Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

eXalted

Arcane
Just beat the game. Was curious if the AI will lie to me and I selected the Helios ending. Didn't want to erase all humanity achievements and go to Neo Dark Age.

I wanted only to see what the game is like and end up beating it. Reading now more in depth what GMDX changes makes more sense after seeing all the game mechanics. Can't image now playing the game without some of the mod additions. No regrets that I didn't experience the native Deus Ex experience. Awesome game and awesome mod.

... And I am so happy I played before v9.0. Fuck those robospiders :argh:

Last edited:

Keppo

Cipher
Guys i never played Deus Ex but tomorrow im going to change it. Should i play Deus Ex in vanilla vel unmoded version to experience this in pure form first time, or should i install GMDX?? HALP!!!!

Keppo

Cipher
Guys i never played Deus Ex but tomorrow im going to change it. Should i play Deus Ex in vanilla vel unmoded version to experience this in pure form first time, or should i install GMDX?? HALP!!!!

I've heard good things about this "Revision" mod. You should try it out!
:troll:

stop trolling, this is serious business, first time is very important, i dont want fuck this up.

Ash

Arcane
It's a logical progression of Deus Ex's design. I am trained in the dark ancient arcane arts of good old school forward-thinking game design.
Vanilla DX, as legendary as it is, was undeniably flawed. 70% of this mod is addressing those flaws. 28% is Looking Glass-inspired progression. Unfortunately that remaining 2% is flaws in execution which will be addressed come version 9 release.

If you go with this mod, play it on normal difficulty. If you don't go with this mod, play it vanilla or with Human Renovation (purist bugfix mod). There is no legitimate alternative.

eXalted

Arcane
Go full GMDX and never look back. Just finished my first playthrough and it was with this mod.

Dev_Anj

Learned
or with Human Renovation (purist bugfix mod).

Actually make that Deus Ex 2.0, a mod that focuses solely on bugfixing. It's not on Mod DB but searching Off Topic Productions or Google should give you a link to it. Human Renovation does do some bugfixing but it also introduces a bunch of minor rebalances which may not be to everyone's liking. Revision featured some of them, and I remember there were significant complaints, especially about how it changed the inherent stealth mechanics.

Black

Arcane
There's no reason not to play it with GMDX even on your first go. It's like playing FO1 with Fallout Fixt.

Ash

Arcane
or with Human Renovation (purist bugfix mod).

Actually make that Deus Ex 2.0, a mod that focuses solely on bugfixing. It's not on Mod DB but searching Off Topic Productions or Google should give you a link to it. Human Renovation does do some bugfixing but it also introduces a bunch of minor rebalances which may not be to everyone's liking. Revision featured some of them, and I remember there were significant complaints, especially about how it changed the inherent stealth mechanics.

Ah, I forgot about "Deus Ex 2.0".

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Go vanilla for the first playthrough, it's great. You'll want to replay it anyway, at which point it would be a very good idea to install GMDX. You'll only be able to fully appreciate everything that it does once you've played the original.

Dev_Anj

Learned
What does everyone feel about the way the Energy Shield aug progresses? I think it's a bit too skewed towards promoting upgrading all the way to level 4 rather than providing effective defense against plasma, flames and the like to varying degrees at each level. I get that it's a passive aug, but 10-20-30% didn't seem to noticeably help from what I remember of one of my playthroughs.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Still not better than popamole regen :M
Yeah.

Despite regen being heavily nerfed in GMDX, its still probably the best aug. Part of this is that there's fewer medkits around, and they heal less. If you're like me, you will get hit, so you will need healing, and regen aug is still by far the best healing around.

Passive augs are also not a huge deal, since you can pause game to activate augs, and the energy drain in those 30 seconds of combat is not very high anyway. Ballistic prot aug is what, 30% max passive, 70% max active? 70% all the way.

Ash

Arcane
Dev_Anj: yes, I may alter the energy shield values.

As for those old posts:

Playing it on Medium. I find it impossible to walk in that cave without them spotting you. I used the cloak augmentation to sneak past them (killing only the Karkians in the small room on the side) because it was very hard to sneak past all of them. The cave is full of them.

How do people feel about the cave? Should it have altered enemy placement?

Is it possible that he is spawned just before I open the door? Or that they are in one faction and not hostile to each other until I activate the cutscene?

Entirely possible. I'll check shortly.

Excidium II said:
About this aug, it really does not feel worth upgrading since all it does is reduce cost, but you just pop it for a second or two as you cross laser and camera/robot view range.

Perhaps it could be balanced with lowered cost but limiting what will ignore you by rank.

Yes, even in DX1 Cloak\Radar Transparency are OP as hell if you effectively toggle them at the opportune times. And NuDeusEx think's it is a good idea to merge the two augs and make bioenergy passively regenerate :roll:

As for what I can do about it, nothing really except an increase in bioenergy drain, which currently is identical to vanilla if I recall. Maybe I'll do that, but I'm worried that using it with the Synthetic Heart would not be viable as it too increases energy drain.

DevAnj said:
The problem with all the stuff about multitools you stated is that they still don't really make for much appealing effects, mostly all they do is reduce chances of alarms or take a turret or two out of comission. That stuff is only relevant if you're sneaking or planning to fight in a room guarded with turrets. Furthermore, consider that maybe opening up doors is generally seen as preferable to merely hacking security devices, especially if you won't be in the area for long.

Multitools open doors too though, and more than in vanilla.

Dev_Anj said:
The solution to this is probably just to somehow emphasize using them through the level design without blocking off routes to the non multitool specialized player, yet this is difficult to do.

There is some attempts in that regard. For example, see the new laser triggers in the MJ12 lab beneath UNATCO that block off the armory. There's multiple solutions to bypass them, but multitools are by far the most convenient, moreso than hacking as you have to sneak past a lot of guards to get to the terminal while you have very little equipment.

Passive augs are also not a huge deal, since you can pause game to activate augs

Not in Hardcore mode or with the Real Time UI option enabled. Passive augs also don't drain bioenergy while Regen hogs it, so there's that.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
How do people feel about the cave? Should it have altered enemy placement?
Is it possible to stealth around them without Cloak? I tried a couple of times but at the end only killed the ones in the room to the right and cloaked around the other.

Currently, it seems that there are two options in the encounter.

- Cloak

- Killing them all which can be difficult for a non-combat oriented character as there are too many of them and they are definitely not easy enemies.

Black

Arcane
Ok, found me some bug.
Sometimes when you pick up larger objects (trash cans, bigger boxes etc) they can clip through the floor and disappear. Can't drop them then, the game treats it as if you're still holding it. And if you try to change the area with it- game crashes.

Black

Arcane
Can't, duh.
Also on your second visit to Hell's Kitchen, if you go to sewers where MJ12 troops were and take a swim in the AIDS below, there's a tunnel that leads to some kind of void. In the same place where later you can get an upgrade aug canister.

Ash

Arcane
Yep, the carry-able thing is a vanilla bug. Fixed in v9.0.

eXalted said:
Is it possible to stealth around them without Cloak? I tried a couple of times but at the end only killed the ones in the room to the right and cloaked around the other.

It's possible, but difficult. Animals are more difficult to manipulate as they don't react to sound disturbances.

Jaedar said:
Part of this is that there's fewer medkits around.

There is?

and they heal less

They do?

I guess you mean they heal less than regen and there's more biocells than medkits. Yeah even master medicine skill is probably no match for popamole regen. Not much I can do about it aside from either remove it, or automate it and take activation control away from the player, neither of which I'm too keen on. GMDX nerfs it to a sort of acceptable standard already compared to the insanity of vanilla regeneration.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
Yes, even in DX1 Cloak\Radar Transparency are OP as hell if you effectively toggle them at the opportune times
Personally I always thought cloak wasted too much bioenergy though. It's indeed true that cloak had more use, given how many more human enemies you encounter over robotic ones, but trying to actively use it generally means having it on for quite a while, given the general density of human enemies in guarded areas.

I would suggest not doing much with either aug, they're fine as it is in GMDX and raising energy drain rates would just make them nigh unusable and a waste of an aug slot.

As for the caves, I'll quickly look at them in UnrealED and suggest alterations, though I must say I was not a fan of the Oceanlab level either in Deus Ex or GMDX. It just feels very unsuited to a stealth player and plays more like some standard first person shooter rather than like a Deus Ex level.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Back from testing. My observations:

1. The enemy placement in the caves makes sneaking very impractical, as small karkians cover one path while greasels cover the other. The dark areas don't seem to help in hiding from them; I was quite far away from the pack of greasels and in total darkness and they still managed to spot me even though I never did anything that would alert them beforehand.

2. There's no need of two large karkians. A single one is enough threat by itself; two are just a waste of ammunition.

3. I think it's too difficult for stealth oriented players to fight packs of greasels. Their poison spit covers a much larger area and they also take lots of bullets to kill unless you have high powered weapons. Dragon's Tooth up close can work but the problem is you need to run right at them and that guarantees getting poisoned. The positioning of most of the greasels on the map also means that they are hardly ever encountered in isolation, making sneaking past them impractical in combination with the first issue above. Note also that the Oceanlab just doesn't have much cover for stealth players to hide behind. Basically, unless they have a silenced sniper rifle they're going to have an unfairly hard time.

Ash

Arcane
Combat is often held back back by stealth in Deus Ex. I don't mind a level or two where the roles are reversed, but there's probably a tweak or two that would be for the best. The caves in particular are a clusterfuck of transgenics.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Btw forgot to report this funny bug, this guy only spawns later but I can see him with vision enhancement rank 4:

mkchlw.jpg

Also another thing, karkians can eat stuff through the floor. The one in this room could even clip through the floor while swimming in the tank below.

eXalted

Arcane
As for the cave, I noticed the conveniently placed corpse there and tried to use it to lure the monsters to eat it. That almost worked because the moment I try to stealth around they notice me and stop their feast. And of course it's not only them, behind me is always another one or two who also go alert and.... it's Load Game time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom