Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Heads Will Roll -- AUTHENTIC MEDIEVAL DATING RPG

Zariusz

Arbiter
I snipped the patch notes, while it's definitely a sizeable update to go along with the dlc it's not the Squad rework patch yet.
Was this Squad rework annouced or mentioned earlier? Because while squad had some use in mercenary chapter, in outremer they felt more like a distraction for enemies rather than actual help, their attacks hit rarely and at some point it was mostly just feints (i dont remember, did heat mechanic also worked on them?), overhaul is really needed. Also i dont like that even when upgraded to have some decent equipment they still look like dirty peasants.

Modron

Arcane
Expanded and more happy endings, there were a number of them you could reach in the base game.^ I think it had 10 or maybe more endings and a handful of them involved women.

Last edited:

TheKing01

Literate
Liking what I've played thus far. The dating sim-esque stat raising has always been a bit monotonous to me, but I'm willing to compromise since there aren't too many games like this.

PsihoKekec

Novice
Expanded and more happy endings, there were a number of them you could reach in the base game.^ I think it had 10 or maybe more endings and a handful of them involved women.

There were 10 endings originally and the proof that the York girl is the best girl is that her ending is the 10/10 ending. Even if she is related to the damn Freya.

The other women you could end up with were the Satanic Karen and the Outremer girl.

oscar

Arcane
This game is really rather good. Builds upon the Legionary's Life gameplay through but with a steroids injection. Different build varieties that functionally perform differently in combat (and excellent against some foes but struggle against others). Virtue system not just affecting the story but combat too (low virtue giving you access to poisons etc).

I even quite like the writing (especially in Chapter 5 back in England there were some moments that made me laugh) and tone. Just finished the Outremer route what had quite a cool ending (Apocalypse Now vibes).

If anyone reading this wants to try the game out for the love of God get Heads Will Roll: Reforged instead of just Heads Will Roll. It's a clear improvement in every way (and I wouldn't be surprised if the dev has lost some sales from people playing the fairly bare-bones original one instead). And play in HRW mode (where you get more starting points for getting further in runs). It'll take a few runs but eventually you'll end up with a powerful character who can steamroll even the optional fights.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

There were 10 endings originally and the proof that the York girl is the best girl is that her ending is the 10/10 ending. Even if she is related to the damn Freya.

The other women you could end up with were the Satanic Karen and the Outremer girl.
Now there are 11 endings. Today I reached 11th and it's pretty good. You end up without a wife, but as a ruler of a powerful city in Outremer (and probably a harem of Muslim beauties).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, so far I got 7 endings out of 11, romanced all girls except for the alchemist one (Anna) and I think I'm done with the game. But I'd love to know what I did not manage to achieve. So, the endings I reached are:

Ending 1 - after the lost Anglo-French war around Cambrai you become a mercenary in Rennes, Bretania. You work hard to secure Olivia's rule, don't mind the fact (or are oblivious to the fact at all) she's a fucking psychopath and a devil worshipper who baths in the blood of virgins. You defeat her enemies, marry her, and become the duke of Rennes. You need low virtue for marriage with Olivia to work, but in all my playthroughs it was low anyway.

Ending 3 - Ending 11 - after the lost Anglo-French war around Cambrai you become a mercenary in Rennes, Bretania. You work hard to secure Olivia's rule, but then find out she's a fucking psychopath and a devil worshipper who baths in the blood of virgins. She jails you with plans for a swift execution, but you manage to escape and after a brief stay in Paris accept the mission from the rich family of de Chantillons - to find the last heir of the house, who got lost on a crusade. You go to Outremer, but never find de Chantillon. You decide to return to Europe and pay the greedy captain 1000 coin for the trip - only to get lost somewhere at sea and never heard from again.

Ending 4 - after the lost Anglo-French war around Cambrai you become a mercenary in Rennes, Bretania. You work hard to secure Olivia's rule, but then find out she's a fucking psychopath and a devil worshipper who baths in the blood of virgins. She jails you with plans for a swift execution, but you manage to escape and after a brief stay in Paris accept the mission from the rich family of de Chantillons - to find the last heir of the house, who got lost on a crusade. You go to Outremer, but never find de Chantillon. However you manage to get into good graces of both governor of the crusader fortress of Damietta, and his daughter, lovely Emma. So instead of coming back to France to report on your failure, you marry her and become the protector of Damietta.

Ending 6 - after the lost Anglo-French war around Cambrai you become a mercenary in Rennes, Bretania. You work hard to secure Olivia's rule, but then find out she's a fucking psychopath and a devil worshipper who baths in the blood of virgins. She jails you with plans for a swift execution, but you manage to escape and after a brief stay in Paris accept the mission from the rich family of de Chantillons - to find the last heir of the house, who got lost on a crusade. You go to Outremer, traverse the desert to Al Mansur, find Renauld de Chantillon stricken with madness and are forced to kill him in a duel, after that, you return to France, earn your reward, and then can marry either Cecilia or Eva or simply continue your mercenary career.

Ending 8 - the Anglo-French war around Cambrai ended in a negotiated retreat. King Edward is dead and his son, Prince Edward, takes you with him to England to claim his rightful throne. However he faces opposition from the nobles gathered around the Lord Cantenbury. You take part in the civil war and when given an offer from Cantenbury, decide not to abandon the Prince's cause. After winning the civil war you decide to retire and King Edwards grants you some land and a title. You may marry Alyssa.

Ending 10 - the Anglo-French war around Cambrai ended in a negotiated retreat. King Edward is dead and his son, Prince Edward, takes you with him to England to claim his rightful throne. However he faces opposition from the nobles gathered around the Lord Cantenbury. You take part in the civil war and when given an offer from Cantenbury, decide not to abandon the Prince's cause. After winning the civil war you decide to stay in King Edward's service and are rewarded with an important title (baron, viscount or count) and large lands. But soon you are called upon again to protect the northern borders of England against the Scottish invasion. In York you get to know Lina the maid and unearth the conspiracy of death worshippers commanded by the man impersonating the mayor. You destroy the conspiracy, stop the Scottish assault on York and sign a peace treaty with the King of the Scots. After that you can marry Lina.

Ending 11 - after the lost Anglo-French war around Cambrai you become a mercenary in Rennes, Bretania. You work hard to secure Olivia's rule, but then find out she's a fucking psychopath and a devil worshipper who baths in the blood of virgins. She jails you with plans for a swift execution, but you manage to escape and after a brief stay in Paris accept the mission from the rich family of de Chantillons - to find the last heir of the house, who got lost on a crusade. You go to Outremer, but never find de Chantillon. Instead embark on a Crusader expedition against a rich Muslim city of Damanhur. You capture it after a long combat with several bosses and become its ruler, set up a dynasty that will last for another 100 years.

So, what did I miss? Never managed to win the war around Cambrai (despite doing everything according to orders, winning all the skirmishes and killing de Roche), did not romance the alchemist girl, didn't join Cantenbury's plotters and didn't see lands beyond Cambrai, Rennes, France, Outremer and England, if there are any. Do the remaining endings offer a satisfying conclusion to our hero's journey?

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Depending on where you send Lina,
you can also fail to uncover the voodoo in York and go out gloriously dying in the siege alongside the Sergeant.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Depending on where you send Lina, you can also fail to uncover the voodoo in York and go out gloriously dying in the siege alongside the Sergeant.
I sent her to Freya's inn. So I guess sending her beyond the city walls is a bad choice, that leads to one of the endings I never got.

Modron

Arcane
Ending 4 - after the lost Anglo-French war around Cambrai you become a mercenary in Rennes, Bretania. You work hard to secure Olivia's rule, but then find out she's a fucking psychopath and a devil worshipper who baths in the blood of virgins. She jails you with plans for a swift execution, but you manage to escape and after a brief stay in Paris accept the mission from the rich family of de Chantillons - to find the last heir of the house, who got lost on a crusade. You go to Outremer, but never find de Chantillon. However you manage to get into good graces of both governor of Damietta, and his daughter, lovely Emma. So instead of coming back to France to report on your failure, you marry her and become the protector of Damietta.

Ending 6 - after the lost Anglo-French war around Cambrai you become a mercenary in Rennes, Bretania. You work hard to secure Olivia's rule, but then find out she's a fucking psychopath and a devil worshipper who baths in the blood of virgins. She jails you with plans for a swift execution, but you manage to escape and after a brief stay in Paris accept the mission from the rich family of de Chantillons - to find the last heir of the house, who got lost on a crusade. You go to Outremer, traverse the desert to Al Mansur, find Renauld de Chantillon stricken with madness and are forced to kill him in a duel, after that, you return to France, earn your reward, and then can marry either Cecilia or Eva or simply continue your mercenary career.
If you don't go and find Renauld you also have the option to just return home instead of marrying Emma, I think this is the there and back again one.

oscar

Arcane
Damn this game went down some interesting narrative routes depending on which path you take. If you can make the doomed journey, finding Reynold as a medieval crusader Colonel Kurtz if you go Middle East or ending up against.. whatever the fuck this guy was (a demon? An alien? Satan himself?). The ambiguity if anything makes it all the more disturbing at the end of an otherwise very realistic game. First game I've seen in a long time that makes cultists seem genuinely scary instead of dumb morons.

8668757A5D0F8180AFA2E43FC5C37C2EB1A3BDAA

Gandalf

Arbiter
This game was on my list of games to play, but after seeing that creepy screenshot of the cultist I felt fear and I'm not sure I want to try it anymore and see things like that.

This begs the question, is the game abundant with this kind of content? Is it possible to avoid such horrors during playthrough?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This game was on my list of games to play, but after seeing that creepy screenshot of the cultist I felt fear and I'm not sure I want to try it anymore and see things like that.

This begs the question, is the game abundant with this kind of content? Is it possible to avoid such horrors during playthrough?
The game offers multiple paths. You must do things in a very specific way to even reach the cultists questline.

Though there is another satan worshipper in another questline. She's hot though so it's okay.

Lhynn

Arcane
Damn this game went down some interesting narrative routes depending on which path you take. If you can make the doomed journey, finding Reynold as a medieval crusader Colonel Kurtz if you go Middle East or ending up against.. whatever the fuck this guy was (a demon? An alien? Satan himself?). The ambiguity if anything makes it all the more disturbing at the end of an otherwise very realistic game. First game I've seen in a long time that makes cultists seem genuinely scary instead of dumb morons.

8668757A5D0F8180AFA2E43FC5C37C2EB1A3BDAA
I actually lost that fucking fight. Could not beat him.

Modron

Arcane
I actually lost that fucking fight. Could not beat him.
Crossbows are your friend, melee skills hit their caps pretty quickly but you can just keep training xbow skill with time, energy, and money being the only limitation. I would have taken him out before the other guy if I knew he was going to transform into a pain in the ass.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, I made the mistake of taking out the other guy, then after his transformation I could not hit him for a long time, and he got lucky. Anyway, RIP, ill try that path again in the future.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Launched the game and was immediately hit by the music from the Mystic Land trailer.

The developer of HWR is selling an OST with licensed music?

PsihoKekec

Novice
I would have taken him out before the other guy if I knew he was going to transform into a pain in the ass.

If I remember right, he also transforms if you kill his first form, so killing the edgelord in black first is the best option. And while the doppelganger has your stats and gear, he does not have your consumables and trinkets, so special effects trinkets will give you an edge, as will poison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom