Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hellish Quart - 17th century historical dueling game with physics based combat

Zariusz

Arbiter
I hope that this game is going to have polish dub at release, another Kingdom Come like situation would be shitty. Actually i have certain idea, it could have "one true dub" version, and by that i mean characters speaking in their own native language and sometimes speaking in broken version of other language depending on circumstances or with some translator sidekick/servant etc. if this character was a noble for example.

which would produce exactly this result

unfortunately the full scene is not available, but after all you people don't understand what's going on so that makes it even.

I played the demo of this today. Ended up being so impressed that I just bought the full game without waiting for any sale. Fencing here is seriously exciting. There were times when I was throwing my hands in the air with excitement after scoring a hit.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played the demo of this today. Ended up being so impressed that I just bought the full game without waiting for any sale. Fencing here is seriously exciting. There were times when I was throwing my hands in the air with excitement after scoring a hit.
I got a ton of mileage out of Bushido Blade back in the day so this sounds exciting. My only stumbling block is lack of integrated multiplayer. That and a proper release date might still be two years off.

I got a ton of mileage out of Bushido Blade back in the day so this sounds exciting. My only stumbling block is lack of integrated multiplayer. That and a proper release date might still be two years off.

It's fun sparring with npcs, even if they somehow lack intelligence. And certainly I would love to do mp with this game :)

odrzut

Arcane
On this saturday there was the first tournament of this game. People played shared screen on caster's PC through parsec.

Highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiEhYRaKoQ
The whole thing took 6 hours, technical difficulties took probably 1 hour of these 6 :) but the game shows a lot of promise, if only it had proper multiplayer..

Played some more, will review:

-Sword fighting is realistic enough to simulate (in situation when both combatant use an one hand weapon in their right hands) an advantage gained when attacking the left side of an enemy. If you sidestep opponent the advantage grows exponentially, although it's difficult to execute consistently.
-There is a substantial difference in how you fight with a sabre and a rapier. I have no opinion on a two handler, but it seems that there are going to be quite different playstyles for each character. I would love to spar against a left handed sabre user, it would mix combat up.
-Positioning and foot work plays an important factor in combat.
-Battles are quick, you will usually ko opponents in 5 seconds if you play aggressively, however you can lightly wound opponents which noticeably reduces their battles proves. Wounded opponents are susceptible to the tactic, in which you just defend and counterattack.
-When you lose to the enemy it feels fair, you usually see what you have done wrong, however a fight replay option would be welcome.
-I am somehow interested if fighting against multiple opponents would be possible in the engine. The player movement is glued to the single enemy, but with some changes of how it operates and a caveat that you would need to eliminate opponents very quickly to not be swarmed, it could be fun for experienced players.
-I dislike how when you play survive mode it's loading every area, which takes time. The game is great for quick 15 minutes burst of play and having slow and frequent loading times destroys it. Would be great if you could just choose a single arena for survive mode. (Got to 8 stage if you ask)
-Quite often killing an enemy when he is landing a killing blow results in you both dying. It makes sense, dying won't necessary stop a movement momentum.
-There is a stamina mechanic, the more you defend without counterattacking/ moving out of enemy range the weaker you defence become. This promotes an active playstyle.

It seems that AI has trouble with two handlers. When I use them they are decent, but when AI uses them, it's together with Zagłoba, the weakest weapon/character.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
They added endless sparing mode in newest update, basically you fight with sticks, when you hit "killing" blow, you and your opponent move away slightly and guy who got "killed" will show place where he got hit with his hand and then fight starts again. No loading or time limit.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
When are they licensing this out to RPG studios?
This gameplay would work well in a setting in which characters can just rewind time and/or regenerate when they die and be as good as new in a second. So basically immortal and violence wouldn't really solve a lot of problems. You could bargain with other characters about the amount of rounds that each participant gets and then just try to kill each other. Also it would lend itself well to characters being able to mimic each other's playstyles or appearances easily, but with a very customizable playstyle and appearance for your own character.

I have been told that some parts of this universe are like that.

odrzut

Arcane
The problem with using this system in an RPG is that it's too realistic, and in reality three level-1 guards kill one level-20 hero 99%% of the time :)

I guess you could balance it by giving the player upggradeable "bullet time" and other unlockable skills. For a game like Witcher it woud work well with lore. I'd play Witcher 4 with combat like this.

Last edited:
It would work just fine with an RPG. For one thing, realistic combat making the player vulnerable is a great thing, because it would force more realistic plotlines and behavior. Can't fight 4 guards at the gate at once? Well, shit, you might have to look for more creative solutions, like you know, diplomacy, stealth, etc, while still having great combat for 1v1 or 1v2 situations. I always find 1 on 10 fights in RPGs dull as fuck, like you are fighting trash...

odrzut

Arcane
Depends on the game. If you're playing a duelist in historic setting - sure. If you're playing a party-based game in D&D-like setting then swarms of enemies are required from time to time to make crowd control characters and aoe skills useful.

Also if the combat is too binary - players will just save scum. Realism isn't the only or even the main concern in game design.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
To me, the general idea is that you want simulation, with the game world responding fairly realistically to your actions and choices, but you want it tweaked enough that a) it's got irl convenience (i.e. time and space a bit compressed, some abstraction here and there) and b) things are somewhat easier than they would be irl (i.e. whereas in reality even a highly trained person facing off against 4 has very little chance of survival, you'll more than likely squeak through, feel heroic and get the dopamine hit of success in a game if you play well).

A somewhat massaged realism hits the sweet spot, the limit being that you don't want things that would be extremely unlikely or impossible, therefore immersion-breaking irl. Magic changes that a bit, but magic can also be made "realistic" too, so long as there are rules and they're consistent.

The apparent paradox is that a high level of abstraction plus turn-based gameplay can be more realistic in this sense than realtime/action control. (Troubleshooter is a case in point: it's highly abstracted but amazingly simulationist. But even D&D has a healthy level of simulation.) But that's an artifact of limitations re. input (at most a "chord" on the keyboard plus mouse sweeps and clicks, or controller equivalents). If there were as many causal threads of connection between intention and physical outcome in a game as there are between a body/brain/senses and the real world, there would be no need for any abstraction (e.g. you'd have the Holodeck); unless of course you simply want game world rules that are different from real life rules, or you want a game where you can drink coffee at leisure and play at the same time (but you could do the same sort of thing as RTwP on the Holodeck - "computer stop" while you ponder).

ADL

Prophet
It sucks that Bushido Blade is tied up in Square Enix and possibly even Sony Computer Entertainment because I'd really like a third one. Not that either company has the interest or creative team to make another one. Anyways, yeah this game is cool but I'd really like some online multiplayer. Steam Remote Play Together doesn't replace that kind of functionality.

Luka-boy

Arcane
They added endless sparing mode in newest update, basically you fight with sticks, when you hit "killing" blow, you and your opponent move away slightly and guy who got "killed" will show place where he got hit with his hand and then fight starts again. No loading or time limit.
It's a pretty neat idea.

Lemming42

Arcane
Game is fun. Don't know shit about sword fighting so I just picked the woman with the feather hat and the cool rapier or whatever it's called, and then started spamming attacks like a coked-up spastic. Pretty consistently manage to win by just barrelling into the opponent's personal space and then attacking from all four possible directions in the space of about five seconds.

Survival mode would be cool if, as soon as you killed an opponent, another arrived immediately and the fight continued, as countless old fighting games did. The only real problem with this is that, if you play like I do, you spend more time looking at the loading screen than you do actually fighting. Plus it'd make it so that getting stabbed permanently fucked you up, rather than merely fucking you up for the 2 remaining seconds of the battle, which would be a lot more tense.

This looks absolutely amazing, but it's compeltely wasted on some combat game. These guys really need to figure out a way to turn it into a licensable combat sub-engine that could be used in proper games (RPGs, Action-Adventure games, etc). For example, Rockstar is working on some medieval GTA/RDR type game now, and if we know anything about Rockstar, we know the combat will be shit. Why not license something like this to them (while previously updating it to make it somehow integrate with other game engines)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom