Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I hear the game is good, like Chamber of Secrets good, or even better. Is it true?
Doesn't release for another two days, so you're gonna have to wait on that one unless you have a reviewer or two you really trust.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
The dodge roll "combat" gameplay looks so much like DA:I that I'm leaning towards 'wait till it goes on sale for $5 in a few years' when it comes to playing this.

Its a console game with a PC version , maybe the better way of describing it is " complex for a console game "

And Im playing DA:I at the moment so its definitely more complex than that

That bar is so low it touches the ground.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
ACG described the game as a buy and better than he expected.

Judging by the other reviews, it seems to be competently made and a love letter to the fans. Which, by modern AAA standards, makes this game kind of a unicorn.

That being said, it does look like a Ubisoft game and ACG did describe it as being something of a RPG-lite.

It's a shame all discourse around this game is some version of REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

:popcorn:

Best game I never bought, really.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's a shame all discourse around this game is some version of REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
A game with a minor trans character that incidentally funds a TERF through royalties or whatever was always going to create a whole spectrum of seething over nothing in this day and age, sadly. Dunno why people can't just decide to not buy it rather than trying to warp the whole conversation into culture wars knuckle-dragging.

Delterius

Arcane
A game with a minor trans character that incidentally funds a TERF through royalties or whatever was always going to create a whole spectrum of seething over nothing in this day and age, sadly.
oh you mean the perfect marketing winning hand destined to get a bunch of people to seethly buy your game on top of The Jo's IP monopoly on childhood and, apparently, magic boarding schools?

i wonder how many virgin souls were sacrificed to hell to make this happen

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
6uvXAUp.png

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent

This is actually great. The wokies are just going to scare the left-wing streamers, who will thus not stream the game, which in return will lead to views being funneled from those commie bastards to more based streamers.

Basically this is a stimulus package for non-political and right-wing streamers at the expense of the leftist ones.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
More seriously though, I wouldn't expect the codexers to be super interested in this game for many, many reasons.
wasn't academagia was rpg codex game of the year 2010

Hmm thanks for the recommendation.

Academagia looks like a small indie production with lots of options and RPG-goodness (and C&C?), which codex loves.

Hogwarts Legacy seems like a polished ubisoft game in the Harry Potter setting with some.... historical liberties taken.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Never read or seen anything related to harry potter, at all. Is it worth it at all to even get into now?
It seems abit too whimsical and faggy for my taste, and basically a kiddie-teen movie/show/game?

Is it worth it for a 37 year old grimdark lover and sour grumpy old man that hates most things in life?

thesecret1

Arcane
First impressions after a couple hours of playing: the level design is impressive. Hogwarts are like this giant convoluted maze (as it should), and there seem to be no fake doors at all – if you can see it, you can go through it. Wouldn't really call it an RPG (although it certainly borrows some mechanics) – it's more of an adventure game, about exploring the world, finding collectibles, using the spells you've found to solve small riddles, etc. In fact, finding collectibles is the main way of getting XP in the game – you don't get any for fighting stuff (and so far, there's been little to nothing to fight anyway) but for collecting all sorts of shit. Basically, if you want an exploration adventure, this is a game for you. If you expect a proper RPG, this ain't it.

Writing wise, it clearly tries to capture the atmosphere of the setting, with lots of environmental stuff going on. Ghosts chasing each other in the hallways, portraits playing music, talking mirrors complimenting you, etc. etc. It's all sort of light hearted, though I expect important plot points to go darker for contrast. Pozz-wise, it's not ideal, but it's not a tragedy either. You get token blacks thrown at you here and there, but about 80% of the people you encounter (as characters or as background staffing) are white brits, and the rest mostly seems to avoid any sort of controversial topic – the most I've gotten so far is some sheboon telling me about the magical place called Uganda. Uh, okay bitch, whatever you say... But as a whole, there's been no progressive shit to speak of, no muh slavery muh racism muh gender equality bullshit. Keep in mind though that you shouldn't expect this game to in any way be "19th century" as advertised. It is not. It is Hogwarts as depicted in the books and movies, with the same social and cultural norms. The 19th century thing seems to have mostly been put there so as to be able to avoid dealing with any of the plot shit of the books and have a new cast.

So far it's alright, I enjoy exploring shit. Keep in mind though that this is literally just first impressions, maybe things get worse later, who knows?

If enough people wake up to the evil inherent in the trans lobby and become angry (happening right now in the UK thanks to the Scottish prison scandal), the woke companies will back away. They won't want to be associated.
No offense, but is that your first current year?

More seriously though, I wouldn't expect the codexers to be super interested in this game for many, many reasons.
I'm thinking of picking it up, because in the end, it is likely a solid open world collectathon with nice artistic value. These games are very exhausting, and I'm still taking a break from touching a previous one of its kind.

Its a console game with a PC version , maybe the better way of describing it is " complex for a console game "

And Im playing DA:I at the moment so its definitely more complex than that
I strongly recommend playing it on a controller, if you haven't tried it out yet. It was designed to be played that way, and is incomprehensibly clunky with M+KB UI. It was like this since DA2, in which case, due to no gamepad support on pc, you straight out get the worst version of the game. The best currently is the series X port.

I am considering something different when I play this game and training in dark magic and joining Slytherin :cool:
There is an "evil" ending so that might be possible.

Never read or seen anything related to harry potter, at all. Is it worth it at all to even get into now?
It seems abit too whimsical and faggy for my taste, and basically a kiddie-teen movie/show/game?

Is it worth it for a 37 year old grimdark lover and sour grumpy old man that hates most things in life?
It's a series of books designed for 10 year olds. If you want a kid friendly series to rinse the misery of everyday life try Narnia instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom