Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you would NEVER play just seeing the cover art alone

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Seriously if you see something like this
MS5qcGc_bzJwdm03

And don't instantly feel embarrassed for even looking at it, you should probably be kept away from small children and animals.

Alex

Arcane
pretty much ALL the games for sega master system.

I rather liked the graph paper aesthetic they had going. Other than that, some were pretty ugly, but most seemed ok to me.

Am I the only one who thinks this cover is cool?

I think it's cool if you know the background of that picture and the game. But as a kid seeing it at a shelf I would not be inclined to buy it.

I genuinely like the cover. Nice color scheme, dark blue and dark orange fit well together. Exudes a mysterious atmosphere and makes me wonder what it's about. Definitely more intriguing than most "face dude" covers where the dude is way more generic and the background is non-existent.

That cover has a huge problem going against it, namely, dreadlocks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I didn't like the Torment cover either but what made me buy the game were the screenshots of the game in the back.

Neuromancer

Augur
I didn't like the Torment cover either but what made me buy the game were the screenshots of the game in the back.
Yes, but for this to happen, the cover had to draw you in enough to actually pick up the game box and look at the back side.

If you just skim over the many titles of the shelf and not pick up each box, you'll probably never see the screenshots.
So, the cover is important

Neuromancer

Augur
The cover for Toonstruck was also very misleading:
124850-toonstruck-dos-front-cover.jpg

Judging by the cover, you might think of a Horror or a weird SM game.
In reality it is a funny and zany comic adventure game starring Christopher Lloyd, who was filmed and then inserted into the "comic world"

I remember seeing the box as a child in some shop, at the time it came out, but ignoring it.
The game was a flop for Virgin and IMO, the cover was partly responsible for this, because it alienated the target group.

Humanophage

Arcane
Anything with anime on it, especially if it is this paedo style.
Seriously if you see something like this
MS5qcGc_bzJwdm03

And don't instantly feel embarrassed for even looking at it, you should probably be kept away from small children and animals.

Would overcome the disgust if I heard it was very good. But so far, it never seems to happen. Well, maybe Voidspire Tactics and Princess Maker 2. Even if the game is solid, it is filled with unbearably abundant cringe cutscenes like Troubleshooter. I assume Elminage Gothic and the like are not bad.

Radiane

Cipher
One could argue whether this game was a milestone or not, but the cover art is just fugly:

Edit: Seems like the picture isn´t loading for everyone, don´t know why, it´s the Baldur´s Gate cover with that smiling skull

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yes, but for this to happen, the cover had to draw you in enough to actually pick up the game box and look at the back side.

If you just skim over the many titles of the shelf and not pick up each box, you'll probably never see the screenshots.
So, the cover is important

To be honest, that cover did draw me in, but mostly in the sense it made me curious by virtue of being so odd.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
He probably knew the dev that made the game.

I didn't actually.

My first computer RPG was Baldur's Gate. I didn't know anything about Black Isle or Fallout (which i played AFTER Baldur's Gate or Torment, heh).

What i expected actually was something akin to an adventure game whose name now escapes me. It was your typical point and click adventure with 90s 3D graphics whose setting was actually kind of similar to Sigil (in terms of aesthetics). When i picked up the box of Torment i actually expected something similar to that.

I'm actually kinda curious now to remember what game that was but fuck me if i can remember the name.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haha, so i went to look at 90s adventures and scrolled through the list until i recognized the name:

I remember almost nothing from this game other than the fact i loved it then.

The Decline

Arcane
Who actually bought games based solely on cover art and/or back side? I always read previews and reviews before deciding to pick up a game.

*Edit*
Or word of mouth.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
To be fair, the poor bastard tasked with making the cover had something like 24 hours to make it and only the vaguest idea about the game itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom