Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, one question - does a middle range tempo Mage have even a chance against Zoos and face Hunters?

Because right now I'm debating two options - either concede right after I see it's another Warlock/Hunter or play a different class.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What's a middle range tempo Mage?

Zoo and Hunter can screw anyone. You learn to live with the butthurt I guess and in time you'll learn to play against them better. You can also tech against them, if you face them a lot, with heal/taunts/etc.

GrainWetski

Arcane
no need to be mean man, i know it's probably not viable, it was just some silly idea
i'm going to cry in the corner now
Mean? What?

I'm currently playing Totem Shaman and Oilish Burgle Rogue. Neither is very good at all, but they're fun. It's pretty great how often you get legendaries or cards that counter the class you're against with Burgle.

Mystary!

Arcane
You could try to go more mech oriented. It fairs better against early aggression as often times you'll simply be able to out aggro them.
It's fairly cheap to craft too I think? Antonidas has great synergy with it because of all the spare parts you'll end up with, as they count as spells.

Andhaira

Arcane
And that's assuming you can survive well into turn 12 or so. Rhonin is 8 mana. Nef is 9 (I think)? Saraad requires 7 to get at least one spell. Malygos is a 9 drop. That's a lot of somewhat dead turns to be playing large minions to prime up for some kind of 'spell-splosion.'

Against facetard decks, yes you usually won't get a chance to play higher cost cards. But that is what the rest of your deck slots are for, to ensure you can survive until later turns.

MEN!

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Meanwhile in in Europe

UncleSam beat an actual fully decked out mech mage who was rank 20 while running this to get some warrior level/quests done:

7Sva2ZA.jpg

literally just a mishmash of whatever okay cards I got from packs put into a curve

:lol:

poor, poor men

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man, a 7-3 arena run just now.

I got a Pally but my last one was 1-3 so maybe class doesn't matter that much. I didn't even have Truesilver, Hammer, Equality or Consecration this time (never showed up at the initial draw). Only 1 secret too.

What matters much more is the initial draw and then tempo draw. Whenever I had a heavy hand the first 3/4 rounds I lost. If I could follow the curve somewhat reasonably I did very well. So no Truesilver, no removals but divine shield is OP as fuck. I had two Protectors and a few other divine units. Plus Coghammer did some serious work too even though Truesilver is probably preferable. Two Blessings of Kings is incredible too if you luck out and don't go against Hexes or Sheeps which I didn't.

So the lesson probably is, as long as you're not a complete retard luck rulez in Arena. I bet even noobs could go all the way and even the Trumps and Kripps of the world lose 1-3 now and then.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
There was a Reddit post about how much people win in arena, on average. TL:DR - Most people have 3 or less wins, unless Blizzard is cooking the numbers, which isn't out of the realm of possibility. But still my main problem is that the ladder is boring as shit. I you want to have fun with cool decks, you simply have to have all of the OP cards.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Man, a 7-3 arena run just now.

I got a Pally but my last one was 1-3 so maybe class doesn't matter that much. I didn't even have Truesilver, Hammer, Equality or Consecration this time (never showed up at the initial draw). Only 1 secret too.

What matters much more is the initial draw and then tempo draw. Whenever I had a heavy hand the first 3/4 rounds I lost. If I could follow the curve somewhat reasonably I did very well. So no Truesilver, no removals but divine shield is OP as fuck. I had two Protectors and a few other divine units. Plus Coghammer did some serious work too even though Truesilver is probably preferable. Two Blessings of Kings is incredible too if you luck out and don't go against Hexes or Sheeps which I didn't.

So the lesson probably is, as long as you're not a complete retard luck rulez in Arena. I bet even noobs could go all the way and even the Trumps and Kripps of the world lose 1-3 now and then.
Not really luck. If you have a terrible/high curve opening hand you're most likely screwed. If you have a lot of low cost cards and ways to keep them alive like Coghammer and Argent Protectors it's a hard advantage for your opponent to overcome.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But still my main problem is that the ladder is boring as shit. I you want to have fun with cool decks, you simply have to have all of the OP cards.

For me ladder is not boring yet but it's true you can't get far with a non-optimal deck. With my normal midrange Mage I have a microscopical chance against Face Hunters, Handlocks, CWs, Patrons and Secret Paladins. Especially matches with CWs are just soul crushing.

Arena is super fun but my score so far is 5-3, 2-3, 3-3, 1-3 and 7-3. On average that's just breaking even, confirming your numbers. Not a profitable undertaking. And a cash ticket is almost 2 jewro, that's a bit too jewy. I wish Blizz gave us some deals on that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The more you do Arena the better you get at it. I can only do it every so often because the pace is usually too slow for my tastes.

Zeriel

Arcane
Okay, I'm having one of those silly arena draft runs. 4x Blessing of Kings, 3x consecration, and some other stuff. 7-0 so far. I feel like the only way to lose is mana curve, my 4 mana bar is maxed, just waiting to lose 3 times in a row to some crazy rush deck. Only mentioning it because I don't think I've ever had 4 of a (decent) card before.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At turn 1 you always draw a 1-mana card, turn 2 you draw 2-mana card etc.

Super uninspired. By now I basically regard Brawls as an especially annoying way to get a pack.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I just got all the basic cards for priest. You guys were not kidding, it is going take some major time or money to catch up. That being said, I am enjoying HS (for now).

Andhaira

Arcane
Busted open a sweet Brawl pack. 2 epics, 1 rare. Not exactly the golden thalnos I keep hoping for but getting there!

edit: Also had a shit arena run of 2-3, but got a nice pack. It was TGT and had 1 epic (recruiter...I want YOU MEN)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just got all the basic cards for priest. You guys were not kidding, it is going take some major time or money to catch up. That being said, I am enjoying HS (for now).

You're probably in the same spot as me...started playing a month ago.

Problem for s new player is - you just don't play as much as you'd like to. You can't meaningfully climb the ladder without investing at least 100 bucks (preferably 200, with 2 expansions and 2 adventures out). And going F2P you can reasonably expect doing one Arena run every two days, on average.

So you do your dailies, that's 2-4 Casual matches, or about half-hour gameplay, a day. And one Arena per 2 days, that's about 5-6 matches on average. When I got into HS I was on a sick leave for 2 weeks and I really wanted to play most of the day but couldn't. Sadness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom