Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

ropetight

Savant
In original Fallout you had three groups of character data that were grouped by how you change them permanently
- attributes were most static, you can permanently change them only with surgeries
- perks you gained every 3 or 4 of levels
- skills you could increase every level up

This made your decisions about perks and attributes more substantial
This gave you flexibility in start that if you got some new piece of weapon, you could became proficient with it in couple of level ups.
In the start, you would suck with it, if you haven't preallocated points in skill .
But sooner or later you became certain build, specialized in certain skills.
So that system gave good combination of flexibility and choice consequences.

In F4, everything is a Perk, even attributes.
And you can modify them every level which makes them not that different or special.
Without skillssystem, every weapon you get, you are using it as you were born and raised with it.
Which is fine for shooters, but really dumbs down roleplaying with weapons.
Removing of skills was also needed for that terrible dialogue system.

I enjoy everything Fallout, including Fallout 4. I find most peoples dislike of Fallout 4 to be without merit, instead, just parroting others and getting positive feedback in their dislike of it.

I always felt like this topic though,is the one that should be most closely looked at in regards to any perceived downturn in Fallout over the years. I would very much enjoy seeing a world crafted by the team that made Skyrim and Fallout 4 (landscape, buildings and dungeons mostly) but with the older sensibilites in attributes and perks, choice and consequences.

I like the SPECIAL UI if only for the Vault Boy animation and accompanying sound effects. It certainly is cumbersome to navigate with mouse and keyboard or controller.

I can only speak from my experience.
New Fallout, got it installed, created character, started playing.
Graphics are finally better, and guns feel more satisfying - and that is where positive things ended for me.

Character system felt like massive let down - it just wasn't satisfying gaining levels.
I would put my hardly earned points to perk, and it changed almost nothing.
Later I read that game had no level cap and that you could max almost everything in level-up bonanza.

Every dialogue felt like quicktime event, after a while I started shortening and avoiding them as much as I could.
Story was really bland, and characters somehow forgettable.

Settlement building is massive addition, but I really dislike builder games from first/third person.
Crafting and survival is so massive part of game now, you can hardly ignore it - my character became scraper and pack mule.
And I hated it.

Second time I tried to play it without crafting/survival, but game forces you to do some of grind for it.
Tried some mods, they didn't help.
I think I never managed to go past first half of the game: it felt like a chore, not something I enjoy.

They unofficially siphoned more than 100 million only in Fallout 4 marketing (and it showed), they can't allow risk of not being understood by the audience.
I still hope that it is possible to do proper nuFallout with older systems, but not with Bethesda's budgets, I think.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You can get through the game without using weapon and armor mods. I completely ignored them during my time playing it. You can't, however, avoid legendary enemies, which were a fucking terrible addition that nobody seems to mention. There are scarcely any compelling unique weapons because they want you to grind legendaries like it's fucking Diablo 2.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Well I wouldn't do Far Harbor without some kneecap legendary (preferably full auto) on highest diff and that's p fun too, dropping that is good indication to set sail. Yeah mods are not much. Just do commando perk and combat drug. Also theres one for skill checks. The one mod I used is to remove scope from the Nuka assault rifle because you can just hipfire with psycho + commando otherwise not worth it and you can just reload if the trader sells it with scope afaik.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Depravity is more of a band aid than a fix it lets you make a couple of decisions that are slightly less retarded than vanilla but it still sticks to the core bullshit idea of it. On top of that it adds a fair bit of what I can only describe as very mid tier fanfiction that really has no place in Fallout period. Adding a literal Harley Quin(the modern feminist one, not the cool 90s one) is just one such thing it adds. On the other hand you can just kill Preston and nuke the Gunners but you will essentially have to ignore the context in which it happens to not cringe through the whole ordeal.
You were absolutely right. Just met the core cast of the mod and I think I'm gonna skip out on the whole thing... Heavy cringe all around. Not to mention the shit design and balancing encountered in the very first quest. I wanted to fix the retarded main story, not add ANOTHER retarded story on top of it. It even seems kinda pozzed, with terminals talking about muh sexualities and what not – nothing too damning (so far), but already clashing pretty heavily with the setting. Maybe I should just bear through the main story as is just to experience the retardation in full.

I'm going to be running with Horizon this time, since it seems like something very much my alley and was praised on the Codex before. Should help focus on the survival part, hopefully.

thesecret1

Arcane
Depravity is more of a band aid than a fix it lets you make a couple of decisions that are slightly less retarded than vanilla but it still sticks to the core bullshit idea of it. On top of that it adds a fair bit of what I can only describe as very mid tier fanfiction that really has no place in Fallout period. Adding a literal Harley Quin(the modern feminist one, not the cool 90s one) is just one such thing it adds. On the other hand you can just kill Preston and nuke the Gunners but you will essentially have to ignore the context in which it happens to not cringe through the whole ordeal.
You were absolutely right. Just met the core cast of the mod and I think I'm gonna skip out on the whole thing... Heavy cringe all around. Not to mention the shit design and balancing encountered in the very first quest. I wanted to fix the retarded main story, not add ANOTHER retarded story on top of it. It even seems kinda pozzed, with terminals talking about muh sexualities and what not – nothing too damning (so far), but already clashing pretty heavily with the setting. Maybe I should just bear through the main story as is just to experience the retardation in full.

I'm going to be running with Horizon this time, since it seems like something very much my alley and was praised on the Codex before. Should help focus on the survival part, hopefully.
Horizon is a piece of shit. Can't believe I'm gonna say it, but it's straight up worse than vanilla. The much rarer loot is nice, but it converted combat into absolute cancer. Not only are the enemies spongy as fuck, you yourself are, so each fight is basically:
:popamole:

The first raider you meet needs about 7 headshots to die, it's that fucking bad. Goddamn.

EDIT: Also, I should mention that the mod fucking misleads you in its advertising. It specifically says that if you score a headshot on a raider, he's going down. This is true... so long as you meet the weakest type of raider. However, stronger types tend to come with them that absolutely do not go down that easily, and even the very first miniboss you meet (or even the fucking deathclaw) in Condor when you meet the Minutemen is a ridicuous sponge, to the point I thought I must have made a mistake and installed the mod badly (I thought "surely it's not intended that this dude can tank around seventy 5mm bullets before going down, right?"). Nope. This is the intended experience. Raiders shooting a dozen bullets in you that you just shrug off, while you repay them in kind and see they are just as unfazed.

Last edited:

EtcEtcEtc

Savant

Depravity and all that dudes mods are the pinnacle of shitty fanfiction modding - every character is edgy and 'cool' and a mary sue.

Tales from the commonwealth is decent, in that it adds quests that are low stakes, and feel like they could have been side quests created by Bethesda - your mileage may vary if that's a good thing or not. It's all very wacky wasteland stuff, Super Mutants playing football and shit, but it's amusing.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Cyberpunk would be multiple times better game if poles followed some (underdelivered) Todd blueprints. I think far easterns will be better at this once "battle royale" and "extraction shooter" craze dies down a bit and they would emphasize some performance* aspect like draw distance and time of day and NPC routines. I think they mostly do the former MP genres because it's easy to get away with mostly superficial content if your game mostly consists of pitting kiddies against eachother (how machiavellian!)
*Contrary to what F4 emphasized back in the day: dogmeat, fail, and if you don't emphasize performance you just fail IMO.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Man, this fucking game... This is Fallout 3 all over again. All the strengths and weaknesses, it's similar on an uncanny level from a design standpoint. Like FO3's quests, they were pretty good structurally. You could take several avenues to many of them, had different outcomes, the game reacted to some... It was pretty good, but you couldn't appreciate it because the writing for them was fucking RETARDED. Take the quest with blowing up Megaton, for example – blowing up one of the game's main hubs, quest NPCs and all? Ballsy. Then further content, with shit like meeting a ghoulified NPC resident, etc.? Awesome! But then it's ruined because the story hinges on Megaton being built around a live nuke (retarded worldbuilding) and Mr. Tenpenny being such a mustache twirling cartoon villain that he wants it blown up because it ruins the view from his balcony. It's just retardation.

FO4 is exactly like that. Like the quest "Diamond City Blues" - it actually has a shitload of states depending on who lives or dies during it, post-quest content with people reacting to the people they know dying, etc. All very impressive. But then you get the writing... A dude wants to set up an ambush where he kills chem smugglers as well as his criminal protegé (son of a local prominent), because he thinks his protegé is planning to ditch him and do bussiness alone. So he wants to kill everyone there and pocket all the cash and drugs. So far so good. Then he involves both you, and a man he was cucking. That makes... a lot less sense, but let's say he got intimidated by us or something and wanted an easy out. So you go and murder everyone there, and then this dude... leaves all the cash and drugs for you two, saying he has to skip town because he'll get blamed for this. So... why the fuck did he do this whole ambush thing? He just put himself in danger of reprisal and fled town, killed this guy he was working with for a long while, endangered his life in a gunfight to kill people he used to do regular bussiness with... for what, exactly? It's retarded.

Much like 3, I felt there was more interesting stuff to do if you did the murderhobo stuff (and in 4, the town mayor content) instead of the handmade designed elements. I think Bethesda realized that a long time ago because every game post 2006 they've made plays like that.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Fallout 4 is a generally entertaining open world looter shooter, especially with mods. One that I tried was FROST, which made it a survival game, and generally succeeds imo to make the game feel more threatening. Just play it with Unlimited Survival so you can save once in a while lol.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Anyone tried the Welcopme to Paradise modlist ? I'm looking for a lightweight list that improves aspects of the game without adding much to the original content. Was also thinking about Frost but it might be too survivalish for me, depends of the atmosphere.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Anyone tried the Welcopme to Paradise modlist ? I'm looking for a lightweight list that improves aspects of the game without adding much to the original content. Was also thinking about Frost but it might be too survivalish for me, depends of the atmosphere.
Idk about Welcome to Paradise, but FROST is definitely harder core survival (there’s a main plot line but you get no actual quests for it and the main gameplay is being able to move farther and farther out while still surviving) and it’s also not lightweight at all, requiring like five ESPs to function at a basic level and making the overworld run slower. It’s a lot of fun but not what you’re looking for rn.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

I checked out the modlist for Welcome to Paradise. It seems perfectly fine for what you want. No real game breakers in it. Frost on the other hand, as Wayward stated, is not something you would want in this case. Not to say it isn't good, it is. It changes the original content quite a bit. If you do play with the Welcome to Paradise modlist I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I already have 50 hours of Fallout 4 under my belt. It's weird, I didn't expect these many hours compared to The Witcher III (200 hours, still haven't finished Blood and Wine).

My opinion is as follows:
  • The writing is god awful. The dialogue "choices" are unexisting. The latter can also be said for The Witcher III dialogue, but to that game's credit, at least we are talking literally: CDPR didn't give you the illusion of choice, at worst they had you decide in which order you wanted to ask your questions. In FO4, and after installing the Extended Dialogue mod, you see just how empty your options are. This is arguably the worst thing about this game.
  • The Perk system is a travesty. It's not that skills needed replacing: it's that skills needed to be toned down (did players notice any difference between 30 Guns and 31 Guns skills?). Plus, Beth sure made sure that choosing your next Perk was a pain in the ass. I miss the old Perk system so much, there was nothing like quickly browsing your available options on a list.
  • The combat is much improved from New Vegas. I want to say the exploration is much better, but it has its tradeoffs: it's more about finding "nice" locations than it is about finding good stuff.
  • Whereas The Witcher III had too much dialogue and cutscenes, Fallout 4 has too much combat. But fittingly, because TW3's weakest aspect is the combat, and FO4's weakest aspect is the dialogue, so maybe it is a blessing in disguise?
  • So much emphasis on the whole crafting and settlement building, goddamn...
  • The weapons look invariably like shit.
  • And so do many characters.
Now I'm officially qualified to say FO4 is not an RPG. Hurray.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I already have 50 hours of Fallout 4 under my belt. It's weird, I didn't expect these many hours compared to The Witcher III (200 hours, still haven't finished Blood and Wine).

• The writing is god awful. The dialogue "choices" are unexisting. The latter can also be said for The Witcher III dialogue, but to that game's credit, at least we are talking literally: CDPR didn't give you the illusion of choice, at worst they had you decide in which order you wanted to ask your questions. In FO4, and after installing the Extended Dialogue mod, you see just how empty your options are. This is arguably the worst thing about this game.
  • The Perk system is a travesty. It's not that skills needed replacing: it's that skills needed to be toned down (did players notice any difference between 30 Guns and 31 Guns skills?). Plus, Beth sure made sure that choosing your next Perk was a pain in the ass. I miss the old Perk system so much, there was nothing like quickly browsing your available options on a list.
  • The combat is much improved from New Vegas. I want to say the exploration is much better, but it has its tradeoffs: it's more about finding "nice" locations than it is about finding good stuff.
  • Whereas The Witcher III had too much dialogue and cutscenes, Fallout 4 has too much combat. But fittingly, because TW3's weakest aspect is the combat, and FO4's weakest aspect is the dialogue, so maybe it is a blessing in disguise?

After reading this drivel I am officially qualified to say your opinion is shit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

After reading this drivel I am officially qualified to say your opinion is shit.
377160_20230709124427_1.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Isn't that what we all ask ourselves?

377160_20230708135803_1.png

377160_20230708131622_1.png

377160_20230708225944_1.png

377160_20230708233150_1.png

377160_20230708233847_1.png

377160_20230709000015_1.png

377160_20230709000130_1.png

377160_20230709121005_1.png

377160_20230709160430_1.png

377160_20230709155359_1.png

377160_20230709160128_1.png

377160_20230709160703_1.png

377160_20230709163843_1.png

377160_20230709190238_1.png

"I killed your husband in cold blood, it was a regrettable accident."

377160_20230709192329_1.png

377160_20230709210435_1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom