Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

J1M

Arcane
5-2 with a Priest. I've got 6 minions, he's got 2. I have one guy with taunt and I'm getting low on life but I have control of the game. He plays that card that steals a random enemy minion and steals my taunt. GG. The fucking luck in this game... now that I went on a winning run in the Arena and I've seen what it takes to win and what it takes to lose I feel like this game is worth about a week of playtime and then never touching it again.
I wouldn't exactly call 5 wins a 'winning run' in Arena. Unless I end up with spectacularly bad picks (no weapons, no aoe, 2 x Young Priestess as rares), 5 wins is a given.

Blizzard seems to agree, the point that rewards really ramp up at is 7 wins. Realistically though, the mitigation of randomness is a part of the game. It is as important as maintaining card advantage or board control. Sure, you can win without any of these things, but not consistently.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
My favourite thing's butthurt people that let the timer run out when they're already doomed with no cards on their hand.

Multi-headed Cow

Played against a guy that was using a bunch of weaponsmiths (The +1 attack to a random creature kind), young priestesses, and those 2/1 stealth worgens. He didn't consistently beat me with that, but watching stealthed worgens steadily build up puts you in oh-shit mode pretty fast. Was kinda fun.

My favourite thing's butthurt people that let the timer run out when they're already doomed with no cards on their hand.
Yeah, I don't understand that either. Absolute worst I'll do to an abominable priest that mind controls and shadow words everything is... Not tell him well played at the end of the match. And I don't well played bros when we play 'cause we usually play at least a few games at a time, so what the hell.

Actually seen a variety of weird temper tantrums though. Spamming emotes if they're losing (And in one priest's case, winning), prolonging the game when they're winning (Not miscalculating damage and not killing you a turn when they could, just completely filling the board while you have 2 life, shit like that), waiting out the timer, etc. Had one guy (Druid against my mage, I don't normally play a bunch of mage but I had a quest for it so I HAVE AN EXCUSE) just concede the match by turn 5. I have noticed people are more well behaved in arena though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The only emotes I use are Ooops when I do something shitty, Well played when I win and the opponent has already said Well played, and Threaten when the opponent takes an insane amount of time.

DakaSha

Arcane
Played against a guy that was using a bunch of weaponsmiths (The +1 attack to a random creature kind), young priestesses, and those 2/1 stealth worgens. He didn't consistently beat me with that, but watching stealthed worgens steadily build up puts you in oh-shit mode pretty fast. Was kinda fun.

Those two cards (and ESPECIALLY the young priestess) are perhaps my fav cards int he game right now. Along with the blood imps when im playing warlock. +1Hp makes a really big difference

Castanova

Prophet
Yes, yes, you're all so very good at this game and I'm so spectacularly bad. And, to boot, I'm delusional. I guess that's why my last Arena run ended as I described (<17% chance of stealing the perfect minion from me). Oh, and I just played another Arena round. Got 5 wins, lost the third game against a Mage who had 3 Flamestrikes among several of the rest of the Mage's ridiculous cards. He had like 10 life left and I had enough buffs to kill him in one turn but who cares when you topdeck board clears and taunts every turn. I haven't had less than 5 wins in a several sessions now but I guess I'm still butthurt and totally terrible. That's why Trump, who is a "pro" at this game (pathetic) only wins 75% of the time. That's 75% of the time... AGAINST RANDOM OPPONENTS. Sorry, but there's no game worth taking seriously where one of the top players in the world loses to random people a quarter of the time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Castanova wants to go pro like his idol Trump.

Fart Master

Savant
I've put about 10 hours on my friends account into this (he wont let me play arena though, 'DONT SPEND MY MOTHERFUCKING GOLD') and jesus fucking hm christ I despise priests. If I get my taunt RNG mind controlled one more time imma snap.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Hm, how's 75% a bad number in a system where randomness plays a big factor and with matchmaking present? If you're really expecting a "pro" to actually win 90% of the time, well, tough luck, not gonna happen in this game nor on anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:

DakaSha

Arcane
He completely and utterly fails to realize that this is how all card games work and likes to blame (lack of)luck for his spectacular failure as a player

Multi-headed Cow

NSFW mage being brutalized while justice screams retribution:

cDrftj2.jpg

Feels so good when a mage tries to burn you down but you get your healing cards in a timely fashion.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
mages not killing off sheep are the scrubbiest of scrubs

Castanova

Prophet
He completely and utterly fails to realize that this is how all card games work and likes to blame (lack of)luck for his spectacular failure as a player

That's funny because I've played other card games and games worthy of being taken seriously don't work like this. A pro poker player (a game outrageously based on luck) will win against random opponents > 75% of the time. Hearthstone, somehow, has managed to make luck more of a factor than fucking poker... yikes.

All your posts are about me as a person, who you seem to imagine as some clueless moron with no experience in card games of any kind until I stumbled upon Hearthstone where I've drooled my way to loss after loss ever since (go fuck yourself). I thought maybe there'd be some discussion in here but I guess you're more fixated on me. Interesting.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
sheeps OP. But now I'm having fun with Etheareal Arcanists + secrets and Faceless manipulators.
Oh, and I also tried doing something with all DEM murlocs. Man, they are awesome @.@ Lad who fought me last game totally ignored them, before he realized that my 5murlocks buffed each other to 4-5/5. Never ignore murlocs!

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

That's funny because I've played other card games and games worthy of being taken seriously don't work like this. A pro poker player (a game outrageously based on luck) will win against random opponents > 75% of the time. Hearthstone, somehow, has managed to make luck more of a factor than fucking poker... yikes.

All your posts are about me as a person, who you seem to imagine as some clueless moron with no experience in card games of any kind until I stumbled upon Hearthstone where I've drooled my way to loss after loss ever since (go fuck yourself). I thought maybe there'd be some discussion in here but I guess you're more fixated on me. Interesting.
Discussion? You've decided to quit like three times already. The only 'benefit' we'd get by convincing you to stay is your continued whinging.

Even if we wanted you to stay, it appears that we don't need to 'discuss' you into staying because you keep coming back. :lol:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

this game sucks it's all about luck = discussion; alright!

this isn't a serious TCG. it's not MTG or some other nerd shit (loels I play teh landcards and flip the floop and +5.35 my nekrodragons icecock with 15% fire resistance). I don't have to tell you this.

it's a casual game for people who have never played card games before. it sounds like you were expecting something else, which is a little dumb.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, Zed nailed it. My fault for harboring some vague sentiment Blizzard still liked to make games with actual depth. I should really stop expecting good things from them outside of the Starcraft franchise.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Ehh... do you know how poker is even played? In poker skilled player's winning often comes down to folding every other consequtive hand (i.e. losing a match) so that later when his cards align correctly after he has seen through his opponents he can win most crucial hands.

Which is the case in any card game if you look from broader perspective: for example in Hearthstone the strength of the deck is not determined by one or two runs - sometimes you will just get unlucky. Sometimes your opponent will just have a counter for everything you can put on the battlefield. But statistically, across multiple games good decks in hands of good players will triumph.

Also, no one plays card games for a single match or two. If you do this you are doing it wrong.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, Zed nailed it. My fault for harboring some vague sentiment Blizzard still liked to make games with actual depth. I should really stop expecting good things from them outside of the Starcraft franchise.
yeah starcraft 2 was so deep.

Zeriel

Arcane
yeah starcraft 2 was so deep.

Compared to Diablo 3/Hearthstone it's a fucking riddle wrapped inside of an enigma buried in the heart of a dying star.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom