Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, and it's not as if the cost is statted generously.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Warlock is so troll, use cards and discard "randomly" your best, hero power draws cards and costs not only manna but also life, summoning gate lolol everything becomes cheap now.
On the other hand his demons have really good stats.

Multi-headed Cow

Warlock's a lot of fun. He's weird, but he's maybe the most fun to play. Warlock and rogue are likely my top 2 for funs-per-minute.

This thread makes a lot of things clear
Like what dear friend?

Castanova

Prophet
You are just shit m8. My opponent always gets godlike cards and i get nothing wAAAah T_T. If you drafted correctly you would get good cards to play more often.

Doesn't change the point of my post. If you get bad starting cards and the enemy doesn't, you probably lose. Sure you can draft more 2s and 3s and maybe 1s but you can still easily get fucked on the opening draw. Since you're allowed to pick your attack target in this game, as soon as you get a board advantage in the early game it's trivial to keep it.

Just had a horrible run with an archmage in arena. That said I did get some more respect for mages in the arena, making a deck with them is hard. Maybe I will revisit my policy to never GG mages :M Will post that draft soon so that we can discuss!!! it.

On other fronts, I just hit one star masters with my hunter deck. Dunno how this reflects upon the hearthstone community considering I've had this game for 10 days in total and mostly been playing arena. Here is the deck:

GPZizpL.png

Note how it doesn't got any fancy legendaries or nuthin. The only cards there that you need to get in a pack is 2x tundra rhino, 1xstranglethorn tiger, 1x hyena, and even those aren't 100% needed. If I had moar cards I would look for something better than razorfen hunter, stranglethorn and eventually ironfur grizzly. Maybe I'd replace arcane shot with the release the hounds cards

Last edited:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You are just shit m8. My opponent always gets godlike cards and i get nothing wAAAah T_T. If you drafted correctly you would get good cards to play more often.

Doesn't change the point of my post. If you get bad starting cards and the enemy doesn't, you probably lose. Sure you can draft more 2s and 3s and maybe 1s but you can still easily get fucked on the opening draw. Since you're allowed to pick your attack target in this game, as soon as you get a board advantage in the early game it's trivial to keep it.

First, not probably, merely more likely. Second you described the bane of pretty much every card game in existence. Randomness will always play a huge role in P&P and card games. Either embrace it or play chess or something.

J1M

Arcane

Is the point of your post is that Hearthstone would be better if it were more like chess and the majority of matches between top level players ended in a draw?

Cromwell

Arcane

Is the point of your post is that Hearthstone would be better if it were more like chess and the majority of matches between top level players ended in a draw?

They do in Chess? Hearthstone would be better if there was a little more emphasis on gamemechanics like in magic for example and a little less on all the bling around it.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Another bad arena run(3-3). Two out of three loses were against priests. A shocking revelation I know, but since this is beta blizzard will fix things :M

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Bah, but that's a shody argument, because if it were true it would highlight that in Hearthstone the only way a skilled player could win against another skilled player is by pure luck. In other words it's not much of the game where the outcome is determined by your lucky card draw. Which, incidentally, would make it pretty shitty. Luckily that's not the case.

J1M

Arcane

Bah, but that's a shody argument, because if it were true it would highlight that in Hearthstone the only way a skilled player could win against another skilled player is by pure luck. In other words it's not much of the game where the outcome is determined by your lucky card draw. Which, incidentally, would make it pretty shitty. Luckily that's not the case.
What is a shoddy argument? You are aware I'm not advocating a position here? People still win in chess. Sometimes you lose because someone bluffs you or a mistake is made.

Another bad arena run(3-3). Two out of three loses were against priests. A shocking revelation I know, but since this is beta blizzard will fix things :M
That's a perfectly average run though. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I drafted a priest just now. Got 3 mind control. Stole two enemy 8/8 taunt protectors from enemy druid in a row, felt all dirty :M The win condition of this deck is "steal the enemy win condition" :M

Castanova

Prophet
5-2 with a Priest. I've got 6 minions, he's got 2. I have one guy with taunt and I'm getting low on life but I have control of the game. He plays that card that steals a random enemy minion and steals my taunt. GG. The fucking luck in this game... now that I went on a winning run in the Arena and I've seen what it takes to win and what it takes to lose I feel like this game is worth about a week of playtime and then never touching it again.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
5-2 with a Priest. I've got 6 minions, he's got 2. I have one guy with taunt and I'm getting low on life but I have control of the game. He plays that card that steals a random enemy minion and steals my taunt. GG. The fucking luck in this game... now that I went on a winning run in the Arena and I've seen what it takes to win and what it takes to lose I feel like this game is worth about a week of playtime and then never touching it again.
I haven't gone below 4-3 these last two weeks and I never play priest or mage.
There is more to the game than luck.

I'm playing Rogue arena now and I must say taking two spiteful smiths was worth it. 3-1 so far.

Yea, there is a luck element but it's not the biggest part.

Is rogue underpowered in arena as people say it is, btw?

Also I reached masters 3 with my hunter deck now. Feels good man. Hearthstone players still shockingly bad though, there's no way I should be allowed that high.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yea, there is a luck element but it's not the biggest part.

Is rogue underpowered in arena as people say it is, btw?

Also I reached masters 3 with my hunter deck now. Feels good man. Hearthstone players still shockingly bad though, there's no way I should be allowed that high.
I love Rogue. Combo cards are still cool and works very well with Arena-favored cards.

6-2 now.

EDIT: only got to 6-3. I shouldn't have picked garbage cards like Shiv. Should have picked Sprint though.

Last edited:

DakaSha

Arcane
DakaSha and Zed don't understand the difference between "Luck is 100% of the game" and "Luck is too much of a component of this game" itt

No, we (or I) think you don't understand the difference between playing bad and luck being a large component of the game.
You claim luck is too large a factor while i win 10 games in a row with the last deck I created (while winning maybe 1/3 with prior decks and less experience)

I'm actually amazed at just how little luck plays a role considering this is a card game.

Having said that you seem to be focusing on arena and

a) I havent played it that much so what i say doesnt count much
b) From my experience it is much more luck dependent than constructed, but even here poeple who are obviously better than you are winning the majority of their games

That is still a fault with arena though, and not with the actual game/mechanics itself. If the (small) amount of luck factor in this game bothers you then thats that.. its a card game bro, its not going to be deterministic

edit: although if you count your random matchup as a luck factor then yes. Being matched vs priest lowers your win chance by like 800000%

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom