Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Hagashager

Educated
In the past, Christians hated HP by it being "demoniac" and encouraging sorcery. Now wokies hate HP by it being "problematic" and encouraging transphobia. Same dogmatism.
Actually now the Holy Roman Church seems to love HP, not for the tranny polemic (I bet they don't even know what's the problem), but due to HP's anti-science sentiment (sorry, the article is in Italian):
https://www.avvenire.it/agora/pagine/harry-potter-una-magia-molto-teologica
Current Year Vatican is a bit of a mess, i.e. this is Jesus rising from a Nuclear crater.

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzNlNWQ5ZTA0YTllNmUxN2Q4NV81ODQyMjc1NTg2XzU0YTNmZWY3YTNfYi5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIjczMHg0ODcrNis2Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDkxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwiNjAweD4iXV0
I was raised Catholic. Some parts of my life were more faithful than others but Pope Francis sealed the deal on making me quit the faith entirely.

Fuck him and his kowtowing to entities like the CCP. He's a political hack more concerned with his legacy and status than any religious rhetoric. Evidently the God of the Papacy doesn't give a shit, so I wont either.

The game looks alright. The high budget atmosphere is exceptional, maybe better than Witcher. I have seen worse gameplay too. That they let you use things like instant kill spells or shrink something down and crush it are very positive. Combat does look very easy though, like a shooting gallery. That said, I don't have enough interest in HP for $60. This is definitely a purchase to wait for the steep discount in a year.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I keep scrolling and all I see is you lot talking about trans things. Very old, boring and useless.

I hear the game is good, like Chamber of Secrets good, or even better. Is it true?
Chamber of Secrets......good?
How is exploration? Does it let you discover shit on your own or are there checklists, markers, and waypoints everywhere?
thesecret1's posts said it's pretty good, actually made me want to give it a go rather than pretend to like I usually do.

When's it getting cracked?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
thesecret1's posts said it's pretty good, actually made me want to give it a go rather than pretend to like I usually do.
The previews and stuff made this look like it will probably be reasonably decent. More so if you're into HP or wizards, of course. I was never into it, but had some gfs who were and my wife is. I might check it out on discount at some point if the post-launch comments make it seem worthwhile once things settle down.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It would have to take a product of exemplary quality and vision to endear this forum to a modern year Harry Potter game.
Just two things:
Make it actually be on the 1800s with the mannerisms, culture and speech habits of the british people of that time but with crazy Harry Potter magic, you know they must be creative, they just need to summon some basic integrity from somewhere, I know, hard to AAA companies but not impossible.
Make main core loop be more than collect things, see cutscene and do pointless combat mini game. Make magic feel magic, Quest fo Glory games were wonderful at that with you solving interesting puzzles with magic, puzzles that werent made for 5 year olds.

With those two things, it becomes a good game, the way it is now it looks like a blatant consumerist bait fishing for nostalgia. I cant say it is low effort and awful because there is ALOT of garbage out there and it seems they put some basic effort, the art style looks nice, the School looks well realized and competently made, the writing seems to not be following obnoxious Millenium Writing trends. It is okay, I totally expect there will be a sequel and Warner Brothers execs will add a trans Selector Hat where it detects if you are trans and recommend for you to commit suicide to appeal to the trans community issues.

BruceVC

Magister
Never read or seen anything related to harry potter, at all. Is it worth it at all to even get into now?
It seems abit too whimsical and faggy for my taste, and basically a kiddie-teen movie/show/game?

Is it worth it for a 37 year old grimdark lover and sour grumpy old man that hates most things in life?
Yes the game will be worth it if its as good as it seems to be. I never read the books but I watched and enjoyed the movies. The books were generally written for a young adult audience but there is a real debate around adults reading these books and why adults read the books. They therapeutic and good for anyone, here is just one link about this

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/opinion/harry-potter-20th-anniversary.html

But going back to the game, I think its irrelevant if you read the books or a fan of the HP universe. This game is another opportunity to RP and adventure in a rich and interesting world. It ticks all the boxes for me and I always play a wizard as my main character so Im definitely playing it :cool:

BruceVC

Magister
First impressions after a couple hours of playing: the level design is impressive. Hogwarts are like this giant convoluted maze (as it should), and there seem to be no fake doors at all – if you can see it, you can go through it. Wouldn't really call it an RPG (although it certainly borrows some mechanics) – it's more of an adventure game, about exploring the world, finding collectibles, using the spells you've found to solve small riddles, etc. In fact, finding collectibles is the main way of getting XP in the game – you don't get any for fighting stuff (and so far, there's been little to nothing to fight anyway) but for collecting all sorts of shit. Basically, if you want an exploration adventure, this is a game for you. If you expect a proper RPG, this ain't it.

Writing wise, it clearly tries to capture the atmosphere of the setting, with lots of environmental stuff going on. Ghosts chasing each other in the hallways, portraits playing music, talking mirrors complimenting you, etc. etc. It's all sort of light hearted, though I expect important plot points to go darker for contrast. Pozz-wise, it's not ideal, but it's not a tragedy either. You get token blacks thrown at you here and there, but about 80% of the people you encounter (as characters or as background staffing) are white brits, and the rest mostly seems to avoid any sort of controversial topic – the most I've gotten so far is some sheboon telling me about the magical place called Uganda. Uh, okay bitch, whatever you say... But as a whole, there's been no progressive shit to speak of, no muh slavery muh racism muh gender equality bullshit. Keep in mind though that you shouldn't expect this game to in any way be "19th century" as advertised. It is not. It is Hogwarts as depicted in the books and movies, with the same social and cultural norms. The 19th century thing seems to have mostly been put there so as to be able to avoid dealing with any of the plot shit of the books and have a new cast.

So far it's alright, I enjoy exploring shit. Keep in mind though that this is literally just first impressions, maybe things get worse later, who knows?
What, are you sure there is no white guilt, oppression and inequality themes....thats it !!! Im not playing it ....unless there is lots of chainmail bikini armour :lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
basic integrity

AAA companies

Not to be edgy or anything, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a list of AAA game dev/pubs that I would describe as having anything near basic integrity.

Maybe some of the Japanese ones? Idk, I haven't played a japanese-made game in a while.

Hagashager

Educated
Japanese companies have no integrity either- they're in for profit every bit as Americans. The diffrrence is they're not as hung up on identity politics and the notion of manopulative marketing.

A Japanese company wont virtue signal at you, but they will gladly force you to buy lootboxes

Mauman

Scholar
Japanese companies have no integrity either- they're in for profit every bit as Americans. The diffrrence is they're not as hung up on identity politics and the notion of manopulative marketing.

A Japanese company wont virtue signal at you, but they will gladly force you to buy lootboxes
Some of the Japanese companies are more than happy virtue signal. Just look at the crap that Square has been up to lately.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. Just look at the crap that Square has been up to lately.

Square moved its headquarters to Commiefornia. By all intents and proposes, they are western. Same with CD PRojekt red. They adopted ESG score. Now they are western. That said, I don't think that RPG's from JApan are bad. I mean, when they force you to play as a retarded guy with crazy hair and a ludicrous sword saving the world, they produce bad games. But every single RPG from From Software is a masterpiece, from King's Field in 1994 to modern Elden Ring, as longs they allow you to create your own char, they tend to make good rpgs.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I keep scrolling and all I see is you lot talking about trans things. Very old, boring and useless.

I hear the game is good, like Chamber of Secrets good, or even better. Is it true?
Chamber of Secrets......good?
Maybe he means the old Chamber of Secrets on PC. Or console. Or the other console. Or Gameboy Color. As the Codex's number one Hairy Pothead gamer I have no idea.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
The first GBC game was fun to my 12-year-old mind. Especially because you could freely roam the castle between "classes". Not a bad little game considering that it basically played like babby's first JRPG.

Never got around to playing the second one, which must have been just about the last GBC game ever released. I read that the same developer, Griptonite, also made Prisoner of Azkaban for the GBA later, which I never realised before.

Did any subsequent games ever try to replicate this "open world Hogwarts", or is Hogwarts Legacy the first time since these handheld games?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You get token blacks thrown at you here and there, but about 80% of the people you encounter (as characters or as background staffing) are white brits, and the rest mostly seems to avoid any sort of controversial topic – the most I've gotten so far is some sheboon telling me about the magical place called Uganda. Uh, okay bitch, whatever you say...
That's probably a nudge at the lorefags as Uganda has its own magical school called Uagadou School of Magic.

BruceVC

Magister
You get token blacks thrown at you here and there, but about 80% of the people you encounter (as characters or as background staffing) are white brits, and the rest mostly seems to avoid any sort of controversial topic – the most I've gotten so far is some sheboon telling me about the magical place called Uganda. Uh, okay bitch, whatever you say...
That's probably a nudge at the lorefags as Uganda has its own magical school called Uagadou School of Magic.
I didnt realize this and it makes sense, Africa would have its own schools of magic and its based in Uganda

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Uagadou

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom