Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

whatevername

Arcane
I didn't mind most of the changes, except the simplified resources, that was bad. Fucking Conflux pissed me off too, frst it didn't work, then I lost several hours of gameplay to its retarded cloud save system. But generally I had fun.

But I don't obsess over the Homam series too much, I prefer Disciples 2, King's Bounty and Eador to any of the Homam games. It's just I can't stand those H3 wahhabists fucking jumping up and down and allahu akbaring everytime someone suggests they dared to enjoyed other games of the series or the genre too.
Most of the games you're enjoying have braindead AI, so you're making the PC TBS Overlord Master Race look weak in the eyes of popamolers and consoletards.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's just I can't stand those H3 wahhabists fucking jumping up and down and allahu akbaring everytime someone suggests they dared to enjoyed other games of the series or the genre too.
You really are one of the most self-deluded users when it comes to your quest for looking more level-headed than others, stop projecting stuff that ain't happening. V, a game you're "allahu akbaring" in a very childish manner, is considered to be at least good for what it is by most users (myself included) and IV has its fans too.

VI is universally dissed because it's simply a bad game all around. Dumbing down, ill-concieved mechanics like three unit tiers, terrible technical issues coupled with lack of support, extremely hostile and intrusive DRM. But you didn't mind the changes and like other games (that aren't even very similar to homm for the most part) more. Cool arguments bro, you showed those morons.

hello friend

Arcane
Disciples 2
Disciples 2 was a step back from it's predecessor, imo. Too bad the original doesn't have a hotseat mode. That game is fantastic.

As a game judged on it's own merits, I'd say Homm6 was alright. But why play an alright TBS when homm3 never grows stale?

Edit: ^Also, lol at calling people childish for not agreeing with the hivemind. As if Codex consensus constitutes an argument in and of itself.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's just I can't stand those H3 wahhabists fucking jumping up and down and allahu akbaring everytime someone suggests they dared to enjoyed other games of the series or the genre too.
You really are one of the most self-deluded users when it comes to your quest for looking more level-headed than others, stop projecting stuff that ain't happening. V, a game you're "allahu akbaring" in a very childish manner, is considered to be at least good for what it is by most users (myself included) and IV has its fans too.

VI is universally dissed because it's simply a bad game all around. Dumbing down, ill-concieved mechanics like three unit tiers, terrible technical issues coupled with lack of support, extremely hostile and intrusive DRM. But you didn't mind the changes and like other games (that aren't even very similar to homm for the most part) more. Cool arguments bro, you showed those morons.

Yeah yeah H6 is terribru and you haet it. Fascinating.

But you start talking smack about special snowflakes and newfags and "street cred" don't go all pouting that you got slapped around. Now fuck off already.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Yeah yeah H6 is terribru and you haet it. Fascinating.

Your own opinions abou H5 can be summed up in a similar manner, y'know. Bloody H6 wahhabist :smug:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Your own opinions abou H5 can be summed up in a similar manner, y'know. Bloody H6 wahhabist :smug:

You're genuinely insane. All I've ever said was that H5 is probably a good game but with disgusting Blizzoid art style. And that I enjoyed H6. Which means exactly nothing. I've enjoyed even the remastered Disciples 3 and that's an average game at best. Whereupon the whole Spanish inquisition went fucking nuts, frothing at mouth about special snowlakes and newfags. Now that's some intense autism right there. You're like a bunch of triggered SJWs. Ya'll need to relax and take a deep breath. Jesus.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Disciples 2
Disciples 2 was a step back from it's predecessor, imo. Too bad the original doesn't have a hotseat mode. That game is fantastic.

As a game judged on it's own merits, I'd say Homm6 was alright. But why play an alright TBS when homm3 never grows stale?

Edit: ^Also, lol at calling people childish for not agreeing with the hivemind. As if Codex consensus constitutes an argument in and of itself.

D1 was great, agreed, but for me D2 was that tiny bit better, even though the Ruskis haven't really made any drastic changes to the base formula. But that gorgeous art and some great map and encounter design made all the difference.

As for H3, it had grown stale for me. Back in the day I played literally to death. Played and made a shitton of custom maps too. But then I tried other games of the genre too and loved some of them even more.

It's perfectly fine if you play an old classic because you can't find anything better. Hell I still play MOO2 regularly simply because in all those 20 years nobody has ever made anything that I would like better. Same for Alpha Centauri. But do you see me running around farting in people's faces because they enjoyed GalCiv or Endless Space? You surely fucking don't.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Stronghold creatures look a lot better than the other factions so far.

Carceri

Arcane
Disciples 2

D1 was great, agreed, but for me D2 was that tiny bit better, even though the Ruskis haven't really made any drastic changes to the base formula. But that gorgeous art and some great map and encounter design made all the difference.
What ruskis? D2 was developed by Strategy First IIRC.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Disciples 2

What ruskis? D2 was developed by Strategy First IIRC.

Well shit, for some reason I thought SF was only publisher for D2. My bad.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Map looks the same as H5 visually and mechanically(meh) ,lets hope the gameplay is more like it too .Who we are kidding the game will be bare bones and DRM ridden.

hello friend

Arcane
Better art direction, much better AI, better atmosphere.

Edit: Think there were some differences with how heroes work as well in the 2nd one I didn't like, but I can't say for sure. It's starting to be a while since last time I played them.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
D1 has better, more stylish portraits than second game imho.

62709_full.jpg

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Disciples 2 really does have unrivalled art for the style it occupies. Mechanics I'd agree that the first game is much better, though, Disciples 2 is a game you pretty much only play for the art and nothing else, they took the verging-on-linear gameplay of #1 and dialed it up to "why even fucking bother" levels.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Disciples 2 really does have unrivalled art for the style it occupies. Mechanics I'd agree that the first game is much better, though, Disciples 2 is a game you pretty much only play for the art and nothing else, they took the verging-on-linear gameplay of #1 and dialed it up to "why even fucking bother" levels.

I don't even know what "linear" would mean in a game like this. You mean some paths are guarded by neutrals? Isn't it pretty much the standard recipe for Homam-likes?

Anyway, enjoyment of a game is subjective. For you it might've been "why even fucking bother", for me it was "can't get enough of this shit". Enjoyed D2 more than any actual Homam, including H3.

Archibald

Arcane

What mechanics you are talking about? From my memory they are basically same just that second part added stuff like "defend" for battles.

Zeriel

Arcane

I don't even know what "linear" would mean in a game like this. You mean some paths are guarded by neutrals? Isn't it pretty much the standard recipe for Homam-likes?

Anyway, enjoyment of a game is subjective. For you it might've been "why even fucking bother", for me it was "can't get enough of this shit". Enjoyed D2 more than any actual Homam, including H3.

I actually have much more fond memories of Disciples 2. I loved the shit out of it. But it lacks what is to me a quintessential element of truly great strategy games: replayability. Once you've soaked in the ambience once, seen all the unit upgrades, the game is a utter chore to play. Or at least it was for me.

Might just be more mature to assume that while I loved everything about the aesthetics and setting of Disciples, the gameplay just wasn't for me. If there are people out there who legitimately loved replaying it over and over, that would seem to be the case.

What mechanics you are talking about? From my memory they are basically same just that second part added stuff like "defend" for battles.

This is going to be a cop out. I played through both 1 & 2 a very long time ago. I have very strong memories of finding the gameplay in 2 more reductive and simple, but sadly the details are beyond me at this point. Short of playing all the way through #1 again, I can't really offer you anything. Sorry, and you can assume you won the argument or whatever if that pleases you.

I think one of the elements was Disciples 1 having far fewer unit upgrades/branches and less importing through missions, which made each mission much more about that mission than relying on your single super party that you could never let take damage (#2), but I may be wrong on that count too.

A horse of course

D1 has better, more stylish portraits than second game imho.

62709_full.jpg

There used to be a mod that replaced all the D2 portraits with D1 versions. I can't find it anymore, sadly. I even made a thread asking about it here but nobody replied.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom