO4 is DA2, its still old Bethesda going into cheap mode.
FO5 will probably be the really shitty one.

rado907

Savant
Welp, beat it after 39 hrs of leisurely gameplay. Reached level 33 and helped the Brotherhood reach sweet victory. The Institute is a hole in the ground and Shaun is history.
There is enough content in the game for at least 2 more runs. There is also enough content left unlocked to justify investing at least 10-15 more hours into my current char. Many high-end mods require absurdly many levels and perks.
But I'm done. I like Bethesda games well enough, but they become repetitive after a certain point.

So, basically, as we've seen, most Bethestards like the game well enough, and those who don't particularly like Bethesda games don't like this one either. As people here have remarked, Fallout 4 tries to be too much - it tries to be Minecraft meets Borderlands meets Skyrim meets Fallout. And the pieces don't quite fit together - at least not the way the pieces of, say, GTA5 fit. And that's too bad. Fortunately, behind all the bullshit we still have a perfectly serviceable Bethesda title.

Ad Victoriam!
:mrpresident:

Kazuki

Arcane
I find interesting thing

Commonwealth Provisional Government

The Commonwealth Provisional Government was an initiative put forth around 2229, proposing the creation of a joint government for the Commonwealth region. Representatives from every settlement in the region arrived at Diamond City for negotiations. Unfortunately, The Institute had sent their own representative, a synth. In what became known as the Massacre of the CPG, the synth malfunctioned and murdered every representative attending the session. The initiative never got off the ground and helped cause the widespread paranoia about synthetic infiltrators that would persist well into 2287.

Seems, they want to create their own NCR.

Kazuki

Arcane
Probably, but first there will be TES VI to endure, which may end up being more Bethesda's "DA2." They'll reduce it down to two playable races.

I can't wait for that to happen, the butthurt for not being able to play a furries or elf faggotry will be glorious :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like there's not going to be a "Blistering Stupidity of Fallout 4". Unless he changes his mind. But at least there's this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...nts/14978-Why-The-Fallout-4-Intro-Is-Terrible

The Fallout 4 Intro Is A Mess
SHAMUS YOUNG | 16 NOVEMBER 2015 7:00 PM

I love Fallout 4. This will amaze the people who know me as the guy who mercilessly dumped on the belovedFallout 3, and bore everyone else, because by this point the internet is awash in Fallout 4 love.

But what's interesting here is that I was completely irritated with Fallout 4 at the start. The first big encounter had me rolling my eyes, sighing heavily, and - by the end - gritting my teeth. And from that messy opening, the game managed to win me over.

1001929.jpg

The setup is this: You roll into town for the first time after exiting the tutorial. You find a small group of people beset by raiders. The leader of this group is Preston Garvey, a warm and trusting guy who immediately befriends you. He lets you have a set of power armor and a minigun to fight off the raiders. As you're killing the raiders, a deathclaw shows up and you have an "epic" fight with it.

This is wrong in numerous ways, but I want to focus on the three main problems:

1. The deathclaw gets no build-up. Deathclaws are one of the signature bad guys of the franchise and one of the most memorable parts of the first game. This has nothing to do with the monster design and everything to do with how the monster was introduced.

In the first game, you begin hearing rumors of deathclaws long before you encounter them. They're blamed for various attacks and you hear spooky stories about how fearsome and powerful they are. People are terrified of the name, and you can't tell which rumors - if any - are actually true. Your quest drags you into a cave to confront one, and even though it was a turn-based game with simple 2D sprites, that confrontation was a thousand times more thrilling than the surprise deathclaw in Fallout 4.

999921.png

By this point in Fallout 4, the player has never seen or heard of one. Nobody is worried about them. There's no tension and no stakes. Your character is fighting for people they just met against a monster they've never heard of in a town they just arrived in using overpowered weapons they didn't earn.

You might argue that this is the fourth (or eighth, depending on how you count) game in the series, and so a prolonged build-up isn't needed. But I'll point out that even in other long-running franchises (the Aliens movies are a good example) giving the monsters a proper introduction is just Storytelling 101. It's possible to feel new suspense for an old threat, as long as the author is letting us see it through the eyes of new characters or in new situations.

This sequence has all the mechanical elements of a major show-down, but without any of the required groundwork to give it emotional heft.

2. The Power Armor feels totally unearned. In the first game, the Brotherhood of Steel - at the time the only people with access to power armor - were almost an Easter egg. It was possible to go through the entire game without meeting them. If you did meet them and wanted a set of their glorious power armor for yourself, you had to join their ranks. This was no easy task and would take you to some strange places that you'd never visit otherwise.

Even then, it took some doing to get them to cough up a set of power armor for you. The game sold this notion that power armor was precious, exotic, and powerful. When you finally slipped on your power armor you felt like you were getting away with something. You'd stolen the fire of the gods. Sure, the power was exhilarating, but so was the sense that this was a secret, forbidden power and that you had cheated the system to get it.

For contrast, in Fallout 4 you're basically handed the power armor by total strangers the moment you exit the tutorial. It feels about as special as a participation trophy.

999923.png

3. Preston Garvey is WAY too nice. This is actually one of the lingering problems with the game. The Preston character is a boring mess.

Preston doesn't even feel like he's part of this world. Fallout has quite a bit of Mad Max in its DNA. It's supposed to be this world gone mad, a desperate landscape of survivors who cling to life by letting go of their sanity. Nearly everyone you met in Fallout 1 was at least a little crazy in some way. But here in Fallout 4, Preston comes off like the Mister Rogers of the apocalypse. He's just generically nice to you because he can tell you're the player character.

He's dressed like a footsoldier in 1776 and he's carrying a "laser musket". Nearly everyone he's ever known has died in the last month. He's the leader of a movement that's quickly going extinct. His character design is practically screaming out "This character should be wild and eccentric!"

Making Preston some sort of Trevor Phillips-style lunatic would fix everything. It would explain his unrealistic ambitions, his deference to the player, and his dedication to a seemingly lost cause. It would even explain why he gives you the power armor. "I'll be honest, Vault-dweller. I really thought that old suit was gonna blow up the moment you hit the power button. In fact, it kinda gives me the willies just standing this close to you."

So if the intro is so bad, how did Fallout 4 recover?

The intro feels like it was tacked on for the purposes of making trailers and press demos. (In fact, I strongly suspect this is the case.) Preston Garvey is indeed generic and boring, but he's also simple enough that you can immediately understand him in just a couple of seconds, which is exactly what you want in an abbreviated demo where there's no time for nuance. Later on, there are numerous characters who have much smaller parts but far more interesting character designs.

The power armor feels unearned, but later you'll learn about the upkeep costs of using it and discover it's something of a guilty pleasure and probably not something you can use all the time. The game basically said "the first hit is free" when it comes to power armor. Yes, that first rampage might have been fun, but you're going to have to scrounge for fusion cores if you want to do it again.

The deathclaw is robbed of its status as a boogeyman of the wasteland, but there are other foes that get lots of buildup. Some are even connected to the main story in interesting ways.

The important thing about the Fallout 4 intro is that it's completely unlike the rest of the game. It sets up expectations that this game is going to be a shallow story of boring characters and cheap gratification, but then the designer turns around and starts building up a colorful, interesting, multi-sided conflict where you're allowed to form your own opinions, choose sides, and have all kinds of crazy adventures that are well worthy of the Fallout name.

I've had lots of good games turn suddenly bad on me, but I've never had a game turn suddenly good like this. The game won me over with fun ideas, a few solid characters, and a great big wasteland full of interesting stories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom