Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Who's worse for making Cutscene: The Game? ? Is it Squenix's Final Fantasy crew or is it Kojima?
Well when I'm watching Kojima cutscenes I'm usually laughing until I puke, but when I'm watching final fantasy cutscenes I'm usually jamming coins under my eyelids to try and wedge them open.

So, I'm gonna have to give FF crew the loss based on the funny > boring clause. You can break the news to them for me buddy.

Perkel

Arcane
FF13 story at least was sensible but told terribly wrong
That's one way of putting it :lol:

I mean if they would just do story in chronological order it would make instant sense. Doing it that way also would be a great way to explain behavior of some characters like Snow which super jarring at start until you see that he is young dude from seaside resort town that just got married and they lived in a place without much struggle.

Instead everything important to the story is told basically in final third of the game when most of people just check out from following it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Is this one good ?
It's the best single-player mainline FF since 12

The bottom line seems to be:
  • top-notch production values; everything from music, sound, va, graphics, artstyle, animations and cinematic varies from quite good to great
  • the main campaign is overall entertaining, has some really high points, but the final act is underwhelming (both because by then you've seen the craziest spectacle moments and the ending itself is somewhat anti-climatic)
  • combat is fine but easy (hopefully a mod that unlocks the higher difficulties and/or increases enemy damage get release in the first week)
  • the setting, despite having a cool allure, is disappointingly underexplored
  • this next point further aggravates the one above - more than 90% of the side content sucks dick, just the most insipid mmo menial task possible, the few "good" side quests are simply mediocre - there also aren't any side activities like mini-games (not even chocobow races, despite the game having rideable chocobows)
  • the DLC's are good, really the only worthwhile side quests in the game (unless you want the best weapon, in which case you have to at least complete all blacksmith's side quests)

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Is this one good ?
It's the best single-player mainline FF since 12

The bottom line seems to be:
  • top-notch production values; everything from music, sound, va, graphics, artstyle, animations and cinematic varies from quite good to great
  • the main campaign is overall entertaining, has some really high points, but the final act is underwhelming (both because by then you've seen the craziest spectacle moments and the ending itself is somewhat anti-climatic)
  • combat is fine but easy (hopefully a mod that unlocks the higher difficulties and/or increases enemy damage get release in the first week)
  • the setting, despite having a cool allure, is disappointingly underexplored
  • this next point further aggravates the one above - more than 90% of the side content sucks dick, just the most insipid mmo menial task possible, the few "good" side quests are simply mediocre - there also aren't any side activities like mini-games (not even chocobow races, despite the game having rideable chocobows)
  • the DLC's are good, really the only worthwhile side quests in the game (unless you want the best weapon, in which case you have to at least complete all blacksmith's side quests)
Add underwhelming open ending to the list as well.

Elttharion

Learned
What I really hated about the side quests isnt even the fact they are basically fetch quests but that all of them have a shitton of unnecessary dialogue. You dont just collect 10 bear arses and deliver them and thats that. No, the npc will give you his life story, then another npc shows up and starts talking to both of you, then your character monologues a bit and the original npc thanks you and you get a 'sword of hitting +1' or some other crap reward. And since everything is voice acted and 'cinematic' these things stretch for a loooong time.

Remember in old games when someone stabbed a NPC and you just got a text window saying 'NPC 2 stabbed NPC 1'? Well here NPC is talking, NPC 2 waltz in, monologues, stabs the guy, the guy lies on the ground while they are fighting and on and on and on. Its just unnecessary bloated and tedious.

scytheavatar

Scholar
What I really hated about the side quests isnt even the fact they are basically fetch quests but that all of them have a shitton of unnecessary dialogue. You dont just collect 10 bear arses and deliver them and thats that. No, the npc will give you his life story, then another npc shows up and starts talking to both of you, then your character monologues a bit and the original npc thanks you and you get a 'sword of hitting +1' or some other crap reward. And since everything is voice acted and 'cinematic' these things stretch for a loooong time.

Remember in old games when someone stabbed a NPC and you just got a text window saying 'NPC 2 stabbed NPC 1'? Well here NPC is talking, NPC 2 waltz in, monologues, stabs the guy, the guy lies on the ground while they are fighting and on and on and on. Its just unnecessary bloated and tedious.

The whole point of doing side quests IS the dialogue, the reward you get for doing them is the world building and information on how the lives of people in the world are changing because of recent events. Rather than something concrete like a cool weapon. That's the signature game loop of FFXIV.

But the paper thin RPG elements (again God of War Ragnarok is more of a RPG than FFXVI) means that there's no reason for you to be immerse in the setting and feel like you are part of the world. Because of it these NPC dialogues end up being noise.

Elttharion

Learned

The whole point of doing side quests IS the dialogue, the reward you get for doing them is the world building and information on how the lives of people in the world are changing because of recent events. Rather than something concrete like a cool weapon. That's the signature game loop of FFXIV.

But the paper thin RPG elements (again God of War Ragnarok is more of a RPG than FFXVI) means that there's no reason for you to be immerse in the setting and feel like you are part of the world. Because of it these NPC dialogues end up being noise.
Never played FF14 so cant comment on how they do it there. The problem for me is that the world they were building was not that interesting to justify all that dialogue.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Squandered Potential: The Game. They had so many opportunities and a lot of talented people (particularly the combat designer) on the team, but they decided to go safe, then wondered why everyone received it so cooly. And then they proceeded to double down and refused to fix the most glaring issues when they got their second chance with a PC release! Fuck FFXIV, Yoshi-P, and his milquetoast approach to game design.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Squandered Potential: The Game. They had so many opportunities and a lot of talented people (particularly the combat designer) on the team, but they decided to go safe, then wondered why everyone received it so cooly. And then they proceeded to double down and refused to fix the most glaring issues when they got their second chance with a PC release! Fuck FFXIV, Yoshi-P, and his milquetoast approach to game design.

Sounds like the story of every Final Fantasy since VIII. Arguably longer. :lol:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Somewhere out there is the alternate timeline where they kept building on the job system and FF16 is a turn based game with dozens of fleshed out jobs with tons of interactions and the world is filled with awesome sidequests and secrets.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Somewhere out there is the alternate timeline where they kept building on the job system and FF16 is a turn based game with dozens of fleshed out jobs with tons of interactions and the world is filled with awesome sidequests and secrets.

Now you're just being cruel.

Thalstarion

Literate
Yoshi-P just lacks talent and bought into the weird cult that built up around him 'saving' FFXIV.

I actually think he did a decent job with that, though it was over a decade ago and he's clinging to it as his primary success story despite zero innovation ever since.

All he does is copy what other games are doing or did but with far less effort and depth. FFXVI had a lot of potential but the guy clearly despises RPG's. There's so few RPG elements in either FFXIV or FFXVI. No minigames in the latter, either.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

If this is true then Yoshi P is a complete dumbass. I have never met a single MMO player who gave 2 shits about the game's lore or story. When I've played MMOs every other player skips dialogue, fires through the cutscenes, blows past the NPCs and kills, loots, and levels. That's it.

I can't think of a single side quest in a single CRPG EVER that I have given a shit about the characters, story, or world. it's 100% gimme the XP/items completionism. You do sidequests because in western RPGs that's where the extra XP is. Period.

There were only a few sidequests in FF14 that I thought were okay (not counting the ones with cutscenes like Hildibrand or trial questlines and so on, as in the regular quests you see walking around zones). The Convictory in Western Coerthas where you have those commoners and low ranking nobles or 3rd or 4th sons of nobles who were sitting around a campfire in the cold waiting for dragons to come by so they could kill them and return to Ishgard with a higher standing. The Great Serpent of Ronka sidequestline in Rak'tika was a little funny. The one in Dawntrail where the Hanuhanu gaslight the dispirited new guard into making him more enthusiastic. But most sidequestlines I have forgotten, and I struggle to recall any one off sidequests. Maybe the one in Ill Mheg where you take fairies to a spot and they seemingly turned into beavers, that was a little weird.

S.torch

Liturgist
Incredible how fast this game was forgotten. Some people here naively believed all the PR bullshit about mature narratives and returning to the roots of the genre.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

FF IX is good you twat

mediocrepoet

Patron
Is this one good ? Because the last one was even more retarded than 13 which everyone hated (though i had soft spot for pulse part of it).
Its a very flawed game, the highs are very high and the lows are very very low. I liked it far more than the 13 trilogy and 15 but I still think its a solid 3/5 game with some 5/5 moments. It also has one of the best demos I ever played so expect a drop in quality once you start the actual game. The side quests are overwritten and tedious and the combat gets far too easy and repetitive. Voice acting is fantastic, the boss battles are great in terms of cinematics (tho very much on the easy side) and there are some great characters in the game. Story takes a nosedive near the end and the ending was horrendous. I wouldnt pay full price for it, 30 bucks for the complete edition would be my limit.

While I'm sure this is true and likely would be my perspective too playing the full game, it's a real bummer.

I finally got around to playing the demo tonight and it really is quite good. There are flaws like the cutscene-itis that plagues many JRPGs and the really long interactive cutscene Space Harrier sequences, but despite that it's reasonably compelling and I liked it far more than I thought I would.

cruel

Cipher
This:

the highs are very high and the lows are very very low

Is possibly the best short description of the game you can get. Boss fights are done extremely well and very memorable, some of them make you wonder how they were able to do it as a game, not a cutscene. Music is great, characters are cool, combat is fun (although too easy), zero animu bullshit or lolis etc.. But, there are times when you're going through those shitty side quests and wonder what went wrong with your life that made you do them. It's also not so obvious which ones can be skipped - some of them reward you with something meaningful (upgrade materials, more healing etc.).

Still, I liked the game. Had much more fun playing this than Infinite Wealth or new Zelda (different genres, but gives some context about game not being shit). Just take a deep breath with some of the side quests and you should be fine. Much better product that the abomination called FF XV.

Last edited:

KeAShizuku

Educated
FF16 continues the westernisation trend. Less Game of Thrones more anime girls please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom