Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard West 2 - sequel from Ice Code Games

Harthwain

Magister
I never played the first one. Don't know it worked the same way.
It has been a while since I played Hard West 1, but I don't recall anything like that.

I always considered it to be an upside, because it meant cover was SUPER important and contributed to shootouts feeling like the ones in the westerns.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
perhaps you could get such bonus from card set, cant remember them at this point.

From demo experience, 2nd one is heavy on magic and utilities while 1st was more gun play

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/hard-west-2-is-so-much-more-than-supernatural-cowboy-xcom

Hard West 2 is so much more than supernatural cowboy XCOM​

We sit down with devs Ice Code Games ahead of launch to take a deeper look at its new Bravado system

Bank robberies are classic cowboy fare. Whether you're up to no good in Red Dead Redemption 2 or stealing from the rich to (sort of) give to the poor in the original Desperados, these temples of cash have long been the scenes of messy shootouts, upturned tables, and big, golden pay-outs. At least when your heist strategy's going according to plan, that is. In an exclusive demo for one of the later levels in Hard West 2, the upcoming sequel to the 2015 turn-based tactics original, Ice Code Games' chief technology officer Mateusz Pilski is starting to feel the heat a bit. The bank is well guarded, with at least half a dozen gunslingers staking out the doors at the front, and untold numbers waiting in hidden nooks and crannies further back. He takes a moment to consider his approach, but he begins his assault with confidence.

"In any XCOM-like, when you see that many enemies and that much firepower, in that good a position, you think, okay, I'm fucked up," he tells me. "In just a second, I will show you how you can use Bravado to totally overturn the situation."

Bravado is a new addition to the Hard West series, but the way it refuels your posse's action points on KO-ing an enemy will be instantly familiar to anyone who's dabbled in recent strategy games such as Gears Tactics or Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate – Daemonhunters. However, whereas those games rewarded successful executions with a single bonus action point for your teammates, entering Bravado in Hard West 2 will renew the whole kit and kaboodle for the character doing the killing, effectively letting them take another full turn right there and then.

With the right planning, this can lead to some pretty outrageous chain attacks, and indeed, moments beforehand in my preview session, Pilski had made short work of the sheriff's defence force in the neighbouring street doing exactly this: using Bravado to take out multiple enemies at once, often in single turns, before they'd even had a chance to attack. Of course, taking out seven enemies in one go, pretty much with a single character in this instance, might have some of you worried that Hard West 2 is going to be too easy when it launches next week on August 4th - and it's something the team at Ice Code Games have been particularly mindful of during development.

A cowboy weighs up whether to shoot an opponent behind cover inside a mansion in Hard West 2
Sadly, these are not screenshots from my bank level preview, but they are from previously unseen missions later on in Hard West 2. Here, Gin weighs up whether to shoot an enemy throw a nearby window for a 75% chance of hitting him.

"Designing Hard West 2, we really wanted the gameplay to feel different and to feel western," lead producer Grzegorz Ziemba tells me. "If you've played any other XCOM-likes, you've probably noticed that the standard gameplay doesn't really match a western setting. While in XCOM-likes you usually hide behind cover, use overwatch and basically react to what the enemy does and wait for the opportunity, Hard West 2 is all about being aggressive, being all in your face. It's you who's coming for all of them."

Admittedly, I'm not sure I'd be half as efficient if I was the one making the decisions here, and it's clear from watching Pilski and Ziemba's playthrough of this bank mission that using Bravado effectively will require some very un-XCOM-like thinking to achieve the same kind of killstreaks.

"Bravado isn't just for killing enemies, it's also about positioning," Pilski adds. "For example, here, I could stay behind the cover and have this guy for 75% chance to hit. But this isn't XCOM. This is Hard West. And you can go on the centre on the street, like a true cowboy, shoot this guy with 100%, and now after that I can reposition again, and maybe this time I will hide because I'm not sure if I'm able to kill those [other] guys right now."

A cowboy shoots a mercenary on top of a train in Hard West 2
The opening train heist isn't the only one you'll be tackling in Hard West 2.

Using Bravado as a positioning tool is something I hadn't really considered when playing the closed beta back in May, and watching it all play out in the hands of someone who actually knows what they're doing certainly makes it feel like it's in-keeping with the cowboy fantasy. It may not be quite as immediate as wiping out an entire gang in the blink of an eye with Red Dead Redemption 2's real-time Dead Eye targeting, for example, but it's still playing up to this idea of using your lightning fast quickdraw skills (or in Pilski's case, the frenzied tomahawk swings of the tank-like Laughing Deer) to be the fastest gun in the west, taking out bad guys one pew pew pew at a time.

I'd argue it's also a more convincing cowboy fantasy than other western-themed tactics games such as Desperados 3 have managed in the past, too. Sure, Desperados is a stealth-tactics series by nature, often favouring if not necessitating a softer approach by default. But as much as developer Mimimi Games tried encouraging us to go in guns blazing in 2020's excellent third entry in the series, firing off a bullet still felt like a failure in many respects – a scuff mark to be hastily erased with a tap of the quick-load key.

A screenshot of Hard West 2 showing some cowboys on horses chasing after a train at night.
The game starts with a classic train robbery, only this train belongs to the Devil himself. Oops.

"People have to find a way to properly plan their movements," Pilski continues. "This is not about having a very good build and powerful weapons. Of course, this is important to a point, but it's not crucial. What's crucial is to outsmart the enemy and find the proper way to chain your actions and use Bravado as much as you can."

It helps that your posse of characters in Hard West 2 are made of sterner stuff than their 2015 predecessors. While leaving characters out of cover often spelled certain doom in the original game, thanks in no small part to its punishing permadeath, your party in Hard West 2 now have more HP as standard, and falling in battle will see you starting over from the latest checkpoint instead of slogging it out with drastically reduced numbers. This was partly to encourage players "to get out there, experiment, push forward, play badass," Ziemba tells me, citing the shootouts of The Magnificent Seven as a key touchstone (or should that be Tombstone?) for what the team are trying to achieve here. "The game is challenging, especially on Hard and Nightmare difficulties," he continues, "but it doesn't punish players with irreversible posse members’ losses for making mistakes."

But there was another reason for getting rid of permadeath as well, and that's so the team could tell a more authored story about the gang sitting at the heart of it all. "In Hard West 2 we wanted to tell a bigger, more complex story," says Ziemba. "Each posse member has a unique backstory and their character arcs are intertwined with the main plot. We wouldn’t be able to do that if our cast could die at any moment. Besides, if we killed a character voice acted by, for example fans’ favourite Kevin Conroy, we would be in much bigger trouble than Carter's posse!"

Lazarus performs a supernatural transfusion in Hard West 2
Lazarus is one of the many new posse members you'll encounter over the course of Hard West 2. His special ability, Transfusion, lets him swap HP with another unit on the field.

Indeed, as fans of the original game will know already, Hard West isn't just about spaghetti western shootouts. Whereas XCOM has its strategy layer to keep you busy between missions, Hard West 2 shifts gear into more of a text-based RPG in its quieter moments, presenting you with a top-down map to trot your way through on horseback, and lots of Disco Elysium-style dialogues to pick through, albeit without that game's mad inner monologuing. Of course, this being set in the weird west (although not quite that Weird West), there's still a good helping of supernatural and unholy goings on to contend with here, but that's not to say these sections are completely devoid of action. In the beta, for instance, these text-based scenes contained everything from mini shootouts to digging up loot from old corpses, the spoils from which you were then free to use in your loadout, or sell on for more cash at the next town.

"Big combat missions are the ones that are connected to the main plot, while miniature shootouts are more like little tactical challenges," Pilski explains. "Encounters that are played through text are mostly ones that follow some of western tropes that did not translate to turn-based combat. For example, a classical high noon, middle of the street revolver duel was presented through a narrative encounter, as a fight in an open field with one character wouldn’t make an interesting tactical challenge." There was always a temptation to try and turn more of these into bigger combat missions, he adds, but "at some point you need to finish the game".

Which brings us back to the bank. To prepare his assault, Pilski uses the special ability of new character Lazarus to heal Laughing Deer, who at this point is looking a little worse for wear after almost singlehandedly smashing the skulls of every enemy on the map so far. Pilski roughly categorises Lazarus as a "support character, but not in the classical meaning of it," he says, hinting at Hard West 2's other big draw: you're not just fighting inhabitants of the weird west's underbelly, after all – when you lose a bet with the devil himself in the very first mission of the game, you yourself also become a part of the local weird brigade.

A posse of cowboys ride into town in Hard West 2
Outside of missions, Hard West 2 plays out like a text-based RPG, with the posse travelling between towns on an overworld map. "We like to think about Hard West 2 as a story driven tactical game with RPG elements," says Ziemba. "It’s not a fully fledged RPG [though], the story won’t branch wildly according to the player's choices."

"The skill he has is called Transfusion, and it allows you to switch your health points and statues with another unit," Pilski explains. "So here I have Laughing Deer who only has 9HP, I can switch with him. Thanks to that, Laughing Deer is now at full health." Of course, this means Lazarus is now a sitting duck. "Not to worry," says Pilski without missing a beat, "as we can switch with this guy [another enemy further inside the bank] who has 20 health." And just like that, the party is healed and someone is looking primed and ready for a bit of Bravado time right about now. "In this way," Pilski says, "I was able to heal my posse, but in a different way to other games."

At last, it's time for the final big murder run with Laughing Deer. After using Wild Run to get to his first poor victim (a move which does more damage the further he travels), Laughing Deer uses his second wind of Bravado moves to be the first one inside the bank. Six cowboys await him on this floor, but more of them are hiding up the stairs just waiting to take a pop shot at him. Before that, though, Laughing Deer swaps his tomahawk for his shotgun, allowing him to kill one and wound another in its wide firing range. The Bravado horn blasts again, allowing him to reposition and repeat the tactic not once, but twice for a total of three kills.

A wave of bullets erupt from an old man in Hard West 2L
ike Hard West 1, Luck plays a key role in battle. "With luck, each time you get hit or miss a shot, your characters will gain a bit of luck that you can use to boost your chance to hit in your next action," Ziemba explains. "On the one hand, it seems that it makes the game easier, but it actually makes the game more deterministic and less reliant on RNG. That's how we made the challenge more manageable."

Flynn then moves in with her Shadow Swap to bring another gunslinger on the balcony into Laughing Deer's orbit. Three tomahawk clubs later and he's racked up a fourth kill. Then Flynn throws a stick of blue dynamite at another to both wound and inflict some extra fire damage, allowing Laughing Deer swoop in to claim his fifth.

A postcard of a town next to several text options of where you can visit in Hard West 2
The weird and wonderful
"The visual style of Hard West 2, on top of being a continuation of the style of its predecessor, was also influenced by Weird Western-themed visual novels like Jonah Hex or Just a Pilgrim," says Ziemba. The team also worked directly with Matt Forbeck, co-creator of the pen and paper RPG Deadlands, which the first Hard West also took a lot of inspiration from. "Matt was involved in the project from very early on, he brought in some great ideas and helped us understand the setting. He also co-wrote the story and directed voice overs."

But the Pilski stops dead, and it's clear something hasn't quite to plan. "So I made a mistake and probably I will have to pay for it in my blood," he jests. "But this is also what tactical games are about. You can't always make a perfect move. I'm afraid I will lose Flynn here, but let us see."

Alas, as Pilski runs out of moves, it quickly becomes apparent that neither Flynn or Laughing Deer are going to last long against the oncoming horde, and a Game Over screen materialises after just a couple of attacks. "As you can see, it's not that simple to use all those mechanics," he says. "On higher levels, it's quite difficult to find the proper way to use Bravado perfectly. But this is something that we think is great for the game, because the challenge that we give the players is different to other XCOM-likes. You have to find the chain kills."

After a quick reload to just outside the bank again, he tries for a second time to take the bank vault, employing other new character Cla'lish's demon summoning ability as a potential decoy tactic. Unfortunately, that too goes south pretty fast. On the third attempt, Pilski moves Flynn in first, using dynamite to soften up three of the welcoming party, before throwing another stick to kill her first target. She enters Bravado and shotguns two more, kill one and wounding the other. Like before, Pilski repeats this a couple of times to thin the crowds and then Shadow Swaps with his final victim to pull them out of cover. They swiftly meet the end of Flynn's shotgun like the rest of them, giving Flynn yet another bout of Bravado, but Pilski knows his limits this time.

A cowboy ricochets a bullet off a sign to kill an enemy in cover in Hard West 2
Just like the first game, ricochet bullets are back in a big way for Hard West 2. "Every time you see cover, you can be pretty sure there's a frying pan or a sign board nearby you or an enemy can ricochet a bullet off to bypass the buff you get from the cover," Ziemba says.

"This is a good point for a tactical retreat," he says, "and I can actually do the tactical retreat with Flynn with this guy that I left behind!" Right on cue, Pilski initiates another Shadow Swap with the one straggler he left alive outside, and Flynn is now safe and sound from the imminent swarms of enemies about to bust through the rest of the bank's corridors. He'll still need to fight his way through them to get the vault, of course, but the hard part of getting through the doors is over. Now, it's a matter of picking them off one by one and stealing his way to victory. "In this way, I just went into this bank, killed everybody and disappeared," he says.

A classic cowboy heist, in other words, and one I can't wait to try and inevitably fail at myself when Hard West 2 launches in little over a week - and if you missed the closed beta back in May, then make sure you give this week's pre-launch demo a try, which lets you play the first chapter of the game for free from July 28th to August 1st.

Lemming42

Arcane
The chain attack idea sounds kind of cool. One of the characters in XCOM Chimera Squad could do something similar which was always really satisfying if you managed to set it up for a mega-chain. If encounters are designed specifically with the mechanic in mind it could be great.

distant

Learned
Hard West just had a free weekend. Didn't expect much but damn that was surprisingly cool. Easy 3 dollar buy. Now I'm nearly done with it and very interested in this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/hard-west-2-review-absolutely-stellar-fun

Hard West 2 review - absolutely stellar fun​

Colt hero.

Hard West 2
Eurogamer.net - Recommended badge

Clever tweaks to a brilliant formula make this a tactics game just built for experimentation.

Someone once wrote - I can't find the piece, of course - that the reason Peanuts is better, and also weirder and sadder, than other gag comic strips is that it has four panels rather than three. Most comic strips find that three is enough, and why wouldn't it be enough? Setup, development, punchline. The fourth panel in Peanuts is where things get weird and sad. A moment after the joke. A human moment, awkward and brilliant and often deeply memorable.

Anyway, I thought of this yesterday when pondering why most XCOM-alike tactics games have two action points, while Hard West 2 has three.

Let's take it back to the start: Jake Solomon's XCOM reboot Enemy Unknown hit on something very special when it reduced the complexity of a turn-based tactics game down to a simple idea: each unit can do two things per turn. You can move and shoot, or you can move twice, etc etc. It's not really a reduction in complexity, actually, but a clever repositioning of complexity. By making the rules of the game clear and non-fiddly, it allowed players to understand that the really engaging decisions lay out there on the actual battlefield. It wasn't how to move and shoot, it was what you might do through moving and shooting.

Deep breath. Lots of games took that and ran with it. It became clear, in fact, that Solomon and his team at Firaxis had basically created a new sub-genre in tactics games: the XCOM-alike. A lot of XCOM-alikes take the two-action-points-per-turn business and transpose it to a new theme. You get great games like this, of which I believe the original Hard West was one. XCOM but ghostly cowboys. Yes please.

But three action points? This is properly building on the basics of the genre in interesting ways. Move, then shoot, and then...? Answering that question is where a lot of the fun of Hard West 2 lies. (I think Hard West 2 introduces the third action point, but no matter if I'm wrong and it's in the first game - Hard West 2's certainly been the game in which I first started to really think about the whole thing.) What kind of fun? Fun like synergies between units! Synergies like, you know, blowing up another of your own units on purpose.

Hold that thought. Right. Hard West 2 is another spooky cowboy game. It's the old west, but everything's gothic and frightening. A ghost train is terrorising the plains, controlled by an actual demon who has a proper beef with you. Get a posse together, tool up, and get after the train. That's all you need to know about the plot, really, other than that it allows for ambushes, bank jobs, mining town shoot-outs, train robberies, and all that great cowboy stuff - with added ghosts, of course.

Hard West 2
The story sections feel a bit more restrained than in the first game, but it's still a blast.

Taken as an XCOM-alike it's still an exemplary force for clarity. Instead of building a base between missions you move around a map, uncovering new locations like towns and haunted shacks and evil trees. You play out narrative set-pieces that may strengthen bonds with members of your posse (these grant new traits and abilities) or get you some extra loot or cash. You heal in towns - after each mission here, you do not auto-heal, which is worth knowing from the off - and you talk to sheriffs and take on side quests and hang out in saloons. And then there are the missions themselves.

Let's take it one thing at a time. You can choose a selection of your posse to go into each mission, and you can equip them with weapons and sub-weapons ranging from pistols to rifles to melee whacking things. You can give them stat-boosting trinkets and equipment like band-aids or grenades or tins of beans. And you can equip them with playing cards - this definitely was in the original Hard West but it's so good we're going to go over it again here, because I love it.

Playing cards! You win them from missions and then use them to make hands. Each unit can have a five card hand, and depending on which cards you give them, it opens up new traits and abilities. A pair might allow you to swap XP with an ally, two pair might grant you a status effect after a kill, while a flush might allow you to swap an in-battle resource for a full heal. Here's the thing, though: five cards. Not much to play with, is it? So if you have a flush, good for you - but you can't have two pair at the same time. So traits and abilities are this endless choice. The lord giveth and taketh away, with a flourish. It's the kind of character build choice that I love in a game like this, because it's exciting - abilities are exciting - but it's also painful. It hurts to lose out on something, even just for one mission. And it makes you lust over those cards like they're made of diamond.

Hard West 2
Cor.

All of this stuff matters because missions require the absolute most of you and your units. You can screw up here because you took the wrong units onto the battlefield, but also because they had the wrong equipment on them, and the wrong cards firing the wrong skills and abilities to flickering life. That's not quite true, because it makes it sound infuriating and binary. What I mean is that I have made the wrong selections for the play style that it turns out I want to play on the map I am faced with at that moment. Maps are huge and rangey here - valleys and chasms and dusty main streets that go on for ages. Plenty of enemies, and different types of enemies. And let's stop here for a second to talk about the one thing in Hard West 2 that I love most of all.

It's called Bravado, and it's so good that I could see the genre-shifting potential in it when I first read about it in an excited email from a friend. Those three action points: use them to kill an enemy, and WHAM. You get them all back again. So you kill someone, and you get a unit completely refreshed. Maybe you then kill someone else: WHAM. Bravado kicks in and you're good to go once more. You can chain kills, refreshing yourself with each dead baddy.

The end result of all this stuff is that I have finished a mission and then immediately replayed it, rather than moving onto the next. The next will be great, sure, but I want to experiment with what I just played again.
So much to talk about here. Firstly, yes, it means that a screen filled with baddies might actually be a turn's work rather than an entire evening, which is very nice if you have a dinner reservation. Secondly, it adds a chugging propulsiveness to the game that rivals the pounding energy of the most thundering wild west locomotive. Thematic resonance, mates. Also! It encourages you to take risks - to over-extend yourself because you're betting big. It encourages you to use your units together - you whittle these guys down and then I will sweep in and kill them one two three just like that, to butcher a beloved cummings poem. And also: you can trigger bravado even if you kill one of your own guys, by blowing them up. Repeat: blowing up your own guys is a synergy strategy here, and far from the only one.

I will leave you to unravel the synergies themselves, because there's three acts-worth of fun in that alone. Suffice to say enemy designs only make things more tricksy and compelling. Grenade guys - I forget the actual names, demolishers? - are the worst. The moment they appear and start to charge I drop what I'm doing and try to take them out. Not because grenades are a pain, although they are, but because grenades cause bleeding, and bleeding leeches HP with every action a character takes, until they're appropriately healed. So drop everything and get the grenade guys. Ditto the evil spooky guys who can swap HP with you. Ditto the guys who can regain HP between turns: meat grinder territory. Hard West 2 isn't against throwing in some soft targets to turn Bravado into a little set-piece puzzle when you're in a spot, but the deeper you go, the more you find yourself thinking about target prioritisation above all else. Who to kill first.

Hard West 2
There's a lovely range of environments.

And who to do it with. This is finally where the character skills come in. You may have to heal your characters after each battle, but on the plus side, you can't lose them for good - if they die in a mission, they resuscitate afterwards. This means you'll be taking the same handful of heroes through the entire game, and learning how to get the most out of their skills over a long period of time. And what skills! One guy can barrage everything in a path in front of him. Another can swap places with another unit, hurting them as they go, effectively pulling a sniper, say, down from a distant tower and into the midst of your posse. Even standard weapons feel a bit like skills when you learn to use ricochet, targeting certain pieces of the scenery to shoot around corners and pull off impossible shots. Every game that has cover should also have ricochet. It's a treat.

The end result of all this stuff - and I'm leaving some things out, I'm sure, like horses! You can ride horses here! - is that I have finished a mission and then immediately replayed it, rather than moving onto the next. The next will be great, sure, but I want to experiment with what I just played again. I want to try a different approach - staying high for a power boost, or using luck more, a system that sees you gain a greater chance to hit enemies with every shot you miss, and every shot that misses you. I want to see what happens if I don't prioritise the enemies I think I should, or if I move quicker, or take different paths.

I love tactics games, I think, because of all genres, these are the games you really live in. You move so fast through a platformer or an FPS, but with a tactics game I can spend a half hour spinning the screen, clicking on enemies, trying to get a bit more out of a move I haven't even made yet. I lean back and I lean forward, taking in the whole vista one moment, and then pondering the potential of a single unit, a single skill, the next. All of that and ghostly cowboys? All of that and Bravado? All of that and that third action point to make sense of? Yes please. Absolutely.

ADL

Prophet
To be honest I wasn't expecting this to be great but the initial wave of reviews are quite positive.

distant

Learned
To be honest I wasn't expecting this to be great but the initial wave of reviews are quite positive.

This dude was real positive about the first game as well so I'm excited. Can't wait to play it in like 6 months when everything is all patched up.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing I want to know if the game use that weird abstract luck based system like the first game.

Jinn

Arcane
So, uh, wasn't this game supposed to be being developed by a shovelware money-laundering-scheme game company that essentially ousted the original team and stole their IP?

And...it's turning out to be a good game? I guess I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for further codexian impressions.

Jinn

Arcane
It's okay a large number of the original developers wound up together working on this: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-reality-show-from-hard-west-creators.144015/.

Yeah, I was aware of that. Interestingly enough, Hard West II looks closer to what I would have wanted out of the first Hard West in terms of gameplay, progression, and length. I'll have to see where that Homicidal All-Stars ends up, but a few of the things Kacper has been saying in that thread don't have me feeling all that optimistic about it. Also, the reality-show Battle Royale premise isn't my biggest cup of tea either, so that might be cooling my interest a bit too.

Acrux

Arcane
I liked Hard West okay, but this is surprisingly good. This is the game I was hoping Weird West would be.

TC Jr

Scholar
So basically the first game with better/tighter gameplay? Sounds great, I enjoyed the first game but honestly didn't give a shit about the story or dialogue.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Took the plunge. I loved the first game so I guess I'll see how this one is.

By all accounts it seems to be more of the same.

Saduj

Arcane
Played through the tutorial and 1st chapter last night. Here are some initial observations, to be taken with a grain of salt as the 1st chapter is very brief:

• Luck system is still in place but is less important as the game now focuses more on special abilities and chaining kills. When a character scores a kill, they get full AP back, which is as powerful as it sounds. Also, opportunities to use ricochets for higher % to hit flanking shots are all over the place, which also makes luck less important.
  • Some of the maps are large but combat tends to take place in closer quarters than in the 1st game. Turtling is less of an option than in the 1st game. Not sure exactly how it works but there seems to be some sort of pod system where once an enemy spots you, he will call in the rest of his group (but not all enemies on map). Maps are set up so that when you encounter a new group, at least some enemies will be able to get in close quickly.
  • Combat is pretty lethal. Chaining kills can make some scenarios very easy. Leaving characters out in the open will be punished. Enemies generally go down in 1-3 shots and your characters go down in about 3 shots.
  • The game presents as more of an RPG but the 1st chapter was pretty much on the rails. You don't have to go immediately to the next objective and exploration can be rewarded, mostly when you find a minor location where everything is handled in text. So far, finding a major location out of order means that the location will be locked until you do something else first. By major location, I mean somewhere with its own map and combat.
  • The poker hand system is back and this is still the major way of customizing characters. Each individual card grants a passive bonus, as in the 1st game. The change is that instead of each made hand unlocking a specific bonus, character special abilities unlock based on how good their hand is. Every hand unlocks all abilities for that hand and any weaker hand. So for example, if you have three of a kind, you unlock the abilities for three of kind, one pair and two pair. Characters can equip two weapons, two consumables and a trinket as well.
  • There is fighting from horseback but so far I've only seen it in the tutorial.
Based on what I've seen so far, I liked the 1st game more. The change where enemies seem to be triggered in pods so that you fight smaller battles in areas of a map instead of one big battle on an entire map is the culprit. But, as I said, the 1st chapter is very brief and still has a tutorial feel to it even after playing the official tutorial.

Edit: Also, the AP is: Each character gets 3 AP. Pistol and shotguns take 2 AP to fire. A rifle takes three. The only melee weapon I have so far does less damage but only takes 1 AP to use. On a kill, character is restored to 3 AP.

2nd Edit: Also, there is a "loyalty" system with companion characters. Basically, you are presented with opportunities, in text, to add a loyalty point to one character or another. Loyalty points unlock dialogue options in camp. Companions also have abilities that only unlock when they reach a certain loyalty score.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I quite like that the Bravado system rewards aggression and risk taking but can also lead you into traps/over confidence if you don't think things through.

Only in Chapter 1 but as Saduj says combats can be pretty lethal and difficult. Rifleman in elevated positions will really take no mercy on any character you leave out in the open.

I do miss the absolute chaos of the first game where you could have an entire map's worth of enemies engaged in combat. This one tends to rely a little more on quite tightly designed set piece battles so far it seems.

Might change in later chapters to be fair.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom