Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Has the Codex been getting better? (eeeeww)

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think so. It's starting to resemble the period when we still had hope (2002-2003). I hope one day we can get more stuff like this too (one of my first Codex memories :love:).

p.s. I only just now realized it was written by Chris Taylor and not Chris Avellone. 13 years, ffs

WhiteGuts

Arcane
What the codex lacks the most are editorials and articles on specific tropes (uuhh... why fantasy sucks! why sci fi sucks!), mechanics (types of turn-based combat systems), subgenres (xxx's guide to dungeon crawlers), general components (music, art) and super-specific components (bitmap fonts, splash screens). Stuff that aren't reviews, previews, interviews – on topics that you wouldn't really find elsewhere.

As for the forum, it's always been shit lololl.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We have three Codexers directly embedded in a team that's working on a successor to Planescape: Torment, a steadier stream of reviews and content than ever before, and the ability to get Chris Avellone to publicize indie RPGs that we like upon request.

But there's lots of thread merging so yeah everything is shit

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, one positive....

...When I joined up for the first few years it was pretty much just self-flagellating megathreads about games everybody hated because there was literally nothing else to play. Dicklord retards aside, at least we actually have real games to shit-talk these days. And honestly, what else matters?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I think the site was a lot more interesting circa 2010 when fellows like Andhaira and Prosper were allowed to roam free (Prosper wasn't confined to Prosperland)
It was more interesting when Andhaira and Zerotol bickered like an old married couple in every thread. :M
On the one hand, you are right. They are guilty pleasure and have their share of problem. On the other, today you rarely see quoted post with "This" or :brofist:.

laclongquan

Arcane
In my opinion, here is what I believe is wrong with the codex:

1. DarkUnderlord doesn't even play or discuss with us anymore. Seriously, our glorious leader never gets involved anywhere but Site Feedback.

Shut your fucking trap you fool! The few times DU deigned to play with us we ate all kinds of shits. Let fucking sleeping dragon lie!!!

Copper

Savant
We have three Codexers directly embedded in a team that's working on a successor to Planescape: Torment, a steadier stream of reviews and content than ever before, and the ability to get Chris Avellone to publicize indie RPGs that we like upon request.

But there's lots of thread merging so yeah everything is shit

Jury's still out on whether sea and Brother None disappearing into wage-slave radio silence is a net gain as far as the Codex is concerned, I'd say. Sure, it's great they got jobs and all, but it's not like they're contributing anything of substance back here anymore.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
2013 newfags are shit.
What in Davy Jones’ locker did ye just bark at me, ye scurvy bilge rat? I’ll have ye know I be the meanest cutthroat on the seven seas, and I’ve led numerous raids on fishing villages, and raped over 300 wenches. I be trained in hit-and-run pillaging and be the deadliest with a pistol of all the captains on the high seas. Ye be nothing to me but another source o’ swag. I’ll have yer guts for garters and keel haul ye like never been done before, hear me true.
You think ye can hide behind your newfangled computing device? Think twice on that, scallywag. As we parley I be contacting my secret network o’ pirates across the sea and yer port is being tracked right now so ye better prepare for the typhoon! The kind o’ monsoon that’ll wipe ye off the map. You’re sharkbait, fool. I can sail anywhere, in any waters, and can kill ye in o’er seven hundred ways, and that be just with me hook and parrot. Not only do I be top o’ the line with a cutlass, but I 'ave an entire fleet at my beck and call and I’ll damned sure use it all to wipe yer arse off o’ the world, ye dog. If only ye had had the foresight to know what devilish wrath your jibe was about to incur, ye might have belayed the comment. But ye couldn’t, ye didn’t, and now ye’ll pay the ultimate toll, cretin. I’ll shit fury all over ye and ye’ll drown in the depths o’ it. You’re fish food now.

:codexisfor:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Technically I'm from NMA. NMA was the first internet forum I ever joined. Mind you not much else was around then except for, I think, the official Interplay forums.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jury's still out on whether sea and Brother None disappearing into wage-slave radio silence is a net gain as far as the Codex is concerned, I'd say. Sure, it's great they got jobs and all, but it's not like they're contributing anything of substance back here anymore.

They also started guzzling kool-aid regarding certain matters to fit in with their company's culture. That can change the nature of a man.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
DU you're a faggot because you've removed all those glorious "fan made fallout" links from your sig.

The wound never heals.

:outrage:

laclongquan

Arcane
Technically I'm from NMA. NMA was the first internet forum I ever joined. Mind you not much else was around then except for, I think, the official Interplay forums.
The days of glittering gems of hatred I think. The time when we trolled gamespy sites, yahoo groups, gamefaqs forum (I know, but it's the only game in town around that time) and neoseeker. RPGdotnet I think.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Wasn't DAC also around at the same time? I forget.
DAC formed after NMA, it was an exodus of a group of NMA-ers based on something or another. I think dude_obj (from NMA) had something to do with it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I also have an opinion about the OT of this thread. I think the discussion of RPGs that aren't mainstream is quite good. I find that a lot of the same people contribute to those threads, and this is even more widespread in the strategy and sim forums because they're less frequented. The RPGs that are more popular (your Beth, inXile, Obsidian produced stuff) tend to draw more shit posters or those with less interest in an analytical approach to discussion in general. My brief forays into General Games shows that the more popular the game, the worse the discussion. In general, the quality of discussion for a given game seems to be inversely proportional to its popularity. That being said, some of the big releases have some very good analysis and breakdown posts in them, but those conversation threads get swamped out from shitposting.

All in all, if you know how to observe, read and follow the codex it seems like you can get quality game discussion and analysis without torturing your brain too much.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ok, I have the time, so here's my wall of text on the matter:

I think that the codex has gone downhill, but maybe that's because of my reasons for liking this site in the first place. Come 're and let grandpa Lambchop tell you a story...while stroking your hair gently...oh, so gently...
(this was somewhat covered on the first page by that quote and i know you don't care, but shut up)

I first started coming here - I think in either late 2002 or 2003. I had been playing a lot of Arcanum and wanted to know others' opinions on it or some such. Either Terra-Arcanum got me here, or vice versa - I don't remember.

What I discovered was a group of gentlemen with refined tastes in RPGs putting up intelligent and harsh critiques of the latest mainstream RPGs and also recommending oldies that had slipped by me. This was so refreshing. Back then I had actually been subscribing to games magazines because of the demo discs and had made some bad purchases because of their overly positive shill reviews, but that shit wasn't tolerated here. "The Codex Does Not Scale to Your Level" - it was a cheesy thing that I think VD came up with during the Oblivion days, but in the beginning it was true.

I kept coming back and reading the site and people's opinions because I knew they would hate the shit I hate (lack of choices and consequences, shit plot, shit quests, dull gameplay) and therefore, I could make informed purchase decisions and not waste my hard earned money on decline like I had in years past -as well as discover new and interesting titles. There were little patches of drama with Rex and also some drama queens, but on the whole, the site held together pretty well.

Then came Oblivion. It was bad enough that there were some Morrowind fags here who wouldn't admit the game had flaws - heck, I enjoyed my playthrough, but I am the first to admit that Daggerfall was a far better game - but then the Oblivitards invaded, eager to defend their favorite game from VD and company. Some were converted, but others just hung around like a bad fart afterward, enjoying the negative atmosphere and thinking that the codex was about being edgy, but keeping their shit taste in games. They brought decline, but the worst was yet to come.

Fallout 3 - that was when shit fell apart.

We all went nuts on Bethesda. We did everything possible to stop the hype-train, raiding their forums and posting negatively on every site on the internet. It did slow Bethesda slightly, but the cost was pretty high. A lot of shitposters and newfags came in to defend Bethesda. They ruined the discuss with their idiotic arguments and tainted Codex popular opinions by sticking around. A good number of converts joined our ranks eventually, but too many of them stayed here thinking the site was a mini 4chan and not repenting of their pedestrian taste in games. Not sure if this is why Morrowind became one of "our" top RPGs of all time or if it was the influx of Oblivitards, but yeah, I wasn't happy about that.

Some time during all this Saint P went missing. Later VD was forced out of the staff due to him banning a couple posters who later hacked the site in revenge. (Some of whom I haven't seen on the site in years, so good job getting rid of the guy who actually cared about the site and keeping the ones who hacked it.) VD hasn't been as active here since and I think the site has suffered for it.

Now it's Kickstarter.

On top of our userbase becoming watered down from the pure-blooded antediluvians like Saint and Spazmo, we now have Kickstarter leading the decline. Bros are getting all caught up in the hype and then cementing themselves into fanboyism by donating sometimes hundreds of dollars. It's not easy to admit you were wrong about a game when you've followed each and every PR blurb with baited breath, but it's even more difficult to admit a game sucks when you've gone all in for $100+ and and have your name in the credits as a backer for. "Yeah, this game is shit and there's my name in the credits.", understandably doesn't do wonders for the ego. IMHO, the evidence of this is manifesting itself in our discuss and our site reviews. (Some would also say our Steam Curator page. *cough*)

So the things I loved about the Codex in the beginning - the sharp, witty, brutally honest reviews that put choices and consequences first and didn't tolerate decline - are no longer the only kind of reviews you are going to find on the Codex and it takes some time to filter through the shit opinions in this forum filled with '07+ newfags and the good for what it is crowd. That's why I have to say that we've declined, not inclined. Because the Codex seems to be becoming a less and less reliable resource for me. The forums are more active than in the beginning, but more isn't always better.

So is the entire site shit now? Basically, yeah, although when you compare it to SA, Gamefags and Qt3, it's still the best shit out there, so whatever. :M The good old days weren't perfect and maybe I'm looking through rose colored lenses, but I'd much rather the site traveled a clearer path of incline than we do now.

Anyway, vote lambchop. a vote for lambchop is a vote for :incline:.
lambchop will mail everyone free monocled parrots. +M
i am lambchop and i approve this message.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom