Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Wizardry 8

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Dorateen

Arcane
Sure. What's your party's motivation for chasing the Dark Savant? I imported the end game from Crusaders, so for me it was personal.

Deleted Member 16721

Another piece of advice I can give you - whenever you meet a new npc, talk to him on every subject that might be relevant to your current goal, or else you may find yourself stuck at some point, not knowing where to go and what to do next. It may be tempting to resort to the written walkthroughs/let's plays in such cases, but please - don't. Try to figure out everything on your own first, and you will be rewarded. The game is not that difficult.

I envy you, Fluent. :negative:

I never use walkthroughs unless I've been stumped for over two hours. Thanks for the tips. I'm really enjoying it, too. It gives me the feeling that I have found the perfect dungeon crawler RPG, like I don't need another one. Great stuff.

Deleted Member 16721

Sure. What's your party's motivation for chasing the Dark Savant? I imported the end game from Crusaders, so for me it was personal.

Right now Dorateen our motivation is figuring out where we are and what's going on. It's more of a 'survive in a dangerous world 'type of thing so far.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Not being able to continue training skills that aren't shared by both classes isn't the only reason not to multi-class in W8 - I'm sure some people are already thinking of abusing the system by maxing out certain skills like Magic before switching to a new one through grinding (such as casting Knock Knock at the Bank Vault repeatedly) but Caster Level is a huge factor in casting anything outside of buffs, which explains why the best hybrids use their spells for utility rather than offense, since that 4 level penalty just sets them too far behind.

Thus the only limited class skill worth maxing before switch is Stealth, but it's also very tedious and mostly only used for Solo runs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Magic Screen - without it you're dead meat.

I have it on good authority that this is FAKE NEWS!

You can make do just as well with element shield + soul shield.

Black

Arcane
But MS is more convenient since you can cast it outside of combat.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Even more so, you actually want to cast both at some points of the game. Unless you have good equipment, you won't top your resists so you want both MS and Soul Shield active when fighting Rynjin for example. It saves your butt with stuff like Death spells in Cathedral too. Some races also have some resists at low (like lizardmen and their Mental) so ideally - have both; and check if your resists are maxed with your shields, if not - top with rings and such as well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
For the very few times where you really want to have your ass covered with double magic prot spells - that's what scrolls are for. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember using them approximately three times in the entire oriental smackdown playthrough, and one of that was indeed the cathedral.

Incendax

Augur
gimmick parties force you to employ measures you'd never have considered in the past
Yep. Years after I beat the game the first time, I re-installed the game and a party that was:
2x Mook Fighter.
4x Bards.

It forced some rather strange item choices and consumable use.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
that's what scrolls are for
You actually USE consumables?
My last playthrough I had an Alchemist and a Ninja. The Ninja was typically underwhelming in the mid-game, but once I discovered the amazing ease with which the Alchemist could churn out Pandemonium Powders, he went on permanent bomb squad duty, lobbing Powders literally every single round. It was delightful, I tell you.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Anyone played one-race parties? like you have only Faeries, but of course consisting of Faerie fighters and wizards etc? Not sure if worthwhile though...

Shadenuat

Arcane
Overencumbrance and lack of good classes and lack of weapons for fairies would be a problem. Yeah you can take a few casters, one fairy ninja with cane of corprus, one with returning shuriken... maybe a monk? thiaf? what else?

If you're going to do it, 6 dwarves is at least noble and memetical. Or all-mook armed with Cloud Guts swords.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
It is a good idea though.

Wizard gives you important buffs.
Cleric gives as much, mainly Magic Screen - without it you're dead meat.
Alchemist allows mixing potions.
Psionic allows Haste & gives fun reading minds.

Of course Gadgeteer & Bard can mimic some of these effects, but newbie won't know where to find all the correct stuff at correct time.

Psi also has Eye for an Eye, which reflects spells back at enemies. Absolutely awesome in late game when armies of enemies are launching insta-death spells at you. Gadgeteer can make a magic mirror thing which has the same effect, but it has limited charges.

Deleted Member 16721

So this Gregor is impossible. I've died 8 times already and can't seem to win. Any tips here? I am stuck because the button on the elevator is broken so I can't go back down to explore more and I'm stuck with the Gregor blocking the only way to go. I also don't have any Resurrection Dust or whatever and basically have no items that can really help. My lute doesn't seem to put it to sleep and other spells rarely work, they either fizzle or have no effect (paralyze, sleep, etc.). What do man, what do.

Oh, and I killed it once but had a guy die and decided to reload. Might have been a bad move. :( Can I resurrect a dead dude around these parts?

Or should I do the dreaded "start over and re-roll your party and do it right this time you goof"?

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerKnee

Arcane
I played an All-Fairy Fighter gimmick once. Didn't complete it, got a bit tedious.

Overencumbrance is actually not a problem because no one will be carrying Heavy Armor since they can't wear it anyway - maybe if you had a party full of ammo users it would be an issue.

I imagine the best party comp for this party is probably spellcaster heavy. Fairies are a bit of a challenge race because their advantages don't outweight their disadvantages (not being able to wear most equipment) sadly.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I also don't have any Resurrection Dust or whatever and basically have no items that can really help.

How the hell. I'm p. sure you always start with at least 1 rez powder, be it in the starting inventory or the chest at the crash site. Or maybe the pagoda on the hill next to the crash site - you went there, didn't you?

Also, if you don't have any other useful items at this point, odds are you aren't scouting. You should take a stroll around the parts you've been to again with search on.

Or should I do the dreaded "start over and re-roll your party and do it right this time you goof"?

It doesn't seem like there's anything particularly wrong with your party - on paper at least - so all you need to do is the dreaded l2p.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I also don't have any Resurrection Dust or whatever and basically have no items that can really help.

How the hell. I'm p. sure you always start with at least 1 rez powder, be it in the starting inventory or the chest at the crash site. Or maybe the pagoda on the hill next to the crash site - you went there, didn't you?
It's in the waterfall, if I remember correctly. Follow the river downstream.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Fluent, you could lower the difficulty to Novice. I believe your characters miss less often then.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
That's what happens when you play without a ranger. :P

I went for Lunastralis again replacing the monk faerie by a fae mage, much better.
The crusher crab on the monastery first floor was a big problem with the previous party (lvl 4 against the lvl 8 crusher crab), this time, with a lvl 5 party, the ranger insta killed him (using a short bow and regular arrows), i love the ranger.

Travelled to Arnika, so far, the lunastralis mod didn't change much besides throwing tazers at you like there is no tomorrow (3 shots modern weapons 1-4 or 1-5 dmhg with 1% kill and +5 ranged weapons).

Deleted Member 16721

Putting the game on Novice helped, I killed the Gregor and was able to continue the aventure back on Normal difficulty. Cool stuff. :)

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
in before Fluent meeting a pack of 8 crusher crabs waiting right at the gate leading out of the monastery

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom