Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Naraya

Arcane
In other news, GDQ have added Hogwarts legacy and a bunch of other games, including GoW 2005, to their list of banned games.
2023: game banned from a speedrunning contest because the author of books the game is based on believes that it would be unsafe to allow "any man who believes or feels he's a woman" into bathrooms or changing rooms.

me::despair:

As soon as I found Quidditch is banned in the game I remembered the Quidditch video game that's actually very good, shame it isn't implemented in Legacy. The tutorial is a Hogwarts house, later on you play a national team.
DLC bait, 100% in a few months they're gonna squeeze money out of the potter heads with;

Quidditch DLC (There is the stadium for it, and a whole quidditch trophy room in the castle conveniently with empty placards)
Magical Beasts DLC (you have only one land mount and there are quests about mermaids but they never show up actually)

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I'd also say it is a fun game, but the 60€ asking price might be a bit steep given its overall shallowness.
That it's not the kind of game that is full of cRPG-style C&C allowing you to roleplay all the thinkable variants is just logical - this is a more casual game aimed at mainstream, after all. Not a hardcore gamercred experience.
So it's basically a ubisoft game? (Wish it hadn't been so hard to find actual opinions on the game amongst all the arguments about whether buying it funds the murder of trans people or whether it's actually wokehell itself.) The reviews I found seemed a bit kinder to it than that, but they weren't really from anyone focused on RPGs especially.

I'm not sure why people would've expected a super deep traditional RPG experience given the extremely pop cultural source material. Would be like expecting a capeshit game to be peak C&C.

As soon as I found Quidditch is banned in the game
Is this a colourful expression or is it actully banned in the setting? lol

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I guess it's a spoiler but if I was a HP fan I'd want to know given the promo material showed the grounds and a lot of hot, broom-related action.

Delterius

Arcane
is it justified in a way that is grounds for future dlc because man does that sound like an idea
Solve the murder that happened on the quidditch grounds and be rewarded with ... sportsball.
<protagonist>! the ministry of magic is threatening to remove Hogwart's tax exempt status unless bring back college sportsball. and yet that same tyrannical government body says we cannot have college sportsball in the scene of an unsolved murder. what shall we do?

hjinks ensue for $59,99

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Reminded me of this quote for some reason:

C__XZfQUQAAGwBZ.jpg
Alegria-eating-xer-children.jpg

Goya's Saturn Devouring His Children in the style of Alegria a.k.a. Corporate Memphis

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well.... she's swallowing ... uh... something. ???

I'm really not a fan of Avatar. I could barely watch the trailers.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's basically a ubisoft game?
Basically, yes.

With its open world filler activities actually being somewhat below the recent Ubisoft-esque offerings. There's apparently even less variety, especially in enemies - which is a shame considering how rich in creatures the setting is.

And with its combat being more interesting IMO (though obviously you have to put it to Hard), but I'm not that far into it yet so I'm not sure how well that holds up.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
With its open world filler activities actually being somewhat below the recent Ubisoft-esque offerings. There's apparently even less variety, especially in enemies - which is a shame considering how rich in creatures the setting is.
That's interesting, if only for how contrary it is to the reviews I heard. Which essentially claimed it had that elegant ratio of always introducing something new and novel so you don't feel like you've seen it all after an hour.

Please do update if your opinion changes at all as you get further into it!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's interesting, if only for how contrary it is to the reviews I heard. Which essentially claimed it had that elegant ratio of always introducing something new and novel so you don't feel like you've seen it all after an hour.
That's definitely true.
I'd say the game has an incredibly strong start and you're being introduced to new skills, activities, locations, etc. in a speed that's pretty wild for a game of this kind.
I have very little doubt that the strong start is a contributor in the very high reviews.
And kudos, really! If you can only make one part of your game really damn good, it should be the beginning for exactly that reason.

But once that front-loading is done, that's kind of it. I'd say that spot can be hit 5-10 hours in.
I'm sure you'll still get new spells that allow you to do things in "older" locations.
But if that's enough for anyone to explore everything there is really depends on your tolerance for repetition.

FFTW

Educated
The west has gotten way too f***ing insane. I seriously have started to loathe hearing the words "inclusivity" and "diversity". They used to be good and right words, but they have been twisted by the SJW mob into disgusting aberrations used for evil instead of good. Seriously, I wish I could delete these words from the f***ing dictionary lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom