Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with downbeat endings

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The vast majority of games make you the conquering hero by the conclusion. But what if that's not the case? Might be meaningless if the game has C&C and you pick the wrong ending, but what are some games you liked with downbeat endings? I recently completely Dying Light and its expansion The Following and though my character manages to get the vials of serum that save the human race at the end, I turn into a hideous mother-thing with necrotic claws for hands and a face and jaw that's literally falling off and that even the predator's mother couldn't find it in her heart to love. I don't think you can choose any other ending.

In Fay Cry 3, you can choose to rescue your boring friends or enjoy a selfish but very nice erotic interlude with the story's bad girl. Of course you already know what I chose. I am in the act of coitus with her and she stabs me to death with a large hunting knife. I had no complaints, no regrets, and it remains one of the more memorable endings in any game for me.

In Fallout, I played so poorly and unscrupulously and was such a bastard during my first play-through that I end up kicked out of the vault and left to dejectedly wander the wasteland, practically naked, presumably to soon die a lonely death where not even the carrion eaters will touch my irradiated corpse. I learned the very definition of C&C with this game

What are some of your favorite downbeat game endings?

Norfleet

In Fay Cry 3, you can choose to rescue your boring friends or enjoy a selfish but very nice erotic interlude with the story's bad girl. Of course you already know what I chose. I am in the act of coitus with her and she stabs me to death with a large hunting knife.
Sounds like your character doesn't know how to play. That's how it ALWAYS is with the wife, you gotta watch out, when you get too slow you'll be killed and eaten.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Knowing that the ending is downbeat is already a spoiler. Why would you want that?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think all the endings in Dead State are downbeat.
No cure and all of them have you getting left behind, IIRC. Even the best ending with the military evacuation has you forcibly conscripted.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Primordia. Well it has 6 or 7 endings I think and I haven't actually seen them all. But I am pretty sure they are all either bittersweet or depressing.

Not all of them, but that's all you're getting from me.

The problem with downbeat endings is that so many games (indie games in particular) are using them to make themselves appear to be relevant... but completely fail in the process and only make things worse as they leave the player feeling like they wasted their time. I'm sure you can all think of at least one title where this is the case, but off the top of my head I can name a few examples like Yume Nikki (which actually holds its own despite the ending), the recently-released REDO! and possibly MO: Astray.

Alphons

Cipher
In Fallout Resurrection you either go off into the Wastes with your 10mm to shoot yourself when you start rotting or if you join Rebirth you get killed by Empire trooper during the Albuquerque Slaughter.

On my first playthrough I also made some pretty naive choices:
-I've made a deal between Crimson Caravan and New Hope, so town flourished.
But I also left Julian alive in Rat Hole, who didn't want to leave his mercs without a job, so he formed a raider crew, tracked the caravans and slaughtered everyone in New Hope.

-I've listened to the pleas of Sedit ghouls and wiped out Mexicans in Lost Town. Without their protection local dealer got killed and Lost Town was consumed by desert.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
t I end up kicked out of the vault and left to dejectedly wander the wasteland
That is the ending of Fallout 1, though.

Okay, that's interesting because I assumed the game had multiple endings depending on your C&C. But there's only one ending??? I'm a little disappointed to hear this.
There is a slightly alternate ending if you choose to initiate combat as the overseer is walking away and blast him. But the end result is still you walking off into the wasteland alone. It's the perfect ending, there only needs to be the one.

vota DC

Augur
Ogre battle is interesting because best ending isn't truly the best for you character, the mid endings are great.
The lawful heir to throne can be a follower if you find him and recruit, else is just a scavenger that will pop after you destroyed the dictatorship and take the power for himself.

RECRUIT HEIR TO THRONE
-Perfect ending----->You will go in a kamikaze/very dangerous mission against Rodisti people after two of your companions are MIA. Heir become king.
-Almost perfect ending--->You become king. Heir is happy because he avenged his parents and now is just the captain of your guards.
-Half perfect ending---->You are exiled
-Bad ending with heir recruited----> You are the new general and expanded the land conquering for the king.

DON'T RECRUIT HEIR TO THRONE
-Decent reputation ending--->You are murdered by one of your commanders just after the final battle.
-High charisma but low everything else ending---->You become a living god ruling the old empire and forge a new era crushing the Rodisti people
-Worst ending--->You are the new king, everyone says you are worse than the dictator you deposed....in least of a year a popular rebellion led by the heir destroy you

Age of Wonders with Talic has the same feeling. While the butthurt can be predictable if you side with Highmen (those guys make no mistery that they just want to pave the way to human domination) or Undead you get a downbeat ending even if you stay loyal to Dark Elves.....like vultures your "dead" allies show again after you won the war for them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
EZel7Jg.png

Grimoire, because we'll have to wait another two decades to continue with the sequel.

Worth it though.

kA3m1cp.png

Drakengard 1 & 3 are the kings.

Endings A are, kind of, good ones but every another hidden ending brings up some horrible shit, much worse than in the previous one.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Blood Omen 1's canon ending is Kain saying, "fuck all y'all" and ending human civilization leaving Nosgoth as a desolate wasteland.

Tecmo's Deception has an ending where you help Satan successfully cross into the world so he can end everything ever.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Mafia, though it's the perfect ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom