Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

J1M

Arcane
They said they don't ever want to allow mill decks, so not sure about that analysis.

Then again, Blizzard loves to say X, then do Y.
You can flood an opponent's hand with stuff like lorewalker cho and that murloc right now. It is just difficult to do. With the Baron (double deathrattle) and the swords, that is some more draw for your opponent. I don't think it will be very useful, but it is there to play around with.

Zeriel

Arcane
Didn't think of the Baron. That does kind of make me reconsider the idea. With the right combination of low cost spells + Cho, it's actually sort of viable, I suppose.

If only there was a Battlecry version of the Baron, then you'd really be in business.

J1M

Arcane
Guessing they'll charge around 1,000 gold/$10 per 'wing.'
Sounds about right. They are releasing them a week apart, and I'd say expected gold gain is about 500g per week.

The sale/squeeze will probably go down like this:
-First wing free. Get some ~500 bonus gold for completing a solo scenario and the challenge modes. +500g from normal play.
-Second wing paid for from previous week. +500g.
-Third week you are sitting 500g short and break down to buy the third wing because your friends are talking about it. +500g
-Pay for fourth week with gold.
-Fifth week, you caug

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wouldn't expect them to give gold rewards for beating it but that'd be nice.

J1M

Arcane
Wouldn't expect them to give gold rewards for beating it but that'd be nice.
They give 100g or a free pack for things like unlocking all of the heroes, getting the basic cards, completing your first game in play mode, etc.

It is standard psychology for free-to-play games.

Grinolf

Arcane
Strange, I assumed that Blizzard saved most of the undead themed cards for a new hero, since none of the four undead hero classes from wc3 are pesented in the game in any way. But instead they choosed to make them a neutral ones. Or they planning to release even more undead cards in the future?

As far as I know, idea of the deck, that overdrawn your enemy isn't a new one:

Still I would rather wait for revealing rest of the new cards instead of judging each of them individually.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
dancing swords is one of the worst cards I've seen

Eh? Most of my aggro decks frequently win with my opponent holding 6+ cards. The ultra-aggressive decks in this game don't really give a fuck about the amount of cards in the opponent's hand. If he starts casting all of them, he's won, doesn't matter if he has 3 or 6.

It would be a shitty card in Magic or DoC. It might end up being that in HS as well if it's not aggressive enough, but I wouldn't discount it outright. It's hilariously sucky in Arena though.

Grinolf

Arcane
Eh? Most of my aggro decks frequently win with my opponent holding 6+ cards. The ultra-aggressive decks in this game don't really give a fuck about the amount of cards in the opponent's hand. If he starts casting all of them, he's won, doesn't matter if he has 3 or 6.

Actually it matters, since all good decks have a ways to deal with early aggression, and the more cards your enemy has -> the bigger chance that he draw them. Like board clearers, such as Soulpriest + CoH and Equality + Pyromancer, or taunts like Ghost Wolves and Innervate + Bear/Ancient. All of them would be most likely devastating for aggro.

Also not all aggro decks are mindless rush to the face. Zoo Warlock despite being a very aggressive one rellies on enstablishing board control and having a card advantage with warlock hero ability. And it is currently the most popular aggro deck.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also not all aggro decks are mindless rush to the face.

Never made the claim. All I said was that there is no reason to discount Dancing Swords automatically because it generates card disadvantage.

Whether it will be good, horrible or merely decent I don't think anyone will be able to tell from seeing the card alone. Unlike MTG the frame of reference for new sets is pretty small.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
dancing swords is one of the worst cards I've seen

Most of my aggro decks frequently win with my opponent holding 6+ cards.
there are much better 3 cards (especially class cards) even for an aggro deck

Didn't say there wasn't. Said it wasn't one of the worst cards in Hearthstone.
I know but you argued in favor of the card because you wrote enemy card draws don't matter in the context of aggressive play. I can't think of a 3 card I'd want less than this one, even running aggro deck.
I think it sucks more for constructed than arena.

Grinolf

Arcane
What's the deal with mages.l? Recently I started constantly run into some strange Frost Mage deck with a bunch of low cost minions in it. And it happens on decent (10-7) ranks, so tuat deck couldn't be as bad as it looks. Not that I complain, since it nice to see something new amongst constant huntards and zoo.
But I wasn't been able to even understand, what they tried to do to me, since they mostly conceded in the middle of the game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They try to combine low cost minions with freezing to stall you to endgame, and then kill you off with fireballs and pyroblasts. If it doesn't work, they concede. You have the right to cackle when that happens.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Still doesnt work on my computer, battlenet that is. Have tried everything but can never connect to servers. Will just get it for android down the line.

Grinolf

Arcane
They try to combine low cost minions with freezing to stall you to endgame, and then kill you off with fireballs and pyroblasts. If it doesn't work, they concede. You have the right to cackle when that happens.
Since I am now playing mostly as Priest in the constructed, it's not suprising that they failing miserably. Because stalling the game is very favorable for me, their low health minions is a good target for my AoE and they waste their fireball on my big creatures. Not to mention that I could heal myself from pyroblast range with my hero ability and holy fire. But it is not fun when I only finishing building my wall of 5-9 watchers and they immediately concede, because game is only starting for me. Still interesting how well they perform against someone other than Priest. Becauase as Priest I also get raped without a chance by Miracle Rogues. And other Rogues aren't nice either. And as a Shaman I am not very good against hunters, but in that case game is still hardly onesided.

So I downloaded this on my tablet to get "credits" to exchange for a $10 gift card by promoting it, or something. I had to play it for 30 seconds. Played until 4 a.m. and got hooked. Fuck this shit.

The reminds me of the good oil' days of playing WoW and Burning Crusade, ones that I would like to relive, if not for mmos being a colossal waste of time and pure retardation and boredom.

But fuck me if that circa-vanilla WoW setting isn't amazingly fun.

Grinolf

Arcane
Sometimes game just loves you:
K3iMoLU.jpg

Few pretty weak cards there and mana curve totally screwed, but who cares about such little things when you have 5 fucking Fireballs with some nice addition like 2 Flamestrikes.
If I don't get 12 win with it and it wouldn't be because of similiar craziness I should stop respecting myself.

Zeriel

Arcane
I've gone 10-0 before and then lost 3 games in a row. Never underestimate the insanity of arena.

Grinolf

Arcane
The only obvious weakness of this deck was a lack of early game removals. So I wouldn't be against drawing a couple of frostbolts on top of that. So my enemies had a chance to pull some crazy shit before I would have a mana to cast a fireball. I only had murloc with charge as some sort of spell, but 2 attack is useless against 3 health minions. But in the arena crazy early game starts are unlikely, so one don't usually expect from a Warrior to take his axe for clearing my board, then put Raging Worgen and cast slam and rampage on him next turn, that was followed by Arcanite Reaper.
So it was only 12-1. Which wasn't that unexpected, since it was likely that I would see at least one other than mine crazy deck in the run. Only not from Warriors of all classes.
But 12-0 challenge still remains unbeaten for me. And I probaly wouldn't draw a deck such suited for beating it in a long time.

J1M

Arcane
The ranked ladder is interesting. To progress, one collects stars. Stars are generated by low rank players and win streaks. Because of this, seasons that have a large influx of new players (who by definition lack the card collections and experience required to make it to the top) will be easiest to reach legend in.

This is kind of ironic because the final source of stars is legend players losing to players who aren't at legend rank yet. Another source of positive feedback in the system.

A strange way to structure a laddder. One that also leads to it being easier to rank up later in the month and that bot accounts designed to lose over and over benefit all real players...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am having my best arena run so far, with a Shaman of all people. I've never had particularly good results with this class, but a quite ridiculous draft helps a lot (four three Silver Hand Knights and three yetis, among other stuff).

Ten wins and two losses so far. One loss was avoidable, as I've made some mistakes against a secret-flinging Hunter. The other was a straight up Priest rape, with me drawing badly too (no 1-3 turn plays at all in hand), I had nothing on him.

I will post my whole deck when I finish the run, because it really was an incredible draw. There's maybe one below-average card overall. A better player could easily get 12 wins out of it, I'm sure.

EDIT: Here it is, because it might be a while before I have the chance to finish the run.

There is also a Forked Lightning at the top of the list.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_5.7.2014.12.23.38.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom