Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Ivan

Arcane
I'm looking forward to this, in a summer blockbuster kind of way. I didn't love the reboot, but I appreciated the swap to a more brawler feel thanks in large part to the camera. It gave me some God Hand flashbacks, whish is always a good thing. I took issue with the forced exposition bits that were delivered on the boring boat rides. I also didn't think the "open" hub design did the game much favors. It just added more boring navigation/padding.

What I remember most though are the excellent Valkyrie fights, the typically spectacular camera movements in the major boss fights (Baldur/Dragon come to mind), and the reveal of the World Serpent (this was especially well done). I loved how the intimate camera really made that moment sing. It reminded me a bit of the metal shark reveal from Banjo Kazooie.

typical user

Arbiter
The only thing I disliked about new God of War is cancer combat design. There are no combos - just annoying shit enemies who will allow to get smacked for 2 maybe 3 seconds and then will proceed to ignore whatever you were doing and fuck you with their own attacks. There is no stunlocking like in Dark Souls just some bullshit moves which require too much of a setup to be useful like alternate stance attacks. Maybe to awe your little brother on the couch.

Vikens with giant clubs? Oh I so wished I could just rip them from their hands and shove up their asses. Revenants? And their aimbot attacks which go through walls? Elven generals? Another retarded enemy designed to waste your time with jumping around or throwing some shit at range. Valkyries? Oh, fuck no, I could write whole essay on Sigrun and how much cancer inducing the fight with her is on GMGOW. There is a reason people on Reddit like the most the fight with a dragon which is mostly scripted sequences and hate fuckers like Revenants.

Personally I liked Travellers the most - they have armor which makes it pretty understandable they do not stagger. That is until you hit them enough breaking armor pieces, then they flail about from weakest attacks with sliver of health ready to be finished. The versions with giant shields? Also cool, 'cause they force different positioning. Generally well-designed enemy but that is One exception in a sea of shit called enemy design in this game.

On the highest difficulty I felt like Wimp of War, who can't seem to do jack shit against anything other than your standard enemies. Runic attacks? Most of them don't work because of super poise and only serve to put You in the bad spot. I have already wrote it above - enemies stop staggering after 2 seconds of ass-kicking. I can understand this behavior for Baldur who is a GOD, but some stupid-ass zombie with two-handed club? Fuck no. When fighting Valkyries I was just questioning myself - why the fuck are there stagger animations for enemies in the game if after set time they just ignore whatever you are trying to do? It just makes combat that much more confusing! If I saw them not flinch even when being super-punched in Spartan Rage then I would quickly switch tactics to poke them with quick bursts and wait for my turn.

Spartan Rage - right. It is almost completely useless vs. later Valkyries - that is it can be used to stop them if their attacks are supposed to be interrupted like Sigrun's tactical nuke if you are out of position without your axe. That's completely retarded usage but that's how some moron from Santa Monica designed combat with Sigrun so there it goes.

Combat on the highest difficulty is such an annoying time waster. I recommend downloading save game with Zeus set - you know the one which boosts your damage for each piece. It will naturally cut down on the time spent in bullshit fights. The downside of receiving more damage? Bruh, on GMGOW+ enemies will already be instagibbing you and you should already be prepared after NG GMGOW. Anyway I have beaten Sigrun on NG+GMGOW because I equipped two set pieces from previous two Valks before her. Otherwise spending 30 minutes on a no-hit run with this retarded fighting system would not be that different from bashing my own head into a wall and expecting different results.

TL;DR: I have beaten God of War 2018 on the highest difficulty and what I got left after it was an urge to grab Super Shotgun and find out the retard who designed combat in that game.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I can't believe they've not fixed the camera angle for the sequel. Shit combat ahoy part 2

kangaxx

Arbiter
Fuck sake... straight 100s from the "reviewers" on Metacritic. I'll have to put up with another year of my brothers telling what a "great videogame" the new one is, and pointing to metacritic as evidence.

Gaming as a hobby is in the toilet.

Nathir

Liturgist
I watched a few random streams of this for 15 minutes. Everytime the characters talk it's just pure cringe. That this gets praised mostly because of "story" is ironic. Thor using "fuck" in his lines is totally next level writing, trust me guys.

dsndo

Educated
It's a bold choice to make Odin talk like a HIV positive Silicon Valley tech executive. He actually referred to Freya as his "ex".

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Kratos is now a literal cuck.
1668045336915.png

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Been playing the original GoW 2018 on PC and it has been pretty fun. Although the combat system in the original God of War games are still the best and most fun.

elverkongen

Learned
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization that will probably make me sound like an old fart but I'll be damned if the cancerous bullshit eating away at every form media isn't a direct result of the social media explosion.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I was talking about twitter gamer womyn all looking the same. Should've been clearer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization that will probably make me sound like an old fart but I'll be damned if the cancerous bullshit eating away at every form media isn't a direct result of the social media explosion.
What do you mean?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom