Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Dayyālu

Arcane
It kinda reminds me that FPS about time traveling commando in world dominated by soviets because of some soviet experiment. I think that Mandalore reviewed this game but im not sure.

Singularity, one of Raven's software games, early 2010ies if I remember right. Worthwile attempt, but severe development problems resulted in a somewhat cut game. Still fun tho, liked it more than Wolf09.

This has already been posted, and I ask again, I am supposed to be impressed by this? When even interactions that are handpicked to look good seem choppy and chaotic, you aren't selling well your cause. HLVR needs to be immensely superior to this.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It kinda reminds me that FPS about time traveling commando in world dominated by soviets because of some soviet experiment. I think that Mandalore reviewed this game but im not sure.

Singularity, one of Raven's software games, early 2010ies if I remember right. Worthwile attempt, but severe development problems resulted in a somewhat cut game. Still fun tho, liked it more than Wolf09.

This has already been posted, and I ask again, I am supposed to be impressed by this? When even interactions that are handpicked to look good seem choppy and chaotic, you aren't selling well your cause. HLVR needs to be immensely superior to this.

The fact that you can run up to someone and effortlessly pull out the magazine from their gun solidifies it as a gimmick and not something meant to be played seriously.

Mojobeard

Augur
Trailer sounds like they got Sharlto Copley, who was in Hardcore Henry.
The hobo looking guy? Sharlto's one of my favorite actors from the past 10 years, but it didn't sound like a South African accent, nor did it sound like him.
Quick Googling says it's someone named Rhys Darby, a kiwi. He even tweeted the announcement.

It looks phenomenal.
I don't have a VR headset nor I plan to buy one anytime soon (more for logistic limitations that for the price barrier, I simply don't have the room for it) but I can be honest about it.

I don't feel the urge to be the autistic grognard just because I can't afford it.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Hahahahaha this looks abysmally mediocre. It looks like every other VR shit out there, complete with the floating disembodied hands as your main interface in the game as the character.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It looks phenomenal.
I don't have a VR headset nor I plan to buy one anytime soon (more for logistic limitations that for the price barrier, I simply don't have the room for it) but I can be honest about it.

It looks phenomenal visually, sure. That doesn't mean I want to play a VR game. I can assure you I'm being honest about that part.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Trailer looks nice, but I'm not bothering if I can't mod it to 2D. I know the community will try. VR kits are too low res. The couple of thousand pixels are right in front of your eyes. Bring your face really close to your monitor and notice how shitty that is. The fact that a VR kit has many times the resolution of the space you're looking at on your monitor (if you did what I told you to do) still doesn't completely mitigate the problem. You can see the pixels. I've tried VR.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think VR probably has potential if used correctly.

This one certainty looks visually impressive, and some of the thing elements such as searching for supplies look like they could be pretty fun in VR.

My concern is whether such moments would occur naturally during gameplay, or only during very scripted moments. Also I'd be interested in seeing some longer combats to see if enemies react naturally or take long pauses to give players time to react/move around.

Dexter

Arcane
Samsung Odyssey+ is apparently available for $229: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Wireless-Controllers-XE800ZBA-HC1US/dp/B07HS7R1RT
It has a 2880x1600 OLED display (same resolution as the Valve Index or Vive Pro) but only 90Hz, integrated Headphones and uses 2 Front Cameras for Tracking. The Controllers kinda suck compared to Oculus Touch or Valve Knuckles, but they're functional enough and compatible with SteamVR (and more importantly have Analogue sticks for movement, which the Vive Wands do not). It's probably the best of the "budget" WMR HMD's one can get.

Swigen

Arbiter
giphy.gif

Egosphere

Arcane
I think VR probably has potential if used correctly.

This one certainty looks visually impressive, and some of the thing elements such as searching for supplies look like they could be pretty fun in VR.

My concern is whether such moments would occur naturally during gameplay, or only during very scripted moments. Also I'd be interested in seeing some longer combats to see if enemies react naturally or take long pauses to give players time to react/move around.
I'm going to guess that they enemies will give you ample time to react. Every vr shooter that I've watched did not match the intensity of a 'flat' one. It's impossible to shoot quickly whilst aiming instead of just flicking your wrist.

Mortmal

Arcane
Do like em shipping fees lel. Must be a private uber jet pilot bringing me the package.
zcc4UUr.jpg
Dang. It's free in the US and like $60 to other civilized parts of Europe. Must be hazard pay for delivering to Sweden. :lol:
Must be that, a whole strike team have to paid to deliver them in the heart of the caliphate . fee is 80$ for France too, not such a good deal anymore either.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Meh, I usually order from UK or .DE Amazon sites and there is usually 5-10 euros shipping fee. Fuck the 'kwans.

I did get a bit hyped up for VR, might get something for Black Friday but its still way too expensive to justify the bang for buck value.
Oculus S is about 550 euros here, new Vive is just shameless in pricing with full set at 1400 euros and Index can also suck a dick for 1079 euros.

Cheapest alternative I found was a used Playstation VR kit from Gamestop for ca 120 euros, plus I'd need a camera and move controllers and thats another 120-130 euros. So ca 250 for whole "experience".
But I'll wait for Black Friday deals to see if there's some decent price drops on it so I can get a new v2 version in same price range. Also pricing on these popular VR games is the best on PS store from what Ive seen compared to Steam or Oculus store.
30 bucks for a fucking Beatsaber? Simple gimmick game? Nigga plz.

Mortmal

Arcane
Meh, I usually order from UK or .DE Amazon sites and there is usually 5-10 euros shipping fee. Fuck the 'kwans.

I did get a bit hyped up for VR, might get something for Black Friday but its still way too expensive to justify the bang for buck value.
Oculus S is about 550 euros here, new Vive is just shameless in pricing with full set at 1400 euros and Index can also suck a dick for 1079 euros.

Cheapest alternative I found was a used Playstation VR kit from Gamestop for ca 120 euros, plus I'd need a camera and move controllers and thats another 120-130 euros. So ca 250 for whole "experience".
But I'll wait for Black Friday deals to see if there's some decent price drops on it so I can get a new v2 version in same price range. Also pricing on these popular VR games is the best on PS store from what Ive seen compared to Steam or Oculus store.
30 bucks for a fucking Beatsaber? Simple gimmick game? Nigga plz.
Oculus rift s supposed to get 50 euros discount for black friday on amazon. Not enough of a discount still. Could just get a whole new console and some exclusives instead, bang for buck value is lowest possible.

Dexter

Arcane
Don't go that way. It's one of the very few HMDs that I wouldn't recommend buying at all for PC. Been over this with Perkel here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/sooo-i-bought-vr-psvr-for-pc.116244/#post-5189719

You will have to use wonky third party Drivers to make it pretend it's a SteamVR HMD: https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/ and the Controllers are the worst on top, even worse than the Vive Wands or the WMR ones that each WMR Headset comes with. You will have problems running most basic games and the Tracking is kinda shit too, since it uses the "PlayStation Camera", which is basically rebranded EyeToy.

It works if you have a PS4, but it's literally the worst choice for PC and will cause the most headache, since it's one of the few headsets that's non-native and not really supported.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...xe800zba_hc1us_hmd_odyssey_windows_mixed.html also sells the Odyssey+ at the same price and seems to have cheaper shipping options btw. with DHL Express.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thx Dexter , in that link shipping is only $35, lel. Good price too, have no idea why this isnt available overhere. If you got a good product with half or quarter the price as the competitors why the fuck not sell it everywhere.

I was thinking of playing PSVR only with PS4, didnt even think it could work on PC. Cool that it can in any shape tho.
Move controllers look gay, but some of the games look really good like Astrobot and Wipeout remake. Even that new Concrete Genie looks like something my kid that likes to draw IRL would enjoy.

Dexter

Arcane
I was thinking of playing PSVR only with PS4, didnt even think it could work on PC. Cool that it can in any shape tho.
Move controllers look gay, but some of the games look really good like Astrobot and Wipeout remake. Even that new Concrete Genie looks like something my kid that likes to draw IRL would enjoy.
It works well enough on the PS4 and there's some good shit on there that never made it to PC too. For instance Resident Evil VII is only available in VR on PSVR for some reason.

And there's indeed also some stuff that a child would enjoy like Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Ghost Giant or Playroom VR:

It's also got some other Excl00sives like Golem, Farpoint, Wipeout Omega Collection, The Persistence, Blood & Truth, FromSoft's Deracine, Tetris Effect, Table of Tales and the upcoming Eric Chahi game Paper Beast.

Venser

Erudite
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is a must on PSVR and Thumper is great as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom