Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You may want to check out OpenXcom, which just relased a basically complete 0.9 build. Haven't played it yet but I'm pretty sure they fixed that issue among others.

Yeah this is the best Xcom news since the launch of TFTD. A fantastic project. Now there's no reason whatsoever to even want to play Xcom:EU, unless you absolutely crave that ugly U3 engine.

Lol, I love how after 20 years people still pump so much work and energy in this game (and now that OpenXcom is fully moddable fans are already going crazy with mods) and nobody gives a shit about that new Firaxis turd six months after release :incline:

baturinsky

Arcane
I actually liked XCom. 2EU system feels way better than 200eu. So, core is good. But there are a lot of small things that taint experience, especially on difficulty above Normal. Mostly, unintuitive cover system and too random damage. No matter how clever you play, some floater can just fly through your cover fire and one-shot your sniper, thanks to a row of (un)lucky rolls. And it hurts way more than in X-Com, because with 6-people limit you can't just send forward expendables.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
I love how modern gaming technology leads to small and smaller teams. Both in RPGs and strategy games. Maybe because every soldier has to be 'unique' and modeled/textured down to the pimple or nose hair, which is what gaymers demand nowadays, maybe developers just don't have a clue

Also happening in simulation, environments getting smaller like latest 'Sim City'

Garm

Learned
I love how modern gaming technology leads to small and smaller teams. Both in RPGs and strategy games. Maybe because every soldier has to be 'unique' and modeled/textured down to the pimple or nose hair, which is what gaymers demand nowadays, maybe developers just don't have a clue

Also happening in simulation, environments getting smaller like latest 'Sim City'

Everything's getting smaller because devs are focusing on consoles as the primary platform and using engines which were never designed to feature that many characters on screen at once. Couple the engine choice with the limited power of consoles and you're left with linear as fuck games with no actual content because they wasted all the resources on the background.

As for Sim City, that was just a case of trying to hook in more casual gamers into a series.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I actually liked XCom. 2EU system feels way better than 200eu. So, core is good. But there are a lot of small things that taint experience, especially on difficulty above Normal. Mostly, unintuitive cover system and too random damage. No matter how clever you play, some floater can just fly through your cover fire and one-shot your sniper, thanks to a row of (un)lucky rolls. And it hurts way more than in X-Com, because with 6-people limit you can't just send forward expendables.

:decline::decline::decline::decline:

Hellraiser

Arcane
The biggest ball-buster has to be the lack of random maps and retarded alien-spawning triggers, which was probably the result of firaxis not being able to code in maphack-less AI. In the future games get dumber and simpler, the punks were sure right when they said we had "no future".

Dubstep! Wub wub wub pew pew desu ex soundtrack sounds wub wub wbu pew pew wub wub DROP wub wub SAVE TEH PLANET wub wub wub peeeeewwwww ka-booom!

A WINRAR IS YOU

Multi-headed Cow

Unless it's DLC that adds random maps and time on the geoscape matching with time on the tactical map and removes/neuters the scripted maps then I'll wait for a 50-75% off sale. As much as I enjoyed Xcom the recycled maps and scripted maps ruin it. I reach a point where if I have to do one more goddamn save the VIP map with exclusively thin men or one more goddamn crashed UFO in the exact same configuration as every other crashed UFO I'll die. I even enjoyed basically all the rest of the popamole 2 move system and base management.

Enemy Within sounds kinda like Terror from the Deep, though. Probably easier for them to just add some water filters over their existing maps and replace all those exploding cars with exploding coral and call it a day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Enemy Within"? Might be some kind of zombie/body snatcher thing?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
No, I'm guessing they're going to fight another human faction.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Now let's hope Mr. Jake Solomon got clearance to do a better game, or was just forced to do more of the same... guy has a good heart, just bad overlords.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They could still do a good gamer with it, but it's true that it's a shitty engine that causes massive problems with multi-level areas and shooting from one floor to another... even the devs admitted it.

but it's true that it's a shitty engine that causes massive problems with multi-level areas and shooting from one floor to another... even the devs admitted it.
That's... not really a problem with the engine itself (which, by the way, is the fucking common Unreal Engine that virtually everyone uses), more with how they coded those functions.
Their camera sucks, no doubt about it, but that's hardly because of technical limitations with the engine.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Now let's hope Mr. Jake Solomon got clearance to do a better game, or was just forced to do more of the same... guy has a good heart, just bad overlords.

One can hope. He really does have his heart in the right place. You can tell in the interviews. He's an old school X-Com guy. It was hilarious/sad watching him get all excited about showing the other devs the original and talking about how brutal/great it was. He was genuinely happy, and they just looked lost. Sadly that type of game doesn't sell enough these days. Maybe with the pretty big success that the remake has been financially, they have more of a license to expand.

Psquit

Arcane
its going to be shit anyway... might as well forget that the game even existed in the first place. No cydonia, no buy.

Edit: Also the fucking bullshit ending. No deform mutant slaves and shit... pfff.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It wasn't entirely shit, but I'm just not enjoying the 2 phase movement system. Since combat is the majority of the game, I decided not to invest a lot of time to finish it.
Nice try, but no dice. AP system is still the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom