Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
This is Deus Ex. Anything that isn't unavoidably scripted to enter the combat state can be snuck past with some simple AI manipulation. Though that makes it sound easy, which it isn't compared to any modern stealth game.

Ash

Arcane
None whatsoever. Weapon mods and skills only influence base accuracy. Negative modifiers from damaged body parts are calculated after base accuracy is. Laser mod overrides everything and always provides 100% accuracy providing it is on.

Black

Arcane
Blog time: I was in the Paris cafe talking to the couple about their son joining MJ12. As soon as the father started his "he's the one who wanted to be a soldier" line I also heard robotic "target acquired".
Half a second after the dialogue ended the couple and I were gibbed by military mech's rockets.:dance:

Ash

Arcane
This stuff was mentioned in the v9.0 Announcement.

Good to post it again anyway for those that missed it.
you can no longer power-throw corpses with the strength augmentation and splat them up walls like tomatoes for comical effect.
This startled me more then once when I accidentally pressed left instead of right click.

The way I wrote that makes it appear as if I made corpses splat up walls purely for comical effect. I didn't. It was done because there is no ragdoll physics and skeletal meshes, so insta-gibbing best hid the fact. Now you just can't power-throw a corpse at all, it defaults to normal throw.

Everything else being power-thrown is damn near perfect though, as this .gif shows:

84ba8c_441184569a3e4d80a103fd7eae0bd93a~mv2.gif

So it would be a shame to let a very small inconsistency get in the way of that.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Yikes. I remember seeing a friend play DX on PS2 back in the day, but I don't remember it looking this bad.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This stuff was mentioned in the v9.0 Announcement.

Good to post it again anyway for those that missed it.
you can no longer power-throw corpses with the strength augmentation and splat them up walls like tomatoes for comical effect.
This startled me more then once when I accidentally pressed left instead of right click.

The way I wrote that makes it appear as if I made corpses splat up walls purely for comical effect. I didn't. It was done because there is no ragdoll physics and skeletal meshes, so insta-gibbing best hid the fact. Now you just can't power-throw a corpse at all, it defaults to normal throw.

Everything else being power-thrown is damn near perfect though, as this .gif shows:

84ba8c_441184569a3e4d80a103fd7eae0bd93a~mv2.gif

So it would be a shame to let a very small inconsistency get in the way of that.
Does rotational force apply to thrown corpses? Please tell me it does, it'd be hilarious.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Actually... my one regret with Deus Ex would be... we had this idea, that you could throw corpses with the muscle augmentation, into walls, and they would explode... like tomatoes. *audience laughs* But we couldn't get it to work, due to technological limitations." -Warren Spector

Ash

Arcane
A lot of people have been voicing their disappointment that corpse tomatoes are gone. It was a lot of fun.

But yeah, Spector wouldn't approve.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
Hmm, there is something invisible next to the interference generator at the Cemetery:
ck8l8ao.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
^ I just passed by that invisible object btw. Makes a scraping metal sound when you push against it.

Found a bug. I can clip right into an inaccessible area in Paris by walking on the corner of a pillar/fence:

aadcjc.jpg

ijzrsk.jpg

Ash

Arcane
The invisible object is a "hidden" explosive barrel placed by the original devs. My only guess as to why it is there is to give the destruction of the device more oomph, as there's no scripting related to it it seems.

eXalted

Arcane
I am currently at the Chateau. As far as I see the game always gives you all kind of options so that there is always a way to continue.

There atre two situations in which I think you can fuck up and not be able to continue.

- Entering the club in Paris
If you don't have lockpicks, explosives and money, you can't enter the club. Neither you can steal the zymes to earn money f you can't lockpick them.

- Naval shipyard
If you spent you explosives you are pretty much fucked up unable to sink the ship.

I know that the chance something like this to happen is very low but it is possible, isn't it?

Ash

Arcane
Paris club can be entered without specialized tools by smashing the doorman's glass window (this will anger him in GMDX), taking him out and then crawling through the vent to the bathroom.

Superfreighter cannot be scuttled if you waste explosives. However between all the LAMs, Gep Rockets, 20mm assault gun grenades and TNT crates on this mission you'd have to be an idiot to waste them all and if you fuck it up, tough shit.

In the words of Anna Navarre: "I am not going to hold your hand".

Dev_Anj

Learned
Well I don't think the super freighter is a problem because the player is informed before the level starts that they will need 4 explosives to scuttle it, so they will naturally be incentivised to save up as much explosives as possible. The real problematic area would be the Paris radiation zone in the abandoned apartment. I know it's been brought up before and that the game gives tools to reduce the impact of the area, but it still poses problems for the low HP player. I think it would be nice to somehow hint players of that zone before leaving the graveyard, so that if they have low HP they can redo the graveyard level better. Not sure how you'll go about doing that sensibly, it's upto you.

Black

Arcane
I found out that you can blow up the objectives in the tanker with the lightsaber if you're strong enough.
Not recommended tho :M

eXalted

Arcane
...20mm assault gun grenades...
Okay, I will sound stupid but.... what 20mm assault gun grenades? I've never encountered them. Maybe because I don't have an assault rifle in me?

Are the TNT crates working? I think they don't do enough damage? Or am I mistaken?

I hardly find any LAMS. I had only 2 for that mission and was amazed when I found only one more in the armory. I expected more. It's good that I had a GEP in me.

HansDampf

Arcane
...20mm assault gun grenades...
Okay, I will sound stupid but.... what 20mm assault gun grenades? I've never encountered them. Maybe because I don't have an assault rifle in me?

Are the TNT crates working? I think they don't do enough damage? Or am I mistaken?

I hardly find any LAMS. I had only 2 for that mission and was amazed when I found only one more in the armory. I expected more. It's good that I had a GEP in me.
On your inventory screen there should be an ammo box that lists all the ammo you carry.

The game will tell the player multiple times that you'll really need explosives for the next mission and gives plenty opportunities to get them. You can buy them in NYC from Smuggler. You will find some in the armory (I could swear there should be more than one LAM and also a LAW). There may be more on the ship somewhere. If you don't have an assault gun for the 20mm ammo, you can take them from the guards. And TNT crates not doing enough damage? Are we playing the same game?
Nah. I've never heard about anyone failing this mission.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Alright, just started a playthrough of GMDX 8.0. Whether I'm just doing something wrong or the mod changed something I don't know, but here's some things I noticed:

-Hitting corpses with your melee weapon seems to produce a hit sound depending on the surface beneath the corpse rather than the organic 'squish' sound when you normally hit someone with a melee weapon
-Weapons can be holstered by double-tapping the use button, but can only be unholstered by pressing the respective number key on your toolbelt? Considering my last weapon I just used is highlighted on the toolbelt, I'd expect that pressing the fire or use key would unholster that weapon, but it doesn't, and having to press the respective number key again is a bit unwieldy
-Grenades as secondary weapon are equipped and have to be thrown afterwards, rather than being immediately thrown once you press the Secondary Weapon key, unlike thrown and melee weapons, which kind of defeats the purpose of secondary weapons
-In the Liberty Island level, I picked up and immediately dropped one of the many UNATCO troop corpse, which alerted and prompted a nearby patrolling NSF soldier (who should have already seen that corpse and ignored it long before I entered the scene) to check out the corpse and the surrounding area. Does the NSF AI on Liberty Island ignore UNATCO corpses as long as you don't move them?
-Are there no Build Engine-style bloody footprints when you step in a puddle of blood?
-Are fire extinguisher gas and pepper spray supposed to trigger tripwires?
-You can't use your secondary weapon when holding items in your hand other than weapons, such as flares, extinguishers, and so on.
-Wouldn't it be more useful to have some kind of indicator when you're aiming at someone's head/back and are ready for a backstab? Sort of like how Spy in TF2 raises his knife when he is in backstabbing range. Stealth games operate on a very thin margin of error, and alerting the enemy just because you missed a vague hitboxes by a few pixels isn't really that fun
-I remember (in another mod?) being able to click the use button on a locked door which would automatically pull out my keyring for the sake of convenience. Is this feature not present in GMDX? (the same could also be done for locked doors and lockpicks, security and multitools, and so on)
-When you don't have anything equipped, pressing the secondary weapon key in order to attack with your melee weapon instead equips your melee weapon first, and doesn't let you attack with the secondary weapon button once you have the weapon assigned to the secondary weapon button equipped, which is quite confusing
-Minor suggestion: displaying the Hacking level required in order to hack a device just by aiming at it (like displaying lock/security strength) would be useful
-Minor gripe concerning basketball physics: IRL basketballs keep rolling around after a bit after they stop bouncing, whereas in GMDX they come to a complete standstill

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom