Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elttharion

Learned
Is this one good ? Because the last one was even more retarded than 13 which everyone hated (though i had soft spot for pulse part of it).
Its a very flawed game, the highs are very high and the lows are very very low. I liked it far more than the 13 trilogy and 15 but I still think its a solid 3/5 game with some 5/5 moments. It also has one of the best demos I ever played so expect a drop in quality once you start the actual game. The side quests are overwritten and tedious and the combat gets far too easy and repetitive. Voice acting is fantastic, the boss battles are great in terms of cinematics (tho very much on the easy side) and there are some great characters in the game. Story takes a nosedive near the end and the ending was horrendous. I wouldnt pay full price for it, 30 bucks for the complete edition would be my limit.

Speaking of which, I still need to play the second DLC. Might borrow a PS5 to finally finish the game and check if they changed anything for the ending.

Forgot to say the OST is fantastic.

My favorite track in the game, slight demo spoilers:

ADL

Prophet
I'm enjoying the tone of this game so much more than previous Final Fantasy games I've played. Not gonna complete the demo, unless there's a way to transfer progress. Demo progress can be carried over. Still gonna wait for a complete playthrough.
:d1p:
Also this seems to have DirectStorage support on PC. I installed on my NVMe and going from menu into game is a fraction of a second.

Thalstarion

Literate
The hatred this game gets from seasoned Final Faggotry fans suggests this might finally be a good FF game.

This game is hated by non fans too, the only ones who love it are members of the Yoshi-P cult.
Yeah.

It's a major bait and switch. Yoshi-P pulled the same trick twice in regards to promising an experience similar to the Ivalice games with a more mature tone for both FFXIV and FFXVI. Both games rapidly devolve into the most infantile, preachy and subversive slop you can imagine. It has many tiresome tropes wrapped up in a single package, very little exploration and most enemies can be stunlocked with regular attacks. The boss fights are overly cinematic and cool the first time but a slog to get through afterwards.

There's some decent characters but they lack in screen time. Everything revolves around Clive, so nobody else has any real agency. The ones who do not revolve around Clive and have their own agenda are predictably killed off (unlike in previous titles, where you would generally have an antagonist and a handful of characters not deeply tied exclusively to the protagonist survive the events of the game).

The game starts out with a very intriguing prologue and then doesn't pick up many of those plot points until much later or just abandons them outright. I suspect major rewrites took place at some point during the game's development.

Only having a single playable character is also bizarre.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
13 was bad, but I beat it. 15 was worse, and I only played it via PS+. Gave up about eight hours in. The 16 demo was not for me, and I have no desire to ever play the full thing.

Try the demo before buying/pirating.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
The 16 demo was not for me, and I have no desire to ever play the full thing.
What turned you off of it the most?

So did they add a hard difficulty mode to the PC version? The combat looks like it'd be some good shit if it actually offered a challenge. If not, I guess I'll wait and see if a difficulty mod is released down the line. So strange to me they squandered such potential by making it so easy and not even offering the option to bump up the difficulty.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The 16 demo was not for me, and I have no desire to ever play the full thing.
What turned you off of it the most?

So did they add a hard difficulty mode to the PC version? The combat looks like it'd be some good shit if it actually offered a challenge. If not, I guess I'll wait and see if a difficulty mod is released down the line. So strange to me they squandered such potential by making it so easy.
It's more of an action (role playing) game, and absolutely not what I want from the series. The demo was a linear affair, with action combat, and it felt more like playing something like a character action game. Story could be interesting, I'm not sure.
Elemental effects have absolutely no bearing on the damage you make to an enemy, it felt more "cosmetic" than anything. It was more about what type of attacks and play style do I enjoy?

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Ah, yeah. Turn-based FF has been dead for a long time. I guess I've just made peace with that. I don't really look at any FF past 12 as an actual Final Fantasy, so I suppose that's why. I've never played any of the 13s or 15, so I've been ambivalent to the modern numbered titles for awhile. 16 sparked my interest not as a FF, but as a fantasy action game with RPG elements, which I think it could be good at if it utilized the full potential of the combat by offering a challenge that encouraged the player to really explore it and engage with the mechanics.

My guess is it would have been received better if it had offered that challenge and had a simultaneous PC release on top of it.

lametta

Educated
tried the demo. liked the second part of the demo more.

Questions:
Does the combat evolve much more or do you rotate between 3 forms?

Is the story a little but GoT like brutal?

The ifrit part is made out to be a plottwist but how is it a plottwist if it's so obvious?

No spoilers please....

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Is this one good ? Because the last one was even more retarded than 13 which everyone hated (though i had soft spot for pulse part of it).
It's a 60 hour action game with one weapon type and one single combo you will spam in every fight. That and a couple of extra attacks (dash attack, charge attack) that make no difference tactically.

Besides that there are a bunch of special moves like Runic Attacks in the new God of War. You can equip six at a time but it takes forever to get any of the good ones, and then the game becomes spamming the moves between cooldowns. The only 'builds' involves figuring out a decent special move rotation, and there are so few truly powerful ones it's obvious.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Nope that's it. You only get the one combo for the entire game. Each Eikon adds three new special moves but you can only equip six at a time, and all of them except for the last couple Eikons are trash.

It's like GoT but gayer.

Thalstarion

Literate
You get more abilities but the vast majority of enemies die very easily to even basic attacks. Boss fights are a bit more engaging (especially the none Eikon fights as they're constantly being interrupted by cinematics). There's some side quests that unlock optional 'boss fights' with a bit of bite to them, though unfortunately they're locked behind generic fetch quests.
Without spoilers, I would consider it to be a 'safe edgy' version of Game of Thrones. Certain characters are very heavily inspired by one or more GoT characters and there's some dark moments but some of the better, darker plot beats are hidden away in optional side quests later on in the game.
The ifrit part is made out to be a plottwist but how is it a plottwist if it's so obvious?
Honestly most of the twists aren't terribly exciting and are very 'by the numbers'. Lots of broken aesops, protagonist centered morality and fake outs. Even the darker stuff can, at times, border on parody due to how over the top it is.

The better stuff is hidden behind side quests. One's mileage may vary though. It's very much a Yoshi-P game and he tends to bring about a situation where the antagonists and secondary protagonists are much more engaging, charming and sympathetic than the supposed 'heroes of the story'.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty flawed and divisive game. Not the worst I've ever played but certainly far from the best.

Perkel

Arcane
Because the last one was even more retarded than 13 which everyone hated
C'mon 15 was pretty fun as a lazy sundays boyband roadtrip, 13 was garbage.

No it was gay simulator 2015 with bunch of unlikable characters in story that made no fucking sense doing non sensical stuff.
FF13 story at least was sensible but told terribly wrong (broken chronological order) but at least pulse part of it (3rd part of the game) was actually fun to play.

Yosharian

Arcane
The gameplay was also shit. 7R had the worst storytelling but at least the gameplay was fun as hell. 15's gameplay made me want throw myself off a tall building

Tyrr

Liturgist
Because the last one was even more retarded than 13 which everyone hated
C'mon 15 was pretty fun as a lazy sundays boyband roadtrip, 13 was garbage.

No it was gay simulator 2015 with bunch of unlikable characters in story that made no fucking sense doing non sensical stuff.
FF13 story at least was sensible but told terribly wrong (broken chronological order) but at least pulse part of it (3rd part of the game) was actually fun to play.
Unlike FF15, you also didn't also had to watch a movie and an anime to get FF13's story. And don't forget the immersion breaking Cup Noodles product placement.

The party in FF15 also wasn't just men, they went out their way to get all the gay stereotypes: The sissy, the bare chested muscular type, the silent smart one, etc. FF15 was a disgusting game.

scytheavatar

Scholar

GOT crashed and burned because it was trying to set up too many plot threads and in the end there's simply no way to resolve them in a satisfying way. FFXVI's writing is more comparable to The Last Jedi, basically every plot thread the game seemed to be setting up is constantly tore down and in the end you have a super generic fight a god plot that is a JRPG cliche.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Ah, yeah. Turn-based FF has been dead for a long time. I guess I've just made peace with that. I don't really look at any FF past 12 as an actual Final Fantasy, so I suppose that's why. I've never played any of the 13s or 15, so I've been ambivalent to the modern numbered titles for awhile. 16 sparked my interest not as a FF, but as a fantasy action game with RPG elements, which I think it could be good at if it utilized the full potential of the combat by offering a challenge that encouraged the player to really explore it and engage with the mechanics.

My guess is it would have been received better if it had offered that challenge and had a simultaneous PC release on top of it.

The sad thing is that you just need to look at the Xenoblade games to see what a modern FF with real time combat should be like. The Xenoblade games are a better bearer of the FF torch than any of the FF games post FFX. Heck FFXIV ARR was made by people who seemed to love FF games and yet somehow the same people made a game that felt like they hate the series and want nothing to do with its past.

Thalstarion

Literate
Heck FFXIV ARR was made by people who seemed to love FF games and yet somehow the same people made a game that felt like they hate the series and want nothing to do with its past.
A lot of the employees responsible for the tone, art style and atmosphere of FFXIV: ARR left Square Enix and went to work on the Granblue games. You can really see a lot of their influence in Granblue Fantasy: Relink.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Heck FFXIV ARR was made by people who seemed to love FF games and yet somehow the same people made a game that felt like they hate the series and want nothing to do with its past.
A lot of the employees responsible for the tone, art style and atmosphere of FFXIV: ARR left Square Enix and went to work on the Granblue games. You can really see a lot of their influence in Granblue Fantasy: Relink.

Come think of it, Relink is a better modern day FF game than FFXVI too.

Thalstarion

Literate
Come think of it, Relink is a better modern day FF game than FFXVI too.
Yeah, it renewed my faith in the genre as a whole.

I think it comes down to a lack of spite in the narrative. Probably unsurprising given my avatar but a solid JRPG to me has memorable antagonists and rivals who 'come around' by the end of the game and are not unceremoniously killed off.

Story aside, the combat is pretty fun too and having more than one character to choose from is great. I'm hoping it gets an expansion since it supposedly sold much better than expected.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Bunch of coomers in this thread can't handle a game without being able to dress up their female characters. Brainwashed npc's see faggotry everywhere they look. Game can't even have a group of bros without being labled homosexual. Bunch of single mother raised westoid weirdos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom