Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
XII already was too westernized and doesn't look like FF game.
This a retarded thing to say in a franchise that has done everything from high fantasy to science-fantasy and barely had any consistent thematic thread between games since its origin
The closest thing we can define as "looking like Final Fantasy" is: "some type of fantasy setting with very extravagant aesthetics and some inspiration in Yoshitaka Amano's art"
Both XII and XVI fit the bill

And if anything Ivalice is best setting they've ever came up with
I understand why no more mainline games are set in it - afterall mainline FF games need to be about killing some kind of god, archdemon or evil cosmic force, something which XII already did
But they could easily have plenty of spin-offs about lower stakes plots

If it doesn't have those iconic chibi sprites or isn't hearkening back to them, it doesn't look like Final Fantasy, imo, even though it may look like Vagrant Story or some other Square game.
An acceptable definition, still prefer my own

Thalstarion

Educated
This a retarded thing to say in a franchise that has done everything from high fantasy to science-fantasy and barely had any consistent thematic thread between games since its origin
The closest thing we can define as "looking like Final Fantasy" is: "some type of fantasy setting with very extravagant aesthetics and some inspiration in Yoshitaka Amano's art"

I understand why no more mainline games are set in it - afterall mainline FF games need to be about killing some kind of god, archdemon or evil cosmic force, something which XII already did

If it doesn't have those iconic chibi sprites or isn't hearkening back to them, it doesn't look like Final Fantasy, imo, even though it may look like Vagrant Story or some other Square game.
Yeah, the Ivalice games are pretty great. I'd like to see more Ivalice games in the vein of Vagrant Story.

You're right, though - it's hard to pin down a specific style for what qualifies as a 'Final Fantasy' game.

FFXVI's issue wasn't the art style. If anything, the character designs are pretty great. Clive's an excellent protagonist in terms of his design but the cast is wasted in no small part due to the silly decision not to have multiple playable characters to switch between.

scytheavatar

Scholar

The music of FFXII already makes it not a FF game, cause FF games have great music and FFXII has fucking garbage music. But yes FFXII is the most CRPG of the FF games and feels more like what you'll get from a Western dev making FF than if Square made it.

I'll go as far as to say FFXII is basically what you get if Josh Sawyer made a FF game. The entire Ivalice is basically an Obsidian setting, generic fantasy on the outside but highly intellectual on the inside. Good setting for writing a novel, bad setting for an RPG cause it's a terrible setting for creating an adventure feeling.

aweigh

Arcane

Yeah, the Ivalice games are pretty great. I'd like to see more Ivalice games in the vein of Vagrant Story.

You're right, though - it's hard to pin down a specific style for what qualifies as a 'Final Fantasy' game.

FFXVI's issue wasn't the art style. If anything, the character designs are pretty great. Clive's an excellent protagonist in terms of his design but the cast is wasted in no small part due to the silly decision not to have multiple playable characters to switch between.

LOVE FF12!

FF12 is a PERFECT example of why FF16 is so mediocre. FF12 is MUCH better written as well.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The wait for a good difficulty mod begins.
The wait is over:

Basic Difficulty
(this mod is very experimental as modding tools are in early build)

This project is to provide simple difficulty improvements to make a more challenging experience
So here's the rundown of basic changes:
  • Enemies deal more damage
  • Enemy health remains untouched
  • More enemies can attack at one time (they don't wait their turn)

Final Fantasy and Ultimaniac modes may be significantly harder, be warned!

There's also a mod that unlocks Final Fantasy Mode and Ultimaniac Mode
Though there's some bugs and side effects to this
Like the author of the quoted mode said, the tools for FF16 are still very primitive

edit: copy pasted the wrong link for the mod lol, fixed now

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
The wait is over:
But is it actually a good difficulty mod? These quick fix damage modifications work alright to make things a little more intense, but I feel like there's more elements that could be tweaked to improve the overall experience; like economy (either higher prices for everything, or decreased currency accrued), healing adjustments, slower progression, and greater attrition. It's actually a little strange to me that these elements are so often overlooked in JRPG difficulty mods, as they are cornerstones of the genre's challenge that all play off of each other.

I appreciate you letting me know, but I might hold out for something a little more extensive.

Last edited:

aweigh

Arcane
Because of how FF16 combat and the rest of the (very bare, very sparse) other game mechanics work, I don't think there's much to be done regarding meaningful balancing mods.

Been progressing more through the game now and am enjoying it but I'm really glad it's going to be a one-off.

aweigh

Arcane
The game is growing on me, it helps that after the first 5-6 hours or so a lot of the exposition calms down, but the dialogue never quite overcomes that "have to explain EVERYTHING several times or else the 10 year old children playing won't understand that Clive has finally overcome his inner demons" stage. It does settle into something palatable, however. Even enjoyable at times.

The game's biggest weakness remains the sub-par combat, lack of party or really any interesting characters besides Clive, and boy are the "side quests" bad. The game is competently made but it feels like it lacks soul. Trying to turn FF into PG-13 Game of Thrones is inherently repellent to me.

All that said I don't regret buying it. I *am* having fun playing it. I just really, really, really hope future FFs aren't like this.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The wait is over:
But is it actually a good difficulty mod? These quick fix damage modifications work alright to make things a little more intense, but I feel like there's more elements that could be tweaked to improve the overall experience; like economy (either higher prices for everything, or decreased currency accrued), healing adjustments, slower progression, and greater attrition. It's actually a little strange to me that these elements are so often overlooked in JRPG difficulty mods, as they are cornerstones of the genre's challenge that all play off of each other.

I appreciate you letting me know, but I might hold out for something a little more extensive.
Since the game is mostly combat, I don't think there will be many modders interested in changing anything that isn't related to combat
Healing adjustment would be cool, but I things that would increase grinding (like tougher economy and slower progression) is something I think most people don't care for - imo the former doesn't seem all that important in this game anyway, but the latter might lessen the supposed problem that Clive gets few new abilities after the time skip

Still, here's a couple of new gameplay mods:
Modular Combat Rebalance (distinct outgoing damage multipliers for Clive, enemies and bosses)
Critical Mode (a custom difficulty to serve as a bridge between FF mode and Ultimaniac mode - i.e. makes FF mode harder)
Reduced Skill Cooldown Balanced
Eikonic Equipment - Gear and Recipe Overhaul (changes Stats of most swords - also includes some changes to item crafting and the game's economy and loot drops)

There's no mod yet that modifies potions effects, but there's this: Decreased Item Cap (like this)

Dedicated_Dark

Liturgist
Game's fun whenever I play it, the combat really works for me. Remapped the controls to match DMC5 Vergil & it was perfect, the Eikons were like weapon switching. But that open ending keeps demotivating me.

So I started playing FF12 instead, really showed how much I miss party mechanics, FF16 would have been even better if Jill & the dog were permanent party members you could kit out & switch around to.

A gambit system ontop of that would be peak. The passive nature of FF12 combat would be fixed & the uselessness of party members not in control would be fixed as well. Maybe oneday.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom