Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jaedar "Did my install bork or something?"

Yeah looks that way. That data directories setup is all wrong. Alternatively, you just may not be launching from one of the three Play_GMDX shortcuts. Note it's new shortcuts, don't try to launch from the old v8.0 shortcut either.

Also if anyone has persistent technical issues or would just like to get more involved with the GMDX/Deus Ex community, the GMDX discord is now open to all: https://discord.gg/RArSVSu
It seems that even after using steam uninstall, there was trash left after previous gmdx installations, had to delete entire folder manually and reinstall, now it looks the same if I launch via steam and the shortcut created by installer

Ash

Arcane
hmm, check the parameters. They should be pointing to GMDX.exe + GMDX.ini flles. Also consider launching from the shortcut directly without steam even launched. What's actually the upside to that anyways?

Ash

Arcane
Yes, GMDX restores some overlooked dialogue where sensible. Not much at all though, it's likely just Deus Ex being Deus Ex and still surprising you on your umpteenth playthrough.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
hmm, check the parameters. They should be pointing to GMDX.exe + GMDX.ini flles. Also consider launching from the shortcut directly without steam even launched. What's actually the upside to that anyways?
It allows taking screenshots via steam, which also allows for easy hosting. That's it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
First impressions below, finished first level.
Game looks really good. Tasteful amounts of clutter fills out the empty spaces without littering everything with pointless crap. Some of it even holds extra items so it's worth 'exploring'. Perks also seem to have lots of cool stuff.

But this is the rpgcodex, so of course I have to complain/file some bugs:
C8E5D2B73C99FC326FF5E717F5DF3DD748AA6FDE

Was the game always this zoomed out in convos? This might actually be my first time playing with widescreen, so could just be that, and it's not that bad it just looks very weird to me.

9CB0D96BA44C87CA17AEEE5F5666EC2F8C4E552F

This is the box in the small house by the nsf bot. I managed to blow the lid while shooting a rocket on the other side of the wall while trying to hit the bot. Vanilla bug, but I thought gmdx was supposed to fix?

3F6915A85411D0837AE5C2A2404CD0D2C3476CCD

Poor lighting on this one but why is this flimsy looking box by unatco hq have infinite strength? Breaks muh immershun.
Playing on hard and mostly using the crowbar I found it too easy by far. I should probably bump it up to realistic and restart (maybe one enemy in ten managed to loose a shot while I was just berserk charging right at them). Did die once while taking screenshots, and once by alerting enemy and hiding behind corner (to which the enemy turned the corner, pistol whipped me away and made me whiff my swing, and then killed me. Well played!) Or maybe nsf thugs are just easy?

I also have a weird mouse issue where every time I start the game, it enabled mouse acceleration for some reason, have to tab out and remove it in windows settings (on win 7).

Even with pistols only at trained and no mods, I could get pin perfect accuracy. Used to be you basically needed master skill or lots of mods + advanced skill to pull this off. This seems a bit strong to me.

Ash

Arcane
Junmarko Not sure what you mean. You want my custom color theme values?

Jaedar said:
Poor lighting on this one but why is this flimsy looking box by unatco hq have infinite strength? Breaks muh immershun.

If you're looking for true realistic consistency in the sturdiness of Deus Ex's movers (doors, container lids etc), you won't find that here nor in the vanilla game. There is baseline consistency but as an example there's plenty unbreakable wooden doors, meanwhile plenty metal doors that can be smashed open with a chinese Dao or a mini-crossbow dart.
The prime reason for this is balance of RPG systems. Realism is important but gameplay often wins, when a conflict of interest arises. Still, containers were always one exception. every container is breakable vanilla from what I recall. Perhaps I'll set that one to breakable too but I doubt it, since vanilla wasn't huge on consistency with movers in general as stated.
anyhow, this exists to reward those that invest in lockpicks above trained early on, which usually doesn't hold a ton of value when the level features plenty TNT crates about + a bunch of other explosives like LAMs and GEP.

This is the box in the small house by the nsf bot. I managed to blow the lid while shooting a rocket on the other side of the wall while trying to hit the bot. Vanilla bug, but I thought gmdx was supposed to fix?

This is something that I don't actually think I can fix, as it's a native function. I only looked into it briefly a while back, though. There's probably a hacky solution.

Playing on hard and mostly using the crowbar I found it too easy by far. I should probably bump it up to realistic and restart (maybe one enemy in ten managed to loose a shot while I was just berserk charging right at them). Did die once while taking screenshots, and once by alerting enemy and hiding behind corner (to which the enemy turned the corner, pistol whipped me away and made me whiff my swing, and then killed me. Well played!) Or maybe nsf thugs are just easy?

Realistic and Hardcore difficulty = for old school gamers of our breed, especially those that have played DX or GMDX before, which you have in the case of both. Don't play on any other difficulty.
Medium and hard = for newbies/moderates.
Easy = for casuls.

Even with pistols only at trained and no mods, I could get pin perfect accuracy. Used to be you basically needed master skill or lots of mods + advanced skill to pull this off. This seems a bit strong to me.

Yeah. Known bug. Not game breaking, but does make it a tad easier. Grab this: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/333508530097356800/333509732415569920/DeusEx.u
and place it into ...\Deus Ex\GMDXv9\System
I'll be uploading the main download again shortly with this fix.

Here's what that file will do for you:

Fixes

-Standing accuracy bonus can never take you over 95% (as per vanilla design).
-Vanilla bugfix: standing accuracy timer is now capped. Standing still for long periods of time won't constantly build up the standing bonus.
-Throwing decorative objects (non-power throw) at "Tank" NPCs (Gunther, super mibs) won't break the object.

Just three bugs, but worth it for the accuracy fix.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The prime reason for this is balance of RPG systems. Realism is important but gameplay often wins, when a conflict of interest arises. Still, containers were always one exception. every container is breakable vanilla from what I recall. Perhaps I'll set that one to breakable too but I doubt it, since vanilla wasn't huge on consistency with movers in general as stated.
I can totally accept this, but could the container maybe not look like it is made of hen net? Probably wouldn't have blinked if it hadn't looked so flimsy yet been so sturdy.

Going to up my difficulty to hardcore I guess, since it seems I can disable most of the stuff I don't like (such as limited saves) in the options menu.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is this recommended for a first playthrough?

Don't care about "purity of original experience" but does the mod require any prior knowledge?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this recommended for a first playthrough?

Don't care about "purity of original experience" but does the mod require any prior knowledge?
The mod makes an already good game better in almost all aspects, without changing it drastically. It fixes many bugs and makes useless skills and augmentations useful. :balance:
I would absolutely recommend it. You could play vanilla first for purity, but then you'd just wish you'd played with GMDX instead.

The only negative by going with GMDX first is that mantling makes it easier to accidently get stuck outside the playable map. But unless you save rarely and really tries to test the limits of climbing over boundary-looking things, you should be fine.

Two great new additions from the mod is mantling and the ability to move bodies even if your inventory is full (in vanilla you have to loot them before you can move them). You mantle objects by holding the jump key after jumping towards the edge.
And you pick up bodies regardless of their loot status by double-clicking the use key. Moving bodies is more important for a stealth player in GMDX as NPC's will no longer ignore unconscious bodies like in vanilla, but run for the alarm.

Ash

Arcane
Junmarko

Code:
customColorsHUD[0]=(R=6,G=6,B=6,A=0)
customColorsHUD[1]=(R=255,G=255,B=255,A=0)
customColorsHUD[2]=(R=255,G=0,B=0,A=0)
customColorsHUD[3]=(R=61,G=59,B=56,A=0)
customColorsHUD[4]=(R=202,G=200,B=200,A=0)
customColorsHUD[5]=(R=249,G=0,B=0,A=0)
customColorsHUD[6]=(R=19,G=0,B=0,A=0)
customColorsHUD[7]=(R=255,G=255,B=255,A=0)
customColorsHUD[8]=(R=156,G=153,B=153,A=0)
customColorsHUD[9]=(R=81,G=86,B=84,A=0)
customColorsHUD[10]=(R=255,G=255,B=255,A=0)
customColorsHUD[11]=(R=14,G=0,B=112,A=0)
customColorsHUD[12]=(R=0,G=255,B=255,A=0)
customColorsHUD[13]=(R=147,G=153,B=151,A=0)

Copy-paste that into gmdxuser.ini found in Documents\DeusEx\GMDXv9\System.

In the file ctrl+f "[DeusEx.JCDentonMale]"

Under this heading will be this array of 14 "customColorsHUD[]" much like above. Copy-paste the block above in its place, overwriting all 14 of them. Then save the file.

Personally I think the theme sucks. It was my (personal) attempt at making the default color scheme more interesting, and is not in the mod itself. I think the GMDX community made much better themes, like this one (my fav):

Iy8pnUE.png

For those that don't know, you can make your own custom HUD and Menu color themes in-game in GMDX.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Counterpoint: play vanilla first, then add gmdx, which adds enough stuff to make it feel very fresh. That way you get to experience deus ex for the first time almost twice! Or just play gmdx if you don't have time, it is quite pure.

---

Arcane
And these are just few changes.
There's literally a shitton of new contents and tweaks.

My favourite one is the implementation of passive skills: in vanilla I rarely used augmentations because a lot of times I simply didn't remember about them, or I didn't have the actual time to activate the requested skill.
Now it's much more intuitive.

Like Ash always says, it's a simple change, which doesn't alter the original, masterful gameplay, but simply makes it less obtuse.

At0mic

Literate
Wow. I mean just...

Very good, very good.

*polite clapping*

EDIT: I feel a bit bad because I asked for and got accepted to the beta, but then found myself with a bit of limited time (and energy) to beta-test due to new baby. At least the final version seems nice and slick... and I have more time now!

Jinn

Arcane
This was probably asked and answered already, so excuse me if it has been.

Is there any way to launch the mod through steam now, so that it will log hours played, allow steam overlay, and allow steam screenshots?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
This was probably asked and answered already, so excuse me if it has been.

Is there any way to launch the mod through steam now, so that it will log hours played, allow steam overlay, and allow steam screenshots?

I launch it via steam, but because it counts as an external game, steam will not track playtime. Screenshots work, overlay caused a long freeze for me when I closed it.

So the answer is kind of.

Jinn

Arcane
I launch it via steam, but because it counts as an external game, steam will not track playtime. Screenshots work, overlay caused a long freeze for me when I closed it.

So the answer is kind of.

Thank you. I do know how to launch non-steam games through the steam client, but I was hoping I would be able to log hours for my Deus Ex: GOTY steam copy. Figured it was something that might have been implemented by now.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I think I'll wait for some fixes and
rating_sawyer.gif
stuff, if that will be necessary, before replaying.

:drink:

actually....for anyone that downloaded the mod 8 or so hours ago or before: patch

This patch fixes the following bugs:

-Fixes the crashing on the UNATCOMJ12Lab map (location: after the Hotel gets raided by UNATCO).
-Select NSF no longer have MJ12 combat/stealth/reaction barks.
-Standing accuracy bonus can never take you over 95% accuracy (as per vanilla design)
-Vanilla bugfix: standing still for long periods of time won't endlessly build up the standing accuracy timer.
-Throwing decorative objects (non-power throw) at "Tank" NPCs (Gunther, super mibs) won't break the object.

Anyone that has downloaded it post-that time doesn't need the patch though as the main download has been updated to include the fixes. And it should handle anything beyond the most minor of remaining issues. Mod was in beta for three months so it's highly polished, generally speaking. Just some stupid last minute tweaks and fixes needed fixing themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom