Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

HansDampf

Arcane
I changed bHardcoreUnlocked=False to bHardcoreUnlocked=True, but it did nothing. The game still won't let me play hardcore. Why am I stupid?

Ash

Arcane
MyDocuments/DeusEx/GMDXv9/System/gmdxuser.ini

ctrl + f "bHardcoreUnlocked"

You'll get a result. Ignore this one and press find next again. The second instance is the one you want.

Not your fault. It's a bit confusing DX .inis has two instances for player config variables.

Minor immersion breaker: TNT crates are neither floating nor sinking, just sitting motionless at whatever depth you place them at. Kind of awkward how I have to push the TNT underwater down to the sunken ship in order to blow the door open. Also, I feel like picking up and moving objects underwater should be possible.

EDIT: Floatation problems with other objects too. A garbage bag floats initially, but if you physically push it far enough underwater it stops floating and just sits at its placed depth.

EDIT2: The option "double click holstering" only works properly when you are holding your #1 weapon in your hands. Otherwise it switches to your #1 weapon

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Yeah dbl click holstering only applies to holstering, not drawing. This is because the majority of inconveniences happen with single click holstering, but rarely single click drawing, generally speaking.

No, I mean if I am holding the #2 weapon and double right click, it draws my #1 weapon. If I hold my #1 weapon and double right click it properly holsters the weapon.

Or, rather, a single right click seems to switch to the #1 weapon and double right click only works when on #1 weapon.

Ash

Arcane
Sounds like you've a dual binding or your hand might have slipped. I VANTED ORHANGE!

The code is relatively straightforward and only applies to holstering, not drawing or switching weapons.

Or, you may have the IW toolbelt option enabled and are confused as to how it works?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ash
I'm curious as to why you added the gate at the start of Liberty Island. Was it to make altercations between NSF and Paul/the patrol bot less likely? And/or to guide the player between the boat and UNATCO headquarters?

Ash

Arcane
It's exclusive to Easy mode only. difficulty options are vastly overhauled and while the mod is undoubtedly biased towards the more hardcore way of things as it damn well should be, it also adds handicaps to easy such as a more forgiving accuracy system (been there since v8.0 or 7.0). Want your grandpa/mother/newborn/casual tard friend to play DX? Point them to Easy difficulty if you think they will just struggle and rage quit otherwise. Otherwise medium and hard is recommended for first timers. And realistic and hardcore for vets. The gate in particular subtly leads players towards unatco wherein they will learn more about the game's mechanics, engage in some dialogue, and just get more comfortable via natural play etc before delving right into the deep end in Liberty Island and its 30+ enemies and obstacles (assuming training was not picked, since it's optional). If a player intentionally picks easy, they either don't care about challenge (and therefore using their brain through gameplay), or genuinely need the help, so Easy does a little more to help such people (although really not a lot overall).
To add, the gate does not really remove any major choice, as you can simply walk around the column.

anyhow, the concept is essentially to cater to a wider variety of players without compromising anything of note. How modern games should be doing it. this mod is designed for the old school first and foremost, but it can also branch out to more individual player types than the game originally could due to extensive difficulty mode differences and config settings. Vanilla all game difficulty did was change how much bullets hurt you. Not a crosshow dart. Not stealth behaviour. Not environmental hazards. No special new game rules or handicaps. just bullet damage vs player.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks for the informative answer Ash. I always play on Realistic and wouldn't even have seen it if I hadn't been goofing around and trying out the new version on Easy.

Your approach to difficulty levels is the way to go, when all it changes are damage values it's really unimaginative and potentially frustrating for bad reasons (enemy grunts turned into bullet sponges).

Sounds like you've a dual binding or your hand might have slipped. I VANTED ORHANGE!

The code is relatively straightforward and only applies to holstering, not drawing or switching weapons.

Or, you may have the IW toolbelt option enabled and are confused as to how it works?

I did have IW toolbelt on. Exactly what does it do? Besides mess up the double click holstering thing. The description is vague to me.

Also, I noticed that the normal Pistol now takes a Silencer mod. What's the gameplay purpose of the Silenced Pistol then? Normal pistol has way better damage which is essential for one-hit killing soldiers with a headshot, along with generally better stats except for recoil. I noticed that the normal pistol has a noise rating of 0.5 dB while the silenced pistol has 0, but couldn't find a difference in practice, enemies seem to hear the impact of the bullet hitting a nearby surface regardless of the weapon's noise rating.

EDIT: NVM the IW toolbelt question, figured out what it was. It's for using the mouse wheel to scroll through items, something I've literally never done in any FPS... might want to clarify that.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
1. Stealth pistol is statistically better than default pistol in every way except base damage.
2. Stealth pistol accepts full auto mod, default pistol doesn't. Stealth Pistol damage per second is very high with max rate of fire + full auto mods, and it also has a relatively big mag size. This means damage output over time and per clip is higher than default pistol. You can kill things faster and kill more things without having to reload.
3. Silencers are rare. Two you can get with relative ease, but a third costs 2500 credits. Aside from this, there are no other silencer mods in the game. Silencers are of much greater value in GMDX, as unsilenced weapons actually produce noise AI can hear beyond a few feet (vanilla it was almost as if all weapons came with a silencer by default).
What taking the stealth pistol means is essentially you get a free silencer, which as explained above are a lot more valuable now. With the default pistol you have to use one of the three silencer weapon mods which could have gone into another gun, or you could have just refrained from spending that 2500.
4. The base damage difference between the two weapons is closed somewhat:

S Pistol Vanilla = 8
Pistol Vanilla = 14

S Pistol GMDX = 9
Pistol GMDX = 11

this also serves other purposes too elsewhere but I won't go into that.

All things considered it's balanced. [insert Sawyer parade]

Edit: moar:

Maxed out stealth pistol damage per magazine = 550
Maxed out default pistol damage per magazine = 351

Would grab the DPS formula too but the vanilla stats aren't accurate as fire rate is tied to animation and I can't be bothered to fetch the true values, because it'd be a lot of work for a lot of nothing. Well, not exactly a lot of workbut I'm done with the mod besides actually important fixes.

Last edited:
SPistol Rof: 1.7 R/s
Pistol RoF: 3.3 R/s <- Better

Spistol Accuracy: 62%
Pistol Accuracy: 65% <- Better

Spistol Reload: 4s
Pistol reload: 2s <- better

Spistol Clip: 15 <- better
Pistol Clip: 8

Spistol Recoil: .19 <-better
Pistol Recoil: .62

Don't see how you can say the Spistol is better is every way but damage. The Spistol's Clip advantage is negated by its much slower firing speed, you can actually get 16 rounds out of the normal pistol in 6.8s (including reload time) while the Spistol takes 8.8s to fire its 15 and 12.8s to fire the 16th. So the only advantage of the Spistol is recoil, which is fairly easy to reduce and not much of a big deal in the first place IMO.

Also, unless I'm mistaken (or you've changed things), there are only 3 silence-able weapons in the game: Pistol, Rifle, Sniper Rifle. So saying Silencer mods are limited when you have enough to modify every weapon possible is incorrect. Even getting 2 out of 3 modded is quite good, for example the Sniper Rifle doesn't really demand a silencer since you're probably far enough away that you don't care about the sound. I'd also point out that because you get your first silencer upgrade so early in Paul's hotel room, when all you (probably) have is a pistol, you're forcing players to either use the silencer on their pistol or metagame and save it for when they know they'll get the rifle or sniper rifle.

The capability of auto-fire for the Spistol sounds interesting, but wouldn't it make more sense to leave the pistol un-silenceable and give it the capability for auto-fire? The pistol already has a great fire rate advantage (and with max RoF mods its basically an automatic), so it would seem logical to have weapon mods that further specialize the weapons rather than make them more similar (S-pistol becoming like Pistol in DPS while Pistol becoming like Spistol in stealth). This better differentiates the weapons and keeps GMDX more closely following vanilla gameplay.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Like I said, rate of fire is inaccurate as it's tied to animation. Do some testing with console commands, summon some ROF mods+full auto and the SP becomes a machine pistol. The stat can be made accurate but I consider it more effort than it's worth. Still, maybe the (innaccurate) stat the player sees on the pistol should be changed to an approximate number if it's saying it's faster than the SP, cause it's not.

If Pistol base accuracy is better this shouldn't be the case, it's an oversight and I'll update it.

Yeah pistol reload is better cause HDTP pistol has no reload loop unfortunately, so has to be 2 secs. Forgot about that.
SP also has better accurate range and max range, you left that out. Important for long range shooting which the default pistol is awful at after a certain range.

"So saying Silencer mods are limited when you have enough to modify every weapon possible is incorrect"

You have to get all three though, and as mentioned there's a big hefty price for one of them. If you take default pistol and want to silence all the three available weapons you have to cough up 2500 (or some lockipicks) that you wouldn't should you have took the SP.

"Even getting 2 out of 3 modded is quite good, for example the Sniper Rifle"

Silenced snipe? One of the most dominating weapons, and the best weapon to put a silencer on. You should have argued against the value of silenced assault gun, which is the least important of the three that can be silenced.

The capability of auto-fire for the Spistol sounds interesting, but wouldn't it make more sense to leave the pistol un-silenceable and give it the capability for auto-fire?

Leaving only two weapons that can be silenced? ...nah. And again, it's good that stealth pistol has > Damage Per Second, but Pistol greater base dam. Since damage output is the most important stat overall. Should the balance be imperfect, it's still better than vanilla balance where weapons produced very little noise anyway (a few feet on average) and it was close to an illusion that silencers meant something.

Last edited:
Like I said, rate of fire is inaccurate as it's tied to animation. Do some testing with console commands, summon some ROF mods+full auto and the SP becomes a machine pistol. The stat can be made accurate but I consider it more effort than it's worth.

The stated ROF times *seem* accurate to me. With a stopwatch I get about ~9s to fire 15 shots with the Spistol while the pistol fires 8 + reload + fires 8 more in about ~8s. Its hard to be exact because you have to click at the perfect time to fire at the full rate, but the Pistol does it faster. I'm not really considering the Full Auto since I don't think the entire gun should rely on getting a single (non-vanilla) mod. Wouldn't a full-auto Spistol basically be a clone of a silenced Assault Rifle too? Again, that's sort of making the weapons too similar rather than unique and different.

SP also has better accurate range and max range, you left that out. Important for long range shooting.
I dunno, 125 Feet already seems enough even for people allergic to the sniper rifle. Range mods also exist and if you are allergic to aforementioned sniper rifle you'll undoubtedly have +5 range pretty quickly.

You have to get all three though, and as mentioned there's a big hefty price for one of them. If you take default pistol and want to silence all the three available weapons you have to cough up 2500 (or some lockipicks) that you wouldn't should you have took the SP.

Considering the large advantage of stealth I don't think this can be considering such a huge drawback. Unless you've really cut back on the credits. And the lockpicks. And the LAMs/LAWs/GEPs (can you blow your way to this one? I don't remember). And this is only if the player wants to silence all three guns.

Silenced snipe? One of the most dominating weapons, and the best weapon to put a silencer on. You should have argued against the value of silenced assault gun, which is the least important of the three that can be silenced.

Well, IMO if you are at sniping distance and you alert enemies you can simply crouch and they'll lose interest before they've walked all the way towards you, so stealth doesn't matter a ton. I <3 my silenced assault rifle, bursting down one solider in a group of 2 and then getting the 2nd before he's reacted to the first one going down is great.

Leaving only two weapons that can be silenced? ...nah. And again, it's good that stealth pistol has > Damage Per Second, but Pistol greater base dam. Since damage output is the most important stat overall. Should the balance be imperfect, it's still better than vanilla balance where weapons produced very little noise anyway (a few feet on average) and it was mostly an illusion that silencers meant something.
Well, obviously the shotgun should be silenceable :D

Any why not keep normal pistol > DPS and base Damage while Spistol is notable for silence? That would make sense based on their names. Or at least, make the Silenced normal pistol have a bit more sound, since it makes sense that it wouldn't be able to be fully silent yet the current 0.5 dB seems basically irrelevant unless you are holding the gun to the enemy's head.

Ash

Arcane
Sorry bro, am happy with things as they are in this regard.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is there an option in the secret GMDX NG+ options menu which lets you enable tomato body throwing and lethal body collisions again?

Alright, I won't argue any further. I certainly love my OP pistol, escaped out the front with Paul on my first try, playing Hardcore difficulty.

Thoughts on Aug changes so far:

- The vision upgrade to show the % visibility is really nice. I didn't realize just how much Deux Ex took into account shadows. 3rd upgrade is pretty meh though, you'd probably be better off merging it with the 2nd tier if you can't find something more interesting.
- The Combat speed vs. throwing/picking items augs look nicely balanced. I'd have gone for the throwing ability if I wasn't playing on Hardcore, but quick weapon switching just sounded too nice.
- The Passive Ballistic defense aug. Tell me if I'm understanding it right. Take 100 damage, prevent, say, 25, then subtract 12.5 bio energy (1/8th of the 100)? Or is it subtract 4 bio energy (1/8th of the 25)? The way its worded sounds like the former, but that is just awful and basically gimping the player. Even if its the latter I think it could do with making the damage reduction a bit larger, at least on realistic/hardcore 35% is nothing compared to the Active Ballistic Defense aug (which is also way more energy efficient it you are at all capable of toggling it on and off).
- I am quite anxious over deciding which is the best between Combat Strength and Energy Transference. Going with the latter just cause its new and cool. Is Energy Transference + Combat Strength possible? Would make for a really awesome pure-melee build.

Ash

Arcane
Is there an option in the secret GMDX NG+ options menu which lets you enable tomato body throwing and lethal body collisions again?

In the unlocked options menu, set Persistent Corpses to false. Except on hardcore mode where it ignores the option, 'cause it's OP.

The vision upgrade to show the % visibility is really nice. I didn't realize just how much Deux Ex took into account shadows.

Yup, it's just as granular as Thief.

3rd upgrade is pretty meh though, you'd probably be better off merging it with the 2nd tier if you can't find something more interesting.

Should you pick Synthetic Heart you'll get the third upgrade for free. It's great in that regard, but otherwise in any other scenario it is a bit of a trash option, though still cool.

- The Passive Ballistic defense aug. Tell me if I'm understanding it right. Take 100 damage, prevent, say, 25, then subtract 12.5 bio energy (1/8th of the 100)? Or is it subtract 4 bio energy (1/8th of the 25)? The way its worded sounds like the former, but that is just awful and basically gimping the player.

It reduces energy using the reduced damage.

Even if its the latter I think it could do with making the damage reduction a bit larger, at least on realistic/hardcore 35% is nothing compared to the Active Ballistic Defense aug (which is also way more energy efficient it you are at all capable of toggling it on and off).

Passive vs Active is fine. Passive has always got your back no matter what, except if no bioenergy. Also is convenient and lazy. Active requires constant management but is considerably statistically superior.

- I am quite anxious over deciding which is the best between Combat Strength and Energy Transference. Going with the latter just cause its new and cool. Is Energy Transference + Combat Strength possible? Would make for a really awesome pure-melee build.

It's possible but it requires never installing Microfibral Muscle or Combat Speed and waiting until you find a second aug can that holds another Strength/Transference. Not worth it.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Making sawn off shotty silencer capable would be pretty cool though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At0mic

Literate
OK, now I've got a bit of a concern.

GMDX version 8 was fairly clean in that it didn't drop much into the main Deus Ex\System directory apart from some updated renderer files for the total overhaul graphics pack.

GMDX version 9 adds a whole lot of DeusExCon files that presumably override the vanilla content, but more worryingly, it overwrites DeusEx.int which in itself contains references to GMDX. This means that if you run the original DeusEx.exe, you'll find the menus a bit screwed up and who knows what else. I'd normally not bother with vanilla after installing GMDX, but mods rely on vanilla and don't expect critical game files to be different from the norm.

This seems unnecessary because GMDXv9 creates its own directory of the same name, so why can't these files go in that System directory and not mess with the main System? For now I'm going to have to revert to version 8 simply because it was the least destructive for the vanilla game & mods, which is disappointing.

Parabalus

Arcane
Playing DX for the first time, just got the Dragon's Tooth. Mod is great, I have no idea which feature is in the original and which is modded, everything blends together seamlessly. I'll post more thoughts when I'm done but it's truly outstanding, really good work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom