Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
how would that work? doom without guns?
Probably a bit like Witchaven? It doesn't look like its entirely without guns or ranged weapons and areas with enemies seem to have a lot of cover, so I'm guessing those will be factors.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Now you have a chance to shoot more enemies with weapon pack from Deus Ex
image.png.5111ff7d05b3efedd37db983806df03a.png

both weapons upgrades and character skills included
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=76782&sid=57f16a22bea85f094a83c09e5b513ef2

Wunderbar

Arcane
Curratum FAL only appears in Dead Man Walking bonus campaign. In Ashes 2063 you don't get to use a rifle at all, and in Ashes Afterglow FAL is replaced by some AR-type carbine.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Curratum FAL only appears in Dead Man Walking bonus campaign. In Ashes 2063 you don't get to use a rifle at all, and in Ashes Afterglow FAL is replaced by some AR-type carbine.

Also to add some context, the FAL was originally a popular user mod for the original game. Vos added it as a bonus to Dead Man Walking with the permission of the author of the mod.

Curratum

I played Dead Man Walking all the way through, must have forgotten about the gun, weird! Thanks, guys!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I haven't really been on the Doomworld forums in at least 5 years since I saw the "Post Your Personal Pic!" thread and got scared off. No, actually I just don't play Doom and Doom II wads anymore though I should since they gave me great joy back in the day. It's always fun to check out the annual Cacowards. The summaries are always well-written and get me intrigued, just not intrigued enough

lightbane

Arcane
The awards page is as shit as usual, with seemingly no option to switch to the next page instead of having to scroll up and clicking each like a caveman. The descriptions are too wordy as usual, and IMO still require more pics, videos or whatever to better show why "x" Doom mod deserves an award.
Still no mention of Impie's works as he was condemned for being anti-woke and thus will be forever forgotten, even if he had made stuff recently.
Action Doom 2 is mentioned I think. Funny thing here: It's been blatantly censored. The first boss of that mod was a bunch of gay thugs parodying the YMCA thing, they're gone now and replaced with boring generics. You also had to beat down a very homo guy for info right afterwards, but surprisingly this bit was kept IIRC. Other stuff where gays were harmed though is absent from the longplay I watched if I'm not mistaken. Meanwhile, the female ninjas that you kill by the dozens are kept without issues.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Action Doom 2 is mentioned I think.
Of course it's mentioned, Browning is on the writing team again. Probably just to make sure his stuff gets in. He's always been pretty shameless about self-promotion, his posts get incredibly obnoxious when you notice half of them are "but we also did it in Action Doom you should play it". That's really the biggest problem with the Cacowards, too many of them are the same circle of friends patting each other on the back and giving each other awards. At least now that there are so many honorable mentions there's enough actual good stuff in there to not matter as much. But I agree about the needlessly verbose writing, it also mind-boggling that we're almost in 2023 and there's no way to search for a particular mention, and since nothing is indexed there's simply no way to find anything mentioned in the side bars short of doing Ctrl+F on every single page.

I still find them useful to check anything noteworthy that I may have missed, but the problem is that if something really good doesn't get one it almost automatically fades into obscurity, and a lot of very mediocre wads stay famous for decades because they got one (again, Browning and giving one to the original KDIZD).

lightbane

Arcane
I think that when they deleted the joke wad award, it was a sign of how things were going to end.
The worst part IMO is not the verbosity, but the lack of videos, images or whatever to show more why "x" mod is deserving an award.

By the way, random query time! I remember playing decades a wad which was called Doom 2000 or something, was set in a space station, and I found it quite cool at the time. I think it had only regular monsters, but there were some cool effects such as spaces that made constant damage and pushed you around to simulate a hull breach and being sucked y vacuum, forcing you to activate certain switches to "seal" the offending windows.

Any ideas? I just remember it was set in space and the "vacuum" bit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think that when they deleted the joke wad award, it was a sign of how things were going to end.
The worst part IMO is not the verbosity, but the lack of videos, images or whatever to show more why "x" mod is deserving an award.

By the way, random query time! I remember playing decades a wad which was called Doom 2000 or something, was set in a space station, and I found it quite cool at the time. I think it had only regular monsters, but there were some cool effects such as spaces that made constant damage and pushed you around to simulate a hull breach and being sucked y vacuum, forcing you to activate certain switches to "seal" the offending windows.

Any ideas? I just remember it was set in space and the "vacuum" bit.
To be honest I'm glad they got rid of the joke wad one, I think there were one or two wads that were actually funny, the others were just about the bottom of the barrel of wadmaking disguised as "lol but it's funneh!!1" and I really don't think this is the kind of wads that should've ever been encouraged.

Agreed about the verbosity and explaining why a mod deserves an award, but I do think both go hand in hand.

Doom 2000 was the name of the demo release of what eventually became Daedalus: Alien Defense. It's either that, or Tei Tenga as mentioned. Of the two I think Daedalus is much better but YMMV.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hexen: Scourge of Viscerus

Very good episode for Hexen. When it comes to difficulty, it's not very demanding. Just like in the original, we need to backtrack to solve some puzzles. But everything is done so well, that even once I didn't had a dead end moment. The whole thing took me less than 2 hours to finish, but it was really satisfying to play.

gzdoom2022-10-0814-07wyeg9.jpg

gzdoom2022-10-0814-57k9dvi.jpg

gzdoom2022-10-0819-00vedci.jpg

gzdoom2022-10-0819-04g0ik3.jpg

gzdoom2022-10-0819-08uxflz.jpg

gzdoom2022-10-0819-29che1a.jpg

gzdoom2022-10-0819-34myir5.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom