Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Greatest Gaming Series

What are your fave gaming series?

• Total voters

SumDrunkGuy

no STALKER?

i thought this was the codex

seems i must have stumbled upon a eunuch-themed website by mistake

Falksi ran out of poll slots apparently.

Falksi:

Ivan

Arcane
+Half Life, Max Payne, Silent Hill

voted: Yakuza, Mario, Souls

Last edited:

Utfärd

Great thread. Only one I can think of is Geneforge, 1 and 2 are superior but the sequels aren't shitty.

Machocruz

Arcane
Has to be Castlevania for me, no other has as many games I consider good to top tier games (in their genre). The first one, Dracula's Curse, SCIV, Bloodlines, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia. Simon's Quest is decent with the translation hack, and the music is among the best of the series. Lords of Shadows is a good GoW wannabe. Lament of Innocence could have been stronger but it's solid enough, never played Curse of Darkness but heard it's underrated.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I voted Far Cry. Each game in the series got progressively worse and did I care? No. as long as the core gameplay elements stayed the same (huge, fun open world, stealth kills with machete, fun side quests/activities, ridable vehicles and/or animals - hooray for elephants! - did I mention stealth kills?) I was happy. I just had to make sure I went into UI options first thing and disabled more & more dumbed down shit ie enemy silhouettes with each new entry in the series that was enabled by default. I go into each new Far Cry game expecting to hate it but I never do. I always have fun.

Falksi

Arcane
Add Rance and Battletech please! Off the top of my head

I think you ought to redo it dude. It's not allowing me to add any more options, and there's clearly some big hitters which I missed just before I tripped over the dustbin.
You can reset the poll I think, or if not Crispy or another mod could do it

I say Crispy nukes the thread and you do a new one chap. You're the poll master, and my George, Geoffrey, Zippy and bungled attempt shows I am not the chosen one.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Add Rance and Battletech please! Off the top of my head

I think you ought to redo it dude. It's not allowing me to add any more options, and there's clearly some big hitters which I missed just before I tripped over the dustbin.
You can reset the poll I think, or if not Crispy or another mod could do it

I say Crispy nukes the thread and you do a new one chap. You're the poll master, and my George, Geoffrey, Zippy and bungled attempt shows I am not the chosen one.
Its a tricky one:/ idk, Codex is edgy

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah, need 64bit poll or something. The poll of all polls! But as long as Elder Scrolls stays so unpopular it's still the best thread on the whole internet. :D:D:D I just voted for Dragon Quest and Donkey Kong to help them stay ahead bwahahah.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Voted for Might & Magic (and Heroes, I assume), Football Manager (and Championship Manager, the series old name, I assume), and Civilization in the poll. My other two series, Age of Empires and Half Life (for what the base game did in terms of mods, engine, multiplayer support, etc for the whole industry), aren't in the poll.
As a guilty pleasure I might've added Warcraft, but half the games in that series aren't actually good, so probably not.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Knack

6f3.gif

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I vote Yakuza because of the amount of games the series has, that I also like. I have tried 13 games in the series, and I have enjoyed 12 of those.

0-7 are all games that I like. I tried, but did not get very far in the two PSP games. I also tried, but did not get very far in the two samurai Yakuza games. I liked them, but they had no English fan translations or guides at that point in time. The only game in the series that I don't like is Dead Souls.

There might be a few series that I like better, but none has the same amount of games that I like.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Fist of the North Star, and both Judgment games, that are basically Yakuza games. They are also good.

I did vote on a few others, but that's actually 15/16 games that I like.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Castlevania, Diablo (only 1/2), Streets of Rage, Shadowrun, King of Fighters.

Castlevania - With the exception of those shitty PS3 GoW clones, this has always been a tight series. I dig the whole "it's a horror genre mugen" thing they got going on by including all sorts of monsters from folklore and mythology and literature and I like how the series excellently reinvented itself in the late '90s from a classic sidescroller action game to a Metroid style RPG-lite. The PS2 entries were fun too.

Diablo 1/2 - Best games of their type over 20 years later. The whole Diabloclone genre itself is stale as shit and don't really take the important parts of why D1/D2 are classic games beyond autistic "builds builds builds!!!" and item hunting.

Streets of Rage - Not a single bad game in this series. Consistently high quality, satisfying and impactful beat 'em up rivaled by very few. I wanna bang Blaze and get electrocuted by Electra so bad I just want that fishnet thigh-high wearing slut to fucking tie me down and

Shadowrun - SNES Shadowrun was a cool game and had a great aesthetic which made it feel very noir-ish. Genesis Shadowrun is one of the most underrated RPGs that nails cyberpunk even down to its UI. Shadowrun then went into a crazy downward spiral and thought it was a competitive FPS game and everybody cried at how much of an ugly whore it became but Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong salvaged its reputation well enough. I enjoyed all three of the new games and find them to be "just right" in terms of length. They don't overstay their welcome and have surprisingly likeable characters.

King of Fighters - The best fighting game series ever made, bar none. Will go to war over this. Don't fucking try it, amigo.

Lemming42

Arcane
The problem I'm having here is that videogame franchises seem uniquely disposed to having really shit instalments.

Like, Tomb Raider - the first two games are among my favourites of all time, but if I say it's one of the "greatest gaming series", I'm including so much awful shit, including all of Crystal Dynamics' disasters and especially the awful 2013 reboot ones. Shit!

Fallout - Fallout is outstanding, Fo2 is a largely-positive mixed bag, NV is great, Tactics is what it is, I'll very lukewarmly defend some parts of Fo3, but then... BoS? Fo4? Fo76? Fucking Fallout Shelter? There's more bad than good in the Fallout series at this point.

Doom as well - first one is great, second one is less great, Final Doom is very mixed, Doom 3 is a bit shit (sorry, apologists!), nuDooM is a complete bore.

Pretty much no matter what series you pick, there's always some bullshit lurking in the roster of games, sabotaging everything.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Surely the best franchise all over must be Might&Magic.
MM1 and 2 are some of the very best hard core blobbers, and I would think 3-5 the most accessible ones to modern playes.
MM6 is one of the best 3D open world CRPGs, and 7 and 8 are pretty good too.

Heroes of Might and Magic are some of the most enjoyable turn based strategy games, with lots of brilliant user made maps made, and it still has a thriving modding community.

And Dark Messiah is one of the most enjoyable single player real time FPP games.

Even if there are some stinkers (Crusaders, HoMM 6 and 7 from what I've read), I can't think of other franchises with a similar variety and generally high quality (but do enlighten/remind me if there are).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom