Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They've given out Eschalon book 1 before.

Ravielsk

Magister
More weeb shit coming.
https://af.gog.com/en/promo/2023_summer_sale_release_yakuza?as=1649904300

Yakuza out now on GOG!​

14 days 08 hours 54 minutes 39 seconds left
SEGA’s legendary Japanese series finally comes to GOG. Fight like hell through Tokyo and Osaka as junior yakuza Kiryu. Take a front row seat to 1980s life in Japan in an experience unlike anything else. Play through the emblematic series now!
I actually have most of the Yakuza series on PS3(physical) but the whole bundle is good enough value for me to buy the whole thing including the games I already have. At 34€ for 7 games its about 5€ per game, that is significantly cheaper than even cdkey resellers and it being DRM free I would say for once this is a fully justifiable purchase.

In a long while I have to say that GOG is actually putting forward good and very competitive value out there. Now if they did this sort of thing across the board I could easily see them gain a greater share of them market with ease.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yakuza that good?
I love the series, and I would like to recommend it to everyone, but:

-If you dislike J-drama, stay away.
-If you don't like tropes, and some crazy takes, stay away.
-If you don't like long cutscenes, stay away.

I love the series for its zaniness, and how very Japanese it is. It's the only long running series where I buy every game on day 1.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yakuza that good?

I love the series for its zaniness, and how very Japanese it is. It's the only long running series where I buy every game on day 1.
That's all nice, but what exactly player does in these games?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yakuza that good?

They are action games/brawlers with rpg elements (improving character level.)
A shitton of side stuff to do. Side quests, mini games, in many cases arenas with challenging fights.
The games are very story heavy. Expect to watch lots of story beats. Many crazy twists and turns. Some surprising in a good way, some retarded.
Many lovable characters. Lots of comedy mixed with serious moments. I wish one of the characters in Yakuza 4-5 would get his own game, but alas.
Combat is fun to me, with some installments having you play different characters, while other titles allow you to have different styles.

Like A Dragon Ishin! is also part of the series, but it is a historical game, but with the Yakuza characters portraying historical figures. I'm playing it currently.
Judgment and Lost Judgment are part of the Yakuza universe, but has other another character that you control.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
You can make kids cry by beating them in toy car racing competitions.
Or in Call of Duty servers.
kiryu-slapping.gif

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Yakuza that good?

They are open world beat em up games,so the core gameplay is talking to people and beating people up,since they are open world games there are many optional mini games in them that vary depending on the game,you can spend hours playing Japanese chess,race toy cars,date girls or various other things

Neuromancer

Augur
Yakuza that good?

Can you compare the zaniness to the games of Swery65 (Deadly Premonition, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, A Good Life)?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Yakuza that good?

Can you compare the zaniness to the games of Swery65 (Deadly Premonition, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, A Good Life)?
Of his games, I only played Deadly Premonition. Deadly Premonition was basically Twin Peaks.

Most of the time, it is serious, the crazy stuff mostly happens in side stuff. One example that I found funny (in Y3, it's censored out now) was a side quest where you get chased by a buff tranny. The main character is absolutely terrified. There are powerful moves you can learn by filming certain events with your phone. These events are called revelations. There are some other crazy stuff that goes on. Combat has heat moves, that can be used when your heat gauge is filled. When it is full, you can do all kinds of crazy shit.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love the series, in a single game you have a moments of real tragedy with writing being some of the best in gaming and then few minutes later you can do this:

Its Japanese game to its core and I love every second of it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yakuza that good?

EVERY FUCKING THING.

I'm not even joking.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Started playing it last week, and I got the opportunity to beat the shit out of a group of teenager and then rob them blind, only for me to loose it all to some two meter tall ape.
Would recommend so far.

lightbane

Arcane
If one was to begin playing Yakuza games, should I start with that 0th game, or should I try emulating the Ps2 ones? I read the remasters are censored.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
If one was to begin playing Yakuza games, should I start with that 0th game, or should I try emulating the Ps2 ones? I read the remasters are censored.

Start with 0.The censorship I know was in 3,they removed a sidequest with a tranny,but the original console release in the west had other kinds of censorship,I believe the dating mini game was removed
There are some differences between the originals and Kiwami 1&2 but these were not due to censorship as far as I know

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Play 1-6, and then 0.
Exactly what a few vids say as you won't know wtf 0 is referencing at times being s prequel. I hate prequels tbh.

Well, steal of a price. As to #3 or any, can the censored shot be patched back in? Do you kill the tranny? Is it even all that good of a sidequest?

Gfx look up there; are the game reqs accurate or iare these fuckers gonna chug along like skinwalker in the redlight fag Thai district?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Play 1-6, and then 0.
Exactly what a few vids say as you won't know wtf 0 is referencing at times being s prequel. I hate prequels tbh.

Yes 0 is a prequel and there will be some references someone might miss,but Kiwami 1&2 were maid with someone having played 0,so they might have some references to 0 themselves.Especially Kiwami 2 since it has the Majima saga extra story that serves as an epilogue to Majima's story from 0 and obviously contains massive spoilers for that,so anyone who hasn't played 0 should make sure to play that extra content after 0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom